ADVERTISEMENT

If we were to get rid of Chad this year who would we hire to replace him?***

World Famous Third Base Hecklers for coach, rouge cock for third base coach and Rod Dangerfield for jock washer. The dream team right there. ;)

Reactions: GarnetCocky1
World Famous Third Base Hecklers for coach, rouge cock for third base coach and Rod Dangerfield for jock washer. The dream team right there. ;)

I see you're still all in with Holbroke.

Good Lord, can you even remember our last SEC series win? Holbroke not only drove this program in the ground, he poisoned it and covered it up with dirt.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
If he is brought back next year it will be a huge mistake....probably 20 wins and 1000 fans a game attendance.

I'd wait 1 more year on Holbrook just to be sure and see how Brett Harker develops at Furman. He's a young baseball guy with a great background, and he'll be at a power 5 school before too long.

I'd wait 1 more year on Holbrook just to be sure and see how Brett Harker develops at Furman. He's a young baseball guy with a great background, and he'll be at a power 5 school before too long.

We should not be getting a coach from Furman- sorry. We were the top program in the country a few years ago. The bar should be raised not lowered

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I see you're still all in with Holbroke.

Good Lord, can you even remember our last SEC series win? Holbroke not only drove this program in the ground, he poisoned it and covered it up with dirt.
I'm still all in with South Carolina until a change is made IF its made. Got it?

Reactions: ulysses5
I don't know exactly who would be my top target but my list would look something like this: (I'll mention schools since I know a lot of people won't be familiar with names)

Vanderbilt
Florida
Oklahoma St
Virginia
Clemson

If we can't get one of those:

Davidson
Indiana
Eastern Michigan

Colorado
Hofstra
Alabama
Dallas Baptist

I don't know exactly who would be my top target but my list would look something like this: (I'll mention schools since I know a lot of people won't be familiar with names)

Vanderbilt
Florida
Oklahoma St
Virginia
Clemson

If we can't get one of those:

Davidson
Indiana
Eastern Michigan

Colorado
Hofstra
Alabama
Dallas Baptist
The first two on your list are Leggett disciples. And one has a similar reputation as Holbrook....good recruiter, average coach.

MLee is the best coach in the country bar none. Look what he's doing at Clemson with bad pitching.

I've said it 100 times on here, I'll say it once more he was my choice when Holbrook was hired. I have no idea why Tanner would hire an assistant coach with no head-coaching experience even if he was with us through the national titles, and even if he was a great recruiter, when he had Lee who was a gamecock assistant, had left USC to gain head-coaching experience, then took a little ole College of Charleston baseball to the brink of the CWS, who's teams had always given the gamecocks all we could handle when we played them, and maybe even beat us a time or two I can't recall. I was shocked when he was not the obvious choice. But Lee ship has sailed forever. In his first year, he got his team playing well enough last year to win the ACC tournament and get his team into the NCAA field of 64, and hosted a regional. This year, his team will likely be a top eight seed. And one more thing, he's beaten the gamecocks in our annual three-game series in both of his years as a head coach at Clemson. He ain't going nowhere, and Clemson will make sure of that regardless of who comes calling or how much money they throw at him.

They were a top 8 seed last year. I originally wanted him, but now I think we need to move completely outside the Ray Tanner coaching tree. We need someone who will bring in an entirely new staff.

Reactions: bucketdad
The first two on your list are Leggett disciples. And one has a similar reputation as Holbrook....good recruiter, average coach.
Yes, both were assistants under Leggett. And while they were in Clemson, Clemson was very good. Right after they left, things really fell off for Clemson.
Both have been long gone, have been successful head coaches with multiple trips to Omaha. That is all I would care about as the AD. I would want a proven winner to re-energize my baseball fans.
Personally, I think Corbin is one of those coaches that everybody hates...until he's your team's head coach. If he wore Garnet and Black, his antics would be endearing.

Yes, both were assistants under Leggett. And while they were in Clemson, Clemson was very good. Right after they left, things really fell off for Clemson.
Both have been long gone, have been successful head coaches with multiple trips to Omaha. That is all I would care about as the AD. I would want a proven winner to re-energize my baseball fans.
Personally, I think Corbin is one of those coaches that everybody hates...until he's your team's head coach. If he wore Garnet and Black, his antics would be endearing.

Any thoughts on Tim Wallace at SMC...junior college...1000+ wins...former high draft pick...AAA with Cards before back injury...heck of a player in his day...many of his players move on to 4 year schools...disciplinarian...good hitting coach...

Any thoughts on Tim Wallace at SMC...junior college...1000+ wins...former high draft pick...AAA with Cards before back injury...heck of a player in his day...many of his players move on to 4 year schools...disciplinarian...good hitting coach...
Bring him in. If he wins people won't complain. (Well they will still complain, but won't request him to be fired). If he doesn't win, everyone will say he was terrible and they knew it all along.

I don't know anything about him other than what you just wrote. He may be a very good coach if hired. If he were to succeed, of course the fans would love him.
Still, I would have to ask: "Why is USC Baseball hiring a JUCO coach?" He has obviously been a winner, judging from his numbers. Hiring a coach is always a gamble, of sorts. If you hire a proven winner against similar competition, the odds of hiring well are better. Hiring a guy who has never run his own team, or has coached at a much lower level doesn't mean they can't succeed, but the odds aren't as good.
Considering the atmosphere around Carolina Baseball, IF Tanner replaces Holbrook I don't think he can afford to go the 'unproven' route.

No. O'Sullivan has underachieved greatly at UF.

No. O'Sullivan has underachieved greatly at UF.
Head coaching record[edit]
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Florida Gators
(Southeastern Conference) (2008–present)
2008 Florida 34–24 17–13 2nd (Eastern) NCAA Regional
2009 Florida 42–22 19–11 1st (Eastern) NCAA Super Regional
2010 Florida 47–17 22–8 1st (Eastern) College World Series
2011 Florida 53–19 22–8 T–1st (Eastern) College World Series Runner-up
2012 Florida 47–20 18–12 T–2nd (Eastern) College World Series
2013 Florida 29–30 14–16 3rd (Eastern) NCAA Regional
2014 Florida 40–23 21–9 1st (Eastern) NCAA Regional
2015 Florida 52–18 19–11 2nd (Eastern) College World Series
2016 Florida 52–16 19–10 2nd (Eastern) College World Series
2017 Florida 35–14 16–8
Florida: 431–203 186–106
Total: 431–203
National champion Postseason invitational champion
Conference regular season champion Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
Division regular season champion Division regular season and conference tournament champion
Conference tournament champion

He may not be the greatest of all time, but I don't agree with the opinion that he has under-achieved. Just because many people (me included) thought Florida would win the CWS a few times with some of his recruiting classes doesn't discount his overall success. He took over a team coming off back-to-back losing seasons, with no post-season. His first year they were eliminated in a regional. In his 8 seasons since, Florida has been eliminated in a regional 3 times, eliminated in a Super once, and been to Omaha 5 times, including the finals against us.

I'm not sure how that is under-achieving.

Reactions: ddw1263
I've said it 100 times on here, I'll say it once more he was my choice when Holbrook was hired. I have no idea why Tanner would hire an assistant coach with no head-coaching experience even if he was with us through the national titles, and even if he was a great recruiter, when he had Lee who was a gamecock assistant, had left USC to gain head-coaching experience, then took a little ole College of Charleston baseball to the brink of the CWS, who's teams had always given the gamecocks all we could handle when we played them, and maybe even beat us a time or two I can't recall. I was shocked when he was not the obvious choice. But Lee ship has sailed forever. In his first year, he got his team playing well enough last year to win the ACC tournament and get his team into the NCAA field of 64, and hosted a regional. This year, his team will likely be a top eight seed. And one more thing, he's beaten the gamecocks in our annual three-game series in both of his years as a head coach at Clemson. He ain't going nowhere, and Clemson will make sure of that regardless of who comes calling or how much money they throw at him.

I totally agree, he's a Tiger now and probably for life. Clemson will make sure of that with whatever $$$$$$ it takes.

What cracks me up is people are calling for a power 5 head coach if they can't get Monte Lee. Just remember Monte came from a low life SoCon or Patriot League (can't remember who CofC switched to).

There are really good coaches out there from the 1AA ranks too if Tanner decides to make a change.

With the talent he's had - no trophies. THAT is how he's underachieved.
You are actually calling a coach an under-achiever because he hasn't won a national championship? He has more "trophies" in his first 9 years than Tanner did at that same point(Ray had 3 SEC Championships and 1 SEC Tournament. Sully has 3 & 2) He and Tanner took over programs in similar situations. Both built their programs into national contenders. O'Sullivan did not inherit a great program. All of that talent he brought to Florida came after he was hired. O'Sullivan's first 9 seasons have been a little more successful than Tanner's first 9 seasons. I don't think anyone thought Tanner was an under-achiever.
But, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Eric Bakich, Michigan coach. Was at Md a few years and before that was Corbin's lead recruiter. Young up and coming coach that will be at a top tier ACC or SEC school within the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT