ADVERTISEMENT

A LOT whining on here about what MARTIN needs to do

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
Let's be real for a second- he has a young team with less talent than most of our opponents, but BECAUSE of Martin, we have been in position to win every game we have played this year. The PLAYERS are the ones out there driving the lane and FALLING OVER, or missing easy LAYUPS, bricking free throws and making stupid fouls that get them put on the bench. I am not sitting there watching practices, but I can assure you MARTIN does nothing to encourage those types of mistakes. It is frustrating to watch this team piss away late game opportunities and miss easy shots that could have won those games for us, but I don't see much that indicates it is due to poor coaching. I see a bunch of average players and a few good one splaying as a team with a clear defensive scheme they were TAUGHT to play that helps keep us in position to win games. What hurts us is our boys don't have the talent to score enough to win at the crucial points in the games when we need a leader to step up. Just my assessment.

Nicely said. Coaches get too much praise as geniuses when things go good, and get the label of the idiot when things go bad. Case in point, Steve Spurrier. To most on here he was some sort of coaching god during the three year run. Then he lost a lot of talent and was suddenly an idiot play caller, who had seen the game pass him by. If anyone cares to remember Coach K struggled mightily at Duke his first three years. Was far from a genius, and many wanted him fired. Then he got talented players in and suddenly was the guru that had all the answers. Same deal with Frank. He is a good coach, but he is only as good as his talent takes him.

Exactly... Our players are getting better, but the best ones are all freshmen and sophomores! They are going to make mistakes and be inconsistent. As this team continues to get better players and the best ones we have continue to get more experience... We can hope they make fewer mistakes and let fewer games like last night slip away.

Obviously Martin is not going to completely avoid blame if his team struggles, nor should he. There have to be things we can do to keep from losing games late, but from what I have seen the main problems have been missed shots and comparable mistakes by individuals not some clear identifiable coaching error or problems with our scheme. The defense is the clearest sign of what they have been taught by our coach IMO- and our D is generally STOUT. About as good as you can expect in basketball today where they call a foul if you so much as breathe on the guy with the ball. Our offense seems to have a decent plan in place most of the time- they pass the ball and try to drive the lane to create shots on the outside when they should... The problems come when our guys throw the ball out of bounds instead of to the other players on our team. Or, when they drive the lane and FALL OVER, or they miss the layup after driving the lane or they drive, get an open guy outside, kick it back for a wide open three and MISS IT... Or they draw the foul they were looking for and brick the free throws... It is hard for me to blame those things on the coach. That is my main point here.

Thornwell, Chat and Notice are apparently the only real consistent scoring threats and Notice and Thornwell have been struggling with their shots and with foul trouble in all of our SEC games so far.

I was glad to see Stroman play a lot more last night, he has potential, but doesn't seem to have a good outside shot.

I just don't see much scoring potential outside of those guys. Until we find a couple guys who can hit an open three, and another inside threat (COME ON HENRY!!! WE NEED YOU TO STEP UP!), we are going to struggle wo win these close games. We are not going to outmatch many SEC teams with the talent we have. We need to keep battling on D, fighting for boards and PRAY SOMEONE FIGURES OUT HOW TO FREAKING OUT THE ROCK IN THE HOLE!!!

Dawn Staley has written the blueprint on basketball success at USC and if you guys will remember, the same things were said about her in her 3rd season and then in the 4th we went to the NCAAT and made the Sweet Sixteen. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pearl is taking shortcuts and will likely have Auburn on probation in a few years.

FINALLY -- some posters with a basketball IQ over 1. Martin is the coach to get it done. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind he will make this into a winning program. Great points by all.

The Coach K and Coach Staley comparisons don't really hold up when you consider that they both played in much more competitive league than this year's (men's) SEC. Arkansas lost yesterday, so there may only be one ranked SEC team this week (if your conference is going to have only one ranked team, though, it might as well be that one).

So I don't think it unreasonable to expect the team to finish at least .500 in conference, especially considering how the team performed against Okie State and Iowa State. And I still believe it's possible: right now we're 1-3 with 2 games against Kentucky, which means we're probably going to have to pick up a couple of wins on the road. No reason we can't.

I believe in no excuses. We have a team that is struggling with their jump shots. But due to coaching and the team buying into team defense this team has been in every game this year, except Ole Miss. Can u prove otherwise?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:
More and more excuses for Martin.
What's really puzzling is some of the most staunch Martin supporters are some of the hardest Spurrier critics.

I've said all along I'll reserve comment until the season is over. But since these threads are already starting and in light of the fact that in all likelihood this team isn't making the tourney and most likely won't make the NIT...despite the early season enthusiasm of some fans around here...I'll just say that the team has improved in some areas and it's obvious the coaching staff is making progress with Martin's core group of players he's had for 2 years.

But the team is still a year, a couple of perimeter shooters and another solid post player away. In no way do I agree with anyone dogging out players to defend the coaches the way the OP did here. He is right on a lot of what he says, but he shouldn't lay all blame on the players to give the coaches a pass. He ignores the fact that one reason the players are making mistakes late in the game as he points out is lack of quality depth. We all know who are better players are and we all know they are still young. They need another year of conditioning. Even then they won't be able to go 40 full minutes without a breather. And as of now Martin doesn't have enough quality depth to spare them. And that leads to missing open shots, bad decisions, and more costly fouls.

And to the a-hole calling out people for not knowing the sport...I'll just keep it light as say I LOL. It's always funny when someone's only defense is claiming others "don't know the game". Must make you feel 10 tall with brass nads, huh?

Originally posted by pepsicock:
Funny you only post after a loss
This post was edited on 1/18 3:51 PM by pepsicock
Funny you edited your original comment.

Funny this is the first time I've posted about men's basketball this season. Don't let that fact ruin your assumption.

Why post? There's the pumpers and the realists on this board and posts aren't going to change that.

I'm not a fan of Martin. We passed on GM who I wanted.

I've stated multiple times on why I didn't like the Martin hire. His dirty actions in high school coaching, his sideline antics, riding Huggins coattails, and never successfully taking a team from the bottom up on his own.

Funny this is the first time I've posted about men's basketball this season. Don't let that fact ruin your assumption.

Why post? There's the pumpers and the realists on this board and posts aren't going to change that.

I've stated multiple times on why I didn't like the Martin hire. His dirty actions in high school coaching, his sideline antics, riding Huggins coattails, and never successfully taking a team from the bottom up on his own.
News flash : Gregg Marshall did not want to come here . Get over it.

He needs a full five years before we can even pass judgement. We are probably the worst or one of the worst college basketball programs in the NCAA. A lot of programs could be turned quicker but I don't believe we are one of those programs. We are a complete mess and have been for a long time.

I am not a coach, but I would dedicate half the practices to shooting. Place a defender in front of them and make them make at least 50% of those shots. Same thing with layups and foul shooting drills. There's no excuse in missing that many 10-15 ft. jumpers. Use the backboard on inside shots.

This post was edited on 1/18 6:43 PM by Garnet chicken

Originally posted by Garnet chicken:
I am not a coach, but I would dedicate half the practices to shooting. Place a defender in front of them and make them make at least 50% of those shots. Same thing with layups and foul shooting drills. There's no excuse in missing that many 10-15 ft. jumpers. Use the backboard on inside shots.

This post was edited on 1/18 6:43 PM by Garnet chicken
Problem is that either you can shoot or you can't. Shooting is a combination of skill and "want to". You have to want to stay after practice for an extra hour of shooting. We are getting kids open.

Originally posted by cockhornleghorn:
Dawn Staley has written the blueprint on basketball success at USC and if you guys will remember, the same things were said about her in her 3rd season and then in the 4th we went to the NCAAT and made the Sweet Sixteen. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pearl is taking shortcuts and will likely have Auburn on probation in a few years.
This^^^^^

I was thinking the same thing the other night about Dawn, how it took her several years to build this program... Martin is in his 3rd year after having Horn chasing away great players after he was fired... I'll give Horn credit, he could recruit great players, he just couldn't coach them...

This year's team will go to the NIT, and next year we'll have a chance to play in the NCAA's... Unless we get on a hot streak this year, that might change...

I will say this, if we are not in the NCAA by Martin's 5th year at Carolina, then we need to revisit Martin's coaching style.... I don't think that will be the case...

News flash : Gregg Marshall did not want to come here . Get over it.
first, can you explain the "turning around a microwave" comment?

second, Marshall, yes the same guy you repeatedly dogged for not turning around Wichita overnight, did want the USC job when we hired your last favorite coach, Darrin horn. That's a fact.

and no, I don't think martin should be fired, so don't even start with that.

Big difference in turning a womens program vs a mens program around.

Talent base for mens runs much deeper than for womens hoops.

A mens team should be (with the right recruiting) showing major improvement within 3 years and a ton of improvement by the 4th season.

Martin needs to get on the stick with regards to the recruiting of bigs to have this program at least in the Top 30 of the nation.

Originally posted by Carolina Cat:
Big difference in turning a womens program vs a mens program around.

Talent base for mens runs much deeper than for womens hoops.

A mens team should be (with the right recruiting) showing major improvement within 3 years and a ton of improvement by the 4th season.

Martin needs to get on the stick with regards to the recruiting of bigs to have this program at least in the Top 30 of the nation.
Just not going to happen here. History shows that. Eddie got it going but he has really been the exception. Of course in year 5 he went down in flames.

Originally posted by Gamecock Lifer:
Let's be real for a second- he has a young team with less talent than most of our opponents, but BECAUSE of Martin, we have been in position to win every game we have played this year. The PLAYERS are the ones out there driving the lane and FALLING OVER, or missing easy LAYUPS, bricking free throws and making stupid fouls that get them put on the bench. I am not sitting there watching practices, but I can assure you MARTIN does nothing to encourage those types of mistakes. It is frustrating to watch this team piss away late game opportunities and miss easy shots that could have won those games for us, but I don't see much that indicates it is due to poor coaching. I see a bunch of average players and a few good one splaying as a team with a clear defensive scheme they were TAUGHT to play that helps keep us in position to win games. What hurts us is our boys don't have the talent to score enough to win at the crucial points in the games when we need a leader to step up. Just my assessment.
good thing we dont have to rely on your assessment.....we have a good team and i would be very surprised if we werent in every game we played until the end of the season....these guys play hard....especially defensively....we are light yrs away from last yr....sorry i slightly disagreed with u

This post was edited on 1/20 12:09 AM by usaguy40

Frank Martin and the team just needs to win.

Whether or not they can do that I don't have a clue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT