ADVERTISEMENT

0-18 From Three

BTMGarnet

Jan 31, 2007
I know it’s only one game but we won’t win many shooting like this. On the bright side, Keyshawn Bryant looks for real.

Start Bryant.
Quit shooting the 3 ball if it doesn’t improve soon. Wasn’t much better against Augusta but that was just a practice game.

Reactions: BTMGarnet
If the worse part of our game in the first game of the season is shooting threes, I'd be ok with that. I think we'll be fine.

If the worse part of our game in the first game of the season is shooting threes, I'd be ok with that. I think we'll be fine.

No were not. We are a bottom barrel SEC team this season. A team will pack it in and force us to shoot. Teams will be a lot more athletic than Upstate.

We need to beat all the cupcakes and catch a few breaks for the NIT. We are not an NCAA team. Got no problem eating crow if it’s wrong. It won’t be. In fact I really don’t think we will make the NIT

The announcers said TJ Moss is a really good 3 point shooter.

Start Bryant.
Quit shooting the 3 ball if it doesn’t improve soon. Wasn’t much better against Augusta but that was just a practice game.

Have to keep shooting if your primary action or secondary action is giving you a > 4 feet close out shot. If you don’t shoot those looks, the defense compresses and makes for defecto double teams in the post, clogged passing lanes and crowded drive lanes. Missing a bunch of open 3s is better for the offense than not taking them at all.

Yeah we aren't going to be +27 in the free throws attempted many nights, but I doubt we shot 32% from the field and 0% from 3. I will wait until a few conference games before judgement. On a positive note Ky and FL looked awful last night.

Well according to Frank if the fans knew anything about basketball than they would undetstand what he is trying to do. Its way over our heads what he has planned for our team, we cant even comprehend it. 0-18 is childs play. I bet we can miss more than that at some point this year.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Yeah we aren't going to be +27 in the free throws attempted many nights, but I doubt we shot 32% from the field and 0% from 3. I will wait until a few conference games before judgement. On a positive note Ky and FL looked awful last night.

Kentucky played Duke. Florida played a pretty good FSU team. We played Upstate.

No were not. We are a bottom barrel SEC team this season. A team will pack it in and force us to shoot. Teams will be a lot more athletic than Upstate.

We need to beat all the cupcakes and catch a few breaks for the NIT. We are not an NCAA team. Got no problem eating crow if it’s wrong. It won’t be. In fact I really don’t think we will make the NIT
what I'm saying is not hitting shots in the first game of the season is a far better problem to have than a defensive or rebounding or inside presence or just about any other carigory I can think of. Personally, I'm gonna hold judgment on how we shoot until we get more games under our belt. Even the best teams can have a cold shooting night. Doesn't mean they'll continue being cold. It's a long season

Reactions: SCexpat38
what I'm saying is not hitting shots in the first game of the season is a far better problem to have than a defensive or rebounding or inside presence or just about any other carigory I can think of. Personally, I'm gonna hold judgment on how we shoot until we get more games under our belt. Even the best teams can have a cold shooting night. Doesn't mean they'll continue being cold. It's a long season

Really? You might want to rethink your position because you cant win a game without the ball going through the hoop. You can have 100 rebounds and no points but thats progress to you?

Really? You might want to rethink your position because you cant win a game without the ball going through the hoop. You can have 100 rebounds and no points but thats progress to you?
every basketball team I've ever been a part of and I would extend to every team my kids have been a part of a spends a majority of their practices defending and getting shots. Making shots come after that because they make them or they don't and you can work on that later. Do you honestly think we're a power 5 school that recruits guys that can't shoot? I'll give you this, a lot of you guys are way better analysts than me to be able to foresee what you do after game one.

Last edited:
I wish we'd run 100 mph full court press basketball like Nolan Richardson's old 40 minutes of hell. Don't give up an inch of the court.

There was a girls high school hoops coach down in Georgia at Hepzibah, can't remember his name but he won state championships back in 2000s by pressing from the time the other team walked in the gym. He'd sub all five about halfway through first quarter, then sub back, and rotate those shifts almost like a hockey team.

It was fun to watch.

That said, I like Martin's emphasis on defense. I like scrappy teams with heart. And coaches with heart. Go Gamecocks.

I’ll concede that any team could be considered poor shooting based on one game. My main concerns are that they did not look good against Augusta or Upstate. Kentucky and Tennessee are going to be light years better than either one, so will Vanderbilt and Alabama.

Not being able to shoot is not a good problem to have. Come back in late January and remind me of our talk. You may be reserving judgement. I can assure you once the sample size increases you won’t be impressed. This is not going to be a good team. I wish it were different.

Reactions: Pole
It wasn't just 3s that we couldn't shoot. We couldn't make anything. It was about 33% shooting. Silva only scored one or two baskets. The rest of his points came at the FT line. We gotta do much better than that. We were playing a small team that we should have been able to dominate inside.

When have we ever been a clutch 3-point shooting team?

Last year was about the best we had with Booker.

What if we were 18 for 18 then lost anyway then what ? I don't care if we were 0-100 as long as we win. You don't need to be a smart guy to know that's 0 % but so what do you think we're going the rest of the season shooting 0% from 3 point range?...lol.

Start Bryant.

This is a must, Bryant is a baller. I was also surprised to see Hassani coming off the bench. In the press conference, CFM said that he's working things out with the starting 5 but it's still interesting to see a 5th year guy not in the lineup at tip. He responded well though, 12 rebounds for a guard is impressive.

I wish we'd run 100 mph full court press basketball like Nolan Richardson's old 40 minutes of hell. Don't give up an inch of the court.

There was a girls high school hoops coach down in Georgia at Hepzibah, can't remember his name but he won state championships back in 2000s by pressing from the time the other team walked in the gym. He'd sub all five about halfway through first quarter, then sub back, and rotate those shifts almost like a hockey team.

It was fun to watch.

That said, I like Martin's emphasis on defense. I like scrappy teams with heart. And coaches with heart. Go Gamecocks.

You want to see this style much closer - watch Newberry College play.

Still need a few conference games? We suck

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT