ADVERTISEMENT

$22 Million - NOT Happening!!!

GarnetCocky1

Oct 3, 2015
Look, I think Muschamp is an absolute buffoon and he should be fired. He is a crappy coach and our offense looks like one from Midlands Tech.

However, none of that matters. He has an INSANE buyout at $22 million. We aren't firing him before the season is over, and we aren't firing him once it's finished.

Next year is his last in Columbia. Look for Champ to find a new OC, flame out, and be gone next year.

Just my .2

Reactions: Cock-Vader
Look, I think Muschamp is an absolute buffoon and he should be fired. He is a crappy coach and our offense looks like one from Midlands Tech.

However, none of that matters. He has an INSANE buyout at $22 million. We aren't firing him before the season is over, and we aren't firing him once it's finished.

Next year is his last in Columbia. Look for Champ to find a new OC, flame out, and be gone next year.

Just my .2

He needs more than just a new offensive coordinator...

Did you not see the f'cking game???

We got bitched slapped in every phase of the game...

Just my .2
Peanuts in the grand scheme of it.... Next year the buy out isn't much less than 22... Why wait...

Peanuts in the grand scheme of it.... Next year the buy out isn't much less than 22... Why wait...

Exactly . Factor in a 35% decline in season ticket renewal and merch sales and 22 million is a drop in the bucket . FSU gets it , Arkansas gets it , Florida got it (twice) ... we don’t and probably never will . Football is a social event at USC . Winning is way down the totem pole .

I kinda hope so. Fire RT this year. Allow new AD a year to get acclimated. Fire WM Jan 1 2021. What will the buy out be then?

Just my .2
A couple of points for the ill informed. First the buyout can and is being negotiated. Second any future income he earns offsets. Third there may be cause. Fourth the buyout is nit due at firing and can be paid over time. And last he is being ask to make changes and has told a Tanner no. That may lead to termination with cause. I am guessing we offer about 8 to 10 million lump sum with no offsets. He will take it

Tired of hearing about the buyout. Yes it’s embarrassing but it can’t be a factor.

Next year’s schedule is a joke. Who would be lining up to see a Muschamp coached team play Wofford, Coastal and ECU? You lose your buyout right there in attendance and concessions.

On the other hand, bring in a new guy who brings hope and it’s a different story entirely.

A couple of points for the ill informed. First the buyout can and is being negotiated. Second any future income he earns offsets. Third there may be cause. Fourth the buyout is nit due at firing and can be paid over time. And last he is being ask to make changes and has told a Tanner no. That may lead to termination with cause. I am guessing we offer about 8 to 10 million lump sum with no offsets. He will take it
I hope you are correct but that seems way to logical for this bunch.

That buyout is a drop in the bucket . Why are you guys so worried about it when none of it is coming out of your pockets . They will drag it out forever and pay $100 a month on it just like your Aunt did on her overdue Power bill .

Just my .2
I think this is spot on. Unless we win 6 games and somehow win a 7th with a bowl then he will hang on again.

Solid points. But who is hiring the new coach? Oh, the guy that hired WM. I'm willing to give RT a mulligan depending on baseball season.

Reactions: DeepfriedCock
Reminds me of the scene toward the end of National Treasure when Ben Gates tells the FBI agent, "I'd really like to not go to prison," to which the FBI agent responds, "Somebody's gotta go to prison, Ben."

This season has been such a huge pile of crap, somebody has to be fired. If Tanner is the main person responsible for this huge buyout we have with this DII caliber coach, then he needs to have the axe fall on him. He's such a Carolina legend, they can tactfully do it & usher him out gracefully as "retiring."

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It would be interesting to know which P5 programs, over the last 20 years, have NOT fired a guy after winning 4 games in his 4th year after taking over the program. I'd love to know that and the circumstances. It involves way too much research for me, but I can't imagine it has happened many times, regardless of the buyout.

One other point - if the ONLY thing preventing you from firing an under-performing coach is the size of his buyout, that should be grounds for firing the AD.

Just my .2

I agree, but that kind of staff management is INSANE. We've experienced before what 1-2 screwed-up recruiting years (due to coaching turnover) does to our football program. Sigh! More of the same is on the way, I suppose/

Exactly . Factor in a 35% decline in season ticket renewal and merch sales and 22 million is a drop in the bucket . FSU gets it , Arkansas gets it , Florida got it (twice) ... we don’t and probably never will . Football is a social event at USC . Winning is way down the totem pole .

What are your sources for numbers (35% drop in season ticket sales, and merch sales)? Are those factual, or your estimates!

Do you have inside information on this? Because Mike Gillespie at ABC is reporting that Tanner and Muschamp will more than likely stay through next year. I really hope you're the one that's right though.

Muschamp is doing nothing to give the university an opportunity to fire him for cause (other than just being a terrible football coach).

Not sure what the language in the contract is, but if it says that the AD can demand staff changes even if the HC disagrees, then there is no way Muschamp doesn't submit. I like my friends and employees, but I'm not sacrificing $12M to save their jobs. Plus it's doubtful that would be in the contract and could be considered "cause" anyway.

Muschamp does not have to consent to negotiating. He can keep on working and collect his healthy paychecks. Or they can fire him and collect the full buyout over whatever time frame the terms of the contract dictate. He would be an idiot to accept anything different.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Do you have inside information on this? Because Mike Gillespie at ABC is reporting that Tanner and Muschamp will more than likely stay through next year. I really hope you're the one that's right though.
There is a lot of talk going on. Muschamp is being Muschamp right now meaning stubborn about changes. That may be what gets him fired. I do have some inside sources and they are telling me he has said no to changes.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
There is a lot of talk going on. Muschamp is being Muschamp right now meaning stubborn about changes. That may be what gets him fired. I do have some inside sources and they are telling me he has said no to changes.

Hell, what’s the motivation?

It's actually $18M at the end of this season and he could be asked to restructure, freeing some $$$ to hire a real coordinator, who would not have such large buyout. Who knows, you might even get a decent HC candidate on the staff.

According to USA Sports.

Muschamp is paid 4.4 million per year. His buyout as of 12/1/19 will be $19,437,500. It is based on 75% of his remaining contract. I believe he is paid on the first of every month so it goes down the first of every month. There may be some other year end calculations that go into it, but the buyout drops to 18.5 million in 2020.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I hope you're right on this. If we can cut that buy-out figure by at least half, we need to make a move right after the Clemson game.

Just my .2

You may be correct...We might not pay the 22 MILLION....But I'd sure as hell pay what it takes to get rid of the person that made that deal...........

Exactly! Nothing will change till you deny them access to your wallet!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT