ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Football Predictions

We will beat UGa this season. You can go ahead & make book on that.
You are either a true undercover troll or off your rocker because I don't know how you can make the claim that we will beat them with such certainty. We got owned by them last season, & although we had 'two' terrible defensive coordinators, it still happened. I trust that Champ & Robinson will have our defense better BUT even the most optimistic fan wouldn't claim that a win is a lock. Please provide reason as to why you believe a win is guaranteed since you're certain we will win. I'm interested to know what you have to say.

Clemson always signs highly rated guys at QB. Watson is special. 4 and 5 star kids are a dime a dozen.

Without Watson, Clemson wins 9 games last year.

Come on? 5 star kids are a dime a dozen? You do realize Watson was a 5 star right? Sure wish we had a few of those dime a dozen 5 star players! That might would actually make your crazy SEC title game appearance projection this season seems a little less far fetched.

Based on what precedent? You're hailing him King Kirby before he has even coached 1 game?

Wipe the dawg slobber off your glasses man.

Practices are more organized, faster paced and physical than the last 15 years. Our spring game actually showed kids trying to make plays and improvement, even Lambert, who other than one game last year looked like a poor FCS qb looked much better.

Now, for your question, what are Gamecock fans basing their optimism on? Muschamp took a team who had won 2 NC in the 5 years before he got there and had them out of bowl season by his 3rd year and fired by end of his 4th after back to back 7-6 seasons. He did this with far more talent all over the field than he will have at USC this fall. He did all of this with recruiting classes that were consistently in the top 5, most experts thought he would have to rebuild his reputation at a small school, yet AU paid him a huge salary to come in as DC which he improved from giving up 347 points for the 14 season, to 338 for the 15 season. The classes he had to work with at AU were ranked 10th, 9th, 9th and 7th. Meanwhile the classes he has to work with at USC were 16th, 16th, 19th and 28th. I would think UGA fans have at least as much reason to be optimistic about the upcoming season with an unproven head coach as USC fans do with a coach who was fired playing against the same teams with much better talent. Muschamp has always been one to boast about what he was going to do, but never lived up to it, when he took over at UF he said he would never lose to UGA, that didn't work out too well for him. Truth is, Kirby was set to be the coach at USC and UGA hired him first and he would have been a hugely popular choice there too.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Hate to break it to ya Scuba but this board treats me like George Bailey. I say what needs to be said, and they back me up.

Now how about me and you have us a little wager about the upcoming season? I bet we win at least 8 games. If I'm right, you come to my home (address on page 1) and call me the prophet of FGF. Then we'll sit back, drink tea, and talk football as we overlook Lake Marion. If you win I'll treat you to a meal of your choosing, anywhere in the state of SC. Sound like a plan?

Go cocks go!
No deal. How about if you win, I'll call you the prophet on here, and if you lose, we'll both endure another losing football season and nothing much else will change.
But I disagree with your first sentence. Everything you say doesn't "need" to be said. As far as backing you, I've been around for several years and won't back anyone unless I agree with what they say. So, if it's negative, or intended to censure someone's true beliefs or feelings, I'll not back that.
Have a nice day.

@Vandy - W - This is going to be a tough game. Vandy's D was stout last year and they have one of the best RBs in the SEC. Close game, but we sneak the W on the road.

@Miss St - L SEC W is loaded with great teams. MSU is better than A&M even without Prescott.

ECU - W - An improved Gamecock team should win this game by 7.

@UK - W - UK has great RBs and they have had our number for two years in a row. This will be very tough. If we win, then Mark Stoops is on a very, very hot seat. I like us in the upset. We should be dogs by 5-7 though.

T&M - L - They have too much talent on the DL and we have question marks up front. Hope our off season conditioning is great and gives us a shot at competing for the win. Need to win the TO battle to win this one, imo.

UGA - W - UGA has a freshman QB who is supposed to be all world. Don't believe the hype. They stomped a mud hole in us last year in Athens though.

UMASS - W - easiest game on the schedule

TENN - W - UT is over rated and Jones tends to choke in close games. Deja vu?

MIZZOU - W - Their O was really stinky last year. Worse than Vandys.

@UF - W - Boom's welcome home party. He has this one circled. UF is over-rated.

W. Carolina - W - tune up for Clemp

@Clemsux - W - Watson is more concerned about his professional career at this point. Clemp will already have at least three losses by the time we play them and they will be primed for the upset. Boo birds emerge again in the fake Death Valley.

@Vandy - W - This is going to be a tough game. Vandy's D was stout last year and they have one of the best RBs in the SEC. Close game, but we sneak the W on the road.

@Miss St - L SEC W is loaded with great teams. MSU is better than A&M even without Prescott.

@UK - W - UK has great RBs and they have had our number for two years in a row. This will be very tough. If we win, then Mark Stoops is on a very, very hot seat. I like us in the upset. We should be dogs by 5-7 though.

T&M - L - They have too much talent on the DL and we have question marks up front. Hope our off season conditioning is great and gives us a shot at competing for the win. Need to win the TO battle to win this one, imo.

UGA - W - UGA has a freshman QB who is supposed to be all world. Don't believe the hype. They stomped a mud hole in us last year in Athens though.

@Clemsux - W - Watson is more concerned about his professional career at this point. Clemp will already have at least three losses by the time we play them and they will be primed for the upset. Boo birds emerge again in the fake Death Valley.

Sorry to inform you on this, but you along with everyone else that's predicting 10-2 are in for a disappointment. just don't do that to yourself. We can improve and start building for the future but we are not going to win 10 games by next season.

-You use a freshman QB hype for Georgia to show we win, but all we have at QB is freshman hype.

- you say Tennessee, Florida, and Clemson are overrated and that could be true or false but what is true is they currently have more talent on their rosters than we do and we are playing Clemson and Florida on the road.

-you say we beat Mizzou because they sucked on offense last season well hello we sucked on offense last season and lost our best playmaker, our #2 receiver option and our starting rB yet we win 10 games with a freshman QB, WR group that's top guy returning had less than 20 catches in his career and no true RB?

Hate to break it to ya Scuba but this board treats me like George Bailey. I say what needs to be said, and they back me up.

Now how about me and you have us a little wager about the upcoming season? I bet we win at least 8 games. If I'm right, you come to my home (address on page 1) and call me the prophet of FGF. Then we'll sit back, drink tea, and talk football as we overlook Lake Marion. If you win I'll treat you to a meal of your choosing, anywhere in the state of SC. Sound like a plan?

Go cocks go!

Why do you live at the Piggie Park?

Sorry to inform you on this, but you along with everyone else that's predicting 10-2 are in for a disappointment. just don't do that to yourself. We can improve and start building for the future but we are not going to win 10 games by next season.

-You use a freshman QB hype for Georgia to show we win, but all we have at QB is freshman hype.

- you say Tennessee, Florida, and Clemson are overrated and that could be true or false but what is true is they currently have more talent on their rosters than we do and we are playing Clemson and Florida on the road.

-you say we beat Mizzou because they sucked on offense last season well hello we sucked on offense last season and lost our best playmaker, our #2 receiver option and our starting rB yet we win 10 games with a freshman QB, WR group that's top guy returning had less than 20 catches in his career and no true RB?

I admit it's a best case scenario.

Practices are more organized, faster paced and physical than the last 15 years. Our spring game actually showed kids trying to make plays and improvement, even Lambert, who other than one game last year looked like a poor FCS qb looked much better.

Now, for your question, what are Gamecock fans basing their optimism on? Muschamp took a team who had won 2 NC in the 5 years before he got there and had them out of bowl season by his 3rd year and fired by end of his 4th after back to back 7-6 seasons. He did this with far more talent all over the field than he will have at USC this fall. He did all of this with recruiting classes that were consistently in the top 5, most experts thought he would have to rebuild his reputation at a small school, yet AU paid him a huge salary to come in as DC which he improved from giving up 347 points for the 14 season, to 338 for the 15 season. The classes he had to work with at AU were ranked 10th, 9th, 9th and 7th. Meanwhile the classes he has to work with at USC were 16th, 16th, 19th and 28th. I would think UGA fans have at least as much reason to be optimistic about the upcoming season with an unproven head coach as USC fans do with a coach who was fired playing against the same teams with much better talent. Muschamp has always been one to boast about what he was going to do, but never lived up to it, when he took over at UF he said he would never lose to UGA, that didn't work out too well for him. Truth is, Kirby was set to be the coach at USC and UGA hired him first and he would have been a hugely popular choice there too.

That's the trouble with these here message boards. Folks like you take opinions held by some and extrapolate them to make blanket statements such as this. Here's another opinion you can use, which is held by many, including myself....WM is a failure as a head coach until he proves otherwise. I have many reasons to hope he does indeed prove otherwise, one of which is to shut the mouths of many (notice I didn't say 'all') who seem to know for a fact that ours was the worse HC hire of all time. I can somewhat understand why a good portion of Florida fans want Muschamp to fail. After all, if he couldn't win at a blue blood program like Florida gata football, how in the world can he find success at little ol' SCar, amirite? What I don't really understand is why any Georgia fan would want one of their former players to fall flat on his face.

Reactions: 92Pony
I wanna' win the 1st one EASY then beat GA, UT, FL and clemson ... do that and the rest should take care of itself.

I'd like to see Rico break the FR rushing record ... I'd like to set a team record for picks. I'd like to see us return at least 3 punts and KO's for TD's while giving up NONE.

I'd like to avoid ALL major injuries. I'd like it to be TOTALLY OBVIOUS that nobody we play is in better shape than we are ... THAT is something we can 'control'.

I'd like to be the team that breaks 'bama's defending NC undefeated win-streak ... AGAIN.

You are either a true undercover troll or off your rocker because I don't know how you can make the claim that we will beat them with such certainty. We got owned by them last season, & although we had 'two' terrible defensive coordinators, it still happened. I trust that Champ & Robinson will have our defense better BUT even the most optimistic fan wouldn't claim that a win is a lock. Please provide reason as to why you believe a win is guaranteed since you're certain we will win. I'm interested to know what you have to say.

This millenium, we are 4-4 vs. UGa in Columbia. Only one of their wins ('06) hasn't gone down the the last series of the game. 3 of our 4 wins have been out & out whoopins. Cocks historically play 'em very tough here. Muschamp vs. his alma mater with Kirby Smart the first time & the game is later in the season this time as opposed to the 2nd or 3rd game. We'll have knocked off much of the newness by then. Cocks by 10.

Reactions: Tiger71
^^^ I just don't get it. We lost last year 52-20. Now both teams have brand new staffs and UGA still has the better athletes, but since we heard all the buzzwords from spring camp "revitalized, re-energized, more intensity, etc, etc and based on that we are supposed to be favored ?

Reactions: eyelikechicken420
^^^ I just don't get it. We lost last year 52-20. Now both teams have brand new staffs and UGA still has the better athletes, but since we heard all the buzzwords from spring camp "revitalized, re-energized, more intensity, etc, etc and based on that we are supposed to be favored ?

No. A good year for us will be 7 wins IMO. I predict 6 based on the schedule. The ones posting 10 wins etc are sipping the Kool Ade but to me that seems unrealistic.

No. A good year for us will be 7 wins IMO. I predict 6 based on the schedule. The ones posting 10 wins etc are sipping the Kool Ade but to me that seems unrealistic.

I think 5 wins, perhaps with a break 6 wins. You just don't go from being 7-6 and follow with a 3-9 campaign to winning 7-10 games. That is not being realistic, and setting up oneself for a major disappointment

We will have one of the best defenses in the conference this year. Mark it down. Someone please show me 5 games on this schedule we have no shot at winning. I see 8 wins at minimum. We will return home 4-0 with a 5 game home stand. Don't see a game on the schedule that isn't winnable.

Call me crazy all you want. If Roper can assemble a formidable offense at Duke, he can do it here.

See y'all in Atlanta!

We will have one of the best defenses in the conference this year. Mark it down. Someone please show me 5 games on this schedule we have no shot at winning. I see 8 wins at minimum. We will return home 4-0 with a 5 game home stand. Don't see a game on the schedule that isn't winnable.

Call me crazy all you want. If Roper can assemble a formidable offense at Duke, he can do it here.

See y'all in Atlanta!

You're trolling.

Like the predictions a lot, Poker. I tend to think that those first six games decide our season. All are winnable and we should be competitive in each one. If we come out flat and gag a few games away then it could be a long season. But, I think if the coaching staff continues to push our boys, and the defense acts like it has a pulse then 8-10 wins isn't out of the question.

Thoughts?

Go Cocks!
I like our chances better this year than ever for "not coming out flat." Even so, first 3 SEC games on the road is just ridiculous. And our D coaches are talking about the same as last year (with our personnel, we can't play close to the line). If we go 9-3 that will be some sort of miracle. Intensity will show - it dang well better because we have coaches with quite a bit of give a dang - but will it transfer into wins? Very hard to tell.

This millenium, we are 4-4 vs. UGa in Columbia. Only one of their wins ('06) hasn't gone down the the last series of the game. 3 of our 4 wins have been out & out whoopins. Cocks historically play 'em very tough here. Muschamp vs. his alma mater with Kirby Smart the first time & the game is later in the season this time as opposed to the 2nd or 3rd game. We'll have knocked off much of the newness by then. Cocks by 10.

The big factor you are counting on is Richt is no longer in Athens. He was good for 2-3 WTF games a year and Carolina benefited from more than a couple of those. Muschamp is as untested as a head coach as Smart, unless you count his failed attempt as a plus. But if you insist on looking at history, UGA has basically owned Muschamp anytime they faced him,

The big factor you are counting on is Richt is no longer in Athens. He was good for 2-3 WTF games a year and Carolina benefited from more than a couple of those. Muschamp is as untested as a head coach as Smart, unless you count his failed attempt as a plus. But if you insist on looking at history, UGA has basically owned Muschamp anytime they faced him,

You think that only because we beat Georgia. You exhibit an arrogant attitude to expect to beat South Carolina every year. This is especially the fact since SOS owned Georgia pretty much his entire coaching career, including his career at USC.

Last year was the anomaly.

IMO, the high-diving Richt is likely a superior head coach to the tight-a**ed Smart, but we will just have to wait to see how it pans out with the Georgia team chemistry, particularly when the Atlanta media starts on you.

Richt was the head coach at UGA when Georgia won 3/4 not the untested Smart. Most recently, though, Muschamp owned Georgia 38-20. I believe that was the last game he had against the dogs.

Last edited:
You think that only because we beat Georgia. You exhibit an arrogant attitude to expect to beat South Carolina every year. This is especially the fact since SOS owned Georgia pretty much his entire coaching career, including his career at USC.

IMO, the high-diving Richt is likely a superior head coach to the tight-a**ed Smart, but we will just have to wait to see how it pans out with the Georgia team chemistry, particularly when the Atlanta media starts on you.

Richt was the head coach at UGA when Georgia won 3/4 not the untested Smart. Most recently, though, Muschamp owned Georgia 38-20. I believe that was the last game he had against the dogs.

The Atlanta media ? Anyone who lives in this area will tell you that the Atlanta media is soft. No matter what team you care to mention, the local media does not call them out (although they should)

I believe that Richt was 6-5 against Spurrier while at SCar.....I hardly would say thats "owning"

While I can appreciate optimism, most fans don't appreciate the challenges of bringing a whole new staff entail. Imagine at your work place a new management staff comes in and from that point on, every one of your work items/responsibilities/machinery has changed. You now have to learn a completely new terminology, learn a whole new OS for your computers, everything you knew has now changed. There would be a learning curve expected.

This is the same scenario that will transpire. New play calling, new formations, new blocking scheme, new techniques. Some will remain the same most will be different.
Add to the equation that these are not the players this staff recruited to fit their schemes.

I expect improvement, but a 9-10 win campaign seems overly optimistic, maybe unrealistic

With all that said a 5-7 campaign would be a reasonable expectation, with a ceiling of 7-5.
Georgia and Missouri have new staffs. So hopefully that's two wins right there. At least Muschamp has some head-coaching experience.

Last edited:
I tried to reply to the clemsux poster, but he was apparently banned before I could submit. Haha.

And you keep believing every other QB recruit is another watson. Reality will sink in for you soon. Oh wait. You're a delusional clemsux fan. Maybe not.
So true! I've been hearing Clemson's best quarterback is their back up quarterback, going all way back to Woody Dantzler, if not all way back to Rodney Williams.

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2
Georgia and Missouri have new staffs. So hopefully that's two wins right there. At least Muschamp has some head-coaching experience.
How is that 2 wins since we are in the same exact situation. Mizzou a tossup, but even with a new staff not many could argue UGA has the better athletes. I see UGA as a L

As for Muschamp, yes he has HC expierence, but if your being honest with oneself his stint at UF speaks for itself

How is that 2 wins since we are in the same exact situation. Mizzou a tossup, but even with a new staff not many could argue UGA has the better athletes. I see UGA as a L

As for Muschamp, yes he has HC expierence, but if your being honest with oneself his stint at UF speaks for itself
Exactly! We are in the same exact situation. That works the same for all three teams. As far as who has the better athletes, I would think that many would argue that Georgia has usually had the better athletes. But that hasn't always translated into wins, now has it? Unlike a lot of the Chicken Little, gloom and doomers, I choose to be optimistic about our chances. I think some are giving too much credit to some of the teams on our schedule. Some of those teams have unanswered questions as well. As far as Muschamp's stint as a head coach, I chose not to go there as far as his success was concerned. I merely pointed out that he has head-coaching experience, unlike the others.

My 2 cents:
@Vandy W (lock)
@MsSt W ("should" win)
ECU W (lock)
@ UK 50/50
TAMU 50/50
UGA L ("should" lose)
UMass W (lock)
TN L ("should" lose)
Mizzu W ("should" win)
@ UF L ( lock)
WCU W (lock)
@ Clempson L (lock)

So I have 4 lock wins/ 2 "should" wins.....meaning if healthy and reasonably competent on defense we should win/ 2 "should" lose but if we have a stellar offensive day we could win/ 2 Loses are locks on the road against more talent but I will be praying/ 2 50/50 games meaning we can win but recent history tells us we haven't beaten them so gotta show me something first. So if this is a total rebuilding effort I see 6 and 6. If we are better than our record shows and the talent is there to be refined and coached up....then we get the two 50/50 wins and are at 8-4. If Coach boom is playing possum with what we have and we are in shock the world mode...maybe we win one or both of the "should" lose games and are at 9-3 or maybe 10-2. If we are healthy throughout I think it can be a good year and hit the 8-4 range and if the freshmen don't play like freshmen then the shy is the limit.

Photon,what sec team do we play on the road that is as good or better than Clemson?I hate Clemson as much as any other Gamecock fan but it kills me to say it they are better than any SEC team we play on the road this year,unless we make it to Atlanta.

I think we were the best 3-9 team in the country last year. 10 wins this year definitely possible...

But in all seriousness.. Boom will bring better attitude, fundamentals, and physicality immediately. So I don't think a 6, 7, or even 8 win season is out of the question if we get a few lucky breaks

Photon,what sec team do we play on the road that is as good or better than Clemson?I hate Clemson as much as any other Gamecock fan but it kills me to say it they are better than any SEC team we play on the road this year,unless we make it to Atlanta.

Some here will actually believe you are a fan, tigger.

Some here will actually believe you are a fan, tigger.
Yeah, but you didn't answer his question. We have some real butthurt posters on this site that just can't digest reality. We were good 3-4 years ago, and the Clemps had to deal with it. Today Clemp is good, and we have to deal with it. If you can't, and you feel obligated to attack other SC fans, maybe you need to stay off of fan websites for a while.

Yeah, but you didn't answer his question. We have some real butthurt posters on this site that just can't digest reality. We were good 3-4 years ago, and the Clemps had to deal with it. Today Clemp is good, and we have to deal with it. If you can't, and you feel obligated to attack other SC fans, maybe you need to stay off of fan websites for a while.

Clemson is better than any SEC road team SCar will face this year. Better??
I'm calling out a troll. Mind your business little fella.

Clemson is better than any SEC road team SCar will face this year. Better??
I'm calling out a troll. Mind your business little fella.

We play Vandy, Miss St, Kentucky, and Florida on the road. Please tell me which one of these teams are better than Clemson?

gpcocks,I was just being honest our 2 toughest road games within the conference would be Mississippi State and Florida. I hate to say it but neither of those are tougher than playing an instate rivalry game on the road.

gpcocks,I was just being honest our 2 toughest road games within the conference would be Mississippi State and Florida. I hate to say it but neither of those are tougher than playing an instate rivalry game on the road.

I don't disagree. However. I believe you are not a SCar fan, and you have created an account here just to antagonize folks on this forum that are.

Carry on. It's social justice, you're entitled to do whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT