ADVERTISEMENT

We Should Have Stayed in the ACC

I hear you, brother. My mind is thinking the same as yours.

It used to be so different. So many devoted fans, win or lose. Eric Hyman ran them away when he implemented the seat license and increased the ticket prices. I understand completely why he did it, and know that it was necessary to bring our facilities up to date. But, we still pushed out a lot of good people as we embraced the dollar. Progress.
That is precisely when I left the GCC after going through the Fat Brad and Holtz years. I’ve been to 2 games since (‘11 & ‘14). They had the SEC checks and didn’t need my money, and still don’t.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. We can spend all day discussing if we should have gotten out of the ACC or not but it isn't going to change the fact we did. We need to direct that energy in a positive way to improve our situation.
Thank GOD the SEC invited us....No I don't want to go back to the ACC...what I would like is for the SEC to add NCSU and Virginia Tech if that were possible....

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The only team that we had a winning record against in the ACC was Wake Forrest. Those are facts.
Dominated them with Grantz according to every old timer I talked to. We seemed to be content with mediocrity in the 40s and 50s since we kept Enright, but we were growing in the 60s and 70s and couldn't capitalize for reasons I listed.

4 pods at 16 members is enough.
I can dig that...my wish to have NCSU and VT would be we the SEC could penetrate the Triangle along with Tidewater and DC areas...From DC to Texas would be HUGE!!!! It would certainly force the ACC's hand...The SEC loaded up with State Flagship and Land Grant Universities...The ACC added private schools in the Northeast and Miami...how's that working out for them?

The ACC only reacts to the genius of the SEC...They were fools for not jumping first to try to get us in the ACC...I think the ACC missed out when they did not invite WVU instead of Syracuse or BC...

The Benefits of joining the SEC. Assured me of never see us winning a Conference Championship in my lifetime. If Holtz and Spurrier can only combine for one SEC Championship game which led to the biggest blow out in the game's history. We are never going to win a Conference Championship in football. SEC money hasn't helped us out recruit Clemson. SEC money hasn't equaled major bowl games or Conference Championships.

Agree with that. But, I personally have no doubt we will have a seat at the table, as long as we bring something to the table, which we do.
WBB will not get us into anything. Its so idiotic of our fans to be so clueless. Men's BB can't get Kansas, Duke or Kentucky into a super conference. Why would WBB?

But do you run next door to 10 goons with 9mms and baseball bats ready to beat your arse?
We were an independent for years in football before the SEC came calling! You guys want to be known as the dumbest program in CFB history, saying no to the SEC, now that would have really beenstupid!

Last edited:
WBB will not get us into anything. Its so idiotic of our fans to be so clueless. Men's BB can't get Kansas, Duke or Kentucky into a super conference. Why would WBB?
UNC football is bad....their brand was built on men's basketball and some of the Olympic Sports, field hockey...Football alone will not get a team into a super conference....if it did, Clemson would be in the SEC NOW....

Clemson was supposed to go out with us. I heard it was a gentleman's agreement. Its on our officials at the time for not getting it in writing.

Does the money we're raking in really make a difference in the end for our programs?

Sure, we have better facilities, etc, but our men's programs aren't any better or competitive.

The football team is never ever going to win the SEC. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Wow. Have you ever posted anything positive? Ever?

Your title may have some interesting arguments and support but never ever arguments are juvenile.

Just don't worry about it at this point. As someone else said, it's been over 50 years ago. So let's forget about what we should have done and move forward. My God, to bring up things we should have done 50 years ago is ridiculous and very unproductive.
Dead on concept right there now!! Heck, I'm 54, but if my Mom woulda been on the pill in September of 1966, or if Dad woulda worn a "strap on", then I for damned sure would either not be here now or at least 10 years younger!! 😎😉😇

Now that the Lady Vols have fallen from the top of the sport someone has to carry the women's basketball banner for the SEC and South Carolina does that very well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT