ADVERTISEMENT

Who else is pumped about fishing?

Man this latest cold front totally jacked up my bite . I had em dialed in but the front has them all over the place .
I've seen two reports from guides, one from Rodman Reservoir and one from Fellsmere of 12 lb plus bass. One guy had a 10 and 12 same day. He said the day started off 38 degrees.

I grew up bass fishing, but moving to Charleston took me to a whole new realm of fishing. Nothing like fighting a Redfish or Gator Trout. Not to mention Mahi Mahi, Grouper, Red Snapper, Wahoo and the like. Now Bass fishing seems dull.

Reactions: Judson1
Just got a shot in my wrist for bone spurs I'm down for a week or so. Might have to use a spinning rod. I hate a spinning rod!

I grew up bass fishing, but moving to Charleston took me to a whole new realm of fishing. Nothing like fighting a Redfish or Gator Trout. Not to mention Mahi Mahi, Grouper, Red Snapper, Wahoo and the like. Now Bass fishing seems dull.

What’s funny is I’m just the opposite . I’ve been inshore fishing pretty much my entire life but when I just want to go play fish it’s usually bass fishing . I guess all the hours in the charter business when I was younger burned me out a bit . Don’t get me wrong I still love a great inshore bite but bassin really gets me jacked . Bassin’ and pompano are my favorites . I guess the great thing about bass fishing in Florida is you can do it pretty much 12 months out of the year . The Pompano run is usually only a month so it’s a short window .

Reactions: The Doctors Back
I've seen two reports from guides, one from Rodman Reservoir and one from Fellsmere of 12 lb plus bass. One guy had a 10 and 12 same day. He said the day started off 38 degrees.

Wow that insane . I think what jacked our bite up was a lot of fish were pre spawning moving into the shallows and the. 30 degrees happened !! That throws them for a loop down here . You can still get a few but it’s definitely tougher .

Not bass fishing but I go to Costa Rica every year. Inshore and offshore are unbelievable. May try Columbia soon. I hear they slay YFT on top water poppers there.

Reactions: 1vagamecock
Not bass fishing but I go to Costa Rica every year. Inshore and offshore are unbelievable. May try Columbia soon. I hear they slay YFT on top water poppers there.

Dude that’s one of my bucket list trips . I have a buddy who goes down there every year and chases river tarpon in the kayaks . He’s landed several 100+ . Costa Rica has it all .

Reactions: 1vagamecock
Snowed here today and I don't fish much on Sunday, but looking forward to it warming up.

March looks great for trout fishing....NC mountains...beautiful locations...favorite spot is upper Nantahala in Macon County...trout are active in 50 degree water...
I love trout! I always enjoyed going to Brasstown and the Hell Hole, just outside of Westminster. We’ve had good luck with trout in both places. We used to catch a few in the Savannah River below Hartwell Dam. Haven’t trout fished there in many years.

I love trout! I always enjoyed going to Brasstown and the Hell Hole, just outside of Westminster. We’ve had good luck with trout in both places. We used to catch a few in the Savannah River below Hartwell Dam. Haven’t trout fished there in many years.

I always wondered, prior to the creation of Lake Russell, if it was possible to navigate from Clark Hill to the back of Hartwell. Guess it would have to be an old timer to answer that. And back then I don’t think people were in the habit of driving 20-30 miles in a boat.

I always wondered, prior to the creation of Lake Russell, if it was possible to navigate from Clark Hill to the back of Hartwell. Guess it would have to be an old timer to answer that. And back then I don’t think people were in the habit of driving 20-30 miles in a boat.
That’s a good question. I’m not sure if it was possible or not. I used to work in Greenwood, and a few of those guys had jet prop boats they used to get up the Saluda River to get close to the discharge of Buzzards Roost to fish for stripers.

March looks great for trout fishing....NC mountains...beautiful locations...favorite spot is upper Nantahala in Macon County...trout are active in 50 degree water...

I’m gonna be vacationing just North of Asheville the end of August . Any suggestion . Would love to do some trout fishing . That’s something I’ve never done .

I’m gonna be vacationing just North of Asheville the end of August . Any suggestion . Would love to do some trout fishing . That’s something I’ve never done .
There are trout in most streams up there. We caught some in Pigeon River and Johnathan's creek my last time up there.

There are trout in most streams up there. We caught some in Pigeon River and Johnathan's creek my last time up there.

Awesome . I’ve caught 100lb tarpon and Yellowfins but I would be just as tickled to catch a 10 inch trout in crystal clear cold water . Never done it . I’m a sight fishing nut so I would be absolutely stoked to catch just one

Was fishing with my son last year in Lake Moultrie, back in Russellville. He was throwing a spinnerbait, I was swimming a Rage Craw. He hooked one about 5 on the spinnerbait, fish swam towards my line. I was reeling in to get out of his way, felt a thump, set the hook. We both reeled in the same fish, it had bit my Rage Craw. He'd popped his spinnerbait out of his jaw before he realized we'd both hooked the same fish, should've got a pic.
Wow, I can say I have done that with Spottails and with multiple offshore fish but never with a largemouth. Have also caught the same striper on a slackline and on a drop line around 24ft deep. Crazy ow fish will actually feed when they are hungry then you also realize how good they can actually see in water.

Anyone have any advice on mapping cards? About to purchase one for my bow unit. Navionics or the Lowrance C map precision contour?
I’m mainly fishing SC lakes so the C map has that version available.

Anyone have any advice on mapping cards? About to purchase one for my bow unit. Navionics or the Lowrance C map precision contour?
I’m mainly fishing SC lakes so the C map has that version available.
Not familiar with the Lowrance C .
I have navionics now and I've had lake maps (hummingbird) in the past. If Lowrance is exclusive to Lowrance I would go with navionics. I believe they can all be upgraded now.

I went on the spur of the moment yesterday afternoon. I caught two on back to back casts with a Cotton Cordell Spot reeled so slowly it was basically dragging bottom in deeper water. The second bass was 3 lbs and had a shiner tail sticking out of its throat and a full gut.

Last edited:
I was just told yesterday the bass are in 3' and less right this moment. Extremely well known guide and friend. Going this week. Big bass and good numbers

Reactions: TheReelEss
I went on the spur of the moment yesterday afternoon. I caught two on back to back casts with a Cotton Cordell Spot reeled so slowly it was basically dragging bottom in deeper water. The second bass was 3 lbs and had a shiner tail sticking out of its throat and a full gut.

Went up to the lake place and whilegoing through the shed I found another tackle box the previous owner left (he left all his fishing stuff in the sale). Found a CC spot that is an awesome brown/red color. Can’t wait to upgrade the hooks to see what it’s got. I also threw the new Strike king Hybrid Hunter Jr a few times to check the action. Not bad!

Went up to the lake place and whilegoing through the shed I found another tackle box the previous owner left (he left all his fishing stuff in the sale). Found a CC spot that is an awesome brown/red color. Can’t wait to upgrade the hooks to see what it’s got. I also threw the new Strike king Hybrid Hunter Jr a few times to check the action. Not bad!
I have a box full of Rat L Traps, but for some reason the Spot outfishes them 2-1. And they only seem to want gold at this reservoir. I went back today and caught two bass and a big ol' crappie. The crappie bit the gold Spot.

Go on EBay and order the 3.5 inch Vudu Mullet by Egret baits . My personal favorite color is croaker . It’s a speckled trout/ Redfish lure so it may be hard to find at local shops . It’s an absolute shallow water killer . They absolutely smash it . It’s a soft plastic segmented swimbait . I’ve been using it on private charters and it’s been a game changer . The only reason I’m telling you guys is because I know y’all aren’t in my Zip Code Haha . Trust me , try them out anywhere you would fish a spinner bait or shallow water lipless crank bait Two suggestions :

1. Change out the hooks with #4 gamakastu trebles
2. Don’t store with your other soft plastics because they will melt , kinda like the Zman stuff

It’s a killer and the fish in SC have probably never seen them

Glad yall are having luck. Up here in S.W. Virginia the water is between 39°and 42° the shad are dying off and are 20' deep I'm having trouble because the bass are either really deep or suspended deep.

I bought a new kayak last week. After a week of mostly good temps I took the maiden cruise today. I caught three and lost one. Among the 3 was a 7.5 pounder. I tossed a Texas rigged craw to a log and the bait never hit bottom. The fish wrapped me around the log. I reeled them both up. Luckily, it was my frog combo (X Hvy-X Fast with 50 lb braided line). The water was so muddy, I think I hit every one of those fish in the head with the bait.

I bought a new kayak last week. After a week of mostly good temps I took the maiden cruise today. I caught three and lost one. Among the 3 was a 7.5 pounder. I tossed a Texas rigged craw to a log and the bait never hit bottom. The fish wrapped me around the log. I reeled them both up. Luckily, it was my frog combo (X Hvy-X Fast with 50 lb braided line). The water was so muddy, I think I hit every one of those fish in the head with the bait.
Good job. I fished a 8 hour tournament today up here in Virginia today water temp was 44. I got 0 bites, it's been awful in Virginia this year.

Good job. I fished a 8 hour tournament today up here in Virginia today water temp was 44. I got 0 bites, it's been awful in Virginia this year.
It has been uncharacteristically good here this winter. I haven't been skunked once. I mean, three fish is not exactly slaying them. But I've gone many times in winter when 1 bite would have been nice. They just seem ready to get it on this year. I also noticed a little pollen on the water. It's early for that, even in SC. I take these as signs spring's coming early.

About to bust loose. Bought another boat last October and can’t wait for this spring.
I fish throughout the winter in my club but something about the start of a new year. And club year, that gets you going.
Finished 3rd last year but am In 2nd after the first two tourneys this year (Dec/Jan).
Nothing like walking r fine beaches......looking for tuna:)

Won my club yesterday. Only had 12.70 but won by over two pounds.
Had a good morning bite. Left the launch at 630. Drove for three miles and had a fish in the boat at 636. On the first cast. Limit at 730. At 9 I went looking for a big fish but it never happened. Water temps 51-55.

Won my club yesterday. Only had 12.70 but won by over two pounds.
Had a good morning bite. Left the launch at 630. Drove for three miles and had a fish in the boat at 636. On the first cast. Limit at 730. At 9 I went looking for a big fish but it never happened. Water temps 51-55.
That's getting there.

What kind of boat did you get ?? Is it a pedal drive ?? I went yesterday morning and threw the frog for a few hours and caught a few dinks . Saw a swirl on the bank and made a cast and got a massive blowup . Looked like a absolute monster . I was stoked but something didn’t feel right .... three foot baby gator . Needless to say I didn’t get my frog back .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT