ADVERTISEMENT

3 Red Zone Turnovers ....

Yards, Yards, Yards...that's all fans talk about. 3 most important stats in football (yards are not one of them or top 5-6) are turnovers, red zone efficiency, third/fourth down conversion....if you win those 3 areas it is difficult to lose a football game. While I am not 100% sold our defense is back to what it was, it is clear it is much better than last year. Spurrier play calling and decision making (kick a fg to go up 7) was perplexing but in his defense lots of newbies on offense and it will take him a few games to get a feel for what we can do.

Turnovers 3 to 0---big advantage us (last pick really just a 4th down stop though--they kick if not so late, probably should have anyway)
red zone UNC 2.16 pts per trip, Us 3.33 per trip (both terrible, advantage us)
third/fourth down UNC 5-15 .333, Us 8-17 .470 (hence our TOP advantage)

Last edited:
You are trying to give excuses to us why you gave up almost 500 yrds of offense and 35 points to basically the SAME OFFENSE we played last night... You are in for a rude awakening this season... Don't get lost come the end of November...

This tater attitude that they never lose a game started when Tommy Bowden became their coach and never gave credit to an opponent that BEAT them. Every INT by a player jumping a receiver was "the receiver ran the wrong route", every bad pass that was forced due to pressure it was "so-and-so OL missed a block", every fumble...striped or just dropped was because "runner lost the ball", and throw in bad calls by the ref (like when they claimed Tahji's knee was down on the striped ball in 2013) and you have a perfect team that never looses to anyone, they always beat themselves and you can still claim they are the best team in history.
And it has been indoctrinated well at CU every since, to the point that they even use it on USC. We never win, the other team always gives us the game.

Any fan with 2 functioning brain cells and one that knows anything about football knows that GOOD TEAMS DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKES THAT CU DID IN THE '12 AND '13 GAMES vs USC or the mistakes UNC made last night. And that more times than not when a mistake is made on offense it is due to some reaction from the opposing defense.

These are nothing more than EXCUSES, taters.

But don't let me interrupt your dreamy secluded world of delusion you live in...just keep whistling while you sleep walk.

I love friggin idiots who act like turnovers aren't part of the game. Ask any coach and they'll tell you that usually the team with the fewest turnovers wins. Clemmy sure learned that lesson during their 5 game losing streak. And, clemmy fans, just like some on here, cried about how they have the game away.
I'm with ya. Gamecocks had 0 turnovers is why we won.

Funny, when North Carolina drops a pick six, that is used to talk about how they should've won the game. When South Carolina actually intercepts the ball twice in the red zone, that is viewed as being given something. Silly taters.[/QUO
The taters keep neglecting to mention that Jordan Digg's INT could have been a pick 6 had he not fallen down. I guess they didn't see that play.

... was the difference in the game. We did some good things...like having 0 turnovers...but I fear the outcome was more about NC self-destructing than SC winning the game.

No, last year this would have been a loss.. The boys played hard in the second half instead of folding like a cheap suit..

I want to trash Kentucky next week...

Could it be that NC's QB made "bad decisions" that lead to INT's because our D-Line was in his face forcing the "bad decisions"?

Naaaa, I guess not on this board...

Well, Spurrier said, Moore has a gift for reading the QB. I mean those interceptions by Moore were not his first interceptions in his career. So, USC played a role in helping the uncarolina QB make some bad decisions.

Not from me you wouldn't. It wasn't like it was a DL dropping into coverage in a zone blitz scheme that caught the QB off guard. That would be a situation where I would give the defense more of the credit for forcing the turnover. In this case, it was just a LB dropping into his basic TE drop zone and the QB completely not seeing him.

I don't care what your opinion of the game is or your opinion of our team. I don't want you over here evaluating our game as if you were an expert. Spurrier said last night Moore has a talent for reading the QB. I don't guess you considered that did you? As I stated in another post in this same thread, last night was not Moore's first interceptions. I think it was his 9th career interception so he knows something about dropping into the right coverage.

Skai Moore's job was to spy Williams all night, that is why he was in position to make those INT's. If he does not do his job we lose as both are completed. He was well prepared. Also, everyone remember this is over 90% of the offense that posted 35 against the vaunted East Seneca Tech defense last year... So I would say our defense pretty good, but time will tell. In 3 years, UNC O has been held to below 14 points 3 times (USC x 2, NCST x 1)...

Good point about 10 out of 11 (I think) offensive players returning for UNC. I think many people including myself had forgotten that.

Your defense was good enough to take something that was given to them, and UNC was not. As bad as South Carolina was on defense last year, UNC was even worse. I don't think either team is going to see a huge improvement on that side of the ball this year.

What makes you an expert on how our team is or is not progressing?

Of course turnovers are part of the game. They are the primary reason you won last night. However, turnovers are also unpredictable from week to week and not something you generally want to rely on. If you're looking at an opening game and trying to extrapolate what it might mean for the rest of the season, relying on turnovers in the red zone is a risky proposition. I think the more concerning takeaway would be the 7 YPC that were given up on the ground. It is one game, and there will likely be improvement as the year goes on, but that should certainly be a concern.

Well, it's not your team so what are you concerned about?

Last edited:
Actually, that logic is shared by just about anyone who follows and understands football.

If anyone has little brother syndrome between these two programs, it's the one that's 24 games behind in the W-L record.

Well, we might be 24 games behind in the series but it's because quempsum cheated from the late '70s to the mid '90s.

And let me tell you one other thing if anyone should have the little brother syndrome it is quempsum because every sports program we have is currently better than any of quempsum programs.

... was the difference in the game. We did some good things...like having 0 turnovers...but I fear the outcome was more about NC self-destructing than SC winning the game.
Not only the three redzone turnovers, but the many bad throws to open unc recievers.

Meh... the two interceptions in the end zone were only great defensive plays if you consider catching a ball thrown right into your chest a great defensive play. Both of those INTs were by a linebacker just dropping into his normal zone coverage and the QB just completely did not see him and threw it right in his lap. I would call that more bad offense than good defense.
Your defense was good enough to take something that was given to them, and UNC was not. As bad as South Carolina was on defense last year, UNC was even worse. I don't think either team is going to see a huge improvement on that side of the ball this year.
BS. Every post you made is insanely uninformed. Diggs' pick was a great move to make the QB believe he was covering the inside slant, then faking back out to the outside to make the pick! Moore was in the right place at the right time BECAUSE he knows how to read the QB and sneak into a play when the QB doesn't expect it. He has done it his whole career. He has NINE INTS in a two year (+1 more game now) career! You don't get that many INTS "given" to you, you have to EARN THEM.. Especially at the LB spot! It is not luck, it is not something that just randomly happens from time to time, that is his JOB, it is something he is better at than pretty much any other LB in the nation, and he will probably be on some All American teams by the end of the year because of it... So believe whatever makes you sleep better at night, but we MADE the "luck" that turned into three picks last night. We let their best RB gash us for some yards between the 20s, but when it MATTERED, our D stuffed the run. Their ONE TD we allowed last night was on a pass that was DEFLECTED at the line and UNC was the lucky team on that play that it wasn't batted a little higher or it might have been their 4th pick instead! Anybody claiming not to have seen many signs of improvement on our D last night is just flat CLUELESS or lying and I suspect you are guilty of each in equal parts.

Stop trying to argue with this ps fella. At the end of the day he's just a member of a weird, religious cult which condones beating women. He will fade away if you ignore him.

Yes, I understand the irony of my post.

True, but much of that production came late in the second half when they were already trailing by 3+ TDs. That was also the 4th game of the season rather than the 1st. Defenses are normally ahead of offenses in the first game or two of the year.

Oh yeah, right! I mean you aren't the least bit bias are you? And you are looking at everything very objectively.

Meh... the two interceptions in the end zone were only great defensive plays if you consider catching a ball thrown right into your chest a great defensive play. Both of those INTs were by a linebacker just dropping into his normal zone coverage and the QB just completely did not see him and threw it right in his lap. I would call that more bad offense than good defense.
Skai Moore sure seems to have a lot of QBs throw the ball right to him. He must be invisible to QBs.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Stop trying to argue with this ps fella. At the end of the day he's just a member of a weird, religious cult which condones beating women. He will fade away if you ignore him.

Yes, I understand the irony of my post.

It's fairly easy to see the taters saw the improvement of our defense and they know it will only continue to improve...and they fear this is our first of at least 2 wins over their weak conference.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Short version:

Let me clarify my remarks about the game.

Bottom line: NC blew 3 scoring opportunities ... 2 of them end zone pics!
• We blew 1.
• End result: NC left between 3-17 pts on the field. How much of that did we cause? It's really too early in the season to tell yet.
• We left 3-7 pts on the field.
• NC's decision to take their stud RB out and pass on 3rd and 4th down inside the 10 was insane.
• Were the pics forced by the rush? Maybe. I credit our guys for being in the right place, but let's face it, the NC QB made 3 horrendous throws and there was no reason why they should not have been intercepted.
• This was a very "loseable" game, but our guys executed better especially when the game was on the line, and I am proud of the way we fought.
• If we can get our passing game going more, this could be an interesting season.
• We'll know more after the GA game.

Long version:

• Both teams should have had a pic-6
• Neither team could convert a 4th down when it meant something.
• SC did not capitalize on offense after NC's 1st failed 4th down which was a gamble early in the 2nd half (if I recall). Ultimately it did not hurt them.
• SC's failed attempt in the 4th qtr. could have possibly led to a TD that would have iced the game. Because SC did not convert, they left the door open for NC to score.
• As a result, it took a defensive stand,inside the 10 yard line, to save the game .
• The last 2 plays NC ran (both passes) on 3rd and 4th down at the end of the game totally baffle me. NC took their stud RB (who got them down the field) out of the game. Why he didn't get the ball at least on the 3rd down play is a head scratcher. It reminded me of Bobo's decision NOT to give the ball to Gurly on the goal line in last year's GA game. I also had visions of Spurrier deciding to pass on 1st and 2nd down in OT vs TN last year resulting in 2 sacs when only a FG would have gotten us a tie and forced a 2nd OT.
• Our pass rush was strong compared to last year.
• Our running game looked pretty good for the most part.
• Kicking game was strong.
• Were the pics forced by the rush? Maybe. I credit our guys for being in the right place, but let's face it, the NC QB made 3 horrendous throws and there was no reason why they should not have been intercepted.
• Bottom line: NC blew 3 scoring opportunities ... 2 of them end zone pics!
• We blew 1.
• End result: NC left between 3-17 pts on the field. How much of that did we cause? It's really too early in the season to tell yet.
• We left 3-7 pts on the field.
• This was a very "loseable" game, but our guys executed better especially when the game was on the line, and I am proud of the way we fought.
• If we can get our passing game going more, this could be an interesting season.
• We'll know more after the GA game.

You are one butthurt sob.

Let me state the obvious ... or not so obvious for some of you. Your thumbs don't have any brain matter in them. Try actually thinking for a change, and offer something remotely interesting to read. That would require actually becoming a little educated though. Here's a factoid: If you have the word "butthurt" saved on your phone as a shortcut or used it on FGF, you cannot be helped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT