ADVERTISEMENT

82 Yard Punt The Year I Graduated From High School (Versus Clemson)

Jay used to be the coach at Eastside. And left a few years ago. Whatever happened to him ?

Reactions: awaters488
I was 11 years old at the time. I went with my cousin and his son to little john in clemson to watch the game on close circuit. I bet they were no more than 10 to 15 gamecock fans in the building. Clemson fans would constantly do this annoying cock a doodle cheer and they got in our faces as soon as we got there. They made fun of our kickers short pants all day. When he made that punt everybody went "oooooohh". After we left, me and my cousins had our own rendition of the cock a doodle doo cheer. We were so pumped , we stopped at Dillards sporting goods on our way back through anderson and had shirts made with the score 13 to 9 printed on them. That was a great day!

I was working as a bag boy at Bi-Lo on 291 in Greenville. I would sneak in my car and listen for a minute or so after carrying groceries out. I'll never forget Fulton calling that. It saved the game.

One of the best kicks in USC history. Another Josh Brown fg to give us a victory at Ucheat. A milestone win. Scott Hagler's extra point to beat Clemson at faux death valley. A great Gamecock scored all the points, including fgs in a close loss to N. C. St. Who was he? Other memorable great kicks in USC history anyone???

Student section was in the East Stand down near the South Endzone then. Feltz was right in front of us. I couldn't believe it when the ball left his foot. Tater drive for potential winning TD stalled in front of us, too. QB Billy Lott's 4th & Goal pass from the 5 sailed over the receiver's head in the endzone. I was delirious. Had lost 3 straight to those bastards (was upset up in taterville in '76 & lost heartbreaker in '77 after battling back from a huge halftime deficit & taking a late lead at W-B). This also marked our first 8 win season. I did not want to leave the stadium. Just wanted to keep standing there watching the scoreboard read "13-9" & flashing "8-3". When we did leave the stadium, was handed bumper stickers saying "Carolina 13- Nigeria 9" in reference to the homeland of tates place kicker pilfered from the soccer team...Obed Ariri. Accounted for all of tates that day via 3 FG. You would get beyond toasted for printing something like that now!!

One of the best kicks in USC history. Another Josh Brown fg to give us a victory at Ucheat. A milestone win. Scott Hagler's extra point to beat Clemson at faux death valley. A great Gamecock scored all the points, including fgs in a close loss to N. C. St. Who was he? Other memorable great kicks in USC history anyone???
Field goal to win second Outback bowl-just enough distance.

Yep, that was Daniel Weaver. Had just enough to clear the cross bar.

That’s probably the biggest celebration you’ll ever see for a punt! But situation definitely called for it.

We’ve had a lot of huge kicks in recent years where most fans probably felt we’d miss but we would end up making a 45-50 yard range FG in a big moment of the game.

Elliot Fry’s long FG at Vandy in Muschamp’s first game was huge. Miss that, we lose to them to open his career and it might have been a different story.

Same could be said about Parker White’s kick against La Tech this season. He misses, we lose and the season could’ve went in a completely different direction.

I lived and grew up in the upstate not far from Clemson.

I remember this game but not the punt. I was 10. I was sitting in my parent’s carport, actually in my dad’s Ford Bronco, listening to this game on the radio flipping back and forth between Jim Phillips and Bob Fulton.

If we had a real play by play radio voice, I’d still prefer to listen to the games on the radio. Absent that, the days of being excited to listen to it on radio are long gone.

I was sitting right in front of where the ball was placed down. It was agonizing watching it in the air. It could not have cleared by a lesser distance. Thousands of fans in attendance willed it over, I'm convinced.

Reactions: vacock#
I was in the other end zone watching it sail.

I was sitting on the 45 yard line (West stands), and watched as the Clemson return man turn completely around and start sprinting toward his own goal line. His name escapes me, but he was an excellent player. He almost caught up with the ball, but it sailed just past his finger tips before it hit the ground and took an incredible 1st bounce that carried it down inside the Clemson 5 yard line. If I recall correctly, Clemson drove it down inside our 10 and the D held. I hate to think how the end of the game would have unfolded had that return man actually caught the punt in the air. I think the ball rolled 20 yards from that 1st bounce.

I was sitting on the 45 yard line (West stands), and watched as the Clemson return man turn completely around and start sprinting toward his own goal line. His name escapes me, but he was an excellent player. He almost caught up with the ball, but it sailed just past his finger tips before it hit the ground and took an incredible 1st bounce that carried it down inside the Clemson 5 yard line. If I recall correctly, Clemson drove it down inside our 10 and the D held. I hate to think how the end of the game would have unfolded had that return man actually caught the punt in the air. I think the ball rolled 20 yards from that 1st bounce.
I recall saying if he had punted only 70 yds we might have lost but we held.

OK. Again who was the Gamecock who scored all the points in a close loss to N. C. St. His points included tds, extra pts. and Fg. Think I'm right on this. Too lazy to look it up though.

Or the OP. If I booted an 82 yarder to beat Clemson I’d post a video of it every day!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT