ADVERTISEMENT

Satterfield should never have been hired in the first place.

There is certainly enough indication from multiple sources that Tanner and Napier had more or less come to an agreement. There were some stumbling blocks but those had been worked through and things were in place before the BOT took a more active role.

Sure there will be no release from the school about this and no one connected to it now is going to go on the record and discuss but depending on how things go with Beamer it will likely get out as time goes on. If Beamer works out someone within the department will tell it like we almost missed out because of Tanner and if he doesn’t then someone will tell it like Tanner took the fall because he couldn’t get his guy.

My guess is in about 3 years one way or the other it will likely be part of the story.
The idea we had one of the hottest names in football locked up and just went another route for a TE coach is just unbelievable.

Reactions: DeBoer31
The idea we had one of the hottest names in football locked up and just went another route for a TE coach is just unbelievable.

eh-sad-but-true.gif

Throw in that it was over the retention of an OC that ended up leaving anyway, and it's even worse.

(I'm sure there were other things that caused it to fall through, not just that, if it's an accurate story)

Reactions: uscwatson21
Throw in that it was over the retention of an OC that ended up leaving anyway, and it's even worse.

(I'm sure there were other things that caused it to fall through, not just that, if it's an accurate story)
Bobo isn’t what ultimately caused it to fall through. That was ironed out but the delay gave the BOT time to decide they wanted to be more involved and Beamer was brought forth as a preferred candidate.

It is entirely possible that no matter what we would have ended up where we are today but it is also possible that if time wasn’t wasted trying to negotiate Bobo staying or going that things would have been different.

Reactions: rogue cock
Bobo isn’t what ultimately caused it to fall through. That was ironed out but the delay gave the BOT time to decide they wanted to be more involved and Beamer was brought forth as a preferred candidate.

It is entirely possible that no matter what we would have ended up where we are today but it is also possible that if time wasn’t wasted trying to negotiate Bobo staying or going that things would have been different.

The more likely scenario is that Tanner may have liked Napier early as one of the candidates, but then actually fell for the Beamer momentum and truly believed he was making the better hire.

I won't argue, as I currently have zero knowledge of those negotiations. But that all sounds completely reasonable.

It's unbelievable because it wasn't going to happen, and it isn't going to happen. The "hottest names in football" can wait for a better opportunity than South Carolina. Ask Tom Herman. He decided to stay at Houston and wait instead of coming here.

Reactions: rogue cock
Good coaches do not want to work for a trainee head coach who they have much more experience and qualifications than.
Nobody wants to take orders from someone less qualified than them to do their job.
It's not Shanes fault. It just is where we are now. I doubt it gets better after Shane fires the couple sacrificial lambs off this 1AA staff.
When did Dabo get his top caliber Coordinators? Dabo had less expeirnce that Shane and he was able to do it.

When did Dabo get his top caliber Coordinators? Dabo had less expeirnce that Shane and he was able to do it.

He promoted the offensive side from within initially, then hired a guy one year out of HS ranks.

On defense, he spent money on Steele, then fired him for sucking. By the time they brought in Venables, it was several years and conference championships (acc) into Dabo tenure.

Edit: I should say at least one conference title. Because they got to the bcs game where uwv shellacked them before Venables was hired.

Chad Morris was one year out of HS football when Dabo hired him. He definitely was not considered "top caliber" at the time.

As far as his first DC, Steele was a SC native who was looking to get back to the state

Reactions: Dizzy01
He promoted the offensive side from within initially, then hired a guy one year out of HS ranks.

On defense, he spent money on Steele, then fired him for sucking. By the time they brought in Venables, it was several years and conference championships (acc) into Dabo tenure.

Edit: I should say at least one conference title. Because they got to the bcs game where uwv shellacked them before Venables was hired.
In spite of the Orange Bowl fiasco, Steele's defenses at Clemson did rank pretty darn high.

Last week on TV it said our class is currently #18. 7th in the SEC. That's roughly on pace with our average classes.

Yeah, depending on the service, I saw one at 21 or 22.

Is that upgrading talent though? Classes ranked right at historical average?

Reactions: uscwatson21
It's more than probable that several teams behind us will pass us as the classes fill up.
So we end up 22-25th overall. Considering we were picked to win roughly 3.5 games and have 5 wins already, you'd have to say we are doing better than most thought. Honestly, other than our offense underperforming, we are doing better than expected to start with. I hate switching coordinators so quickly, but I believe it's needed on offense. Everything isn't so doom and gloom as many of you guys make it out to be.

So we end up 22-25th overall. Considering we were picked to win roughly 3.5 games and have 5 wins already, you'd have to say we are doing better than most thought. Honestly, other than our offense underperforming, we are doing better than expected to start with. I hate switching coordinators so quickly, but I believe it's needed on offense. Everything isn't so doom and gloom as many of you guys make it out to be.
Realistically that’s also about where we were when Holtz and Spurrier were recruiting as well. I get that this staff isn’t perceived on the same level but there is indication that wins are to be had when you recruit in that range. You’ll have to find some hidden gems and/or coach up some rough talent but it can be done.

I think this defensive staff overall is a huge improvement over anything we’ve had since EJ left but they need players especially DBs. Looking at what they lost and the fact that their big pickup from the portal flaked out on them right before the season they’ve shown a lot of promise.

I get the point about making change so quickly but Satterfield was a desperation hire after Bobo walked. It’s not like he’s a guy that’s been successful on any level that you think can replicate what he’s done elsewhere her. He could leave tomorrow and wouldn’t make a big impact on the team so hopefully a little extra time can be put into getting someone that you want versus someone that is quick and easy.

Realistically that’s also about where we were when Holtz and Spurrier were recruiting as well. I get that this staff isn’t perceived on the same level but there is indication that wins are to be had when you recruit in that range. You’ll have to find some hidden gems and/or coach up some rough talent but it can be done.

It's also where we were under Muschamp too, right?

Maybe that means coaching has a lot more to do with it than anything.

No, he didn't. We had a handful of really good games running the ball. The rest of the time we sucked at it, just like this year. Bobo's offense was terrible and part of the reason we fired Muschump. And that was with his veteran QB that he brought with him and a NFL quality receiver.
I agree. Chump brought in Bobo to save his job, and Bobo brought over a back-up type QB to start for him and all 3 of them sucked.

Reactions: 92Pony
I love the whole " Satterfield is garbage" avenue.
He was either 1) hand-picked by the n'er can do wrong Beamer
or 2)he was all n'er can do wrong Beamer could get.

For us Gamecock fans .....it is a worst case scenario.

This post is dumb Satterfield doesn't coach or play on the f××ked offensive line
He is very much part of the OL. Any and every OC (not named SOS) is typically pretty involved upfront. You have to be. The checks, protections, slides, etc...he most certainly is involved. So is Shane Beamer. IF Beamer isn't...that's more reason for him to be fired than anything else he could do.

Absolutely!
White deserves a raise, Satt deserves a pink slip.

And if we can't block anyone, then run some kind of spread/option offense where an opposing defense has to chase skill players all over the field.

There has to be a better way.
Take away JUCO E. Illinois game...and his defense is giving up 4 TDs per game.
If you refine out all the non-P5 schools it's worse.
Satterfield ain't good....but the other two figure heads -Beamer and White.....aren't either. Beamer has (or he had better) have a hand in both sides of the ball.

Satterfield ain't good....but the other two figure heads -Beamer and White.....aren't either. Beamer has (or he had better) have a hand in both sides of the ball.
The defense is spending way too much time in the field and way too many situations with a short field. They are still top 50 in yards per game, 5th in turnovers and 6th in defensive TDs. They aren’t world beaters but they have more than held their own this season compared to the talent they inherited.

This post is dumb Satterfield doesn't coach or play on the f××ked offensive line

Welcome to GamecockCentral, Marcus. Unfortunately, the OL is one of the units on your genius level offense; so... the line and their coach both fall under your direction and realm of responsibility. That being said. Give the ball to ZaQuandre White.

Not true. Our offense has given up points that you are attributing to the defense. When the QB throws a pick six that isn’t on the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT