ADVERTISEMENT

Napier got a better job…

Sometimes you just have to wait a little longer for the right opportunity.

Kirby Smart did the same thing and got his dream job.

It may turn out to be a great hire or maybe not. More and more, I'm beginning to think P5 coaching hires are a crap-shoot, at least under the "win the conference within 4 years" model. The only thing that's certain is Napier, like Mullen and Muschamp before him, will make a ton of money.
All hires are a crap shoot. If it doesn't work, move onto the next one.

UF hiring someone doesn’t mean they are a great coach. Their last 3 hire has been pretty big failures outside of a season or two each. Napier to UF is more of an indicator of how hard it is to hire a coach, how few proven winners are out there, and how the hiring process relies on a lot of things falling into place. Napier doesn’t sniff this job 20 years ago.

Agreed. My comment was about the back and forth last year when Beamer was hired. Napier not getting hired elsewhere was used as some sort of sign that he wasn't wanted by other teams, and therefore a lesser candidate than Beamer.
And if we had hired Napier last year he would still be going to UF as their coach this year….

UF hiring someone doesn’t mean they are a great coach. Their last 3 hire has been pretty big failures outside of a season or two each. Napier to UF is more of an indicator of how hard it is to hire a coach, how few proven winners are out there, and how the hiring process relies on a lot of things falling into place. Napier doesn’t sniff this job 20 years ago.

Napier won at Lousiana as a head coach.

Urban won at Utah as a head coach.

Spurrier won at Duke as a head coach.

Mullen won at Miss St. as a head coach.

McElwain won at Colorado St. as a head coach.

A winning coach ready to make the next-level jump lines up with previous Florida hires.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Good hire by Florida. Napier is a strong recruiter with recruiting connections around the southeast. He has won division and conference championships at ULL. Having coached in the SEC, he knows this conference.

Reactions: king ward
Good hire by Florida. Napier is a strong recruiter with recruiting connections around the southeast. He has won division and conference championships at ULL. Having coached in the SEC, he knows this conference.
He's got good pedigree. I'll be shocked if he doesn't fit better than Mullen down there.

Yep. I was thinking the same thing to posters above with the "I told you so" talk. The coaching carousel today is such that a year ago was a lifetime ago. That's why I find people being so bent about this guy or Chadwell so humorous.

Decisions made a year ago about who to hire as a coach have almost nothing to do with decisions made today. Hell Riley going to southern California changed the entire landscape.

Reactions: WingchunCock
While we do have high expectations, you have to understand some underlining issues with the last two firings.

Jim M. made things incredibly hard to retain him when not only the team was struggling, but he made accusations about receiving death threats against his family. Now are there loopy people like that out there for every team? Of course. The problem, as far as we know, is that he couldn't prove it....and he used those claims for sympathy to distract from the results on the field.

No program is gonna take kindly to get slandered the way it was done.

Plus, he was supposed to be an offensive mind, but his offenses with his recruits were ranked over #100. In a sense, he was worse than Muschamp.

Mullen has never had a great relationship with UF Administration, even in the Tebow days. I have no doubt that if Foley was still in charge he would never have been offered the job to begin with. The main problem is that we could see the direction the program was going in....and we didn't want to fluster around for many years like fsu. Our recruiting was #35 and bound to get worse in the years to follow. He was slow to make changes that are needful. This was a criticism even at Miss State.

He had an attitude like he was the smartest guy in the room and excused losses in many different and absurd ways. Did you know he danced in the locker room after beating Samford?

There were reports of how lax our practices were and how the players thought they were better than they were. A HC's mentality often trickles down to the players.

Uf put up more of a fight against FSU than many of the last games under Mullen.

He succeeded early in his tenure with somebody else's recruits. Last year was really a 7 win, at best, team without Trask. We for sure would have lost to UK and likely lost another game along the way.

Last edited:
They probably wouldn’t even have looked at him if he had only been here one year.
Probably. Let's see if Oklahoma looks at that boy up at Tennessee. I think the possibility is remote, but since we're talking along these lines...Y'all remember how Kiffin left UT for Southern Cal, but his flaky factor was already known.

This is the same BOT who gave you Bob Caslen as president.

That said, from everything I heard Napier was sort of lukewarm towards our job and Beamer was totally wanting it. They went with someone who really wanted to be here.

Lane Kiffin was the right hire for UF. They'd have to buy him out and double his salary, but he would have won like they want down there. Napier will be gone in 4 years.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Lane Kiffin was the right hire for UF. They'd have to buy him out and double his salary, but he would have won like they want down there. Napier will be gone in 4 years.
As a uf fan, I don't want him here. He's gotten in trouble for "a lack of institutional control" at USC for paying a player and his family. He also got into trouble in recruiting at Tenessee also, before he ditched them in the middle of the night.

If he accepted a job at UF, it means that he's left 2 programs that needed major help in 1 year or less. I don't want UF to be the 3rd....which could easily happen if somebody else comes knocking.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ole Miss caught heat by the NCAA for Kiffin, even after he moved on.

If you like Kiffin....you are asking for a less committed Hugh Freeze.

Plus, I'm tired of UF paying big bucks to coaches that can't prove it at UF. Did you know Grantham was the 6th highest paid coordinator, oc or DC, in the country?

As a uf fan, I don't want him here. He's gotten in trouble for "a lack of institutional control" at USC for paying a player and his family. He also got into trouble in recruiting at Tenessee also, before he ditched them in the middle of the night.

If he accepted a job at UF, it means that he's left 2 programs that needed major help in 1 year or less. I don't want UF to be the 3rd....which could easily happen if somebody else comes knocking.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ole Miss caught heat by the NCAA for Kiffin, even after he moved on.

If you like Kiffin....you are asking for a less committed Hugh Freeze.

Plus, I'm tired of UF paying big bucks to coaches that can't prove it at UF. Did you know Grantham was the 6th highest paid coordinator, oc or DC, in the country?
Don't expect a lot of agreement from some of the guys around here who would apparently sell off their favorite child for a national championship.

I agree with you. I said as much last year. If my school hired Kiffin at this point I'd probably stop watching. I want to win really bad, but not that bad.

Don't expect a lot of agreement from some of the guys around here who would apparently sell off their favorite child for a national championship.

I agree with you. I said as much last year. If my school hired Kiffin at this point I'd probably stop watching. I want to win really bad, but not that bad.

I pray we one day give you a reason to stop watching because I'm sick of losing.

I pray we one day give you a reason to stop watching because I'm sick of losing.
Well, I pray you find another team to watch all together how about that?

You know it's entirely possible to win without cheating. Or at least to keep our integrity in the process.

At least you've outed yourself.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
That's why I find people being so bent about this guy or Chadwell so humorous.

I agree, and that was my point that you missed, but I'll just assume you weren't involved in those back and forth last year, so you didn't get the reference.

Some posters got very bent out of shape at even the mention of his name. They went so far as to mock him for not getting a different job last year, and how that was supposedly a condemnation of him as a coach.

A year later, he takes a a bigger step up in jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: myrtlecock
Well, I pray you find another team to watch all together how about that?

You know it's entirely possible to win without cheating. Or at least to keep our integrity in the process.

At least you've outed yourself.
No, it wasn't possible to win and you don't see any Clemson fans giving up their fandom because Dabo was buying players with the best of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT