ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M trip

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
We are flying out to College Station on Thurs from CAE.
I have a busy week so packing today.
We've never been so looking forward to the trip.
We plan on going to the Midnight yell on Fri and to the game on Sat.
Explore the campus on Friday too.

I love to hike so if anyone knows of any great places to explore outside of College Station let me know.
We have been told to visit Snows Bbq.
We are going to Austin on Sun and flying out of there Tues.
Never been to Austin either.

Reactions: washington cock
In College Station try Good Bull BBQ. It is excellent. A good friend of mine owns it and they always have good food. The Pig Mac taco is a big hit with everyone I've gone with. I've not tasted it with my gluten allergy, but there are lots of yummy noises and the conversation gets quiet when they are delivered to the table.

In Austin, there are a lot of great places to eat.
Make it a point to catch the sunset at the Oasis. The fish tacos are good there, along with a margarita or three.
Cheuy's and Rudys are also very good. But, like the post above Salt Lick is the can't miss place to eat.
My favorite place - Threadgills - is now closed. I used to send everyone there for good TX-Southern comfort food.
Last thing, take a stroll down 6th Street as well. Lot's of good music. It will likely be fairly subdued Sun and Mon, but there will still be some good places open.

I've lived in TX for 19 years now, the BBQ here is really good, but I do miss my SC mustard sauce. There are some places that have 'Carolina' bbq sauce. God bless them, they try, but it is just not the same.

In College Station try Good Bull BBQ. It is excellent. A good friend of mine owns it and they always have good food. The Pig Mac taco is a big hit with everyone I've gone with. I've not tasted it with my gluten allergy, but there are lots of yummy noises and the conversation gets quiet when they are delivered to the table.

Make it a point to catch the sunset at the Oasis. The fish tacos are good there, along with a margarita or three.
Cheuy's and Rudys are also very good. But, like the post above Salt Lick is the can't miss place to eat.
My favorite place - Threadgills - is now closed. I used to send everyone there for good TX-Southern comfort food.
Last thing, take a stroll down 6th Street as well. Lot's of good music. It will likely be fairly subdued Sun and Mon, but there will still be some good places open.

I've lived in TX for 19 years now, the BBQ here is really good, but I do miss my SC mustard sauce. There are some places that have 'Carolina' bbq sauce. God bless them, they try, but it is just not the same.
OP I'd skip Chuy's and Rudy's as it's very average food. Chuy's is decent Tex-Mex but you can get much better. Rudy's is very average BBQ... again you can do much better in Austin.

Good luck going to their midnight yell... they are the weirdest MFs around. College Station is a dump.

I'd suggest walking around UT's campus in Austin as it is so much better than A&Ms.

You should enjoy the tailgating and game though... their stadium is massive and the crowd is loud.

Enjoy your trip!

I love to hike so if anyone knows of any great places to explore outside of College Station let me know.

I have been to A&M for a Carolina baseball game.

They are essentially in the middle of nowhere.

The Northgate area is a popular part of campus. But, nothing box checking. Just places to stay and bars.

Austin - go to Mount Bonnell if you want a beautiful view of the Lake and hill country. You will have to walk ip about 100 steps, but it’s good exercise.

Franklins or Stubbs BBQ.

Bike and eat guided tours are great. But, they aren’t doing that many days now.

Always live music on 6th Street.

Check to see if they are having any festivals or shows in the area (Zikker Park, Ladybird Lake).

Last edited:
Sound Awesome to me. I am a Dallas Cowboys Fan. My wife and I have it on our Bucket List to Visit Texas and Watch the Cowboys Play a Game Some Day.

I have been to A&M for a Carolina baseball game.

They are essentially in the middle of nowhere.

The Northgate area is a popular part of campus. But, nothing box checking. Just places to stay and bars.

Austin - go to Mount Bonnell if you want a beautiful view of the Lake and hill country. You will have to walk ip about 100 steps, but it’s good exercise.

Franklins or Stubbs BBQ.

Bike and eat guided tours are great. But, they aren’t doing that many days now.

Always live music on 6th Street.

Check to see if they are having any festivals or shows in the area (Zikker Park, Ladybird Lake).
Thanks.
All that sounds awesome.

OP I'd skip Chuy's and Rudy's as it's very average food. Chuy's is decent Tex-Mex but you can get much better. Rudy's is very average BBQ... again you can do much better in Austin.

Good luck going to their midnight yell... they are the weirdest MFs around. College Station is a dump.

I'd suggest walking around UT's campus in Austin as it is so much better than A&Ms.

You should enjoy the tailgating and game though... their stadium is massive and the crowd is loud.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks. I'm beginning to think we allotted too much time to College Station lol.

Thank you!!!!!

Reactions: TexasCox

You go mom!!

Reactions: cockymom2boys

I hope you have a fantastic trip.

I live in Austin and I had friends coming in. But they cancelld ecuase all of the hotels are sold out or outrageously expensive. The Texas A&M weekend is the same weekend as the Austin F1 Grand Prix race at the Circuit of the Americas. How did you find a place to stay? and when I mean outrageious, I am seeming rates likIe $999 a night for a Hilton Garden Inn in Round Rock, a suburb of Austin.

And if you want really good BBQ (also historic and legendary, drive from Austin through Taylor, TX. Then stop at Louis Mueller's BBQ. In Texas, Mueller is pronounced like "Miller".

I live in Austin and I had friends coming in. But they cancelld ecuase all of the hotels are sold out or outrageously expensive. The Texas A&M weekend is the same weekend as the Austin F1 Grand Prix race at the Circuit of the Americas. How did you find a place to stay? and when I mean outrageious, I am seeming rates likIe $999 a night for a Hilton Garden Inn in Round Rock, a suburb of Austin.

And if you want really good BBQ (also historic and legendary, drive from Austin through Taylor, TX. Then stop at Louis Mueller's BBQ. In Texas, Mueller is pronounced like "Miller".

Haven't seen you post in ages. How are your boys doing?

When you are in Austin and someone suggests visiting Hippie Hollow, just say no thank you, ;).

Wish I could help you, as I have been to Austin many times, but a long time ago. My uncle and aunt lived in the Hill Country with wonderful views of the river. That is where I learned to water ski. Mu uncle was in charge of the graduate department at UT for the psychology dept.

Hope you and yours have a great time to College Station and Austin.

Sound Awesome to me. I am a Dallas Cowboys Fan. My wife and I have it on our Bucket List to Visit Texas and Watch the Cowboys Play a Game Some Day.
Even if you can't catch a game, in the middle of the week perhaps, then take a tour of the stadium. Jerryworld is fun to tour, as you get to go through the locker rooms and onto the field. Hint: The Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders locker room is more fun than the players.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
The GWB Library really is the only thing worth seeing around College Station. Just not a lot happening there. I’d head to Austin early if you can, or if that’s not possible, visit San Antonio.

Haven't seen you post in ages. How are your boys doing?

When you are in Austin and someone suggests visiting Hippie Hollow, just say no thank you, ;).

Wish I could help you, as I have been to Austin many times, but a long time ago. My uncle and aunt lived in the Hill Country with wonderful views of the river. That is where I learned to water ski. Mu uncle was in charge of the graduate department at UT for the psychology dept.

Hope you and yours have a great time to College Station and Austin.
Thank you so much!
Great to hear from you as well.
We dropped the Insider Forum several years ago.
Both of my sons are well.
The oldest is married and the youngest has been dating a lovely gal for 2 years.

I'm sad we are spending 3 days in College Station but didn't plan on the Bush Library being closed or the game being at night lol.

Reactions: washington cock

Thank you.
We rented an air b&b.

Thank you so much!
Great to hear from you as well.
We dropped the Insider Forum several years ago.
Both of my sons are well.
The oldest is married and the youngest has been dating a lovely gal for 2 years.

I'm sad we are spending 3 days in College Station but didn't plan on the Bush Library being closed or the game being at night lol.
Despite what some in the thread are saying, believe you will have a good time in College Station. Pretty sure you will enjoy the Midnight Yell. Also bet you will find some neat eating places. Have fun.

Reactions: Tmac069

Here's the best BBQ guide for Texas BBQ. The three best types are moist brisket, Jalapeno sausage links, sausage links, and "Chopped". Chopped isn't everywhere but it's chopped-up brisket mixed with sauce. closest thing to pulled pork in Texas.

The links are more like german sausage or brats.

Reactions: TexasCox
We allotted 3 unfortunately

3 days in College Station?

You should kick out early and spend one of those days in Austin.

If you are staying, then hop on Highway 290 and drive 60 miles (pretty much a straight shot) to Houston and at least go to the Premium Outlet area at 290 and 99 (the Grand Parkway).

Plenty of shopping.

If you do Snow's, you can call by Wednesday and skip the line. Kerry, the owner, takes orders on his cell (979-542-8189). However, the line is part of the fun. Cooler of free Lone Stars while you wait at 8 a.m. Get the brisket and the pork steak for sure. The sides are real simple but I liked the pintos. And the jalapeno sausage was good. Get your picture took with Miss Tootsie if she's not too busy. She's an octogenarian rock star and a total sweetie. About an hour drive through Texas Hill Country. I was there for the Clemson game in 2018. Heated ending but the nicest fan base I've been around. 12th man is quite a show and if you have lower deck visitor's tickets you'll sit right next to them. Enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT