ADVERTISEMENT

I would like to have a intelligent discussion about the horrible shooting that occurred today in Boulder, Co. No politics allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laws that ban something don't deter anything? Really?

Prohibition says "hi". So do laws banning recreational drugs.

You think banning counterfeit products doesn't deter people from selling them?

Still happens every day, all day.

You think banning contraband from foreign countries doesn't deter people from bringing it back on an airliner.

Now they just use the mail.

I know a lot of people who own lots of guns. I do not know of a single person who owns a machine gun. Gee, I wonder why.

Yet the Vegas shoot was still able to get a similar effect with a bump stock. People want to shoot lots of bullets fast. Laws aren't going to change that.

Can any explain what an assault rifle is?

And do y’all think a new law would have stopped a psycho murderer from murdering?

Can any explain what an assault rifle is?

And do y’all think a new law would have stopped a psycho murderer from murdering?

It’s pretty much irrefutable that more stringent firearm laws will make it harder for mass shootings.

You can get as little as 2 years for armed robbery. Get tough on people who actually commit crimes with guns and you will fix the vast majority of the gun crime.

It’s pretty much irrefutable that more stringent firearm laws will make it harder for mass shootings.

Dropping the speed limit to 20 mph will greatly decrease automobile deaths. About 70 times more people are killed in car accidents every year vs being murder with all rifles combined.

This is where you start. Mental health is behind a lot of this, along with the homeless. We have done away with most State run mental health hospitals. We need tp tackle this and it would solve many of our problems.
Exactly. I did an externship at a facility near Augusta that housed long term mentally disabled people. Even they were having to close down. The residents were basically being shipped out to small (often people’s personal homes) private care facilities that were not equipped to handle them. It was tragic.

https://www.governing.com/archive/following-patient-reentry-orders-georgia.html

Only reasonable discussion and opinions allowed.

My understanding is the shooter used an assault rifle to perform his dastardly deed.

Do you believe the banning of assault rifles would prevent these mass shooting/murders?

I don't believe for one second that the banning of assault rifles would prevent these type of shootings. If they were banned nationally I personally believe there would be an underground network of assault rifles being manufactured and sold that would make bootleg whiskey in the 1920s look like a Sunday School Picnic.
The biggest problem with gun laws is that people who are deranged enough to kill aren't obeying laws. They're not seeing a sign that reads "gun free zone" and going home. The constitution obviously gives citizens the right to bear arms and is absolutely necessary in my opinion.

That being said, I don't have a problem with reasonable background checks and closing loopholes at gun shows etc.
Statistics show that the overwhelming majority of legal gun owners do not commit crimes with their guns. Most car owners operate the vehicles within the law, but some do not and drive too fast and or drink and drive and the results are deadly.

In terms of what kind of guns to own, I've gone back and forth, and I think I am OK with the current laws that prevent public from having fully automatic rifles and bump stocks. The term "assault rifle" is often used inaccurately where people assume that any rifle with a clip is automatic and that is not the case (A.R. does not stand for automatic rifle nor assault rifle).

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I’ve already said a national registry is needed so we can track who is breaking the laws.
A national registry will not make it harder for mass shootings as you said in your original post that "It’s pretty much irrefutable that more stringent firearm laws will make it harder for mass shootings." A registry won't do that at all.

So once again...what specific laws can you pass that will make it "harder for mass shootings?"

But many of the things above are what I want to discuss. Not the political aspect, e.g., the Republican's are responsible for these shooting or the Democrats want to ban all guns or the NRA is responsible, etc., etc.

There are many aspects to these type shootings. Who knows what was on that deranged person's mind. Was he mentally ill, was he bullied in the work place, were there a million other things in this person's life that made him do the things he did. These are some of the things I wanted to discuss?
That's not what makes a subject political. The political discussion is because of differing opinions anda large gray area in which those opinions can be right or wrong based on background and perception. Actual political parties have nothing to do with it, man.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Freddie, with all due respect, you can't introduce a political hot-button political issue like gun control and then implore people not to let the thread get "political."

I have pretty strong opinions about the topic, but my thoughts right now are that we should probably let the facts of this investigation come out, and view them in the context of overall murder rates in the US, before letting an event that's less than 18hrs old drive public policy. I dont even think authorities have released the guy's name yet.

I see what you are saying but where I was coming from and wanted to explore was the control of guns in general. Is it a good thing or a bad thing. I just used yesterday's incident as an example. And I didn't want people to say, it's Sen. XYZ's fault because he / she gets a lot of money from the NRA, or it's the left's fault because they want to defund the police, etc.

I wanted to see if there are any reasonable solutions to this national problem that occurs way to frequently. And I certainly don't know of any unfortunately except for maybe stronger background checks.

A national registry will not make it harder for mass shootings as you said in your original post that "It’s pretty much irrefutable that more stringent firearm laws will make it harder for mass shootings." A registry won't do that at all.

So once again...what specific laws can you pass that will make it "harder for mass shootings?"

lol just claiming something won’t work doesn’t make our argument true.

While background checks are good but they are only good for the past and present. Most of these guys probably cleared a check but somewhere down the road he decided people had to die to make his point so more extensive checks don't work for what happens to someone's mind in the future.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
I’ve already said a national registry is needed so we can track who is breaking the laws.
So a national registry is needed so we can track who is breaking the law? hmmmmm

Am I wrong in thinking that when a person gets arrested for whatever crime, gun involved or not, they get "tracked" or identified as a person that broke a law.

A national registry will not facilitate that in ANY way. That statement makes no sense at all...

While background checks are good but they are only good for the past and present. Most of these guys probably cleared a check but somewhere down the road he decided people had to die to make his point so more extensive checks don't work for what happens to someone's mind in the future.
Closing the background check loophole that allowed Dylan Roof to purchase his gun would be a good start. No purchase until you hear back definitely from the background check, and if you have open charges (of a certain type) against you, no purchase until those are adjudicated.

Closing the background check loophole that allowed Dylan Roof to purchase his gun would be a good start. No purchase until you hear back definitely from the background check, and if you have open charges (of a certain type) against you, no purchase until those are adjudicated.
I'm not up to speed on the loop hole what was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT