ADVERTISEMENT

Not now, but when it is time

When the next hire is made to lead the USC football program do you want

• Total voters

EssoClub2

Jul 24, 2006
http://www.jaguarfootballcamps.com/head-coach.cfm

Would any of you be interested in a guy like this? Or do you want another proven winner at the highest level? It seems like the program transition becomes difficult with big name guys that earned their stripes elsewhere. I guess my question is not so much about this particular candidate (though I think he will get a big job opportunity in the next several years), but more directly do you want to go after another Holtz , Spurrier, etc or do you want to hire someone that is on the way up and is hungry?

Joey Jones

After back to back 6-6 campaigns and a coach of the year honor for the 2013 season, South Alabama participated in the first bowl in school history. South Alabama played in the inaugural Camellia Bowl in Montgomery Alabama losing in the final seconds to the Bowling Green Falcons 33-28. Jones, has an overall record of 37-28 in six years at South Alabama.......

For his efforts in guiding the team well above those expectations — USA’s 4½-game win-loss improvement tied for fifth best in the country — head coach Joey Jones was voted the league’s Coach of the Year.

Jones, who has a 31-21 record in five seasons at the helm of the program, led the Jags to victories over both participants in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, including a 30-8 defeat of conference co-champion Louisiana-Lafayette in the season finale as USA ended the year with a three-game winning streak. And five of the Jaguars’ six losses were decided by seven points or less, with the team advancing into the red zone in the final minutes at Tennessee before falling by a touchdown and three other contests decided in the final seven seconds or later.

Following the season, 10 Jags picked up all-Sun Belt honors including four first-team selections. USA gained nearly 100 more yards per outing offensively than the year before, ranking in the top half of the conference with over 425 yards per game, and once again was among the top units in the league on the other side of the ball after finishing second in passing, total and scoring defense.

Off the field, 34 Jaguars recorded a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher during the season, and Rush Hendricks was a first-team CoSIDA Academic All-District selection.

In 2012, the Jaguars’ first competing in the SBC, the program had four individuals earn all-league honors paced by first-team selection Jake Johnson, the leading tackler in the conference who guided a unit that ranked second in yards allowed per outing and was first in red zone defense. USA picked up its first-ever Sun Belt victory with a 37-34 come-from-behind double-overtime win over Florida Atlantic Homecoming weekend, while also dropping one-score decisions at league champion Arkansas State and against runner-up Middle Tennessee.

At the end of the year, Johnson and B.J. Scott were invited to participate in both the Senior Bowl and NFLPA Collegiate Bowl all-star contests while Trey Clark was honored for his work in the classroom by being the first individual in program history selected to CoSIDA’s Capital One Academic All-America team.

In the classroom, 25 Jaguars posted a 3.0 grade-point average or better during the 2012 campaign — including 12 who made the Dean’s List — with those numbers increasing to 41 and 15, respectively, during the spring semester.
jones2.jpg

Just 22 months after taking over the reins of the school’s start-up football venture, Jones helped lead the Jags to an undefeated record in its first-ever season on the field in 2009. And not only did USA go 7-0 against a schedule that included four high-level prep programs, two top-20 junior colleges and a qualifier for the NCAA Division III playoffs, but it outscored the opposition 321-41 while never trailing at any point during the season.

The Jaguars’ dominance was seen in all phases of the game in 2009. Defensively, they surrendered only 234 yards per contest, including just 61 on the ground as foes averaged less than two yards per carry. On offense, USA racked up just under 440 yards per outing led by a rushing attack that collected 267 yards per game and better than six per carry. Jag placekickers connected on 83 percent of their field-goal attempts, while the punting unit averaged 42 yards per kick.

The Jags would face a tougher schedule that included all four-year institutions in 2010, including four at or on the way to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly NCAA Division I-AA), but the results would be the same — USA completed a 10-0 season while outscoring the opposition 413-130.

The offense once again racked up nearly 440 total yards per outing, though a more balanced unit collected better than 200 yards per game both rushing (232.4) and passing (207.3). Defensively, the Jaguars shut out three opponents and limited two others to a single-digit point total, surrendering just 81 yards per game on the ground and 255 overall. And on the basis of recording 25 takeaways (15 interceptions, 10 fumble recoveries), USA posted a plus-10 turnover margin.

Several areas of special teams play showed significant improvement in year two under Jones, with the Jaguars nearly doubling their punt return average (going from 8.8 per runback in ’09 to 16.0 the following fall) while USA placekickers connected on 17 field goals one year after converting only four.

In 2011, Jones led the Jags to a 6-4 mark against the program’s toughest schedule to date, one that included the first two NCAA FBS opponents in school history. The USA defense was among the top 20 at the NCAA FCS level in both pass (10th — 167 ypg) and total (16th — 309.70 ypg) defense, while the Jaguars ranked eighth in the country with an average of 23.91 yards per kickoff return. Jordan Means became the first player in school history to earn All-America honors, while Trey Clark was recognized for his work in the classroom earning academic honors from both the Football Championship Subdivision Athletic Directors Association and the College Sports Information Directors of America).

Following the announcement in December 2007 that the school was going to begin playing football, former USA Director of Athletics Joe Gottfried and the head coach search committee laid out their list of qualifications for the program’s first-ever head coach which included three key qualities they desired. They wanted to find someone with collegiate experience, someone with ties to the state of Alabama and the Mobile area, and someone with the youthful energy needed to start a program from scratch.

As the process continued further and further along, one name continued to rise back to the top — that of Jones.

Formerly the head coach at Birmingham-Southern and a native of Mobile, Jones was named as South Alabama’s first head football coach on February 15, 2008, culminating a month-long search.

Jones, 51, is no stranger to building programs from the ground up at both the high school and collegiate level. He returned to his hometown after two years at Birmingham-Southern, where he was hired in 2006 to restart the school’s football program there. After spending a year overseeing administrative aspects of the program such as hiring assistant coaches, designing facilities and recruiting players for the Division III program, he led his 2007 squad of 126 freshmen to a 3-7 overall record, including a pair of wins over established junior-college programs.

Success has followed Jones throughout his career, both as a coach and as a player. Before moving into the college ranks, he compiled an impressive 125-38 (76.7%) record in 13 years at the high-school level, including a 10-year run at Birmingham’s Mountain Brook High, where he was 101-27 (78.9%) from 1996-05.

After inheriting a program that had endured nine consecutive losing seasons, Jones directed the Spartans to the 1996 Class 6A state championship game, four region titles, two semifinal appearances and three quarterfinal appearances during his tenure.

SEE Link for more info

Jones and his wife, Elise, have three children, Joe Jr., (28), Jake (26) and Caroline (19).

Honestly if Chad Morris doesn't shit the bed at SMU that should be Tanners first call. Offensive guy, lots of credibility with instate, and by all accounts a solid recruiter.

Honestly if Chad Morris doesn't shit the bed at SMU that should be Tanners first call. Offensive guy, lots of credibility with instate, and by all accounts a solid recruiter.

So you lean towards an offensive guy, I assume they must be head coach. i.e not a Big School coordinator.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tanner went Defensive minded , even someone like a hot Brent Venerables

why would a tx boy leave home? & besides they got more money. it comes from
SMU isn't the job it was in the 1980s. Besides they aren't paying SEC money either. Clemson history aside he's young, a recruiter, and he's got connections here in state. He's the kind of guy we need. If not him someone like him. Spurrier has been great but I'd like to get a younger guy come in and take us to the next level and be able to stay here to entrench the program as an elite power.

The age of 51 does not brother me, but from the Sun Belt to the SEC does. I think USC goes after the best option that we can afford, which will be around 3 to 4 million. We would go higher for certain coaches that comes around once in a lifetime.

SMU isn't the job it was in the 1980s. Besides they aren't paying SEC money either. Clemson history aside he's young, a recruiter, and he's got connections here in state. He's the kind of guy we need. If not him someone like him. Spurrier has been great but I'd like to get a younger guy come in and take us to the next level and be able to stay here to entrench the program as an elite power.

Chad Morris is 46, just 5 years young than the coach that some of you are saying that is too old. I do not know how much Morris recruited off campus either. Lets see how he does at SMU.

Chad Morris is 46, just 5 years young than the coach that some of you are saying that is too old. I do not know how much Morris recruited off campus either. Lets see how he does at SMU.

Chad , really did more recruiting out of Texas than in-state. I do think he is a pretty strong recruiter , but I give more of the credit on Clemson's recruiting success over the last 5 years to Jeff Scott and Dabo as the closer. I think mid 40's to mid 50's is a likely age bracket if you are looking for a coach that has worked his way up. I think they peak 55 -65.

Reactions: nikolas22
For the Tater infestation: Brad Scott if Dabo, The Chad or Venables aren't interested.
Also for the Taters infestation: when all of the above leave for Alabama after winning
consecutive Titles, will you consider Sparky Woods or just hire another sleezy salesman?

For the Tater infestation: Brad Scott if Dabo, The Chad or Venables aren't interested.
Also for the Taters infestation: when all of the above leave for Alabama after winning
consecutive Titles, will you consider Sparky Woods or just hire another sleezy salesman?

It must be happy hour..there I am not sure that I follow your post. "If" Dabo left for Alabama, it would mean that things were in pretty good shape at Clemson. I would hope we have the next Clemson Head Coach on staff when that happened. Not sure why having "been a salesman" is a bad thing to have on your resume as a coaching candidate, but seems to be working out ok.

Forgive....I forgot that all great coaches are already on staff at Tater tech and just rise to the occasion.
Hint....salesman isn't bad but sleezy is.
So in Tater summary: no need to ask such silly questions. Greatness is in them all. Just pick one up
from the patch.

Forgive....I forgot that all great coaches are already on staff at Tater tech and just rise to the occasion.
Hint....salesman isn't bad but sleezy is.
So in Tater summary: no need to ask such silly questions. Greatness is in them all. Just pick one up
from the patch.
Danny did ok too, but you are right . It is much better to hire someone at the high end of the pay scale that has already accomplished climbing the mountain and sees it as , heck yes if these guys are gonna give 5 million a year. I will take it. Giddy up

Bob Stoops, George O'Leary, and Jim Tressel need to be approached.

I said the same thing to another Gamecock fan and he reminded me Morris never beat us, so why do we want him?

Whomever we hire, there should be a clause in his contract that he can NEVER in any way whatsoever make any public comment about his future tenure at USC unless he has tendered his resignation to the university or legal wording to that effect.

I want a proven winner at an FBS school. I want a guy with head coaching experience. Going after someone "young and hungry" is a crapshoot. You could end up with a good coach or you could you end up with Lane Kiffin. Is he going to be Mark Richt or Brad Scott? Who knows so why take the chance if you can avoid it.

It doesn't have to be a guy who is a living legend like Spurrier, but it should at the very least be a guy who is a head coach who is having some success at the FBS level. All that said, I would be fine throwing the bank at a Chip Kelly type if he had an interest.

Someone mentioned Stoops and I would be thrilled with that as well. Actually, that could be a very real possibility if Stoops is unhappy at Oklahoma. We just brought aboard the DC he recommended to Spurrier to be his replacement back when he left Florida for Oklahoma.

Nevertheless, I want Spurrier to finish strong and set up the next guy to continue the progress.

Has to be someone w HC experience. Guessing Muschamp (if those bridges haven't been torched) and Mark Stoops will be on the short-list.

I think he did 1 time

Okay, I'm sorry, yes Morris beat the Gameocks when USC fielded the worst defense maybe in school history. Plus, if I remember correctly the Gamecocks had a number of injuries last year on defense.

Okay, I'm sorry, yes Morris beat the Gameocks when USC fielded the worst defense maybe in school history. Plus, if I remember correctly the Gamecocks had a number of injuries last year on defense.

You're saying that last years defense was worse than the defenses on the 98 & 99 teams? Evidently, you haven't been following Gamecock football for any length of time!

http://www.jaguarfootballcamps.com/head-coach.cfm

Would any of you be interested in a guy like this? Or do you want another proven winner at the highest level? It seems like the program transition becomes difficult with big name guys that earned their stripes elsewhere. I guess my question is not so much about this particular candidate (though I think he will get a big job opportunity in the next several years), but more directly do you want to go after another Holtz , Spurrier, etc or do you want to hire someone that is on the way up and is hungry?

Joey Jones

After back to back 6-6 campaigns and a coach of the year honor for the 2013 season, South Alabama participated in the first bowl in school history. South Alabama played in the inaugural Camellia Bowl in Montgomery Alabama losing in the final seconds to the Bowling Green Falcons 33-28. Jones, has an overall record of 37-28 in six years at South Alabama.......

For his efforts in guiding the team well above those expectations — USA’s 4½-game win-loss improvement tied for fifth best in the country — head coach Joey Jones was voted the league’s Coach of the Year.

Jones, who has a 31-21 record in five seasons at the helm of the program, led the Jags to victories over both participants in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, including a 30-8 defeat of conference co-champion Louisiana-Lafayette in the season finale as USA ended the year with a three-game winning streak. And five of the Jaguars’ six losses were decided by seven points or less, with the team advancing into the red zone in the final minutes at Tennessee before falling by a touchdown and three other contests decided in the final seven seconds or later.

Following the season, 10 Jags picked up all-Sun Belt honors including four first-team selections. USA gained nearly 100 more yards per outing offensively than the year before, ranking in the top half of the conference with over 425 yards per game, and once again was among the top units in the league on the other side of the ball after finishing second in passing, total and scoring defense.

Off the field, 34 Jaguars recorded a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher during the season, and Rush Hendricks was a first-team CoSIDA Academic All-District selection.

In 2012, the Jaguars’ first competing in the SBC, the program had four individuals earn all-league honors paced by first-team selection Jake Johnson, the leading tackler in the conference who guided a unit that ranked second in yards allowed per outing and was first in red zone defense. USA picked up its first-ever Sun Belt victory with a 37-34 come-from-behind double-overtime win over Florida Atlantic Homecoming weekend, while also dropping one-score decisions at league champion Arkansas State and against runner-up Middle Tennessee.

At the end of the year, Johnson and B.J. Scott were invited to participate in both the Senior Bowl and NFLPA Collegiate Bowl all-star contests while Trey Clark was honored for his work in the classroom by being the first individual in program history selected to CoSIDA’s Capital One Academic All-America team.

In the classroom, 25 Jaguars posted a 3.0 grade-point average or better during the 2012 campaign — including 12 who made the Dean’s List — with those numbers increasing to 41 and 15, respectively, during the spring semester.
jones2.jpg

Just 22 months after taking over the reins of the school’s start-up football venture, Jones helped lead the Jags to an undefeated record in its first-ever season on the field in 2009. And not only did USA go 7-0 against a schedule that included four high-level prep programs, two top-20 junior colleges and a qualifier for the NCAA Division III playoffs, but it outscored the opposition 321-41 while never trailing at any point during the season.

The Jaguars’ dominance was seen in all phases of the game in 2009. Defensively, they surrendered only 234 yards per contest, including just 61 on the ground as foes averaged less than two yards per carry. On offense, USA racked up just under 440 yards per outing led by a rushing attack that collected 267 yards per game and better than six per carry. Jag placekickers connected on 83 percent of their field-goal attempts, while the punting unit averaged 42 yards per kick.

The Jags would face a tougher schedule that included all four-year institutions in 2010, including four at or on the way to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly NCAA Division I-AA), but the results would be the same — USA completed a 10-0 season while outscoring the opposition 413-130.

The offense once again racked up nearly 440 total yards per outing, though a more balanced unit collected better than 200 yards per game both rushing (232.4) and passing (207.3). Defensively, the Jaguars shut out three opponents and limited two others to a single-digit point total, surrendering just 81 yards per game on the ground and 255 overall. And on the basis of recording 25 takeaways (15 interceptions, 10 fumble recoveries), USA posted a plus-10 turnover margin.

Several areas of special teams play showed significant improvement in year two under Jones, with the Jaguars nearly doubling their punt return average (going from 8.8 per runback in ’09 to 16.0 the following fall) while USA placekickers connected on 17 field goals one year after converting only four.

In 2011, Jones led the Jags to a 6-4 mark against the program’s toughest schedule to date, one that included the first two NCAA FBS opponents in school history. The USA defense was among the top 20 at the NCAA FCS level in both pass (10th — 167 ypg) and total (16th — 309.70 ypg) defense, while the Jaguars ranked eighth in the country with an average of 23.91 yards per kickoff return. Jordan Means became the first player in school history to earn All-America honors, while Trey Clark was recognized for his work in the classroom earning academic honors from both the Football Championship Subdivision Athletic Directors Association and the College Sports Information Directors of America).

Following the announcement in December 2007 that the school was going to begin playing football, former USA Director of Athletics Joe Gottfried and the head coach search committee laid out their list of qualifications for the program’s first-ever head coach which included three key qualities they desired. They wanted to find someone with collegiate experience, someone with ties to the state of Alabama and the Mobile area, and someone with the youthful energy needed to start a program from scratch.

As the process continued further and further along, one name continued to rise back to the top — that of Jones.

Formerly the head coach at Birmingham-Southern and a native of Mobile, Jones was named as South Alabama’s first head football coach on February 15, 2008, culminating a month-long search.

Jones, 51, is no stranger to building programs from the ground up at both the high school and collegiate level. He returned to his hometown after two years at Birmingham-Southern, where he was hired in 2006 to restart the school’s football program there. After spending a year overseeing administrative aspects of the program such as hiring assistant coaches, designing facilities and recruiting players for the Division III program, he led his 2007 squad of 126 freshmen to a 3-7 overall record, including a pair of wins over established junior-college programs.

Success has followed Jones throughout his career, both as a coach and as a player. Before moving into the college ranks, he compiled an impressive 125-38 (76.7%) record in 13 years at the high-school level, including a 10-year run at Birmingham’s Mountain Brook High, where he was 101-27 (78.9%) from 1996-05.

After inheriting a program that had endured nine consecutive losing seasons, Jones directed the Spartans to the 1996 Class 6A state championship game, four region titles, two semifinal appearances and three quarterfinal appearances during his tenure.

SEE Link for more info

Jones and his wife, Elise, have three children, Joe Jr., (28), Jake (26) and Caroline (19).

There is not likely to be a perfect candidate. I guess, I want to hire the successful coach that was the young hot shot that someone else gambled on 5-10 years ago and was rewarded.

You're saying that last years defense was worse than the defenses on the 98 & 99 teams? Evidently, you haven't been following Gamecock football for any length of time!

The 1998 and 1999 defenses were way better than last year's. It's hard to believe I know. Those teams actually gave up less points per game than we did last year. Our offense was beyond bad. We averaged 7.9 points per game in 1999....is that not a ridiculous stat?!? 87 points for the entire season, 21 of which came in our last game against Clemson.

I will say that the 1995 defense under the tutelage of Brad Scott and Wally Burnham may have been worse. That said, last year's team was no less than the second worst in school history and worst in 20 years. That's why Ward is no longer in charge of the D......no matter how well he did in 2012 and 2013.

The 1998 and 1999 defenses were way better than last year's. It's hard to believe I know. Those teams actually gave up less points per game than we did last year. Our offense was beyond bad. We averaged 7.9 points per game in 1999....is that not a ridiculous stat?!? 87 points for the entire season, 21 of which came in our last game against Clemson.

I will say that the 1995 defense under the tutelage of Brad Scott and Wally Burnham may have been worse. That said, last year's team was no less than the second worst in school history and worst in 20 years. That's why Ward is no longer in charge of the D......no matter how well he did in 2012 and 2013.

You're right about 1995, but the1998 defense was very close to being as bad as last years .

1995 - Points against(11 games) - 35.7 average/game
1998 - Points against(11 games) - 30.0 average/game
2014 - Points against(13 games) - 30.4 average/game

Well, kind of where I was coming from even more than a statistical standpoint, is the fact, I can't ever remember a Carolina Defense, that lost more games that could not theoretically be lost. My gosh, I still puke when I think of the UT game last year, and the Missouri game and even the UK game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT