ADVERTISEMENT

25 years ago today, one of the underrated games in the rivalry

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
November 23, 1996. Gamecocks go 'up thar' and pull out a dramatic 34-31 victory. USC pounds out 314 yds on the ground and has 2 backs (Duce Staley who was questionable with an ankle injury before the game),(Troy Hambrick who busted a 75 yd td run on the tater D') each go over 130 yards, and with all that it came down to the Taters kicker missing a last second field goal. It was the 6th straight year the road team had won in the rivalry(a streak that would eventually end at 7 games).

November 23, 1996. Gamecocks go 'up thar' and pull out a dramatic 34-31 victory. USC pounds out 314 yds on the ground and has 2 backs (Duce Staley who was questionable with an ankle injury before the game),(Troy Hambrick who busted a 75 yd td run on the tater D') each go over 130 yards, and with all that it came down to the Taters kicker missing a last second field goal. It was the 6th straight year the road team had won in the rivalry(a streak that would eventually end at 7 games).
Was there. Decided to go the day before on a whim with a buddy (huge Clemson fan). Walked up about 15 mins before kickoff and scored 2 tix at face value in the end zone. My buddy caught the missed field goal. It was a glorious ride home.

My thought was that this game should never have been that close. But, on the other hand, it was a wrenching loss for them - which is the best kind. My thought today is that 25 years sure went by in a hurry.

Apparently I posted on this a couple of years ago.

23 years ago today​

[IMG alt="ScWildthing61"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/southcarolina/data/avatars/m/14/14108.jpg?1609653759[/IMG]

ScWildthing61

Active Member​

One of the best Carolina-Clemson games in the history of the rivalry, in the middle of a rather odd 7 year road winning streak. Taters struck first when Raymond Priester ran 65 yards(don't remember if he scored on the run or was tackled short of the endzone)we responded with Duce Staley scoring, it was 17-13 at halftime, we came out and scored 21 unanswered to go up on the taters 34-17, then they scored twice to cut it to 34-31, it came down to their kicker(can't remember his name) missing a last second field goal. 34-31 good guys. It was the 6th of what would be 7 years where the road team won. We had 2 backs go over 125 yards rushing(Staley and Troy Hambrick) and ran the ball down the throats of a Clemson program that at the time prided itself on power football and strong defense. I think we ran for more yards than them that night and wound up with over 300 yards on the ground(we had a reputation as a finesse team back then) haven't seen us run on Clemson like that before or since.

Yes

Was watching the game at a party with a new girlfriend. When it was over she said "I saw a side of you I've never seen before."

Yep, Carolina Clemson can do that to you. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT