ADVERTISEMENT

Could Clemson really get gutted finally?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
If Venables went to OU and word is Tony Elliot to Duke a big possibility with all these other jobs open and staffs to fill, this could really make it hard for Dabo. Heck then he may take job at LSU if all his staff leaves Doubt any of it happens but whispers are strongest they have been yet for that staff to get poached.

Reactions: TAV31
Sounds likely at this moment. I’ll feel better when something officially happens. Clemson still a very good and attractive program. They’ll hire good coaches. However, they’ll never find the type of stability and loyalty they found with Elliott and especially Venables.

If Venables went to OU and word is Tony Elliot to Duke a big possibility with all these other jobs open and staffs to fill, this could really make it hard for Dabo. Heck then he may take job at LSU if all his staff leaves Doubt any of it happens but whispers are strongest they have been yet for that staff to get poached.
Aint gonna happen. Venables isn’t going to OU. I’ll bet you money on that one.

Reactions: 88cock and hwgcock
I don't think i ever see Dabo legitimately discussed as a candidate at another school. The lazy internet reporting has always speculated he could go to Bama but you really never hear that from anyone actually involved in the Bama situation. I think he retires at CU. Still, if some assistants leave busting up the stability they have had there that could make them more manageable for SC to recruit against and beat.

Will be interesting to see. Not sure OU would pick him. But they are going to pay their next coach $10+ million and not sure how he could look his family in the face and turn that cash down.

Reactions: chief2791
Dabo ain't leaving Clemson, at least not yet.

Will be interesting to see. Not sure OU would pick him. But they are going to pay their next coach $10+ million and not sure how he could look his family in the face and turn that cash down.
He’s said he won’t leave while his boys are there. He’s also made it known that he loves coaching and recruiting, not so much news conferences, fund raising circuits and back slapping. Dang, pay me over $2million to stay at a place I love, doing what I love vs $7million to potentially fail and be miserable, I’ll stick with the $2 million every time.

He’s said he won’t leave while his boys are there. He’s also made it known that he loves coaching and recruiting, not so much news conferences, fund raising circuits and back slapping. Dang, pay me over $2million to stay at a place I love, doing what I love vs $7million to potentially fail and be miserable, I’ll stick with the $2 million every time.
Its easy for you to sat that when you really dont have that decision to make.

I'll take the $7 mil with the big buyout and fail miserably all with a smile.

The really big scenario would be Saban retiring because he doesn't make the playoffs, and Dabo taking the Bama job. No Dabo, no Venables, and no Elliot? This would be a 10 year reset.
Not with their talent and pay scale. Premium second tier talent would flock their. They would just have to pick right. But they could pretty much have pick of the litter.

Agreed. Doesn’t he make like 2 mil/yr at Clemson? Is that not enough when he stands to make that much the rest of his career? And not have to deal with the headaches of being the head man. I just don’t know that he wants to be the guy. Especially at a high profile program like Oklahoma.

The really big scenario would be Saban retiring because he doesn't make the playoffs, and Dabo taking the Bama job. No Dabo, no Venables, and no Elliot? This would be a 10 year reset.
Well, if past is prelude, it could wind up being more like a 20-year reset. How long between Ford's last conference championship and Dabo's first one?

Reactions: Scuba_do
I've been hearing about Bama getting gutted just about every year with coaches and players leaving, and this year was supposed to be the big drop-off. So until I actually see it with either Bama or Clemson, SAME AS IT EVER WAS.

What a shame.

Reactions: caughtlookin
His son played his final game for Clemson Saturday night. He’s leaving to go to grad school. His other son is still a sophomore in High School. If Venables has any desire to be a HC…now is the perfect time to make the move. OU is a big time program where he’ll make tons of $ and be set win or lose. He’d have resources. It’s a destination job and a good one at that. He’ll still recruit and have every chance to have great classes. I’d expect him to do well there with that.

I think the bigger question is when the dust settles, is OU comfortable hiring Venables. If they could lure someone with HC success and a major P5 school, they might go that route. But I have never been so confident that Venables would take a job before, if offered. This one is too good to turn down.

I've been hearing about Bama getting gutted just about every year with coaches and players leaving, and this year was supposed to be the big drop-off. So until I actually see it with either Bama or Clemson, SAME AS IT EVER WAS.
I think there was absolutely a drop-off with Bama this year, the Bama of old would never struggle against a mediocre Auburn team and need four overtimes to squeak out a win. The problem is that Bama is such a good program that even their most vulnerable team in at least a decade is still 11-1, playing for the SEC title, and features the likely Heisman winner at quarterback.

Reactions: nocdoc
I think there was absolutely a drop-off with Bama this year, the Bama of old would never struggle against a mediocre Auburn team and need four overtimes to squeak out a win. The problem is that Bama is such a good program that even their most vulnerable team in at least a decade is still 11-1, playing for the SEC title, and features the likely Heisman winner at quarterback.

This. And the biggest difference is that Clemson never had that much coaching turnover like Bama. That was their selling point. They kept their core assistants there for years. Some critics felt it was for too long given their struggles this year.

Reactions: CarolinaBro
His son played his final game for Clemson Saturday night. He’s leaving to go to grad school. His other son is still a sophomore in High School. If Venables has any desire to be a HC…now is the perfect time to make the move. OU is a big time program where he’ll make tons of $ and be set win or lose. He’d have resources. It’s a destination job and a good one at that. He’ll still recruit and have every chance to have great classes. I’d expect him to do well there with that.

I think the bigger question is when the dust settles, is OU comfortable hiring Venables. If they could lure someone with HC success and a major P5 school, they might go that route. But I have never been so confident that Venables would take a job before, if offered. This one is too good to turn down.
Jake played his final game Saturday. Tyler is a freshman safety at Clemson

Agreed. Doesn’t he make like 2 mil/yr at Clemson? Is that not enough when he stands to make that much the rest of his career? And not have to deal with the headaches of being the head man. I just don’t know that he wants to be the guy. Especially at a high profile program like Oklahoma.
Let's think about it on a 5 year timeline. 5 years at Clemson, even at 3 million a year if they gave him a bump, is 15 million. 5 years at Oklahoma at 7 million (could be more, just a guess) is 35 million. I don't know if I'd ever be able to look my wife/kids/grandkids in the face again if I left 20 million on the table. Venables isn't that stupid IMO. I don't know if Venables would work out as the head guy at Oklahoma or anywhere else, but if Oklahoma offers, he's gone with swiftness IMO. If he fails, he can always go back to being a top-notch DC for 2 million a year, with the buyout/money in his pocket. No lose situation.

Reactions: caughtlookin
The commentators mentioned Saturday night that at least one of Venables' sons was planning on transferring to finish his career somewhere else as a grad transfer.

I find it perplexing that Dabo has won two NC, been in the NC picture five or six years, and his name never comes up for these big jobs. I wouldn’t leave CU either, they have the easiest path to the NC than any program in contention most years.
The same reason you don't hear Saban or Ryan's name mentioned. AD's aren't going to publish their wish list. Schools use search firms reach out to the coach's agent to gauge interest...if there is no interest, then no reason to put his name out in the media as an uninterested but possible candidate.

The replacement lists we all see are speculative by the media on who they think would be candidates. That's why we never saw Riley as a USC candidate or Kelly as an LSU candidate. No one, even the media ever imagined that. But in all actuality, where would DS go? At the current, there are few jobs better than CU...Bama maybe? I bet his name would come up in the media for a Bama opening.

Last edited:
Let's think about it on a 5 year timeline. 5 years at Clemson, even at 3 million a year if they gave him a bump, is 15 million. 5 years at Oklahoma at 7 million (could be more, just a guess) is 35 million. I don't know if I'd ever be able to look my wife/kids/grandkids in the face again if I left 20 million on the table. Venables isn't that stupid IMO. I don't know if Venables would work out as the head guy at Oklahoma or anywhere else, but if Oklahoma offers, he's gone with swiftness IMO. If he fails, he can always go back to being a top-notch DC for 2 million a year, with the buyout/money in his pocket. No lose situation.
I really dont get the sense that Venables give a crap about the money. If so, he'd have already taken that route more than few times the past few years. Yes thats alot of money but he is making life changing money now loving what he does, where he lives and who he works for. If he is going to take any job, you'd have to think this is one he wants given his familiarity to the area/program and his family has an attachment there as well. He's commented before how risk averse he is and the leap of faith for him to even move to Clemson to begin with. He isn't taking some random job and I think this is one of the only options he'd ever consider.

We shall see.

I really dont get the sense that Venables give a crap about the money. If so, he'd have already taken that route more than few times the past few years. Yes thats alot of money but he is making life changing money now loving what he does, where he lives and who he works for. If he is going to take any job, you'd have to think this is one he wants given his familiarity to the area/program and his family has an attachment there as well. He's commented before how risk averse he is and the leap of faith for him to even move to Clemson to begin with. He isn't taking some random job and I think this is one of the only options he'd ever consider.

We shall see.
Like one rich man said, “Money is like snow. Once you get enough, anything more is just something to manage.”

Reactions: ClemDent and 92Pony
Speak for yourself..money talks and just like every bama coordinator (failed head coach) he’ll land firmly on his feet even if he does fail. That’s 3 1/2 years pay vs 1 year…roll the dice don’t be a pussy and always bet on yourself

He has another son at Clemson right now. Tyler venables he is a safety.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT