ADVERTISEMENT

Is CockyTalk dead for good?

Lol, CT has a thread over there in smack talk called "FGF". A response from one of the mods is pretty funny, for reasons not intended.

Need to change Cockytalks name to that character from that Eddie Murphy- Martin Lawrence flick Life ....can't get right....always having issues!

Reactions: SCspur1
Uh, wow RollLaugh

EDgKMTtXYAAJkPi.jpg

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Geez. The place was finally starting to get traffic again, too. Good recruiting resource, kind of a lame move to pull out the rug all at once. People might have coordinated a move elsewhere.

Reactions: rogue cock
Oh well. Even though I was banned, I could still go read threads as long as I wasn’t signed in. Ever since it came back online, it was pretty dead. I’m willing to bet that most threads were being closed during and after the game (as usual after a bad loss) and people just started going off. It was pretty much impossible to vent without the threads being closed and/or being banned. It really was pathetic. I won’t miss it.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Yes cockytalk provided some good info and Interaction
So many just went overboard with the negativity. Lots of insulting many players and coaches . Even if something went well the usual ones found a way to hate on the university.
Just made no sense

Last edited:
It was a good site for several years for Gamecock discussion and I really liked the Water Cooler and Cocky Babes. Recruiting was fun way back just for free information and they did occasionally have a poster or two who had inside info. Most of these would be about specific recruits that a poster knew or went to school with but they did have a great one a few years ago(SixStars) that got berated so much he left the board because a recruit changed his mind(Carlos Dunlap?). The guy who everybody thought was some kind of a recruiting insider was merely taking everything posted on TBS and putting in his own words like it was his info. Everybody know who that was so I won't say his name.

The main thing that I'll miss is CT's recruiting information. Their threads tracking who was offered, visits, links to HUDL films, game performance, etc. were well organized and 1000% better than what we get on the free site over here (and I'm just not interested in paying for a site - sorry Rivals). Like Mightee, I liked most of the posters, but I understand some people's issues with the mods. Looks like many of the main posters are migrating to gamecockfanatics.

The main thing that I'll miss is CT's recruiting information. Their threads tracking who was offered, visits, links to HUDL films, game performance, etc. were well organized and 1000% better than what we get on the free site over here (and I'm just not interested in paying for a site - sorry Rivals). Like Mightee, I liked most of the posters, but I understand some people's issues with the mods. Looks like many of the main posters are migrating to gamecockfanatics.
I agree!

I got banned last year for explaining the origin of the word "thug" from the Hindu "thugee." It had nothing to do with modern connotations, etc. The next day I logged in and the note said I'd been banned for furthering a racist thread. The moderator was heavy handed and clearly not intelligent. He banned everyone in the thread. Ridiculous.

Whatever, onward and upward. I'm happy to be here after joining back when I was wet behind the ears.

It was a free site started by a few brothers to have fun discussing Gamecock sports. People who joined were always guests in someone else's house. They were fully within their rights to appoint whoever they wanted as mods and to ban whoever they wanted.

I'm surprised they put up with all the junk as long as they did.

It was a free site started by a few brothers to have fun discussing Gamecock sports. People who joined were always guests in someone else's house. They were fully within their rights to appoint whoever they wanted as mods and to ban whoever they wanted.

I agree, it's just too bad some of the mods they picked were jackasses. They made a mistake with the "upgrade", imo. Should have used Xenforo like this board. The new one was buggy and bad on mobile - that's what people were complaining about.

I got a PM from somebody over there who was starting a new board, Gamecock Fanatics I think it's called. Might take a look and join.

This is true, but I don't often have people in my home just to act like a a**hole to them.

I agree, it's just too bad some of the mods they picked were jackasses. They made a mistake with the "upgrade", imo. Should have used Xenforo like this board. The new one was buggy and bad on mobile - that's what people were complaining about.

I got a PM from somebody over there who was starting a new board, Gamecock Fanatics I think it's called. Might take a look and join.

I joined earlier in the year when they were recruiting CT refugees because I know and like a lot of the mods and posters there. They're trying very hard to appeal to 'real' Gamecock fans, which I appreciate (but some on here probably wouldn't). My problem is that the design is horrible so while I've tried several times to get involved there, I get frustrated and quit after just a couple minutes. They're too worried about graphics, badges, and other 'bling', making it impossible to find anything or quickly peruse and respond to posts. Way too much visual clutter for an old guy like me, but maybe others might like it.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I joined earlier in the year when they were recruiting CT refugees because I know and like a lot of the mods and posters there. They're trying very hard to appeal to 'real' Gamecock fans, which I appreciate (but some on here probably wouldn't). My problem is that the design is horrible so while I've tried several times to get involved there, I get frustrated and quit after just a couple minutes. They're too worried about graphics, badges, and other 'bling', making it impossible to find anything or quickly peruse and respond to posts. Way too much visual clutter for an old guy like me, but maybe others might like it.
Yeah, it looks junky. Wonder if you can clean it up with user settings.

That was the worst part about CT...the incessant fixation by so many posters to label every poster as a real fan or a fake fan...fake fans, of course, were any fan who dared express any skepticism about any part of Gamecock athletics.

That was the worst part about CT...the incessant fixation by so many posters to label every poster as a real fan or a fake fan...fake fans, of course, were any fan who dared express any skepticism about any part of Gamecock athletics.

That's somewhat true but also in some cases (I think) overblown. For those who followed CT, Ironfan was maybe the posterboy for that: a definite Gamecock fan but someone who was either praised as being a 'realist' (for citing problems and shortcomings, many of which were legit) or called out as a 'whiny pessimist' (by others, who felt he was constantly being unnecessarily negative). I didn't always agree with him, but I usually appreciated his insights. I get what you're saying about the 'real fan' label, though. The reality is that different boards have different personalities, and for people like Pony, Batgirl, and me who have been active in both, that's OK. If you don't like one, just move on.

This is true, but I don't often have people in my home just to act like a a**hole to them.

I would bet a year's salary, that if you invited people into your home, and they did nothing most of the time but act like a**holes to you, that damned if you wouldn't act like an a**hole right back, and with the lightening quickness.

And that was what Cockytalk became. Back when it was early in it's best years, the vast majority of people who went and posted were mature, adult posters who were true Gamecock fans, and wished to express and discuss their fandom of everything Gamecock. The FB team had just come off 1-21, the basketball team wasn't anything special, and the baseball team was only just starting to become a force in the SEC.

And then Spurrier took over for Holtz, and suddenly it was like all these little kids running back and forth through the big room where the adults were trying to have a nice, quiet conversation, stomping their feet and screaming non-stop, slamming doors and getting into fights and crying tantrums, right in the middle of the room. Spurrier knew how to be a smart-ass and make people laugh: the Gamecock fanbase only knew how to be asses.

And a TON of those earlier, main posting base that first made Cockytalk the great forum it was, stopped posting, or hardly posted like they once did. I bet you ask those first members what they thought of the majority of the posting group that Cockytalk came to be known for in the later years, and 90%-95% of them would say that they ruined Cockytalk from what it once was.

And I bet 100% of the people that trash CT today and gripe about their moderators and talk about how they got banned "for no reason at all - I only breathed on Cockytalk - even though it is a internet message board, and no one really breathes on a message board - and I got banned. I only was an angel my whole time there, spreading love and flowers and unicorns to one and all, and I got banned for that only 5 minutes after joining!!!" - 100% of them fall into that group of posters that the 90-95% of original posters that made CT great say ruined CT from what it was....

Frankly, I was surprised that Cockytalk stayed online as long as it did - the Hoskins brothers have not had much to do with the site for years now, and the death knell for ANY message board - especially free ones - is when the owners and administrators lose interest, even a thriving poster-base will not keep it afloat, because they don't steer the boat, and they don't keep it from springing leaks. And I know that Cockytalk as a fan forum, was nothing like it once was when they started it up....

What happened to the crew of us that had a tailgating spot together off of Bluff Rd? I got away from the message boards and eventually lost touch w everyone. Bethel was one of the guys. I can't remember shit for the rest of the names. We were on another board that got shut down, then went to another, then cocktalk. I went by superstar90 on all the other boards.

It sounds like the nice lady and her husband who owned it got tired of paying the bill. Or they got tired of people criticizing Ray Tanner. Either way it’s a shame because message boards like that are good for the Gamecock Community and program.

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT