ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

I was just thinking the same thing. I bet he'll move Stanford to #1 and USC #2
I wouldn't be so sure, prior to the current rankings he had Louisville at first and Stanford at 2nd and us at 3rd. Then when NC State beat Louisville, they leaped everyone to first. So if he can he'll probably find a way to do it again. If Tennessee beats Florida and UConn, I won't be surprised if they find a way above us on his list.

The ACC didn't do State in favors by scheduling back-to-back road games in a 3 day span. I would still have State in my top 5 or 6. Of course, I would have never ranked them #1.

I wouldn't be so sure, prior to the current rankings he had Louisville at first and Stanford at 2nd and us at 3rd. Then when NC State beat Louisville, they leaped everyone to first. So if he can he'll probably find a way to do it again. If Tennessee beats Florida and UConn, I won't be surprised if they find a way above us on his list.
There's no predicting with this guy! LOL. Doing a quick google search of his body of work, he seems more focused on Texas high school and college football. I bet he does very little homework concerning women's basketball. It only seems like he keeps up with Baylor WBB.

Since the long layoff due to the Ole Miss game being postponed, the Gamecocks have played 8 games. The previous game prior to the Ole Mis postponement was the overtime loss to Missouri. But the Gamecocks are 8-0 since - during those 8 games, they have shot 124-170 from the free throw line, for a 72.9 completion percentage. So it looks like they spent much of that down time practicing their FT shooting.

They were supposed to have practiced on their ball protection after the Arkansas game, when they had 8 days between games - they started out looking improved, with a total 20 turnovers in the Vanderbilt and Ole Miss make-up games, but then had 21 turnovers against Florida alone, so that is still a work in progress I guess....

Since the long layoff due to the Ole Miss game being postponed, the Gamecocks have played 8 games. The previous game prior to the Ole Mis postponement was the overtime loss to Missouri. But the Gamecocks are 8-0 since - during those 8 games, they have shot 124-170 from the free throw line, for a 72.9 completion percentage. So it looks like they spent much of that down time practicing their FT shooting.

They were supposed to have practiced on their ball protection after the Arkansas game, when they had 8 days between games - they started out looking improved, with a total 20 turnovers in the Vanderbilt and Ole Miss make-up games, but then had 21 turnovers against Florida alone, so that is still a work in progress I guess....
Interesting to note that USC and UT are the two worst teams in the conference in turnover margin and the two best teams in rebounding margin.

One would think that K St. is a good looking basketball team based on the three photos. Upon further review........not so much!
Agreed. Way better teams out there that are deserving of the #25 ranking. These rankings are based on who's on the team first with skill after. Kentucky has the potential #1 pick - thus was ranked until they are not. K St has Ayoka Lee.

Florida leading at half to Tennessee. I believe our game gave them confidence and they are taking it to Tennessee.

The best case scenario is that Florida beats Tennessee and then Tennessee beats UConn on Sunday.

What's that besides getting their butts kicked? Did I miss something?
One girl bumped into Baker. Then Blackwell got involved. Just a little shoving and words - but still.

Happy Ole Miss beat them. Fl on top Tenn right now - but its way to early

Reactions: DarkCock
Wow. Ole Miss brought the defensive intensity to Mizzou we lacked against the Tigers. Some of our fans are obsessed with outside shooting, but it was our defense that costs us that game. We have turned up the defense the last few games. Let's keep it up tonight.

Interesting to note that USC and UT are the two worst teams in the conference in turnover margin and the two best teams in rebounding margin.
NC State lost last night so the clown who keeps voting them #1 needs a reality check.
🎉🎉🎉🎉😍😍🥰⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

2000th post in the thread

Looking ahead to

SEC WBB Superlatives

COY
Dawn Staley of course....... I mean top team, top record, BUT you can make a case for Finley at UF. Picked no higher than 11th by anybody. Interim coach thrown into a mess when Newbauer was fired. Former players go public with damning stories. Best player has season ending injury and ghosts into the portal. You want top dog or underdog? Finley wins if they make top 4 in conference

POY

BOSTON, BOSTON, BOSTON. Conference has had enough of Howard. Even though she is leading scorer. Real case can be made for Blackwell at Mizzou. Better stats in ppg and reb. Has more double-doubles than Boston. Does not have near the cast Boston does.

DPOY

IF they did this right they would just name the whole Gamecock team as DPOY. Team has been just dominant. But it’s an individual award. Did you know there are 4 players who were DPOY in their conference last year playing in the SEC? LaShonda Monk(AAC) at Ole Miss, Que Morrison at UGA, Cardoso(ACC) and Boston. Boston wins as both great defender and as a nod to our whole team

ALL SEC they choose 8

Boston USC
Blackwell Mizzou
Howard UK
Austin OM
Smith UF
Ramirez Ark
Pointer LSU
Couliby Auburn. Look up her stats before you bitch. Best player on worst team that nobody has heard of.

Henderson should be on first team, she should have been there last year.
Horston May make 1st team but that will be her rep not her play

All D
Boston
Beal
Morrison UGA
Key UT
Cambridge Vandy

Looking ahead to

SEC WBB Superlatives

COY
Dawn Staley of course....... I mean top team, top record, BUT you can make a case for Finley at UF. Picked no higher than 11th by anybody. Interim coach thrown into a mess when Newbauer was fired. Former players go public with damning stories. Best player has season ending injury and ghosts into the portal. You want top dog or underdog? Finley wins if they make top 4 in conference

POY

BOSTON, BOSTON, BOSTON. Conference has had enough of Howard. Even though she is leading scorer. Real case can be made for Blackwell at Mizzou. Better stats in ppg and reb. Has more double-doubles than Boston. Does not have near the cast Boston does.

DPOY

IF they did this right they would just name the whole Gamecock team as DPOY. Team has been just dominant. But it’s an individual award. Did you know there are 4 players who were DPOY in their conference last year playing in the SEC? LaShonda Monk(AAC) at Ole Miss, Que Morrison at UGA, Cardoso(ACC) and Boston. Boston wins as both great defender and as a nod to our whole team

ALL SEC they choose 8

Boston USC
Blackwell Mizzou
Howard UK
Austin OM
Smith UF
Ramirez Ark
Pointer LSU
Couliby Auburn. Look up her stats before you bitch. Best player on worst team that nobody has heard of.

Henderson should be on first team, she should have been there last year.
Horston May make 1st team but that will be her rep not her play

All D
Boston
Beal
Morrison UGA
Key UT
Cambridge Vandy
Agree with most of those picks. If I remember correctly, the All-SEC isn't by position. In that case, I think Anastasia Hayes would make it as of right now. She's averaging 22 points per game in conference play. State is 5-4 in conference, which is crazy. Their roster is average and depleted. They should be 2-7, at best.

Reactions: winloseortie
Agree with most of those picks. If I remember correctly, the All-SEC isn't by position. In that case, I think Anastasia Hayes would make it as of right now. She's averaging 22 points per game in conference play. State is 5-4 in conference, which is crazy. Their roster is average and depleted. They should be 2-7, at best.
She would be a worthy pick

Poor tater WBB. Sitting at 1-10 in ACC...... two of their best players and starters have left the team. Kiki Lewis simply “retired” from basketball. Gabby Elliot who had a very good Fr year and made a national team, USA U-19 I believe, last summer is in the portal.

After her first year, when Butler got them to the 2nd round ncaa, I thought they might be turning it around. They are once again a cellar dwelling dumpster fire. Butler MAY get one more year or not

I third on A. Hayes getting All SEC. Honestly Miss St has been playing much better without Rickea - the same as Fl without Briggs.

Looking ahead to

SEC WBB Superlatives

COY
Dawn Staley of course....... I mean top team, top record, BUT you can make a case for Finley at UF. Picked no higher than 11th by anybody. Interim coach thrown into a mess when Newbauer was fired. Former players go public with damning stories. Best player has season ending injury and ghosts into the portal. You want top dog or underdog? Finley wins if they make
I think as of right now Finley has to be the favorite. They have 4 top 25 wins despite everything that has happened. It's crazy how all the other potential COY candidates (Mulkey, Harper, Yo) went down really fast in the past couple of weeks. Of the 3 Coach Yo has the best shot at re-entering the conversation.

I pretty much agree on everything else, and I believe it's too late for any of our freshmen to make the push all freshman team, although I hope they prove me wrong with some amazing performances.

I think as of right now Finley has to be the favorite. They have 4 top 25 wins despite everything that has happened. It's crazy how all the other potential COY candidates (Mulkey, Harper, Yo) went down really fast in the past couple of weeks. Of the 3 Coach Yo has the best shot at re-entering the conversation.

I pretty much agree on everything else, and I believe it's too late for any of our freshmen to make the push all freshman team, although I hope they prove me wrong with some amazing performances.
I’m clueless on all Fr. I guess Wolfenbarger, but who else

FOY
Walker UK
Moore Vandy
Spencer Ark
It’s a toss up. Spencer wins IMO because she is on the better team

ALL FR TEAM
Samara Spencer Ark
Iyana Moore Vandy
Jada Walker UK
Sara Puckett UT
Denae Carter Miss St
Jersey Wolfenbarger Ark

Walker, Spencer and Moore all score in double figures

I still believe The Lady’s Gs would’ve been a better fit for Rickea Jackson!!!
I really wanted her at the time. After watching some of her antics, I'm not sure she was a better fit for us. Players that need to be the lone "super star" doesn't fit what Dawn preaches. I found it very telling when the freshmen class was ask what their goals were. None listed individual goals. They all said "win a National Championship".

UT has just come unhinged. Bad loss to Auburn, lucky escape with Ark, beatdown by UF, and now a beatdown by UCONN.

You have to ask is something more than basketball going on?

Reactions: Goody101
I still believe The Lady’s Gs would’ve been a better fit for Rickea Jackson!!!
I think Rickea found out what was coming to SC and did not want to be part of a crowd. Which is fine. She's a good player that will land somewhere and can have a career in bb if she wants it

UT's winning streak gave them some unrealistic expectations for the season. Now with the losses reality is setting in and their fans are really talking it hard.

UT's winning streak gave them some unrealistic expectations for the season. Now with the losses reality is setting in and their fans are really talking it hard.
Tennessee has some good players but it seems like the whole team is in a slump with the exception of Horston. They also have no depth at the post with Keyan Green out. Since Key is prone to foul, this is a recipe for frustration. They still look like a top 16 team to me... they've just lost their confidence.

UT played brilliantly for 19 games against a very tough schedule #8 SOS. They truly looked like a 1 or 2 seed. What happened??

Somethings have already been mentioned; the Green injury which harmed post depth and D. A slump and loss of confidence that came at the same time.

Other things have been inherent but lessened by coaching, great rebounding, and team play..... turnovers, Key’s propensity to foul. Unlike us, they do not have a wealth of just plain physical talent and depth to power through.

Another thing is just scouting..... 20 games in and there are no secrets. EVERYONE knows how to game plan. Those hidden weaknesses have exposed.
Pound the post....Key WILL foul
Deny passing lanes..... no true pg, they are too slow to backdoor and Horston is the ONLY player who can score 1v1.
They may be tall but are SLOW on D

A telling stat: Before the Auburn game they were #14 nationally in points allowed with 54ppg. Four games later when yesterday’s game is included they will be #68 or lower with a 58.6 ppg average. That is a stunning collapse

Last edited:
I have Key just slightly above Ododo from uconn. She's tall, blocks shots but seems like nothing else there when you need her on the floor.

The 2022 draft class gets wonky from around the 8th pick down. Stronger class than 2021 but nothing like the 2023 will be.

The announcers yesterday said that Tennessee has been struggling with turnovers recently. FALSE! They've been struggling with turnovers ALL SEASON. But they are no longer rebounding at the same rate. Great rebounding covers up a lot of deficiencies.

UT is still leading the nation in rebounds per game, nearly 50 a game. However, they only pulled down 38 against UCONN, the same as the Huskies. The Vols were outrebounded by UF.

Why aren't they rebounding as well? Green was a bruiser inside, so yes her loss matters. Still, a player who plays 15 minutes a game shouldn't matter THAT much. I think teams have adjusted by playing man and not doubling. That allows for better rebounding position. It also prevents Darby from getting open looks. UT really needs Key and Burrell to step it up offensively. They should be players that draw double-teams against most opponents. Horston can't do it alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT