ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks, “we have a problem”

5 of 6 Ks so far after 4 innings have been caught looking... yeah we have a problem. Pitching isnt it.

Reactions: Jbouton2
Another series loss……What happened to the hitting???????????
avg 1.7 runs per game for the series….. ark pitcher throws a complete game.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
The long ball only takes you so far, eventually you have to play good fundamental baseball, Kingston doesn't coach that way.
Unfortunately it is very short lived when he does. Fundamental baseball and/or situational baseball seem to be more of an inconvenience to us than anything else. Why we wont embrace it enough to be part of our identity I'll never know.

Unfortunately it is very short lived when he does. Fundamental baseball and/or situational baseball seem to be more of an inconvenience to us than anything else. Why we wont embrace it enough to be part of our identity I'll never know.
To support your point, they cannot be putting enough repetitive practice in bunting and moving runners over. The efforts I see from the players is awful. No way a D1 caliber player is that bad if they practice and taught how to execute.

That was the our recipe for success from the 70’s till 2012. I can’t understand why Tanner would hire a coach that didn’t believe that fielding percentage and pitching come first. I still remember when Kingston was hired and had a press conference stating that the long ball was the most important thing in building a team. He stated that there is no defense for a home run. There is a defense for home runs and it’s pitchers learning your players tendencies by the mid point in the season. That’s why almost all players averages drop off through the season. Now we are stuck with a below average hitting team and a poor fielding team that is tied for second most errors.

That was the our recipe for success from the 70’s till 2012. I can’t understand why Tanner would hire a coach that didn’t believe that fielding percentage and pitching come first. I still remember when Kingston was hired and had a press conference stating that the long ball was the most important thing in building a team. He stated that there is no defense for a home run. There is a defense for home runs and it’s pitchers learning your players tendencies by the mid point in the season. That’s why almost all players averages drop off through the season. Now we are stuck with a below average hitting team and a poor fielding team that is tied for second most errors.
I don't know where you're getting your stats from, but ba .278, era 3.93 and Fld.% .972 is not below average!

I remember Kingston's first press conference as well. I cringed when he said we would not be a smallball playing type team. He basically eliminated a dimension of the game right out the gate. Not what I wanted to hear. My feeling was if he can make it work tho, more power to him. It proved to be a colossal failure within two years. So then he decides to backtrack on his philosophy when the Nationals won the world series playing smallball and being multi-dimensional. That lasted maybe 12 games to start the new year before the rest of the season was canceled by covid. To this day, I'm not sure what happened to that promise of change. It all but disappeared. Since then I am not sure what we may or may not attempt to do at any given time. Not sure anyone does.

Reactions: Cockytalk84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT