ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first time you attended a Gamecock Football game at WB or Carolina Stadium?

1969. It was a driving rain in the rooster booster seats.
Was that the overhang structure that was on top of the east stands located at the 50 yard line? I am not sure if it is in this picture, but it looks like something is on top of the east stands.

4c36ed2b07803a064985eada9a7cd093d5cd5aee.jpg

Reactions: SCexpat38 and F-86F
Don't remember the specific game but I was 14. 1984. My dad took me and we had end zone seats and Ellis threw a bomb to Sterling and he caught it right in front of us. I was hooked. Needless to say I wish my dad would have never subjected me to years of future heartbreak and despair. 😫
I remember that Alan Mitchell throwing that pass in the season home opener against The Citadel but i am not sure who caught the pass. It was either Sharpe or Ira Hillary that caught the pass. Anyway that put South Carolina ahead to win the game 31-24.

Reactions: SCexpat38 and F-86F
I guess the mid 60's. Sat in the knot hole seats in endzone on like row 2. My brother, my sister, and I sat together. I remember Sunday afternoons, we would cut up the newspapers and take baggies of confetti to throw after scores. I believe our parents sat up in the new addition and only had 2 tickets at the time. Then my brother went to USC and my parents were able to get 2 more tickets for us. I remember watching Tommy Suggs, Freddie Zeigler, Warren Muir, and John Leheup. It was exciting.

At 77. my memory is a little vague, but my first game was in '54 or '55.
My Dad was a staunch fan and his nickname in Great Falls was " Gamecock
Charlie. We played Wake Forest.
And a few years after that he was taking your brother and me to games

Reactions: SCexpat38
My Birthday October 4 1986.
Nebraska 27 USC 24
1 of those famous Todd Ellis INTs late in the game.
I was there. Carolina was all over the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in the country. Leading. Backed Nebraska up to their 3 yard line. The crowd was going crazy. I was in the end zone and Nebraska huddled up only twenty five feet from where I was sitting. Some of the Nebraska linemen looked around the stadium and started waving their arms up, as in bring it on! I thought they had lost their minds, being behind, undefeated I believe, and all the fans going nuts. What did I know. They handed the ball off and ran 95 yards to the other goal line. Carolina had the toughest schedule in the country that year. Top3 Nebraska, Miami, Georgia was highly ranked, Clemson was highly ranked and LSU was also

I do this thread every year when the baseball season is over.

The first game I attended was 1971, which it just occurred to me it's been 50 years ago this upcoming season. It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. I rode down from Greenville with a friend of mine that has passed away a number of years ago. After we got into our seats I just remember looking around and saying to myself "this is the prettiest stadium I've ever seen".

Dickie Harris was one of the, if not the biggest star of the team. If I remember correctly he lead the nation in yards per punt returns and maybe interceptions.

When was your first game at WB or Carolina Stadium?

EDIT: The game I'm referring to above was played against Maryland and while I can't remember the exact score the Gamecocks won handily.
My parents started taking me in the mid 60's. I also attended the freshman games that were held on Thursdays.

The first game I attended was 1971, which it just occurred to me it's been 50 years ago this upcoming season. It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. I rode down from Greenville with a friend of mine that has passed away a number of years ago. After we got into our seats I just remember looking around and saying to myself "this is the prettiest stadium I've ever seen".

Dickie Harris was one of the, if not the biggest star of the team. If I remember correctly he lead the nation in yards per punt returns and maybe interceptions.

EDIT: The game I'm referring to above was played against Maryland and while I can't remember the exact score the Gamecocks won handily.
Oh, some how I read when was the last time you attended a game at WB.

Last time: Clemson game 2019.. I went to a friend's funeral at kick off and came to the 2nd half the game to catch another funeral.

First time in the 60's when I was about 5 or 6 when Paul Dietzel was the coach and some of the Carolina players were wearing Black Helmets...

1963. Played Tulane. Believe it was the weekend prior to the JFK assassination.
Just for verification, the Tulane game in 63 was played on November second. The assassination of JFK was on November 22.

Oh, some how I read when was the last time you attended a game at WB.

Last time: Clemson game 2019.. I went to a friend's funeral at kick off and came to the 2nd half the game to catch another funeral.

First time in the 60's when I was about 5 or 6 when Paul Dietzel was the coach and some of the Carolina players were wearing Black Helmets...
Seniors wore black helmets for their last time to suit up for Carolina when Dietzel was coach.

I remember that Alan Mitchell throwing that pass in the season home opener against The Citadel but i am not sure who caught the pass. It was either Sharpe or Ira Hillary that caught the pass. Anyway that put South Carolina ahead to win the game 31-24.
With just over one minute left in the game running back Quinton Lewis threw a forty yard TD strike to Chris Wade in the end zone for the winning score, 31-24.

So the team would really be wearing two different helmet colors during the game? Any pictures of this?
I don’t have any pictures of it but I’m sure many photos exists. It was a well known tradition at the time.

Duke - 1968 - sat in the student section as a freshman.
That was my first game as well, although I was a freshman in high school. Duke had a hot shot qb - Leo Hart? I don't remember for sure but I think we lost that game. Years later, probably 7-8, Warren Muir came up to me at a bar in Columbia the band I was in was working to tell me he liked my playing. I was star truck and babbled like a school girl. He seemed surprised I recognized him.

Probably 1958 or 59. Don't remember a time when I didn't get to go to a game or two every year.

That was my first game as well, although I was a freshman in high school. Duke had a hot shot qb - Leo Hart? I don't remember for sure but I think we lost that game. Years later, probably 7-8, Warren Muir came up to me at a bar in Columbia the band I was in was working to tell me he liked my playing. I was star truck and babbled like a school girl. He seemed surprised I recognized him.
We did lose the game. Suggs was QB.

Was that the overhang structure that was on top of the east stands located at the 50 yard line? I am not sure if it is in this picture, but it looks like something is on top of the east stands.

4c36ed2b07803a064985eada9a7cd093d5cd5aee.jpg
We sat in the end zone. As I recall, the upper deck was in place on the home (east) side.

I'm pretty sure those end zone seats were called rooster booster...but it could have been the tickets. I mainly recall the name and where we sat.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a close game, Duke 14 Carolina 7.
Team went 4-6 and lost several very winnable games. Had seven or eight win potential. Beat UPC that year. Great win at UNC coming from way behind. The most hurting loss was the 21-20 loss to Georgia after we had jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Thomas Ray from Columbia's Eau Claire High School came in for the second half to lead them to victory. Wrenching.

At 77. my memory is a little vague, but my first game was in '54 or '55.
My Dad was a staunch fan and his nickname in Great Falls was " Gamecock
Charlie. We played Wake Forest.
I don't want to get off on a tangent, but I wish I could again see Great Falls the way it was when I was a small boy and my Mom taught at the high school there.

First game was in 1990, but I can't remember the opponent. I thought WBS was the best place in the world. We won that game and every game I attended until 2015. Granted I didn't go to many. I started thinking I was a good luck charm.....that changed against UGA in 2015 in Sanford Stadium. Worst time I've ever had attending a game and we watched every play.

1980 vs. Wichita St. We won 73-0. We got there late and didn't get to our seats until the timeout between the 1st and 2nd quarter. As a result, we only got to see Big George carry the ball 2 times, and both carries went for TD's.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Sept 1971 as a frosh. You forgot to mention Harris played both ways too.

Reactions: 81 Alumnus
Must have been 54 or 55, my brother took me to the game and we watched Alex Hawkins and King Dixon run all over Clemson. I was just a kid but I knew King before as I had seen him run for a touchdown against my Clinton team in Laurens the year or so before.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT