ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC BBQ Top 3 in Your Region

Hites on Dreher Road West Columbia Rib Cut and Chicken very very good
Maples in Sumter is great locals know about it have to order way in advance was better when Dad was alive but Family has carried on (this is for the vinegar black pepper lovers)
Sumter native here, absolutely love Maples Bbq. Unfortunately mr maple (before he passed) always refused to make a sign for it, always said "my foods so good they look till they find it" and he was right.
Riverside BBQ in Georgetown is my #2 again just a small family operation but it's as good as it gets.

I live in eastern NC but am a Sandlapper still. BBQ here is sometimes passable and sometimes just too much vinegar. There are a few good BBQ spots up here but many cater to people who don't really know good mustard based stuff. Shealy's is good but is actually in Leesville, not Batesburg but close anyway. Hites in West Columbia gets my vote although they are not always open. Worth it to get there when they are though.

I live in Greenville and have never heard of Circle M or Brasstown Creek. Bucky's is really good. We always buy from Bucky's when we want BBQ for tailgating. Bucky's has many great side dishes too.
Henry's, Bucky's, and Mike and Jeff's in Greenville. NEVER heard of those other joints.

Reactions: vacock#
If we were to break the state down into specific regions, which places would you rate as the top 3 BBQ joints in your region:

Upstate, Midlands, Pee Dee/Myrtle Beach, Lowcountry.

List the region and your top three. Yes, you can further subdivide to a particular sub-region or city if that works better for you. Feel free to comment on why.

As an example (not my actual top 3)

Upstate:
1) Circle M
2) Bucky's
3) Brasstown Creek

Note: Top 3 can mean whatever it means to you: pure BBQ quality, places you would recommend to visitors, overall offering/quality, etc.
Would love to hear what people in Sburg have to say about their local joints. Have eaten at a few but not really sure how I would rate any of them. Nothing stands out in a great way imo!

Would love to hear what people in Sburg have to say about their local joints. Have eaten at a few but not really sure how I would rate any of them. Nothing stands out in a great way imo!
You want good food in Spartanburg? Head over to Ike's grill. It's not barbeque, but it's the best dang burger joint I've ever been to. It's a 5 min drive from church st.

Reactions: NetworkX
If we were to break the state down into specific regions, which places would you rate as the top 3 BBQ joints in your region:

Upstate, Midlands, Pee Dee/Myrtle Beach, Lowcountry.

List the region and your top three. Yes, you can further subdivide to a particular sub-region or city if that works better for you. Feel free to comment on why.

As an example (not my actual top 3)

Upstate:
1) Circle M
2) Bucky's
3) Brasstown Creek

Note: Top 3 can mean whatever it means to you: pure BBQ quality, places you would recommend to visitors, overall offering/quality, etc.

OK, but for what? Example:

Hunt'in Camp
Tigerville, SC. For smoked Chicken

The Smoking Pig
Pendleton, SC. For Brisket

Henry's
Greenville, SC. For Ribs & chopped with hard outside.

Yes, pork, brisket, beer can chicken and ribs. It's all solid, nothing amazing but very solid, and they have good sides, too. They have four types of sauce at the table you can apply yourself. The only complaint is they can get really packed during busy times.

You want good food in Spartanburg? Head over to Ike's grill. It's not barbeque, but it's the best dang burger joint I've ever been to. It's a 5 min drive from church st.
I've eaten there a hundred times! I know all about burger places in Sburg, my question was about bbq.

OK, but for what? Example:

Hunt'in Camp
Tigerville, SC. For smoked Chicken

The Smoking Pig
Pendleton, SC. For Brisket

Henry's
Greenville, SC. For Ribs & chopped with hard outside.
Never tried Hunt'in Camps chicken, but their bbq sucks, jmo!

Lowcountry BBQ isn't very good. I can't even bring myself to list a top three because I don't like any of them enough to have anyone think I'm bragging about them.

Reactions: BigBlackCock
Maurice's is crap.

1. Shealy's is great, long way from my house.
2. Little Pigs.
3. Jackie Hite's

Looking forward to making the trip to Hemmingway so I can try me some Scotts.

We are in a great place, so many types of Q, all a relatively short drive away.
I'm going to date myself. Historical favs:

Midlands

1. Ray Levers
2. Oak Grove
3. Shealys

Sumter native here, absolutely love Maples Bbq. Unfortunately mr maple (before he passed) always refused to make a sign for it, always said "my foods so good they look till they find it" and he was right.
Riverside BBQ in Georgetown is my #2 again just a small family operation but it's as good as it gets.
Where is Maples? Never heard of it.

ON Hwy 301 in front of the IGA. CJ and Debbie reopening and working on the restaurant remodeling as we speak. B open very shortly

Lowcountry BBQ isn't very good. I can't even bring myself to list a top three because I don't like any of them enough to have anyone think I'm bragging about them.
Sorry but it is better than the tasteless crap they serve in WESTERN NC and SC that they claim is BBQ. If you have to add sauce to a meat to make it edible I will pass. JMHO! :)

Sorry but it is better than the tasteless crap they serve in WESTERN NC and SC that they claim is BBQ. If you have to add sauce to a meat to make it edible I will pass. JMHO! :)
I can't speak for western NC but plenty of places around here drown their meat in sauce. What places in the Lowcountry do you think are good?

Where is Maples? Never heard of it.
It's a little place in Sumter out on Patriot parkway close to the intersection with St. Paul Church rd. If you ever have trouble finding it I suggest coming down patriot parkway from 378, from that point you will see a sign on the right hand side for maples CONSTUCTION, the BBQ is two drive ways down. It's literally just a house with a smoker so it doesn't look great, but they are some of the nicest people and the food is the best.
Hope ya find it.

ON Hwy 301 in front of the IGA. CJ and Debbie reopening and working on the restaurant remodeling as we speak. B open very shortly

Thanks, was wondering if Debbie was involved and glad CJ is.

Cain's is no where near a number one bbq place. It has the tradition and the appearance of a decent bbq place, but the bbq is very average. Not bad but not good either. Ditto for Bill's but Cain's is slightly better. However, I think Bill's has changed hands lately, may be better now.

Grad90, if haven't tried it yet, got to Shulers in Latta. Take I-95 north across Great Pee Dee River, take Bennettsville & Latta exit, turn right onto SC Hwy 38 go 3 miles on your right. You will not be disappointed.

This is a great recommendation. Super.

Upstate
Henry's Smokehouse on Wade Hampton
Bubba's (Spartanburg) on a good night
Henry's in Simpsonville

Midlands
Farm Boys in Chapin
Hudson in Lexington was good when I lived there, understand their not great now.

Upstate
Henry's Smokehouse on Wade Hampton
Bubba's (Spartanburg) on a good night
Henry's in Simpsonville

Midlands
Farm Boys in Chapin
Hudson in Lexington was good when I lived there, understand their not great now.

Neither is Farm Boys

From Florence, but travel all over the Southeast:

1. Scott's - the gold standard
2. Wholly Smokin' - downtown Florence - new kid on the block (ribs are great too)
3. Eastern NC - Parkers, etc.

I try BBQ from Miami to DC to Memphis.....usually disappointed. The Memphis ribs are excellent. Of extreme interest is Jim N' Nicks out of Birmingham (with various other locations). They have decided that the perfect traditional compliment to barbecue is Bourbon.....and have put in Bourbon bars (with an extensive selection). I went to one in Conyers, and was quite impressed with the seriousness of this venture. Fine by me....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT