ADVERTISEMENT

Updated recruiting rankings: Gamecocks in CFP contention!

The sobering fact is that we are below 50th in the rankings if you look at our average star ratings. That puts us ahead of exactly one SEC school. That's not good unless the recruiting pros are missing the mark because of corona.

Reactions: uscwatson21
The sobering fact is that we are below 50th in the rankings if you look at our average star ratings. That puts us ahead of exactly one SEC school. That's not good unless the recruiting pros are missing the mark because of corona.
Puts us ahead of three

According to 247 we are 5th in SEC
Reread my post. If you go by average star ranking we are next to last. That's really the only metric you can use right now considering the teams have a wide ranging number of commitments. It is what it is. Its sobering if you actually look at the classes of our SEC East brethren.

Hopefully, he recruits better as the years go by. Right now is a tough spot for our University.

Reread my post. If you go by average star ranking we are next to last. That's really the only metric you can use right now considering the teams have a wide ranging number of commitments. It is what it is. Its sobering if you actually look at the classes of our SEC East brethren.

Hopefully, he recruits better as the years go by. Right now is a tough spot for our University.
Here’s the post from 247
With Floyd now in the boat, South Carolina has the No. 16-ranked recruiting class in the country, according to the 247Sports Composite. The Gamecocks began the day at No. 21. They have also moved up four spots and are now fifth among all teams in the SEC.

Here’s the post from 247
With Floyd now in the boat, South Carolina has the No. 16-ranked recruiting class in the country, according to the 247Sports Composite. The Gamecocks began the day at No. 21. They have also moved up four spots and are now fifth among all teams in the SEC.
Dude can you read...read it real slow...I said reread MY POST.

You literally have no clue. Its a fact. Our average star rating is only above Vandy. You obviously don't understand.
No, you don’t understand. 247 has us #16 in nation and #5 in SEC.
Guys, why can't you both admit you each are factually correct. That's the problem with these ranking services. They don't know what they are doing, they have no clue, and none of it makes any sense. I don't understand why so many of you get so wrapped up in this garbage.

The best thing to do if you want to know the quality of the recruit is do research on each guy - not from services- but other sources of information and determine for yourself whether the candidate is a quality player. Read what the coaches say, look at their measurables, watch some film, etc.

Guys, why can't you both admit you each are factually correct. That's the problem with these ranking services. They don't know what they are doing, they have no clue, and none of it makes any sense. I don't understand why so many of you get so wrapped up in this garbage.

The best thing to do if you want to know the quality of the recruit is do research on each guy - not from services- but other sources of information and determine for yourself whether the candidate is a quality player. Read what the coaches say, look at their measurables, watch some film, etc.
I think it’s safe to say we are coming at it from two points of view. I agree the aggregate ranking for all players signed is relevant ONLY when the class is completed. Trying to downplay our aggregate ranking when comparing apples to oranges is misleading.

And you’re more stubborn than a mule.
Just went and looked. We do look better on 247. We are ahead of Vandy, TN, Ole Miss and maybe Miss St on there.

Actually I posted about the average star rating and he said I was wrong. Go back and read it all. I never ever said we weren't 16th or 20th overall. I just think at this point and time average star rating is a more appropriate measure.

Just went and looked. We do look better on 247. We are ahead of Vandy, TN, Ole Miss and maybe Miss St on there.

Actually I posted about the average star rating and he said I was wrong. Go back and read it all. I never ever said we weren't 16th or 20th overall. I just think at this point and time average star rating is a more appropriate measure.
Nothing is important until the class is complete. Celebrate the young men that have decided to be gamecocks.

I get what you're saying, though I'm not in the argument between you two. But, I also have to look at the fact that we are coming off several bad years in a row, and then we get a new staff that hasn't been around to build relationships with recruits or show what the offense/defense will look like and can't jump into visits because of covid - means that we are way behind the 8 ball just out of the gate in every possible way. It's going to take time to get out of the hole. In a weird way, though, the shutdowns may help us with this class. Because these guys weren't able to go out to a million camps last year and show off their abilities, more guys will be under the radar coming in. For example, word is that when Horton visited clemtech, they were blown away by his athleticism. They already have their WR board mapped out, but what I hear is that they thought he was definitely worth an offer from them, they just don't have a spot to make the offer. The star rating for this year is going to be more off than ever before because of the limits covid placed on in person activities. I like the 5 stars as much as anybody, and will definitely be looking at that next year on. But I think that for this year, we have to look at the plus of so many of these guys missing camps and therefore less being know about them going in. I'll say this, alot of these guys got their offers from us after our staff saw them in person and got a feel of their abilities. I think you'll see more stars tacked on to many in this class later in the fall.

But you’re not comparing apples to apples.

What I'm saying is neither are any kind of measure of anything. It's all bogus BS. It's like arguing which pro wrestler is the best. It's all BS so it doesn't make a damn.

The problem is that one poster's fact is actually fair and equitable to all the colleges it's comparing, and that's the poster talking about the average star rating.

The other poster may be posting a "fact" but it's a fact that doesn't fairly compare colleges because it's depending on the number of kids who are committed to the school. So that latter ranking will change significantly as classes fill out. The former ranking won't be as volatile.

So the former is definitely the better way to compare classes right now.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
The problem is that one poster's fact is actually fair and equitable to all the colleges it's comparing, and that's the poster talking about the average star rating.

The other poster may be posting a "fact" but it's a fact that doesn't fairly compare colleges because it's depending on the number of kids who are committed to the school. So that latter ranking will change significantly as classes fill out. The former ranking won't be as volatile.

Its like talking to walls on here.

Reactions: uscwatson21

Not true. Just because a school starts out with a higher average rating doesn’t mean that will be maintained with every commitment thereafter. The point is either metric can and probably will change. You’re the one who stated our class would end up ranked close to Coastal Carolina, now that we are in the top 20 you want to change the measuring stick.

Not true. Just because a school starts out with a higher average rating doesn’t mean that will be maintained with every commitment thereafter. The point is either metric can and probably will change. You’re the one who stated our class would end up ranked close to Coastal Carolina, now that we are in the top 20 you want to change the measuring stick.
Shocker the troll is committing another logic fallacy with his last sentence.

No such thing, you threw in the troll comment because you know I am right. You’ve been called out by others on this forum regarding exactly what I posted.
Right about what? All you've done is troll and make up strawman arguments to argue against. You've provided nothing of substance.

I am not going to get in the middle of this, all I will say is I really like the momentum this staff has right now! We needed some positive news and the past few weeks have been great to see.
I don't know how predictive any of these recruiting arguments are, but just eyeballing our recruiting, it seems like we are getting some good players. Seems more positive than negative.

I don't know how predictive any of these recruiting arguments are, but just eyeballing our recruiting, it seems like we are getting some good players. Seems more positive than negative.
That’s what I have been sayin, but certain posters only see the negative. Why would someone disparage us for being in the top 20?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT