ADVERTISEMENT

The New Morning Show

uscbeckham

Staff
Oct 22, 2001
Chapin, SC
Okay, I've let it marinate for a while. It's okay, and definitely better than the previous one.

I think that Bill Gunter and Jennifer Jensen do a great job.

One major problem for me. Tim Hill is a smartass on the show and just rubs me the wrong way. I could let that go, but the way that he interrupts Bill and Jen pisses me off. They'll be in the middle of some good rational thought, and he won't let them finish a damned sentence. I can't stand that crap.

Much better than the previous version of the show! I thought if I had to listen to the same old thing again I was going to need a hole in my head or a whole new head (excuse the Bob Shields pun).

As far as the new show is concerned, I don't mind a certain amount of Tim Hill's smart assery but he's a little too over the top with it. A little goes a long way Tim.

I like the show. It's wayyy better than the last show. I think it will get even better once the season starts. I may be in the minority here too, but I even like the fact they let that Clemson caller talk on the radio everyday. Seems to fire up the phone lines and makes for a good show.

I think the powers that be told Tim to be "the smartass of the show" but he's overdoing it. Why they can't have 3 people that are enjoyable to listen to is beyond me. I guess radio is wanting to be like reality tv now.

The show is extremely painful to listen to. I honestly think they could have hired ANYONE else to do a better job. Tim Hill knows nothing about sports and comes off as an arrogant jackass. Gunter and Columbia deserve much better. Hell, I'd even take Benji back over Tim Hill.

Reactions: caigmaster
Tim Hill . . . geesh! Do the management people at 107.5 (and all the other radio stations) ever hold 'listener try-outs' for these local sports shows? You know, like testing the waters???

The show is extremely painful to listen to. I honestly think they could have hired ANYONE else to do a better job. Tim Hill knows nothing about sports and comes off as an arrogant jackass. Gunter and Columbia deserve much better. Hell, I'd even take Benji back over Tim Hill.

Let's not get carried away here..........

I agree beckham - as I've taken some time to get used to it, it's pretty decent. It is light years better than what it replaced.

Now if they could just cut down on the 50min of commercials per hour!!!

Now if they could just cut down on the 50min of commercials per hour!!!

My personal favorite is when they come back from a commercial break & the on-air person immediately goes into reading another commercial. "Total Wine....." "Overhead Door...." etc.

Reactions: 92Pony
Interesting. I feel just the opposite. I enjoyed Bill Gunter when he was filling in before. Now, to me. he seems like a whiney old man. Even the tone of his voice is different. I don't listen very often because they spend so much time talking about - nothing. Of course, there has not been a lot of Carolina sports going on, so I am hoping once the season really starts things will be better.

My personal favorite is when they come back from a commercial break & the on-air person immediately goes into reading another commercial. "Total Wine....." "Overhead Door...." etc.
I turn it off from 7:48-8:04 (this is the time on my clock). It is 100% commercial.

Okay, I've let it marinate for a while. It's okay, and definitely better than the previous one.

One major problem for me. Tim Hill is a smartass on the show and just rubs me the wrong way. I could let that go, but the way that he interrupts Bill and Jen pisses me off. They'll be in the middle of some good rational thought, and he won't let them finish a damned sentence. I can't stand that crap.

Maybe that Tim Hill is actually KMac in disguise:):):)

Totally agree! I think Gunter is really good -- I love listening to his analysis. I can't stand listening to Tim Hill though. He just seems to interrupt with "nothingness" comments meant to distract Gunter from completing his thoughts. It's very annoying. I actually like listening to Jennifer too -- but mostly for what I imagine she looks like.

Reactions: caigmaster
I agree about Gunter, he really is good. I think Hill is trying to hard to be the "funny guy".

Bingo!!! I have never liked Tim Hill very much because of what you just said. Smart ass.

Sorry I liked the old show - always did. Now I listen either to Classic Hits with Benji on 98.5 or Teddy and Rick on 620 am, depending on what music is on or what the topic is on sports. If it`s anything other than about USC or Clemson, I don`t listen.

Sorry I liked the old show - always did. Now I listen either to Classic Hits with Benji on 98.5 or Teddy and Rick on 620 am, depending on what music is on or what the topic is on sports. If it`s anything other than about USC or Clemson, I don`t listen.

So you were the one guy!! J/K ;):p

Sorry, I'll take Reynolds all day, everyday over 107.5, talks more sports, better guest and half the commercials! It's a no-brainer for me!

It should be the late night show, would help me fall asleep.

I like Gunter and he'll be better during basketball season. He can actually discuss basketball recruiting. That'll be a first on 107.5

Tim Hill...Yeah, I don't get it. It's like he deliberately attempts to derail any serious conversation.

Agree. Tim overplays it too often. He doesn't have to agree with everything, but don't disagree just for the heck of it. That is romper room stuff.

I have turned it off for now. Might give it another try in a week or two.

I think the powers that be told Tim to be "the smartass of the show" but he's overdoing it. Why they can't have 3 people that are enjoyable to listen to is beyond me. I guess radio is wanting to be like reality tv now.

I like the new show, drastic improvement from Benji and company. I do think that Tim Hill plays "contrarian" too often, and it really seems like he does so to create a debate more so than backs up his opinion. I'd rather listen to them both just give their honest opinion

I hear a lot of non gamecock fans say the new morning show sucks and for that reason, I love the new show. We are in gamecock country, The University of South Carolina. It should be usc-biased

Reactions: IrmoRed and 92Pony
You guys are nuts. Every single person I know agrees the new show is 1000% better than the last crew. These guys talk USC sports (from this century), for goodness sake.

The only local sports show I can listen to is run by a Gamecock in the low country.

Bobby Hartin does a great job with fan talk IMO

I miss Columbia, but in Summerville I have daily access to Bobby Hartin. He is nimble with callers. "Dave" on 98.9 in Charleston is now "Glenn" on Sportstalk ,btw. Hartin has blacklisted "Jerome" while Korn gives him full reighn to waste everyone in the state's time. Hartin would kill on the flagship, he is different from anyone in Columbia...in a good way.

It needs to be mentioned that Bobby was president of the Charleston County GAMECOCK Club for a long time. He also has Clemson guys (Huge) that are regulars and level headed. Bobby has annoying callers that he is able to appease politely while keeping listeners giggling. This is a rare concept nowadays. He has had Crown and Cokes with a large amount of the callers.This allows respect from the few Clemson callers. FSU,UNC, and, yes, painfully, Boston(John) College. Heck, even "Alex from Baton Rouge" who lived here previously.
Point is, Bobby is your next door neighbor. To me, there's no higher praise. BTW, he was a cheerleader in the 70s. A total Orangeburg born original old school GAMECOCK.....who wanted to go to Clemson .....originally. Great story. 98.9fm and am 910 in Charleston.

I haven't listened to 107.5 in a long time and I'm a radio junkie. The station just sucks for it to be the flagstation for USC sports.

Yesterday, I was driving through Columbia on my way back to Charleston. At 4:05, I flipped to 107.5 and as usual they were discussing Clemson football. Larry Williams, an all in tater reporter was going on and on gushing about the unbelievable talent on Clemson's roster. My car radio will pick up 107.5 just until I get to I-95. Heath and Larry talked about Clemson all the way to I-95.

I won't tune in again for a long time.

I haven't listened to 107.5 in a long time and I'm a radio junkie. The station just sucks for it to be the flagstation for USC sports.

Yesterday, I was driving through Columbia on my way back to Charleston. At 4:05, I flipped to 107.5 and as usual they were discussing Clemson football. Larry Williams, an all in tater reporter was going on and on gushing about the unbelievable talent on Clemson's roster. My car radio will pick up 107.5 just until I get to I-95. Heath and Larry talked about Clemson all the way to I-95.

I turn the station when Larry Williams joins the show (he doesn't come on often). There may be interest from other Gamecock fans in hearing from Larry but I have zero. I may be the exception but I have very little interest in hearing from each team in the listener top 20. I turn the station until Heath is done with the interview. All that said, I'm a big fan of Heath's show.

Did anyone listen this morning with Frank Martin. Frank told Tim he was too negative and was always contradicting Gunter. He said they need better comradery.

I didn't hear it but if Frank said that he is right.

I don't mind a host disagreeing but I hate when that host thinks his job is to have a contrary opinion most of the time. It comes across as a gimmick - and gets old very fast.

For some reason, people like that seem fake.

Did anyone listen this morning with Frank Martin. Frank told Tim he was too negative and was always contradicting Gunter. He said they need better comradery.

I grimaced through most of that. Gotta wonder if an upstate station would have David Cloniger or such on one of their shows....... (Maybe they do - I don't get to listen to any stations up there, but I doubt it).

I like Frank Martin, but disagree with what he was saying on being negative. Just like Spurrier hated when the local media was critical of the Gamecocks at times. I for one, don't like the 100% sunshine pumping all the time. I want truthful and unbiased commentary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT