ADVERTISEMENT

DT: What is your favorite TV-Sit Com / TV show of all time?

This is just a few as I don't have time to think back on all of them at this time. I will add more later.

Father Knows Best
Leave it to Beaver
Andy Griffin
Sanford and Son
All in the Family - This show broke the mold for many shows to follow.
M*A*S*H - Didn't watch a lot of that series but the ones I did I truly loved. May have to go back and watch more episodes.
Frazier
Home Improvement.
The Middle - one of my new favorites.
Goldbergs - Not bad for today's Sit Coms.

Those plus My Little Margie, I married Joan, Bob Cummings Show, Great Gildersleeve, and Get Smart. All in the Family and Two and a Half Men with Sheen would be my favorites.

Last edited:
I am shocked that "The Honeymooners" nor "Amos and Andy" have been mentioned!

Andy Griffith all time favorite.......Other favorite's right behind.........All in the Family, Frasier, Mash, Cheer's, Happy Days, Two and a Half Men (when Sheen was still there).........

I am shocked that "The Honeymooners" nor "Amos and Andy" have been mentioned!

I don't know how I could have forgotten Amos and Andy, I have the DVDs. That was truly quality comedy. A show had to be funny in those days because there was no sex, cursing, etc on TV.

I realize the results are going to be very generational but it is going to be fun to see what everyone's favorite Sit Com or TV Show is going to be.

Everyone may have several, I know that is the case with me. There haven't been many TV shows I haven 't seen to be honest. And I'll list mine tomorrow I have to get to bed now.
The Beverly Hillbillies

Andy Griffith show by a wide margin- and now my children are also liking it more and more.

I like family sit coms the best - the kind that my entire family can sit and watch.

We don't watch any modern shows at my house (I mean - never)- we watch older movies and tv shows.

Friday night my wife and I watched To Kill A Mockingbird.

We are in our early to mid 40s and we enjoy older programming- and rarely (It's extremely rare) watch anything made in the last 15-20 years.

I saw where Andy and MASH were listed .
Can anyone name two regulars from Andy that appeared on MASH and two regulars from MASH that appeared on Andy?

I've seen every episode of the black and white versions of Andy Griffith about a hundred times but wasn't a big MASH fan. Can't wait to see the answer to your question.

Had forgotton about this thread. Jamie Farr appeared as a gypsy on the no rain episode. William Christopher appeared twice .Once as the tax man when Aunt Bee won on a game show and once as a doctor. All were the color episodes.

Ronnie Howard appeared as an underage soldier and George Lindsey appeared as a surgeon from the 4063rd mash.

Hard to pick a fav, (Andy is way up there, tho), but I kinda like Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Oh, and The Office was hilarious.

50's (Beginning '57 @ age 7 when we finally got a TV) Lone Ranger, Daniel Boone, Little Rascals
60's - Andy Griffin Show, 60 Minutes, Monday Night Football, Ed Sullivan Show, Jackie Gleason Show
70's - All in the Family, Johnny Carson, SNL
80's - I didn't watch much TV except sports the entire decade, though I still watched SNL ALMOST every weekend
90's - Law & Order, West Wing
00's - West Wing, Seinfield, Fraizer, Food Channel (Paula Deen)
Now - Big Bang Theory, Madame Secretary, Beat Bobby Flay

Never liked the Olympics 'cept in '80 when the ice hockey team won, haven't watched an NBA playoff game since Jordan was an active player, haven't watched a World Series game in 12-15 years, haven't missed a Masters round since the mid-60's (attending two practice rounds in different years, and one Friday round on-course in 2002), have never missed a Super Bowl, attending three in-person (the last one in '84).

TV pretty much only 'news and sports' now ... I watch maybe 3-4 hours a week of the other stuff. We've gotten 'old' (er) ... Internet, dining out, friends over, going over to friend's houses ... TV's are for watching movies or buying pay-per-view, as needed for hard to get football games we don't watch in-person or at sports bars.

Favorite sit-com is pretty easy. Seinfeld, no contest. The IT Crowd made a valiant effort, but just couldn't get there.

Favorite TV show, now that's hard. I'm pretty partial to Firefly (DAMN YOU, FOX EXECUTIVES!) and the short-lived Ugly Americans. Monty Python, Archer, and Game of Thrones are in there, too. If I had to pick... probably Firefly. But it's really, really close.

Last edited:
I realize the results are going to be very generational but it is going to be fun to see what everyone's favorite Sit Com or TV Show is going to be.

Everyone may have several, I know that is the case with me. There haven't been many TV shows I haven 't seen to be honest. And I'll list mine tomorrow I have to get to bed now.

Like many already have said, Andy and Mayberry from a kid, in the 70'a it became All in the Family and probably the last sit com I watched was all Married with Children. I thought I was Opie and hoped I wasn't Al.

Many really good ones listed and many that are not sitcoms and don't qualify. Many are from the younger set or from people with short memories and only go back a few years. The Honeymooners are at the top of my list but lots others are not far behind.

Many of the better shows could not make it today because they required viewers to get involved with the actors while many today are just one stand alone one liner after another. Can you imagine Jack Benny being on for more than a single episode before getting cancelled? Many jokes were old and used over and over again but never got tiresome. Barney Miller, Wojo and Fish made a great cops counterpoint to Andy and Barney. For those that can get past the racial thing, Amos and Andy were just great comedy.

Last edited:

The funniest TV show ever was Amos and Andy. The second funniest TV show was Newhart (original show). The third funniest was Carol Burnett.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT