ADVERTISEMENT

Aliyah Boston wins Lisa Leslie Award

Best freshman of Dawn Staley era? A'ja , Boston or Tiffany Mitchell? Tough question if you think thru all the metrics.

Wonder why she was the #3 prospect in America coming out of high school...goes to show those rankings don't mean squat...She obviously was #1..

Rhyne Howard at UK who is a 1st Team All American was ranked #32 coming out of high school per ESPN. I wonder if they really scout these kids to come up with an accurate ranking.

Best freshman of Dawn Staley era? A'ja , Boston or Tiffany Mitchell? Tough question if you think thru all the metrics.
I have to give Boston the nod for best freshman year out of the 3. Mitchell started as a freshman if I recall and was good, but not yet superwoman. She became superwoman as a sophomore when she won player of the year in the SEC. Aja had really good numbers as a freshman - like 13 pts/6.5 rebounds. But she didn't start and didn't have to be great because USC was so deep that year. She and Coates came off the bench. Boston was a starter and had to do well as the #1 option on offense for USC to be successful to open up everything else, and of course she was an outstanding shotblocker.... so who had the best freshman year? I say Boston.

Tiff doesn’t make the cut.
Averaged 9.2ppg shot 38% from the field and 61% ft. Had 42 assists and 83 turnovers. She made the huge leap in her sophomore season.

Boston had a better statistical season in every major category except scoring 12.5 to 13.1 She had more rebounds, offensive and defensive, blocks, and steals. Better shooting % from field and ft. She had fewer turnovers. Boston is a much better defender as a Fr. and has a better grasp of team D and has a more diverse offensive game as a Fr.
That said, if she can match A’ja senior year there will banners everywhere in the rafters

I have to give Boston the nod for best freshman year out of the 3. Mitchell started as a freshman if I recall and was good, but not yet superwoman. She became superwoman as a sophomore when she won player of the year in the SEC. Aja had really good numbers as a freshman - like 13 pts/6.5 rebounds. But she didn't start and didn't have to be great because USC was so deep that year. She and Coates came off the bench. Boston was a starter and had to do well as the #1 option on offense for USC to be successful to open up everything else, and of course she was an outstanding shotblocker.... so who had the best freshman year? I say Boston.
Beat me to it, you must type much better than my two fingers:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT