ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball game thread

One thing confused me about much of the man-to-man I saw tonight: several of our wing defenders were shading their man inside (encouraging the baseline drive.) But, we seem to usually defend the post from the top-side (3/4 front over the top). I remember long, long ago hearing Dick Bennett (at least, I THINK it was him) say "How you defend the post determines how you defend the perimeter." If you defend the post from the top, your post defender isn't in position to help on a baseline drive. Is this what Frank wants done, or is it a mistake by the team.

No offensive cohesiveness.
That has more to it being early in the season and 9 new faces. Even when I coached HS bball it took a few weeks for the kids to mesh sometimes. My thing is how hard they play on defense. I always told my kids we can have a offnight on offense but defense never has a off night its all desire and effort.

Jermaine annoys me. He has the talent to score like Devan Downey, but the heart/effort to score like your average college player. Confidence is huge but dribbling by someone is only half the battle. You gotta make the layups and other easy shots. He's too nonchalant.

That has more to it being early in the season and 9 new faces. Even when I coached HS bball it took a few weeks for the kids to mesh sometimes. My thing is how hard they play on defense. I always told my kids we can have a offnight on offense but defense never has a off night its all desire and effort.
We always play hard on defense. That never has been an issue. But we are raggedy on offense. I don't see a leader out there. One might emerge, but I'm not seeing him yet.

No offensive cohesiveness.
Sorry to bring up our WBB team but the men seem to move a lot more on offense than the woman do.

The men do seem to use some set plays but at this point in the season maybe they don’t have enough!?

Sorry to bring up our WBB team but the men seem to move a lot more on offense than the woman do.

The men do seem to use some set plays but at this point in the season maybe they don’t have enough!?
People going in circles move a lot, too. It's just that they don't arrive anywhere. We move the ball around some, throw a skip pass once in awhile and finally pump fake to get off a shot before the shot clock expires. Some of our attempts to hit the post man last night were actually funny.

Reactions: vacock#
They need to really work on limiting the turnovers. I think that will come once they start to gel some as a team.

One thing confused me about much of the man-to-man I saw tonight: several of our wing defenders were shading their man inside (encouraging the baseline drive.) But, we seem to usually defend the post from the top-side (3/4 front over the top). I remember long, long ago hearing Dick Bennett (at least, I THINK it was him) say "How you defend the post determines how you defend the perimeter." If you defend the post from the top, your post defender isn't in position to help on a baseline drive. Is this what Frank wants done, or is it a mistake by the team.
I was unable to watch the game. Did they hurt us on the baseline?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT