ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

So UF...... biggest positive surprise of the first half of conference play? How the hell are they 5-3? Smoke and mirrors? Under valued talent? Team buy in? Scheme?
Good guard play. Against LSU, the Gators pushed the pace hard. They tried to shoot the ball before LSU could set its defense. They were less effective in the half-court.

Defensively, they played man-to-man defense. Kiara Smith did a nice job on Pointer. Not playing zone allowed them to do well on the defensive boards. No shot blocking, though.

I tend to think the best way to beat Carolina is to slow the pace, but Florida can't just change who they are and what style has lead to winning 5 games in a row. I think we'll see Dawn continue with the press and the large player rotation. Hopefully we can wear down Smith, who's their most important player.

I am going to regret asking this but what does "acting ghetto" mean? Does Frank Martin and Bobby Knight act "ghetto"? Maybe you should go look up the word ghetto.
I am assuming you did not see her throw her arms, facial expression and read her lips in the huddle (foul language) that would not be appropriate for youngsters watching the game...

There is a certain class that would seem to be expected once you reach the level of head coach of a college or university...maybe I'm old school...I guess the class acts of Bear Bryant, Pat Summit, Nick Saban, John Wooden, Pat Riley, Ray Tanner, Dean Smith, Kein Summlin, David Shaw, Carolyn Peck....The coach for Ole Miss looked acted like someone on the playgrounds of inner city NY...not classy at all....

I am assuming you did not see her throw her arms, facial expression and read her lips in the huddle (foul language) that would not be appropriate for youngsters watching the game...

There is a certain class that would seem to be expected once you reach the level of head coach of a college or university...maybe I'm old school...I guess the class acts of Bear Bryant, Pat Summit, Nick Saban, John Wooden, Pat Riley, Ray Tanner, Dean Smith, Kein Summlin, David Shaw, Carolyn Peck....The coach for Ole Miss looked acted like someone on the playgrounds of inner city NY...not classy at all....

Again, go look up the word "ghetto". You can be from the inner cities and have class.

I am going to regret asking this but what does "acting ghetto" mean? Does Frank Martin and Bobby Knight act "ghetto"? Maybe you should go look up the word ghetto.
This isn't the first time he's used loaded language on similar matters. His emphasis on that word and who he used it on was no coincidence. Someone who goes down to that level has no class to judge others.

As for coach Yo she is well respected in the business by her peers and players. She knows what buttons to push to get the most out of her team. Those players love her and her energy and despite being a rookie. But you sure won't see these people say the same about Frank or even Vic Schaefer with similar antics. You're better off ignoring him altogether because he wants the attention.

• Haha
Reactions: Cybercock
I saw that camera clip over the huddle. I didn't like it. But I've seen her jumping up & down on the sidelines before so that wasn't a new performance

LOL! I've seen worse from Coach Beamer and he's the whitest piece of wonder bread at the grocery store!

I don't think this is an old school / new school thing at all. If I had to guess, it's a technology thing. Now we have 100 cameras in 4k focused on every game. I see coaches getting caught mouthing off and throwing headsets and hands in like 90% of the games I watch...

Reactions: Whiterockcock69

If you are going claim being classy and old school...... then please don’t use the phrase “ghetto”. It is not classy and it’s connection to being old school would be very unflattering to you.
Yet another tasteless remark inserted into a thread that tries really hard to focus on our WBB program. Clearly not wanted here. Start your own separate thread if you so desire

Are you freakin kidding me…..we are up 50 points and you can’t let two players who practice hard everyday play 3 or 4 minutes?

I was about to start a thread asking if the two might be injured or sick…but I saw them on the end of the bench and they were dressed out. So winning by 40 instead of 50 would change something? As Captain Hook said…..”bad form”

So much for the old college spirit approach. I sure hope they were sick or injured and couldn’t practice this week or this is a crap move.
I think you’re missing something. Coming in to the end of the year and Rivers, Hall, and Feagin need to get minutes to get ready for tournament time. Olivia and Wesolek bring essentially nothing to the table in terms of making a real contribution when the game is on the line. I am quite sure both have been spoken to. It’s not a crap move in my opinion and I would do the same if I was the coach. You got to make some investment in these young AA’s.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Florida match-up?
I am stunned at their success especially with no Briggs. Smith is having a very good year.

They are not a good rebounding team. Not a good shooting or 3 point shooting team.

They play good D and shoot very well from the line, play 10 players. I want to marry Rimdal.
Not a lot of size.....

And yet they have Beaten FSU, a good Dayton team, A&M, UK and LSU! All of those teams have more talent than UF but have serious flaws. Somehow UF exposed those flaws enough to win!

That says discipline to game plan, heart, and buy in. I look at the roster and stat sheets and say we win by 30. But they have surprised all season except against NCSU and Ole Miss.

Our D is playing so well right now that I think it just swamps😉 them. But other than that I do not have a clear handle on them

Cooper is a gem! In many ways she is a quintessential DS recruit. Off the scale athletically, long for her position, does everything.... score, rebound, defend, with a team attitude.

I know she is a 5* who was in the top 20 but I believe she was undervalued. She is a 6’1” PG who can play the 1-3. There were 6 guards ranked ahead of her and the only one I feel is better than her is #2 overall Kiki Rice.

Florida beat LSU by 1 point. Midway through the 3rd quarter, Cherry for LSU picked up a technical, which ended up being the difference. For a senior laden team, they let their emotions get the better of them at times.

I think you’re missing something. Coming in to the end of the year and Rivers, Hall, and Feagin need to get minutes to get ready for tournament time. Olivia and Wesolek bring essentially nothing to the table in terms of making a real contribution when the game is on the line. I am quite sure both have been spoken to. It’s not a crap move in my opinion and I would do the same if I was the coach. You got to make some investment in these young AA’s.
You know Olivia is one of my favorite players because of her attitude, dedication, team spirit and support. She is champ and hero as far as I’m concerned. However, I’m totally understand where you’re coming from an I’m in total agreement with your comment Brother Whiterockcock69 🤙

Wanted to follow up on one of the preseason prediction I made, and yes, I will only update the ones I got right. Boston’s minutes will go down and her production will go up.

Also overall starters MPG is down from 147 mpg to 130 mpg

Last year 31 games
30.4 mpg
13.7 ppg
164-348 48.5%
Ft% 76.4
11.5 rebounds
Assists 50
Fouls 88
Turnovers 49

This year 20 games
27.5 mpg
17.9 ppg
138-246 56.1%
Ft% 78.7
Rebounds 11.5
Assists 35
Fouls 33
Turnovers 26

Last edited:
Wanted to follow up on one of the preseason prediction I made, and yes, I will only update the ones I got right. Boston’s minutes will go down and her production will go up.

Last year 31 games
30.4 mpg
13.7 ppg
164-348 48.5%
Ft% 76.4
11.5 rebounds
Assists 50
Fouls 88
Turnovers 49

This year 20 games
27.5 mpg
17.9 ppg
138-246 56.1%
Ft% 78.7
Rebounds 11.5
Assists 35
Fouls 33
Turnovers 26
That's amazing! 3 less minutes played on average yet she has either held serve or improved her stats!

Reactions: Whiterockcock69

Last year 31 games
30.4 mpg
13.7 ppg
164-348 48.5%
Ft% 76.4
11.5 rebounds
Assists 50
Fouls 88
Turnovers 49

This year 20 games
27.5 mpg
17.9 ppg
138-246 56.1%
Ft% 78.7
Rebounds 11.5
Assists 35
Fouls 33
Turnovers 26
I remember that discussion regarding Aliyah and Destanni It has made a difference having the deeper bench. And I really think the strength and conditioning coach has been a big factor with Aliyah and the rest as well. We look stronger than most teams we’ve played. Some notably. I though Oke Miss looked right strong.

Cooper is a gem! In many ways she is a quintessential DS recruit. Off the scale athletically, long for her position, does everything.... score, rebound, defend, with a team attitude.

I know she is a 5* who was in the top 20 but I believe she was undervalued. She is a 6’1” PG who can play the 1-3. There were 6 guards ranked ahead of her and the only one I feel is better than her is #2 overall Kiki Rice.
The college player I would compare her to is Kiara Smith from Florida. Both can grab a rebound and push the ball the other way in a flash and both can defend any perimeter position. Cooper is a couple inches taller, which is scary (for our future opponents).

I see Cooper and Rivers being great defenders for the team. Same height, simply skill set
The 19-20 team was an offensive machine that played very good D.

The 20-21 team was tough and gritty, it had a short bench and therefore couldn’t really ratchet up pressure on D. Even so it was a national championship team had it gotten 1 tip in.

The 21-22 team is a defensive monster and getting better. Every stat site puts us at 1 or 2 with Ga. Tech being the other. You could legitimately make a case for Boston, Beal, Saxton, and Henny to be all SEC Defensive team. And Cooke is an excellent defender. Throw in Cardoso(ACC DPOY), Amihere who HONESTLY can guard 1-5, Grissett who wreaks havoc, Hall and Rivers. Ten deep, no drop off and we are now starting to press.

We are tenacious in fighting through screens, set a perfect one and we switch, eff you very much. We don’t need to double but when we do the team knows it’s rotations. We run teams off the line, don’t foul much, block shots and rebound!!

I think Ark. coach, Mike Neighbors, put it best, “We scored 52 points(they avg. 77). We had a pretty good offensive night. Y’all just don’t know how hard it is to score on them, sometimes even get a good shot off.”

We were -6 when Cardoso was in the game today. No big deal. We don't need her to be a major factor to win the tournament. We just need her to give us some spot minutes to keep Boston fresh and out of foul trouble.

However, that being said, I would like to see her develop for the future. We have have the softest part of our schedule since early in the season coming up: Bama, UK, Auburn. I'm hoping she can get more minutes than usual and she'll take advantage of them. She has so much potential.

Miss State wins AGAIN without Rickea Jackson. I saw one of the Hayes sisters credit "unselfishness" for the win. A not too subtle dig, I think.

Miss State wins AGAIN without Rickea Jackson. I saw one of the Hayes sisters credit "unselfishness" for the win. A not too subtle dig, I think.
I was thinking the same. As we have seen, it only takes one player to ruin the team chemistry. In some situations, the talent is not worth the headache. I rememeber Dawn saying that she talked to the team prior to adding Cardoso. Open communication and proper vetting.

Reactions: DarkCock
Attendance stat
Yes we again lead the country in attendance
BUT did you know
We have been the top attendance draw of the year at 6 of our 7 road games

NCSU, Duke, Ark, Mizzou, UF largest crowd in 20 years, and LSU 15th largest crowd ever.

The only team to outdraw us on the road???
S. Dakota St when they played at in state rival
S. Dakota.

DS constantly talks about growing the women’s game. Well the gamecocks are doing their part.

Anybody know whats up with the bball genius who keeps voting NC State #1 every week??

This is his ranking linked above. 2 teams with more losses than us and against us ranked above us.

I'm going to be pissed if Arkansas loses because that big clumsy dufus for UT fell on Daniels' leg. That looked like a wrasslin' move.

Reactions: Lowcountry1
I'm going to be pissed if Arkansas loses because that big clumsy dufus for UT fell on Daniels' leg. That looked like a wrasslin' move.
At least it happened right before halftime. So if there's a chance for her to come back on the court she'll have a minute to rest.

Reactions: DarkCock

He seems to be a sports writer for Baylor. He also graduated from Texas Tech and covers Big XII news. Maybe he has a Big XII or Texas bias in his voting?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT