ADVERTISEMENT

The USA women are playing for the world title and hardly anyone is talking about it

IF it were the men then more than likely they would be on every TV set in the country. It's not the sport, it's because it's the women. Women soccer is worse than the WNBA.

The only reason it gets any attention at all is because it is a world event and folks get to wrap themselves in the flag and be patriotic. Look at the WNBA. Nobody cares. Ditto other women's pro sports. Nobody cares unless it is a world event, or if a college has an elite team that the followers of a school jump on because they are having success.

I watched the entire game and was into it the whole game. I almost lost my voice when Germany psyched out Solo, but missed the PK, and then we turn around and get the PK from Carli Lloyd.

Why so many give-aways? I know we won but they could be a little crisper in their passing and see that an opponent is closing in on the person you are passing the ball. It seemed that we were surprised that Germany was so quick. JMHO.

my son loves soccer.....we have watched almost every match....that was definitely the best one....the rest have been ehhhh....too bad they played each other in the semis, cuz imo it was the championship.....i dont think japan/england can hang, but we will see

I was little harsh on the USWNT , because the WNBA is far more unbearable to watch. I will be watching the World Cup Final though.

You aren't listening to & watching the same outlets as me, obviously.

Exactly. It's been nothing but the talk on Fox Sports and Espn has given it plenty of time. Plus, all the soccer outlets have been non-stop talking about it.

If your outlets are local sports and shows who demographics are older men it's to be expected.

IF it were the men then more than likely they would be on every TV set in the country. It's not the sport, it's because it's the women. Women soccer is worse than the WNBA.
Sounds like somebody would rather watch men in shorts than watch women in shorts.

I've watched every minute of the lady's play and enjoyed most of it. The ability for them to win playing different styles of ball and also to do it with different lineups and formations, it is incredible the talent to be able to do that. It's like in football going from a spread offense to a run offense every game. Great game, great sport, great for the ladies!! Keep it up!

Dismissive name calling is always fun ....... Until they start doing it to you

I didn't call anyone a name, and care to argue either the point that women's sports are not as popular as men's, or that soccer is not as popular the big three (football, basketball, baseball) in America? You probably shouldn't as Nielsen ratings say otherwise.

they try to force feed us soccer but still no one really cares

I didn't call anyone a name, and care to argue either the point that women's sports are not as popular as men's, or that soccer is not as popular the big three (football, basketball, baseball) in America? You probably shouldn't as Nielsen ratings say otherwise.

Yeah, you are right you didn't call anybody a name. Probably would have been fairer to say

Dismissive and possibly interpreted as misogynistic attitudes are always fun until those same attitudes are used on you

For me, soccer (men or women) is just a tick above the NHL and NBA......oh, and Nascar. :D And yeah, that means I'm not watching or talking about it. :)

Yeah, you are right you didn't call anybody a name. Probably would have been fairer to say

Dismissive and possibly interpreted as misogynistic attitudes are always fun until those same attitudes are used on you

Women's sports are not as popular as men's. That is a fact. From revenue generated to overall viewership, there is a lot of data to support this. Does that make American society inherently misogynistic?
Anyway, to avoid straying further from the point, the reason it's not being talked about at great length is because it is a combination of those two relatively unpopular things.

Your facts are correct I am sure. Your original post that sea rooster responded to was dismissive in attitude.
I was merely pointing out to you when you are dismissive and smart alecky in your posts you can't act surprised and upset when others respond in kind
Irony possibly?

Perhaps it came off as smart alecky because it was terse, but those are the in my opinion the primary reasons it's not the talk of the town, and not important to me personally. Also, I think you and I have come to an understanding through mature dialogue (though we may not agree on the point at hand). I can respect that. Whereas I can't respect someone who labels a person that doesn't agree with them ignorant and a redneck, simply because they don't agree with them.
You're now on my good posters list, congrats!

The USA vs. Germany game was intense. A very exciting game for me. I will also be watching the championship.

P.S. We were the underdog with everyone thinking Germany was going to run away with it. Proved them wrong!

Your facts are correct I am sure. Your original post that sea rooster responded to was dismissive in attitude.
I was merely pointing out to you when you are dismissive and smart alecky in your posts you can't act surprised and upset.
Irony possibly?
Perhaps it came off as smart alecky because it was terse, but those are the in my opinion the primary reasons it's not the talk of the town, and not important to me personally. Also, I think you and I have come to an understanding through mature dialogue (though we may not agree on the point at hand). I can respect that. Whereas I can't respect someone who labels a person that doesn't agree with them ignorant and a redneck, simply because they don't agree with them.
You're now on my good posters list, congrats!

Well thanks! Sometimes my smarta$$ nature blurts out and I understand my point even when I have not made it clear to others

Reactions: wentzel25
they try to force feed us soccer but still no one really cares

Who's the us and the no one? Lots of people in this thread care and millions of other fans care. Just because you're not a fan doesn't mean your bland generalizations account for everyone.

but there is nothing else going on, but lame golf and racing, and tennis, and regulars season baseball.

No doubt, it's a dark period in the sporting world for me right now. I'm relying on NBA free agency and NFL crime blotter to pull me through.

Reactions: mikey888
I was watching and turned my head for a mere hour and a half and BAM! The score is 1-0 and I missed it.

Sounds like you are looking for something to fight about.

I think the guy was simply offering an explanation as to why people aren't talking about it more. You can agree or disagree with what people think about women's soccer but if somebody asks "why aren't people talking about it more?" the explanation that Americans aren't as interested in a) women's sports or b) soccer appears to be a valid one.

Reactions: wentzel25
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT