ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

The announcers yesterday said that Tennessee has been struggling with turnovers recently. FALSE! They've been struggling with turnovers ALL SEASON. But they are no longer rebounding at the same rate. Great rebounding covers up a lot of deficiencies.

UT is still leading the nation in rebounds per game, nearly 50 a game. However, they only pulled down 38 against UCONN, the same as the Huskies. The Vols were outrebounded by UF.

Why aren't they rebounding as well? Green was a bruiser inside, so yes her loss matters. Still, a player who plays 15 minutes a game shouldn't matter THAT much. I think teams have adjusted by playing man and not doubling. That allows for better rebounding position. It also prevents Darby from getting open looks. UT really needs Key and Burrell to step it up offensively. They should be players that draw double-teams against most opponents. Horston can't do it alone.
Nailed it 👏👏👏👏👏👏

Reactions: DarkCock
Thanks. Who do you like Thursday? UT or Mizzou? Mizzou laid an egg last time out as well. This feels like a big game for both teams. I'm leaning Vols right now.
Interesting matchup.

Who guards Horston? Who guards Blackwell? Who does Key guard when Williams is not in the game?

Mizzou is the superior shooting team, #3 in the nation in fg%. UT the superior rebounding team.

It is a game I think will be won by the team that imposes it’s style of play. Tamari Key is the pivotal player in my assessment. She needs to take 10 shots in the first half. If she is not a force offensively Mizzou goes small and eats them up.

UT is playing such bad D that I am picking Mizzou

UT has just come unhinged. Bad loss to Auburn, lucky escape with Ark, beatdown by UF, and now a beatdown by UCONN.

You have to ask is something more than basketball going on?

Interesting matchup.

Who guards Horston? Who guards Blackwell? Who does Key guard when Williams is not in the game?

Mizzou is the superior shooting team, #3 in the nation in fg%. UT the superior rebounding team.

It is a game I think will be won by the team that imposes it’s style of play. Tamari Key is the pivotal player in my assessment. She needs to take 10 shots in the first half. If she is not a force offensively Mizzou goes small and eats them up.

Me too. I think the wheels have come off in Knoxville.

Interesting matchup.

I think Horston defends Blackwell unless Mizzou goes small. That changes things. Hope you're right and the Tigers pull it out.

Two good matchups tonight:

LSU @ Ole Miss
Georgia Tech @ NC State

Massey ranks Tech's defense 2nd behind ours. Their offense is ranked 123rd. The Jackets are going try and ugly the game up tonight.

Reactions: winloseortie
I think Horston defends Blackwell unless Mizzou goes small. That changes things. Hope you're right and the Tigers pull it out.

Two good matchups tonight:

LSU @ Ole Miss
Georgia Tech @ NC State

Massey ranks Tech's defense 2nd behind ours. Their offense is ranked 123rd. The Jackets are going try and ugly the game up tonight.
Can tech stop the 3?
Can state not get killed down low?

Tech is brutal on offense. Great defensive team, but don't see them being able to make up the halftime deficit.

A little off topic but Coates just signed to return the WNBA where she will join Tiffany Mitchell. I believe that would put us back to 6 active players and likely at least one more on the way with Henderson.

Coates has a good chance of making the Indy's roster. I watch a lot of Indy's game because of Tiff Mitchell. Would be nice to have someone else to root for

Coates has a good chance of making the Indy's roster. I watch a lot of Indy's game because of Tiff Mitchell. Would be nice to have someone else to root for
They don't have much size besides McCowan so it's a great opportunity. I just hate how underwhelming that franchise though. The biggest question is who do they draft and how it effects Coates ability to stay in the league . They got 3 first round picks and most of the post players in this year's draft don't look like true 5s to compete with Coates.

The biggest potential threat would have been Lee but she said she's coming back to Kansas State next year. All the other potential Centers seem more like PF or too timid to play that position at the next level. Austin, Cunane, Cubaj and ONO. The only person I could see is Stati. Hopefully she gets the break she deserves.

They don't have much size besides McCowan so it's a great opportunity. I just hate how underwhelming that franchise though. The biggest question is who do they draft and how it effects Coates ability to stay in the league . They got 3 first round picks and most of the post players in this year's draft don't look like true 5s to compete with Coates.

The biggest potential threat would have been Lee but she said she's coming back to Kansas State next year. All the other potential Centers seem more like PF or too timid to play that position at the next level. Austin, Cunane, Cubaj and ONO. The only person I could see is Stati. Hopefully she gets the break she deserves.
True, none of this yr centers are strong enough for the position. Coates would be a nice piece alongside McCowan. I thought Cox would flow with Big T but whether it was her injuries or internal sh*t she was waived.

Indy needs so much help is ridiculous. Tamika Cathings has been doing a poor job as GM. She gave bad guaranteed contracts to two washed up players they really should keep their picks and start the franchise over.

Cardoso in Serbia with team Brazil and potentially Amihere in Japan for Team Canada for the week for FIBA World Cup qualifiers. So they'll miss at least the Kentucky and Georgia games.

Cardoso in Serbia with team Brazil and potentially Amihere in Japan for Team Canada for the week for FIBA World Cup qualifiers. So they'll miss at least the Kentucky and Georgia games.
200w.gif

Anyone concerned that Aliyah Boston may not win NPOY because uninformed voters will be over-awed at the video game numbers Caitlin Clark is putting up? She's a great player; I'm not taking that away from her. However, Clark only impacts half the court. Iowa gave up 98 to Michigan last game. And there is some question as to how good defensively the Big Ten is. Clark put up good numbers against Duke and UCF, but no where near the numbers she's putting up in conference play.

The advance stats, which factors in defense, gives Boston a consider edge over Clark. Ayoka Lee is actually 2nd to Boston in PER and win share. But I'm concerned voters may be overwhelmed by offensive stats. Dawn is obviously keeping Boston in until she gets a double-double. It's a bit of an overrated stat, but I understand why coach is doing it. To win NPOY, people making the case for Aliyah are going to need that stat as a talking point. And perhaps it's fair that Boston plays in a game long enough to get a double-double. Clark is really pulling a huge load for Iowa.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Gamekem
Anyone concerned that Aliyah Boston may not win NPOY because uninformed voters will be over-awed at the video game numbers Caitlin Clark is putting up? She's a great player; I'm not taking that away from her. However, Clark only impacts half the court. Iowa gave up 98 to Michigan last game. And there is some question as to how good defensively the Big Ten is. Clark put up good numbers against Duke and UCF, but no where near the numbers she's putting up in conference play.

The advance stats, which factors in defense, gives Boston a consider edge over Clark. Ayoka Lee is actually 2nd to Boston in PER and win share. But I'm concerned voters may be overwhelmed by offensive stats. Dawn is obviously keeping Boston in until she gets a double-double. It's a bit of an overrated stat, but I understand why coach is doing it. To win NPOY, people making the case for Aliyah are going to need that stat as a talking point. And perhaps it's fair that Boston plays in a game long enough to get a double-double. Clark is really pulling a huge load for Iowa.

Thoughts?
Clark is a good player, but she has to put all those points, rebounds & assists just for her team to win and sometimes they still lose. Against Michigan she had 46 points, the next double figure scores were 13 & 11. Michigan had 4 players in double figs.

Yes, at this point Boston's double double stat is just fuel to make her case for the award.

Also how do they categorize a national player? We lose Boston - good chance we can still win the game. Iowa loses Clark they're getting their a*s whopped.

Thoughts?
A media push like last year with Paige could put Caitlin over the edge but I don't see it happening for two reason. One, Dawn isn't having it, she's already putting out the counter narrative out there that Boston has been the best player all season and I'm sure that's gaining traction. The second reason is that they typically give the award to the best player on a top team. Iowa isn't one and they haven't won any noteable games this season despite her amazing scoring.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Yes I am concerned. Good thing Dawn is getting out front on this. To start minimizing Aliyah's accomplishments because she is on the #1 team surrounded by talent is moving the bar. This has never come up for past players. Why is it a factor for Aliyah? Also this award is supposed to be for best player not highest scorer.

Anyone know why Kentucky women do not play at rupp? I am watching now and really surprised it looks like a high school gym.

Another sluggish looking game, missing close shots and throwing the ball away. Henderson not a scoring factor. They can't afford to play that way against UGA. Maybe this is what a week off does to them.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
Ugly a* s dub - but it still counts

Saxton keeps on doing her thing. But someone needs to remind Destanni that she is a senior and a 1st round prospect, thereby she has to score, look for her shot and stop deferring the ball which in turn leads to turnovers.

Rivers is a nice passer, good D, the balls will start falling - I have no doubts. I've been watching her for years, the kid's good.

I knew that rivalry game between Michigan & Mich St would've been good, and it was.
Auburn pushed Arkansas to the brink. The new coach will have them rolling with the big boys sooner rather than later. The Tenn win was no fluke.

Anyone know why Kentucky women do not play at rupp? I am watching now and really surprised it looks like a high school gym.

Adolph Rupp - who Rupp Arena was named after - coached the entirety of his 43 years at Kentucky - coached the final 23 yrs in Memorial Coliseum, where the women now play. The Arena once boasted a total capacity of 12,000, which made it the largest capacity arena in the South initially until it was surpassed by South Carolina's Carolina Coliseum's capacity of 12,401 in 1968. Renovations in 1990 brought the capacity down to its current size of 8,500, which is still substantially larger than most high school gyms.

For home WBB games against high-ranked opponents in the past when UK was highly ranked themselves, at times UK would host them in Rupp Arena......

No Ono.

Last minute scratch. Still, pretty amazing.

They got another game tonight, against DePaul, who is also having a strong season (19-6, 11-3 in BE). CT beat DePaul earlier in the season in Illinois 80-78, so it was toe-to-toe. CT led 54-53 after 3 quarters. Tonight's game will be in CT, but CT looks again to not have Ducharme and Nelson-Ododa available, in addition to Beuckers and Griffin being out.

Will Connecticut lose a 2nd consecutive game??

They got another game tonight, against DePaul, who is also having a strong season (19-6, 11-3 in BE). CT beat DePaul earlier in the season in Illinois 80-78, so it was toe-to-toe. CT led 54-53 after 3 quarters. Tonight's game will be in CT, but CT looks again to not have Ducharme and Nelson-Ododa available, in addition to Beuckers and Griffin being out.

Will Connecticut lose a 2nd consecutive game??
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT