ADVERTISEMENT

We sold our soul for two baseball championships

Sep 15, 2016
If Ray doesn’t win those two championships, he never strong arms his way into the AD role. We hire another CEO-type like Hyman after he leaves for A&M. Spurrier gets to leave on his terms, and we hire a proven head coach because we are a desirable job after finishing #4 in the country and a roster still full of talent. Instead, Spurrier checks out on the job for a couple of years, we hire a Florida cast off and hang on several years too long, and now we have the Beamer Bust. There you have it folks, this all started with what felt like the best thing to ever happen to our athletic department. Instead, it marked the beginning of our downfall.

If Ray doesn’t win those two championships, he never strong arms his way into the AD role. We hire another CEO-type like Hyman after he leaves for A&M. Spurrier gets to leave on his terms, and we hire a proven head coach because we are a desirable job after finishing #4 in the country and a roster still full of talent. Instead, Spurrier checks out on the job for a couple of years, we hire a Florida cast off and hang on several years too long, and now we have the Beamer Bust. There you have it folks, this all started with what felt like the best thing to ever happen to our athletic department. Instead, it marked the beginning of our downfall.
I very much feel this way as well. You’re correct.

Great Scott! Where are we going to get the 1.21 Gigawatts needed to go back and stop Ray from winning the CWS?

100% right. 2 stinkin baseball trophies set this stage. Hope it was worth it for all the baseball fans (I personally find the sport boring af)

Hyman warned us. He had already rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He had already made a TON of positive changes, and is instrumental for our DEPARTMENT WIDE athletic success back then. As an aside, I don’t think he was worried about kissing the Good Ole Boy a$$, but he made them open their checkbooks, and to some extent I don’t think Spurrier was ever worried about kissing it either, and I still believe they (powers that be) got more “involved” as we were killing it on the field, and helped hasten his departure because he didn’t need to deal with it. Will never prove it, but I’ll believe it until the day I die.

I’m sure they’re happy right now. Ray, and a zero experience HBC (with no leverage) are a busybody BOT’s dream.

100% right. 2 stinkin baseball trophies set this stage. Hope it was worth it for all the baseball fans (I personally find the sport boring af)
Seeing has how the football program has rarely been a national factor, yes, two baseball titles were very enjoyable and "worth it." There's no reason to believe a different person as AD would translate to the football relevance we all desire.

When Ray retired I honestly hope we go after an AD that has a history of managing successful football programs. I’d be willing to sell our souls in all other sports for a winning football program.

Take a tour of our athletic facilities which were way behind the rest of the SEC and much of the ACC when he took over. Then spend some time in the athletic department to observe all the job entails and how he deals with it.

so the original sin marketing my soul was the beginning of our downfall?
prior to that what or where was it we were supposed to fall down?
before that we were the running joke as the school with one national title....in womens track......
my soul is not up for grabs & i am glad we won the two national titles...

Take a tour of our athletic facilities which were way behind the rest of the SEC and much of the ACC when he took over. Then spend some time in the athletic department to observe all the job entails and how he deals with it.
Only facilities I’ve ever toured were the football ones and that was only after they were new. Oh and equestrian, I’ve toured those. I wish they’d offer tours of other facilities because it might help people donate more.

Reactions: rogue cock
You are correct sir. Managing an AD program takes more than just being a jock who can manage a dugout.

How long will Ray stay AD before he retires??? It’s obvious he won’t be fired or forced out. Ray as our AD is straight out of the Gil Thorpe comic strip where he coaches everything. Is it true he had no interest in Lincoln Riley?

Was the AD job part of getting him to leave NC State? I don't remember the details of that. I would never give up a NC, but we sure are gun shy with an obvious program weakness.

How do you know that RT strong-armed his way into the AD role?

Most on here seem to believe having a good AD is paramount to having a good football team. Well, we have had some pretty sorry AD'S over the history based on that thinking.
Sick and tired of reading AD is the problem. Give Beamer a chance to di what is right.

so the original sin marketing my soul was the beginning of our downfall?
prior to that what or where was it we were supposed to fall down?
before that we were the running joke as the school with one national title....in womens track......
my soul is not up for grabs & i am glad we won the two national titles...
Where have you been? Only on the pay site? How are things?

Beamer is a cheaper Derrick Dooley.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
How do you know that RT strong-armed his way into the AD role?

I think threatening to leave if not given the job is pretty much the definition of strong arming in that situation. He had leverage (two NC's) and used it.

Categorically false.

Like rogue cock stated, RT was done coaching, i.e., he was not threatening to leave; he was out the door.

Many probably figured he would end up as AD at a smaller school, e.g., College of Charleston, Newberry, Coastal, Francis Marion, Winthrop, etc.

Reactions: rogue cock
Not only is this post ridiculous, it is chock full of inaccuracies.

Most on here seem to believe having a good AD is paramount to having a good football team. Well, we have had some pretty sorry AD'S over the history based on that thinking.
Sick and tired of reading AD is the problem. Give Beamer a chance to di what is right.
What else do you need to see? I don’t understand why we wouldn’t want to collectively demand excellence from our athletic teams. We are a hugely profitable athletics program with facilities, resources, and fan support. To me, it only seems logical to demand more than we have been delivered. Accountability is a real thing. This ultimately falls on the AD > University President > Board of Trustees. Let’s do better.

Was the AD job part of getting him to leave NC State? I don't remember the details of that. I would never give up a NC, but we sure are gun shy with an obvious program weakness.
Absolutely nothing to do with it. He left NC State because they reneged on a decision to build a new baseball park.

I think threatening to leave if not given the job is pretty much the definition of strong arming in that situation. He had leverage (two NC's) and used it.
Never happened. He said he was not going to coach beyond the 2013 season. That was it. Stop making stuff up.

Never happened. He said he was not going to coach beyond the 2013 season. That was it. Stop making stuff up.
So you think he would have been hired as a no previous experience AD without the national championships? Leverage is leverage.

There's just too much conjecture involved in this hypothetical to say, with any amount of confidence, that things would have gone radically differently without our baseball titles. I, for one, am extremely happy we won them, even though football has my heart. Those were a couple great years for our community, so this strikes me as a bizarre take.

The heart of the matter here is that USC's administration is a good ol' boy network that constantly indulges in nepotism and favoritism. Happened before Tanner and will continue happening into perpetuity, unless there's ever an actual culture change around here. I'm not holding my breath, sadly.

Burden is on you to demonstrate how it is “chock full” of inaccuracies. Enlighten me.
1) Tanner only said he was not coaching after the 2013 season. He never strong-armed his way or threatened anything. He went to Pastides and asked to be considered when he heard Hyman was leaving. This was well documented at time.

2) Spurrier did leave on his own terms. The only request that was made was that he not leave after the Missouri game in 2015 because the university was closed due to the flood and student deaths. They asked him to not leave until after the LSU game and he agreed under the circumstances.

3) The only other "point" you made is calling Beamer a bust which is typical, but ridiculous, considering he hasn't been here a year.

So you think he would have been hired as a no previous experience AD without the national championships? Leverage is leverage.
Considering he planned and implemented the building and development of Founder's Park, I hardly consider him to be without experience. Having said that I assume Pastides wanted him for reasons that haven't been publicized.

Burden is on you to demonstrate how it is “chock full” of inaccuracies. Enlighten me.
No. Burden is on you to show proof. RT had previously stated that 2013 would be his last year in the dugout. Period. No threats. Had Hyman not left when he did, and RT coached in 2013, then left USC (which he would have done) , you could then ask the question of "would the new AD have promoted Holbrook to Head Baseball Coach?" RT would certainly have recommended this on his way out the door..

What if SOS had "threatened to leave" if we didn't offer him the AD position? We would have accepted his resignation and wished him the best going forward.

Before I left Columbia for Atlanta in August, 1989, I was working as a contractor doing PC support for the USC Housing Office (dorms, etc.). I had already begun interviewing in Atlanta when a perm position opened up at the Housing Office. I figured I might as well interview for the position since I was presently there. I didn't get the job, but the analogy is similar to RT's 23 years later, i.e., I was leaving my current position regardless.

Last edited:
He had such little interest that he came all the way out here to interview for the job. Tanner is the one who had little interest in hiring him. Please stop with the inaccuracies.
First, he did not come here to be interviewed. Second, it was made clear that he would not remain here if a certain other position became available. He was never a serious candidate. It was all on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT