ADVERTISEMENT

USC elects Gen Robert Caslen as 29th President (Official Thread)

Can’t take them back. But we can accept the apology, understand they came from a place of anger in how their father was dragged through an embarrassing situation, and dogged on social media as well. We would do best to recognize that, accept his family, support them, and come alongside the president of this university for the best interest of this university.

We are a state (public school). If you don't want the limelight, don't apply for the job.

How much longer can I remain a middle age white dude? I miss being young at times but am grateful for what I know now, at some point I will be moved into the old guy category but I’m taking my golf game with me where ever possible.

You'll know you are old when you trip and fall and people stop laughing and rush to see if you are OK. Happened to me last year....

When the bag boy assumes you need help to the car and you just have one bag of groceries.

Kudos to USC brass for having the stones to give a giant middle finger to the whiners. In a day and age when universities instantly capitulate to whatever bizarre and logically indefensible demands are lobbed at them by students and faculty, it's nice to see our board just turn a deaf ear to them.

I think it was botched, I blame the Board, hiring a 65 year that retired a year ago from his most successful position, that isn't even fully qualified, seems like a stop gap, and why we would do that with this position is beyond me, vs get it right.

I'm a big Darla Moore Fan, as a human being and think she was right on the money again, it should have been reset.

I think its going to get a little darker around here

A bunch of old white dudes voted for a old white dude, we need to diversify the board.
Yes, Identity politics is what we need more of.

Yes, Identity politics is what we need more of.

Diversity alone does not guarantee success in any endeavor, however using diversity as your primary and only criterion will usually ensure failure.

The Caslen protestors created an impossible situation for many trustees on the Board (as well as the Governor) - as soon as I saw the actions of the few back in April, I knew Caslen was in. THINK! The politics from the lofty rich to the plant worker dictated where this thing was going to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
I agree that the BOT should be comprised of the best men or women who are qualified for the positions. Finding a diverse group of qualified individuals doesn't mean that you have to lower standards. It just means that you can't continue to look in the same country club, and will have to expand your search. I.E. actually make it a priority to diversify and fish in different ponds!

They key is what are the qualifications needed to make one the most qualified individual to determine the direction of our university. You can't tell me that a board comprised of a bunch of lawyers/want to be politicians, the governor, governor's designee, and governor's appointee provide a diverse perspective and are the most in tune with our professors, students, prospective students and alumni. Given the make up of our board, it is crystal clear why politics have continued to take precedence over the betterment of our university.

Regardless of the outcome, I think we all can agree that this situation was handled poorly from the governor using political influence to push for a candidate that he never met, to the BOT not following their own stated process, and lowering their standards to accept the same candidate that they passed on several months earlier. This entire situation was about one thing, and one thing only...Politics. Heck they even caught one of the board members on a hot mic...

"I feel lot of people those people that are demonstrating are from out of town,” the voice said over the speakers.” I've heard some of that Kamala Harris crowd is there. They got this thing all tied into the Democratic primary."

https://www.wistv.com/2019/07/19/board-trustees-member-caught-hot-mic-says-protesters-are-out-town/

What should have been a search for the best fit for our university turned into another display of our so called leaders wallowing in the political pig pen, and sadly our beloved University is the one caught in the middle. To think that the people concerned are from "out of town" and this is "all tied into the Democratic primary" shows the primary concern of the BOT and how out of tune they are.

As a proud Alumni, I hope for the sake of our university that Caslen succeeds. I also hope that the spotlight is squarely on the lack of diversity in the BOT, and our need to put better decision makers in place. As mentioned earlier we need qualified individuals that represent diverse ages, sexes, backgrounds, experiences, and ideals whose primary concern is the betterment of our university and its students. It will only make us stronger as a university moving forward.

list_trustees_mcmaster-official.jpg

Henry McMaster

Governor of South Carolina | The governor is the ex officio chair of the board and serves for the duration of his or her tenure as governor.

list_trustees_124_vonlehe2.jpg

John C. von Lehe Jr., Chairman
9th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Chairman, Executive Committee | ex officio member of all committees | Board member since 1998

list_trustees_124_mobley2.jpg

Hubert F. "Hugh" Mobley, Vice Chairman
6th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2016-2020 | Executive Committee | ex officio member of all committees | Board member since 2011

list_trustees_124_adams_2019.jpg

C. Dan Adams
Governor's designee | Academic Affairs and Faculty Liaison Committee | Buildings and Grounds Committee | Student and System Affairs Committee | Board member since 2018

list_trustees_124_chuck-allen2.jpg

Chuck Allen
10th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2016-2020 | Chair, Student and System Affairs Committee | Audit and Compliance Committee | Intercollegiate Athletics Committee | Board member since 2008

list_trustees_124_burroughs2.jpg

J. Egerton Burroughs
15th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2016-2020 | Audit and Compliance Committee | Buildings and Grounds Committee | Student and System Affairs Committee | Board member since 2008

list_trustees_124_fennell2.jpg

A.C. "Bubba" Fennell III
8th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2016-2020 | Chair, Health Affairs Committee | Academic Affairs and Faculty Liaison Committee | Student and System Affairs Committee | Board member 2000-2002; board member since 2012

list_trustees_124_edwards_floyd.jpg

C. Edward Floyd, M.D.
12th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Academic Affairs and Faculty Liaison Committee | Executive Committee | Health Affairs Committee | Board member since 1982; board chairman, 1992-1996

list_trustees_124_hubbard2.jpg

William C. Hubbard
5th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Chair, Buildings and Grounds Committee | Academic Affairs and Faculty Liaison Committee | Health Affairs Committee | Board member since 1986; board chairman, 1996-2000

list_trustees_124_jones_2019.jpg

Richard A. Jones Jr.
Governor's appointee | Academic Affairs and Faculty Liaison Committee | Health Affairs Committee | Student and System Affairs Committee | Board member since 2018

list_trustees_124_lister2.jpg

Toney J. Lister
7th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Buildings and Grounds Committee | Executive Committee | Intercollegiate Athletics Committee | Board member since 1994

list_trustees_124_loadholt2.jpg

Miles Loadholt
2nd Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2016-2020 | Buildings and Grounds Committee | Executive Committee | Intercollegiate Athletics Committee | Board member since 1996; board chairman, 2008-2012

list_trustees_124_moody2.jpg

Leah B. Moody
16th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2016-2020 | Chair, Academic Affairs and Faculty Liaison Committee | Buildings and Grounds Committee | Student and System Affairs Committee | Board member since 2009

list_trustees_newton_2018_rev.jpg

Rose Buyck Newton
14th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2020 | Chair, Audit and Compliance Committee | Academic Affairs and Faculty Liaison Committee | Student and System Affairs Committee | Board member since 2018

list_trustees_124_smithdorn2.jpg

C. Dorn Smith III, M.D.
3rd Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Audit and Compliance Committee | Student and System Affairs Committee | Health Affairs Committee | Board member since 2010

list_trustees_124_warr2.jpg

Eugene P. Warr Jr., Chairman Emeritus
4th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2016-2020 | Executive Committee | Intercollegiate Athletics Committee | Buildings and Grounds Committee | Board member since 2003; board chairman, 2012-2016

list_trustees_124_westbrook2.jpg

Thad H. Westbrook
11th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Audit and Compliance Committee | Buildings and Grounds Committee | Intercollegiate Athletics Committee | Board member since 2010

list_trustees_124_whittle_mack_2015.jpg

Mack I. Whittle Jr.
13th Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Chair, Intercollegiate Athletics Committee | Audit and Compliance Committee | Health Affairs Committee | Board member since 1990; board chairman, 2000-2004

list_trustees_124_williams_charles.jpg

Charles H. Williams
1st Judicial Circuit | Current term, 2018-2022 | Audit and Compliance Committee | Health Affairs Committee | Intercollegiate Athletics Committee | Board member since 2010

Please help me here because I am not exactly up on all of this. Here is what I am asking. The Board chose a President . Did they vote and elect him, or did the Gov. select him? Is there any reason to think he will not recommend qualified people when he is in office? Is there any reason to think him unqualified? If so, what are they?

Is there a reason diversity came up frequently? Is diversity the goal or is selecting the best people for the jobs? Not disputing your point but sometimes you have to chose between the two.

I guess I don’t see the reason for all the concern.

Reactions: TarCock29
The first and foremost job of a university president is to be a fundraiser/spokesman. Go out and gladhand the alumni and raise money.

Reactions: 67gamecock
The first and foremost job of a university president is to be a fundraiser/spokesman. Go out and gladhand the alumni and raise money.

. . ., history proves me correct, imo . . . . gladhand the legislature and be nice to the Governor . . . . . for the $$$, guys and gals, for the $$$.

Oh, I forgot. Really, really suck up to the donors. They love it and they've got money to burn. don't forget to name a classroom, building, plaza, etc. after them.

Last edited:
Please help me here because I am not exactly up on all of this. Here is what I am asking. The Board chose a President . Did they vote and elect him, or did the Gov. select him? Is there any reason to think he will not recommend qualified people when he is in office? Is there any reason to think him unqualified? If so, what are they?

Is there a reason diversity came up frequently? Is diversity the goal or is selecting the best people for the jobs? Not disputing your point but sometimes you have to chose between the two.

The BoT had reopened the process because (their words from the Friday meeting albeit paraphrased) they were unhappy with the firm they hired to present a list of candidates, they were unhappy with the candidates presented, and were listening to the complaints from the Faculty and students after the Candidate Forums on campus. They laid out a process to go through to select the President of the University in April when all this went down. Then, in the last couple weeks, upon urging from the Governor to hold a vote on Caslen only (not all the candidates, which if you're going to vote, why not vote on all 4 presented), the BoT completely abandoned the process they put in place because, basically, the Governor said so (again, their paraphrased words from Friday's meeting). They held the vote, and he was approved 11-8 with one abstain.

As for the diversity, it is an issue, not only with the candidate list, but also with the makeup of the BoT. It's not unreasonable to want a BoT and potential Presidential candidate list to more accurately reflect the makeup of the University, both Faculty, Staff and Students.

The biggest issue with qualifications is that he does not hold a PhD, which was a requirement for the job. However, we all know that people are hired everyday based on experience because it can outweigh degrees in a lot of cases. There is concern that his experience does not translate well to a tier 1 research university. I am concerned about this myself. However, I hope he surrounds himself with the right kind of advisors to make the transition as seamless as possible.

. . ., history proves me correct, imo . . . . gladhand the legislature and be nice to the Governor . . . . . for the $$$, guys and gals, for the $$$.

The challenge in this case is that those entities are looking for ways to trim USC's budget, so it will be interesting to see the degree to which Pres. Caslen actually 'glad hands' them and how successful he is at wooing donors in ways that benefit USC's operating budget through unrestricted donations. Provost Gabel was hired for a similar reason, and that was one of the stated reasons for hiring her at Minnesota.

Kudos to USC brass for having the stones to give a giant middle finger to the whiners. In a day and age when universities instantly capitulate to whatever bizarre and logically indefensible demands are lobbed at them by students and faculty, it's nice to see our board just turn a deaf ear to them.

Give us all an example of the specific concerns voiced by the USC Faculty Senate and the USC Student Government you term "bizarre and logically indefensible"?

The search firm presented a pool of 11 candidates. Not one female was in the group for a university where the student body is predominatly female. This group of 11 men was narrowed to a finalist list of 4 men. The board didnt choose this President. The politcal Governor of SC did. The same Gov who has never attended a board meeting since he was sworn in and admitted he has never even met Caslen. And some on the board (vote was close to evenly split) chose to bend to the Gov's strong-arm techniques. This reaks of political payback and the only reason some are going along with it is because it was actually polical influence from the side of politics they agree with. If this same thing happened with a Demcratic Governor those same folks would lost their minds.

I am not saying he is unqualified but there is plenty of evidence to cause concern. He doesnt meet the degreed qualifications listed by the university and has never led a research university of any size. Now the univesrity is in the cross-hairs of its vitally important regional accredication.

This is not about politics. It is about the independence of the unvisersity and the need for a BOT that is made up of folks that more accurately reflects the USC community. I hope this causes extreme pressure on the school to shake up the BOT. They did not have Carolina's best interest at the forefront in making this decision. Some desperately need to move on.

The board voted for Caslen, but only after the Governor contacted each representative and forced the vote. This went against the very process the BOT set forth as they did not have an opportunity to compare / contrast between a new group of finalist as stated. They may or may not have gotten the best candidate, we'll never know. Most people are not necessarily upset about Caslen, but more outraged of how this entire process went down. This now brings into question the strength of our board as well as their primary interest. I'll give some on the board credit as it was basically a split vote with the governor's appointee and representative being the deciding votes.

As for your question concerning diversity, the goal is selecting the best people for the job, however selecting the best people for the job as well as having diversity are not mutually exclusive. Some of my greatest learning opportunities I experienced during my time at Carolina came from diverse students/teachers. From being roommates with East Indian and Egyptian exchange students and learning about their history, backgrounds, and views to having open conversations about Christianity vs Islam vs Hinduism. Some of the best food I've had to this day was when my Indian roommate used to cook with his native seasonings and spices! Experiencing my first live rock shows at New Brookland Tavern, attending parties with Kappa Sigs. Meeting people from the North, South, East, and West. Being roommates with baseball players at the roost, and understanding their fascination with Dip, and getting sick the first time I tried it! Great times studying late night with my African American classmates in the business school just so that I could pass my ECON finals. All of these experiences definitely helped shape who I am today, and gives me an appreciation to understand that at the end of the day, we're all just people, and good people come in every size, shape, background and color!

The point is, having a qualified diverse group of men, women, ethnic groups, career backgrounds, etc...that more accurately reflects our student body make up helps limit group think, and will keep the direction of our University from becoming stale. As stated above, you do not have to lower standards in order to gain diversity. You just have to actively market, search, recruit different ponds than we are are currently used to. There are plenty of qualified individuals out there, and it is worth the effort to find them!

On a side note...Bill is being presented to shake up the board and question the governor's position on the BOT.

https://www.wistv.com/2019/07/22/changes-could-be-coming-board-trustees-sc-universities/

According to bylaws, the governor serves as the ex officio chair at the University of South Carolina. The governor holds the same role at the Medical University of South Carolina and South Carolina State University as well.

At every major public university in South Carolina, the governor serves in an ex officio member role on the Board of Trustees, except Clemson.

And we wonder why our friends in the upstate always seem to be shielded from these political fiascoes. smh

Last edited:
The BoT had reopened the process because (their words from the Friday meeting albeit paraphrased) they were unhappy with the firm they hired to present a list of candidates, they were unhappy with the candidates presented, and were listening to the complaints from the Faculty and students after the Candidate Forums on campus. They laid out a process to go through to select the President of the University in April when all this went down. Then, in the last couple weeks, upon urging from the Governor to hold a vote on Caslen only (not all the candidates, which if you're going to vote, why not vote on all 4 presented), the BoT completely abandoned the process they put in place because, basically, the Governor said so (again, their paraphrased words from Friday's meeting). They held the vote, and he was approved 11-8 with one abstain.

As for the diversity, it is an issue, not only with the candidate list, but also with the makeup of the BoT. It's not unreasonable to want a BoT and potential Presidential candidate list to more accurately reflect the makeup of the University, both Faculty, Staff and Students.

The biggest issue with qualifications is that he does not hold a PhD, which was a requirement for the job. However, we all know that people are hired everyday based on experience because it can outweigh degrees in a lot of cases. There is concern that his experience does not translate well to a tier 1 research university. I am concerned about this myself. However, I hope he surrounds himself with the right kind of advisors to make the transition as seamless as possible.
I appreciate how you articulated those sentiments.:)

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Is it true that he promised ice cream socials to every team that beats Clemson? Lol

He does realize he got selected as the president of a major university and not the principle of an elementary school, right?!

Reactions: Jpcooper
Is it true that he promised ice cream socials to every team that beats Clemson? Lol

He does realize he got selected as the president of a major university and not the principle of an elementary school, right?!

No, but he did hire a football coach at West Point that broke Army's 14 year drought against Navy. He also played center for Army when he was a student at West Point. The man has an impeccable background. I wouldn't underestimate him if I were you.

On FGF he's unqualified because his 2 Master's Degrees don't equal a PHD in epidemiology, which apparently qualifies you to handle the role of what is essentially the CEO of a university.

When he was at West Point, Forbes named the school the #1 public school, and U.S. News and World Reports named West Point the number 1 liberal arts school during his tenure. Like most people in the military he downplays his accomplishments. You'd never know on 9/11 this guy pulled people from the burning rubble of the Pentagon, directed and assisted in the rewiring of the building's A/C system to vent the smoke from the building, and set up the command and control to communicate with the White House . He was recently awarded the Theodore Roosevelt award, the highest honor the NCAA can confer on an individual.

Despite what WOFJRP said, it actually is true. It was simply an awkward attempt at connecting with people at a university that he doesn't know anything about made in a setting that is fairly foreign to him. I'd skip the snarky comment, though.

Despite what WOFJRP said, it actually is true. It was simply an awkward attempt at connecting with people at a university that he doesn't know anything about made in a setting that is fairly foreign to him. I'd skip the snarky comment, though.

Hey, I work for a large govt agency. We recently had an ice cream social offered as a reward for hitting certain benchmarks.

Last edited:

My god you're right. That bastard said he'd even have the debate team over to his HOUSE for an ice cream social if they beat Clemson. That's it, all of those other things I posted about him are out the window. I had no idea he was promising ice cream. SHAME!SHAME!SHAME!

No, but he did hire a football coach at West Point that broke Army's 14 year drought against Navy. He also played center for Army when he was a student at West Point. The man has an impeccable background. I wouldn't underestimate him if I were you.

On FGF he's unqualified because his 2 Master's Degrees don't equal a PHD in epidemiology, which apparently qualifies you to handle the role of what is essentially the CEO of a university.

When he was at West Point, Forbes named the school the #1 public school, and U.S. News and World Reports named West Point the number 1 liberal arts school during his tenure. Like most people in the military he downplays his accomplishments. You'd never know on 9/11 this guy pulled people from the burning rubble of the Pentagon, directed and assisted in the rewiring of the building's A/C system to vent the smoke from the building, and set up the command and control to communicate with the White House . He was recently awarded the Theodore Roosevelt award, the highest honor the NCAA can confer on an individual.

Wasn’t commenting on his credentials, accomplishments, or value as a human being. Thanks for all of that info though. I’m actually a fan of him from all I’ve heard outside this forum. All that to say, doesn’t mean I can’t have the opinion that some of his comments feel disconnected.

Wasn’t commenting on his credentials, accomplishments, or value as a human being. Thanks for all of that info though. I’m actually a fan of him from all I’ve heard outside this forum. All that to say, doesn’t mean I can’t have the opinion that some of his comments feel disconnected.

When he starts picking female ESPN sports commentators off the ground on national t.v. I'll start worrying.

Random, but ok? o_O

Not really I looked up the word "disconnected" and it had a picture of Dabo picking ESPN sideline reporter Jeanine Edwards off the ground after you guys beat LSU. It's listed as one of the top 10 creepiest moments in sports history. It's ranked right after Joe Namath asking a sideline reporter for a kiss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT