ADVERTISEMENT

So Barham's High School Coach Called Beamer a Liar

broken_cock_

Sep 17, 2019
"The sad part is, people don’t know people and they just make judgements, right, and they put it out there. I was a little disappointed in coach Beamer for him to say that about that kid because that’s not the truth..."

Says that they may cut off Gamecocks from recruiting there, like they did LSU. Drama queens.

Also, unless you want to get really pissed, do not read the comment section.

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...r-for-Barham-comment-It-wasnt-true-178587796/

"The sad part is, people don’t know people and they just make judgements, right, and they put it out there. I was a little disappointed in coach Beamer for him to say that about that kid because that’s not the truth..."

Says that they may cut off Gamecocks from recruiting there, like they did LSU. Drama queens.

https://247sports.com/college/maryl...r-for-Barham-comment-It-wasnt-true-178587796/

I wouldn't worry about the coach at St. Francis.. It's funny how he ends up with great HS player$$$$$ at his program...

Interesting. I don't feel like Shane would lie about the phone call telling him what was going to happen, but wonder if he actually gains anything (or loses anything) by being so honest about this. Would it have been better to just have alluded to knowing what was up, as opposed to directly calling the kid out? Just something simple like: we were actually expecting this based on information we received after his verbal commitment - and just left it at that?

It obviously needed to be addressed (so USC doesn't look foolish in the eyes of other recruits), but maybe a little too far? Of course, what's done is done. Maybe it's a good thing and I'm just not seeing it?

I think it would be delightful if football coaches would adopt the laissez-faire, dismissive, "open ended" approach that some players do...tell the players, "Well, we have not decided on whether you'll play for us...but we'll let you know". smdh at coddling a bunch of know-nothings as though they were adults capable of coherent thoughts with actual plan-making abilities.

Interesting. I don't feel like Shane would lie about the phone call telling him what was going to happen, but wonder if he actually gains anything (or loses anything) by being so honest about this. Would it have been better to just have alluded to knowing what was up, as opposed to directly calling the kid out? Just something simple like: we were actually expecting this based on information we received after his verbal commitment - and just left it at that?

It obviously needed to be addressed (so USC doesn't look foolish in the eyes of other recruits), but maybe a little too far? Of course, what's done is done. Maybe it's a good thing and I'm just not seeing it?

When a Diva coach calls out LSU one year and Carolina the next year, then put that Diva coach in category of The Boy who Cried Wolf..

Well, let's look at the events/facts from the standpoint of a casual, non-biased bystander.

- There was a spirited recruiting battle between USC and Maryland for the player.
- The player was set to commit, then in the moments leading up to his ceremony (and after it came out that he was set to commit to MD), it was delayed by an hour or so.
- The player, during his delayed ceremony, commits to USC.
- Immediately after the ceremony, Beamer gets a call from someone "in the know" telling him that this is an act and a flip will take place on signing day. Now, we have no proof of this.. but why would Beamer lie about it? It would serve no purpose to make it up. Nor does Beamer have any previous history of lying/stretching the truth.
- On signing day eve, Beamer talks to the kid and the mom, where they re-affirm their commitment and speak about how impressed they were with the way our coaches handled their business. Again, we have no proof of this, but like the last point, what would be the purpose of lying about this?
- Finally, and THIS is what, in my opinion, supports the entire story that Beamer told, the family shows up to the signing ceremony with at least some of them dressed in Gamecock garb, only to pull a switcheroo and sign with Maryland.

This was not a commitment ceremony where the kid switched hats or did a multiple shirt thing. This was a signing ceremony where the player had already publically committed to one school, the family showed up in that school's gear, then they pulled the switch. You can't tell me that the entire family didn't know about it.

So, if you're looking at the facts as a non-biased observer, who would you believe based on what you have seen? I don't have an issue with Shane being brutally honest about this. Coaching staffs get called on the carpet when they do dirty, underhanded crap, and they SHOULD. It should be no different for anyone else. Wrong is wrong.

I am glad Beamer called it out. This looks like a trend in college recruiting (the staged flip) and Beamer was putting it out there that players probably shouldn't consider including Carolina in that drama.

There is no way Beamer makes those comments if they aren't 100% true. No way.

I completely agree with your assessment. This is a learning lesson for Coach. Move on...........

Reactions: mikelifsey
Well, let's look at the events/facts from the standpoint of a casual, non-biased bystander.

- There was a spirited recruiting battle between USC and Maryland for the player.
- The player was set to commit, then in the moments leading up to his ceremony (and after it came out that he was set to commit to MD), it was delayed by an hour or so.
- The player, during his delayed ceremony, commits to USC.
- Immediately after the ceremony, Beamer gets a call from someone "in the know" telling him that this is an act and a flip will take place on signing day. Now, we have no proof of this.. but why would Beamer lie about it? It would serve no purpose to make it up. Nor does Beamer have any previous history of lying/stretching the truth.
- On signing day eve, Beamer talks to the kid and the mom, where they re-affirm their commitment and speak about how impressed they were with the way our coaches handled their business. Again, we have no proof of this, but like the last point, what would be the purpose of lying about this?
- Finally, and THIS is what, in my opinion, supports the entire story that Beamer told, the family shows up to the signing ceremony with at least some of them dressed in Gamecock garb, only to pull a switcheroo and sign with Maryland.

This was not a commitment ceremony where the kid switched hats or did a multiple shirt thing. This was a signing ceremony where the player had already publically committed to one school, the family showed up in that school's gear, then they pulled the switch. You can't tell me that the entire family didn't know about it.

So, if you're looking at the facts as a non-biased observer, who would you believe based on what you have seen? I don't have an issue with Shane being brutally honest about this. Coaching staffs get called on the carpet when they do dirty, underhanded crap, and they SHOULD. It should be no different for anyone else. Wrong is wrong.
I think you can add the fact Maryland pulled the “flip” video from their accounts shortly after Beamer’s comments. Nothings says that didn’t happen like pulling the video you produced to “brag” about it.

F this coach and situation in MD. Now, I don't think Beamer should ever comment on de-commitments, etc....it is a ridiculous circus....but you can't change that. But whatever to this coach. I don't want to recruit MD or the "DMV" anyway. If we keep doing that and being up there, we will go backwards in the SEC.

Not sure it looks good for either school or coach. Not doubting Beamer's side of the story. Just not sure it looks good to call a recruit out and make a big issue about a kid changing his mind. Kids change their mind all the time, it's part of the recruiting game. It upsets the fans and now it appears to upset the coach. Beamer is an experienced recruiter but inexperienced head coach. Sometimes it's best to move on from a situation and not bring unwanted attention to a struggling program and some positive momentum from this season.

Not sure it looks good for either school or coach. Not doubting Beamer's side of the story. Just not sure it looks good to call a recruit out and make a big issue about a kid changing his mind. Kids change their mind all the time, it's part of the recruiting game. It upsets the fans and now it appears to upset the coach. Beamer is an experienced recruiter but inexperienced head coach. Sometimes it's best to move on from a situation and not bring unwanted attention to a struggling program and some positive momentum from this season.
I dont think that was what happened. Beamer and USC coaches are upset because this is not a case of a HS kid simply having a change of heart. This was a staged flip by the family and Maryland coaches for media hype.

I like Beamer's comments. I want our coaches battling and defending the brand and reputation of our programs.

dumb ass thoughts you have

I dont think that was what happened. Beamer and USC coaches are upset because this is not a case of a HS kid simply having a change of heart. This was a staged flip by the family and Maryland coaches for media hype.

I like Beamer's comments. I want our coaches battling and defending the brand and reputation of our programs.
Both the Maryland coach and the high school coach deny this. Beamer got a call from someone he trusted to be reliable with this information. Not doubting Beamer's side of the story but is it reliable information. He's upset about what went down, but should he make a comment publically about something that he can't prove. Some people in the media outlets look for something to write and make noise. Beamer provided them with a story. In my opinion, it doesn't look good for either program but the high school coach says the staging wasn't true.

Reactions: rogue cock
Both the Maryland coach and the high school coach deny this. Beamer got a call from someone he trusted to be reliable with this information. Not doubting Beamer's side of the story but is it reliable information. He's upset about what went down, but should he make a comment publically about something that he can't prove. Some people in the media outlets look for something to write and make noise. Beamer provided them with a story. In my opinion, it doesn't look good for either program but the high school coach says the staging wasn't true.
Agree to disagree. I stand by my feeling good about Beamer's statements and glad he did it.

Think Saban would give a _____ about this coach?
Helllllll no

I’m not saying we have Saban or we’re Alabama - I get all that - but I am saying you can carry yourself and hold people to SOME level of standards in this crazy world of CFB

How could anyone possibly think the way those coaches and that kid handled all this was the right way to do things?

They're over there now talking about us talking about it like we are in the wrong.

It's hilarious honestly. Do we really live in a world where honesty isn't valued in any way?

I have no problem with Beamer calling the kid out on it because he needs to be called out. Karma is a mean mistress and the sooner the kid learns that lying there's no way to live your life the better.

It's definitely not sour grapes at this point to say we're better off, we're bigger than this, and we can now move on.

I don't care either way but I think Shane was just being honest with his thoughts.

The kid and his mom spent a lot of time just this past weekend on the phone with him detailing why they thought South Carolina was the perfect place for him.

Then all of a sudden Shane says he hears that the kid will be going to Maryland and it's a done deal. Not that he's having second thoughts - not that he still isn't sure - but that he's going to Maryland and that has been the plan all along.

I think it's fair for Beamer to believe it was a set up.

Was it? no idea. In the end, it doesn't matter. Kid made his choice and that's over.

I don't care where a kid picks to go to school but as the father of a college junior and a high school senior that has selected his choice, I don't understand how anyone gets to the point where they tell one school one thing and then back out and pick another school right after making a public commit.

My high school senior has been actively pursued by 2 particular schools because of his academic performance. It's been aggressive at times. But I know it's nothing like an athlete faces.

But at no time would I ever imagine my son promising one school that's he's coming there and then immediately backing out and promising the other. That's inconceivable to me.

Think Saban would give a _____ about this coach?
Helllllll no

I’m not saying we have Saban or we’re Alabama - I get all that - but I am saying you can carry yourself and hold people to SOME level of standards in this crazy world of CF

I am on Beamer's side on this one. He obviously is finding out the hard way, you cant always trust people!!

Last edited:

It would've been better had he been more tactful, but the only people who can really get mad about too much honesty are those that need to keep face.

If this displayed the character of this kid he won't last long anywhere. I'm in with Beamer on this one he was obviously played and wouldn't even had mentioned it if there wasn't truth to it. $$$$

What are we gonna miss out by not recruiting that one school in MD?

At this point, yes, Shane should just let it go, but he absolutely did the right thing by laying out what happened. Especially after the mom was running her mouth about us at his commitment..."Go Terps sounds better than Go Cocks." Moron. The whole thing was obviously staged. Why else would she have reason to say such an ignorant thing? If that's how mom acts, the apple probably doesn't fall far from the tree, so we're better off without him.

On second thought, if I were Beamer, I'd release a statement saying something to the effect of "We have already internally made the decision not to recruit St. Francis. Our program is one that places the highest value on honesty, integrity and loyalty. We understand that not everyone is aligned with our values."

A teenager changed his mind? Surely not. A teenager displaying some childish antics? Surely not.
Two adult coaches bitching about it? They both should know better.

Reactions: hillstosea
When a Diva coach calls out LSU one year and Carolina the next year, then put that Diva coach in category of The Boy who Cried Wolf..
Whatever complaints the coach may have, legitimate or otherwise, I think he loses credibility when he claims to block two SEC programs from recruiting his school. I think it's hard to say you are looking out for your kids' best interest when you close the door on two P5 programs and universities that a kid might find attractive.

Reactions: SouthCarolinagal
A teenager changed his mind? Surely not. A teenager displaying some childish antics? Surely not.
Two adult coaches bitching about it? They both should know better.

To be fair, so far it's just Barham's high school coach who is doing the bi*ching. Beamer was asked what happened and simply relayed the facts. I don't think Beamer is obliged to cover up what happened. It is what it is.

Well, a HS coach has never been known to defend one of his lying, backstabbing, petty, attention seeking players or their moms. In fact, all HS coaches are the salt of the earth and never lie. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, mind you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmac069
My only issue with what Shane did was he gave Maryland attention. 4 star or not no one on a national level cares what happens at Maryland. They were an irrelevant ACC team and now they are an irrelevant Big 10 team. The only people talking about this are Carolina and Maryland fans and since Carolina already had the attention from the Rattler and Stogner decisions there was no need to let Maryland get any periphery attention no matter how short term.

Reactions: viennacocks
What are we gonna miss out by not recruiting that one school in MD?

At this point, yes, Shane should just let it go, but he absolutely did the right thing by laying out what happened. Especially after the mom was running her mouth about us at his commitment..."Go Terps sounds better than Go Cocks." Moron. The whole thing was obviously staged. Why else would she have reason to say such an ignorant thing? If that's how mom acts, the apple probably doesn't fall far from the tree, so we're better off without him.

On second thought, if I were Beamer, I'd release a statement saying something to the effect of "We have already internally made the decision not to recruit St. Francis. Our program is one that places the highest value on honesty, integrity and loyalty. We understand that not everyone is aligned with our values."
I'm pretty sure he won't a statement similar to what you posted. He's smarter than that.

OMG! Now our 'pipeline' for elite recruits from St. Francis has been shut down. What will we do without them? LMAO

F this coach and the high horse he rode in on.

I did some digging around, this coach seems very Dabo-ish. He seems very shady, loves to act holier than thou. Yeah I wouldn’t put too much care in what he says or anything about his shady program. I bet this guy was even in on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT