ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand why we wouldn't want Golson

What is wrong with giving this kid a chance?? He isn't perfect so be it,but he did help lead a team to a National Championship that should be worth something!! He played damn well against Flordia State in Tallahassee last season

I'm not gonna keep arguing. I've stated my position and I think it'd be more of a distraction and hinder the team more than help.

We'll just have to wait and see what Spurrier and Mangus think. If they decide to give him a shot I'll support them and Golson.

I agree. I am still trying to figure out what the downside is of him coming here. Competition is a good thing.

Reactions: funktavious
What is wrong with giving this kid a chance?? He isn't perfect so be it,but he did help lead a team to a National Championship that should be worth something!! He played damn well against Flordia State in Tallahassee last season

Not to throw cold water on your argument, but ND was blitzed by Bama in that game something like 42-17. Plus, I'm not saying we don't want him, I'm saying he'll probably be looking for a guarantee to start.

Just curious about something.....some have said that Golson is a "turn-over machine" can one of you football gurus explain to me how 14 int's is considered a TO-machine but 11 int's is not?????? And yet that was the number our starting QB had last season AFTER 5 years in the program! Talk about a learning curve............... And let's point out that Jameis Winston threw 18 int's last season, guess if he had one year remaining you guys won't want him either. I for one would like to have that experience available because no I don't think Mitch is going to be the answer (let me answer before you ask, no I don't know more than Spurrier or Mangus it's just my gut feeling based on his performance or lack thereof to date) but regardless what any of us think Spurrier will have to live with this one should Golson express an interest in coming to USC and Spurrier turn him down, then Golson goes off somewhere else and shines bigtime while our young, inexperienced, average talent QB's and our walk-on QB struggle. You think the complaining over last years defense was bad, let that happen!

Reactions: DawgPalmetto
Just curious about something.....some have said that Golson is a "turn-over machine" can one of you football gurus explain to me how 14 int's is considered a TO-machine but 11 int's is not?????? And yet that was the number our starting QB had last season AFTER 5 years in the program! Talk about a learning curve............... And let's point out that Jameis Winston threw 18 int's last season, guess if he had one year remaining you guys won't want him either. I for one would like to have that experience available because no I don't think Mitch is going to be the answer (let me answer before you ask, no I don't know more than Spurrier or Mangus it's just my gut feeling based on his performance or lack thereof to date) but regardless what any of us think Spurrier will have to live with this one should Golson express an interest in coming to USC and Spurrier turn him down, then Golson goes off somewhere else and shines bigtime while our young, inexperienced, average talent QB's and our walk-on QB struggle. You think the complaining over last years defense was bad, let that happen!

Man, that's the Truth right there

Why would we want a kid who was kicked off his team for 1 year? Do not need someone like that in the program.

Golson was asked by a school mate to "see his term paper" so he could get an idea of how to do the assignment and the kid turned in a carbon copy of Golson's paper. EG did not defer blame, took his punishment like a man and came back to get his degree at ND. Upstanding by all who know him and by ND powers that be. He did not stay at ND because he was not able to qualify for any of the very high standards of their graduate programs.

Oh, good grief. He's a good and experienced QB who played at the highest level of college football - ND. He's a South Carolina native. bring him in and let him have a go at the position.

Reactions: funktavious
I'm fine with Mitch at qb. Golson just runs around and turns over the ball. He won't be able to run around against SEC defenses-Bama proved that in the title game a few years ago.

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!

I'm fine with Mitch at qb. Golson just runs around and turns over the ball. He won't be able to run around against SEC defenses-Bama proved that in the title game a few years ago.
And how do we know Mitch can match up any better?? Not all SEC defenses are as good as that Alabama defense either so,he sure moved the ball at will against Flordia a State last season,oh wait I guess FlordiacState don't have SEC caliber athletes!!

If he wants to come here and coaches want him then that is fine with me. He played for a national championship while none of our qbs have ever started a game. I'm sorry but if you think he can't possibly help us then you are fooling yourself

And how do we know Mitch can match up any better?? Not all SEC defenses are as good as that Alabama defense either so,he sure moved the ball at will against Flordia a State last season,oh wait I guess FlordiacState don't have SEC caliber athletes!!

Did Notre Dame win that game? Plus FSU proved to be overrated last year barely beating NC State and Boston College only to get annihilated by Oregon. Golson lost his starting job at Notre Dame last year for a reason. Mitch's ability is unknown I'll admit. Golson's is. If Spurrier really wants him then fine let's go after him but if we don't land him I'm not going to worry about it. I was simply stating my personal opinion. And I don't give a rip about FSU's caliber of talent. Glad you think they're so awesome.

Last edited:
Exactly,some of our fans are being dumb!!

I think it's just you MB fans being dumb and won't admit that ND played a weak schedule that season, beat 2 decent teams...one being Stanford on a controversial call in OT, and made it in to the BCS Championship (which I like to call the BSCS) by virtue of their name and history. Bama proved they didn't deserve to be there by destroying, dismantling and embarrassing them in front of the entire country.

From everything I've read about Nunez he's a solid player and can compete this year. We don't have a history of bringing in freshman QB's that can compete right away but there are a lot of schools that do, so hopefully Spurrier has found one that can. And I'd much rather him take a chance with a frosh that will gain experience if things go south on offense than a one year player that will only help get us through the season. And on another note, Nunez chose to be a Gamecock out of high school...Golson chose not to. You MB fans need to stop acting like he is entitled to come to USC just because he's from SC.

Now as I said earlier, if Spurrier thinks it's a good idea I'll support him. But I hope like hades he doesn't.

Nobody is writing off Mitch,just would be nice to have some experience at Quarterback!!
Well he will getting his experience this year. The word is, unsurprisingly that our staff is not interested in Golson and that they are high on Mitch. So... yeah more.... "status quo." That has been and will likely continue to be our mantra "Status Quo."

It doesn't matter what we know or don't know about Mitch. All that matters is that Spurrier likes him.

Well he will getting his experience this year. The word is, unsurprisingly that our staff is not interested in Golson and that they are high on Mitch. So... yeah more.... "status quo." That has been and will likely continue to be our mantra "Status Quo."

Connor Shaw -Winningest quarterback in school history... posted a 27-5 career mark as a starter, including a perfect 17-0 record at home. Completed 63.4 percent of his passes (180-for-284) in 2013 for 2,447 yards with 24 touchdowns and just one interception.
Dylan Thompson - Set a South Carolina school record and led the SEC with 3,564 passing yards. Led the SEC in passing yards per game (274.2) and was third in total offense (268.6). His 3,492 yards of total offense was a school record.

There's the Status Quo at QB. I think I'll trust Spurrier on this call on Golson.

Did Notre Dame win that game? Plus FSU proved to be overrated last year barely beating NC State and Boston College only to get annihilated by Oregon. Golson lost his starting job at Notre Dame last year for a reason. Mitch's ability is unknown I'll admit. Golson's is. If Spurrier really wants him then fine let's go after him but if we don't land him I'm not going to worry about it. I was simply stating my personal opinion. And I don't give a rip about FSU's caliber of talent. Glad you think they're so awesome.
I am just making a point that he proven he can play well against big time talent,because ya was talking about his game against Alabama,and that Flordia State team made the playoff,and only lost one game in two seasons,Yeah they lost the game to Flordia State,but he played Great,this kid can hold his own in the SEC,watch his Film he can run and throw,very similar skills set to Shaw!! I am not necessarily saying he should start,just saying give the kid a chance,he has played for a National Championship!! No player on our team has that kind of experience!! I don't see how giving him a chance is a bad idea,don't act like we are loaded at the Quarterback position!! I think he brings something to the table

Golson wouldn't want to come here just to be a back up to Mitch, which is what would happen. He could have stayed at ND if he wanted to be a back up. He is going to want to go somewhere he is pretty much guaranteed to start, and Spurrier is not one to give guarantees like that especially to a QB that hasn't been in our system when Mitch has.
If he isn't ,clearly, good enough to start why take him? If he will play another position okay.

because at worst he would provide depth should Mitch go down but more likely compete for the starting job.

Look at his turnover ratio. How do you thing he would do with about 4 months of reading the playbook and 3 weeks to practice it? Or do you think Spurrier would change the entire offense to fit Golson's abilities? Serious question.
Good questions! I would certainly not think that Spurrier would change playbook to adapt to Golson's abilities.

Bottom line is he can come in and help us. He is a smart kid who could learn the offense and we would not have to change the offense or playbook. Are we changing the offense for Nunez or McIlwain or other QBs? Golson plays a lot like Shaw.

Win...no matter what. Look at what the Cowboys did in the draft. They landed Gregory & Collins...2 big question marks, but off the charts talent wise. Nobody cares what he did in the past, I hope we get Golson because it would mean more wins this season...period.

Heard on radio this morning that ND will not release him to play at Texas since they play them next year so that option may be gone. Hoping it's us.

If there isn't any interest than why is Golson trying to set a visit Readrooster00,he wouldn't be without encouragement from Coaches!!
Because he is going to try to get Spurrier to promise him he will start, but it won't happen. Someone else will give him that promise. Spurrier won't.

Because he is going to try to get Spurrier to promise him he will start, but it won't happen. Someone else will give him that promise. Spurrier won't.

Jimbo has offered to let him start the first game, promised him 72 virgin (whether they consent or not) and free crablegs every week!

He's FSU bound.

Throw in the 12 fumbles to go with the INT's and you get a turnover machine. Also consider that in Golson's career against the power 5 schools in half the games his completion percentage was 55% or lower. It probably doesn't matter though, rumor is the SEC commissioner has told USC, Ga and LSU that he would not sign a waiver to allow Golson to play at one of the schools.

So the ACC is letting an athlete transfer in that the SEC Wouldnt? Mind you I think it's BS that he can't come here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT