ADVERTISEMENT

2019 OL w/ Signee Analysis

M

Matt OBrien

Each year, I add some thoughts/analysis on the Gamecock football commits. This year, I thought I'd change it up a bit and add in how I believe each commit will impact their respective position, in addition to sharing some analysis on them.
----------
QB Analysis w/ Hilinski
RB Analysis w/ Harris + Coach Brown
TE Analysis w/ Kenion + Toney
WR Analysis w/ Mullins, Johnson, Legette
-------------
Rounding out the offensive side of the football is the O-Line. Seemingly a big question mark heading into each of the last four seasons, the offensive line took some steps in the right direction in 2018. Coach Wolford had a tough job in "flipping" the talent and overall build of the OL, a term used quite a bit by Coach Muschamp's staff since they arrived on campus a few years ago.

Overall, the OL looked good in 2018. It was clear that coaches made protecting the QB the #1 focus in the off-season, as I thought the OL gave Jake Bentley plenty of time on a consistent basis; including against the vaunted Clemson defensive front that featured four starters who will be playing quite a bit in the NFL next year.

By sharp contrast to the pass-blocking, the OL's run-blocking was poor in 2018. I rarely saw a good run push against FBS-level competition and consistently saw the SC running backs staring at a wall without holes as they approached the line of scrimmage. It's no secret that he RB group lacks a game-changer type of talent, so if you couple that with an OL that cannot create a push, you end up with an ineffective running game.

One thing that the offense as a whole could do to help the OL would be to attack the perimeter more. Without a run-threat at QB and edge speed at RB, there needs to be more quick passes to the flats, to lessen the number of bodies in the box on defense. A glaring observation that stood out in the UVA game, particularly, was the defense's complete disregard for the perimeter. Instead, they stacked the box and kept the OL from being able to get movement or reach their second blocks.

I'll be interested to see if Coach McClendon's takes this into account with more perimeter plays in 2019, or else it will fall on Coach Wolford to try to get creative with wider splits, more pulls, etc.. in order to be more effective in the run game.
-------------
Personnel-wise, the Gamecocks lose starting LT Dennis Daley, who could end up being a steal in the 2019 NFL Draft (read draft analysis here) and starting OG Zack Bailey, who ended the season with a broken fibula, but will still likely be drafted given his natural size and athleticism. The Gamecocks also lose swing-player Malik Young and former RT starter Blake Camper. Replacing two potential NFL players and two contributors is never easy for any position group, but it is quite difficult along the OL where communication and synergy is key.

The good news is that there is a mixture of returning starters and young talent for Coach Wolford to work with. The key piece to the OL in 2019 will be Sadarius Hutcherson due to his ability to play any spot along the front. Interior OL Donnell Stanley elected to return for his final, final year at South Carolina, which was a big win. Rising true sophomore Dylan Wonnum took over as starter at RT midway through the season and earned all-SEC freshman honors in 2018. These three players will likely be cross-trained until the unproven OL guys show they can play at certain spots.
----------
Rising RS Freshman Hank Manos appears to have all of the makings of a solid Center, so I expect him to get a strong look there in the Spring. Pushing him at the spot will be true freshman Vincent Murphy and junior Chandler Farrell. Donnell Stanley can also swing back to Center if needed, as well.

The guard spot will be an important one for a young guy to quickly step up, as I believe it would allow the team to test Hutcherson at tackle. The strongest guy on the team, Jovaughn Gwyn will compete at guard with fellow RS Freshman Eric Douglas, and newcomers Jakai Moore and Jaylen Nichols. The one thing that stands out with this group is their athleticism, as all have the ability to move well in space, which is a point of emphasis for Coach Wolford when recruiting OL.

Dylan Wonnum will start at LT or RT, depending on the rest of the OL comes to shape. Hutcherson could test at OT, too, so Coach Wolford will have to identify 1-2 RT candidates early in the Spring. Jordan Rhodes will lead the battle for RT, alongside Max Iyama and Jordan Carty.

Providing depth at multiple spots along the front will be newcomer Mark Fox, who projects long-term as a guard. Will Putnam, Summie Carlay, Wyatt Campbell, and Cameron Johnson will also look to compete for backup spots in 2019. EDIT: Newly signed William Rogers will look to compete at guard, but appears to be someone who will need just a couple of years before being ready to compete.
-----------
Starting O-Line: Please note this is my ideal starting unit for the 2019 season and may be different than what we see in the Spring.

LT: Dylan Wonnum
LG: Donnell Stanley
C: Hank Manos
RG: Jovaughn Gwyn
RT: Sadarius Hutcherson
-----------
Additional Analysis on 2019 signees:

Mark Fox looks like someone who can play at any offensive line spot in the future. His athleticism and arm length give him the look of a future RT, but I could easily see him playing at Guard. Listed as a 5.8 four-star Tackle by Rivals, I agree with this rating for Fox due to his valuable versatility.

Vincent Murphy will push Hank Manos early and often for playing time at Center over the next couple of years. Murphy is a polished Center and leader, as a apparent by being the first-ever underclassman Captain for HS power St. Thomas Aquinas. Murphy is rated as a 5.7 three-star and I agree with this rating.

A big pickup over Penn State late in the process, Jakai Moore may have the highest upside of any 2019 OL signee. Moore is extremely athletic and looks like to have superior hand-eye coordination. The way he moves reminds me of my former teammate, A.J. Cann, and I'd peg Moore to have a high ceiling at Guard, and potentially at Tackle if needed. Moore is rated as a 5.6 three-star by Rivals and I disagree with this rating, and would have him as a 5.8 four-star at the very least; which I define as 5.8 four-star: These are your high-impact players who show pro potential.

Rounding out a strong OL class is Jaylen Nichols. Another guy who displays versatile athleticism, a consistent theme for Coach Wolford's players, Nichols moves really well for a guy his size at the HS level. I can easily see Nichols gaining weight and maintaining his burst and athleticism, and being a solid Guard. Nichols is rated as a 5.5 three-star by Rivals, and while I don't strongly disagree with this due to Nichols need to develop, I'd have him slightly higher as a 5.6 three-star; which I define as 5.6 three-star: These players show good long-term potential – but would benefit from a redshirt season to develop

EDIT ADD:

Williams Rogers joined the class last week, taking one of the final spots in the Gamecocks' 2019 signing class. South Carolina like Rogers because he's got good quickness, athleticism, and is a bull in tight quarters - which makes him a good fit at the Guard position. One other interesting thing about Rogers is that he is proficient on both sides of the football, so that'll be something to keep an eye on over the next few years, as well. The fact that South Carolina took a fifth OL without dire need tells me that they see some legit upside in Rogers, and I'm always a fan of bringing a full OL class of 5, as it's such a hard position to peg in recruiting. Rogers is rated as a 5.5 three-star by Rogers - and I do not disagree too much with this rating given that Rogers will likely need 2-3 to develop before seeing significant time.
------------

What do you think of the 2019 Offensive Line?

Will the unit continue to progress under Coach Wolford? Or will they greatly miss Daley and Bailey?

What's your ideal Starting OL unit?

Any additional thoughts or questions are welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News