ADVERTISEMENT

So Impressed with Aliyah Boston

Jan 1, 2005
Obviously enough words have been said about Aliyah the player, her career stands on its own merit. I was always impressed with her as a person as well in every interview conducted, the way other coachs, commentators, fans, rivals etc all spoke of her with admiration. But I was most impressed in the 30-90 seconds after the loss to Iowa. So many players in all spors nowadays show what I refere to as fake emotion. They know the cameras and eyes are on them and they cry and act downtrodden at the end of a season beause it is attention seeking behavior. I do think sometimes it is genuine, by the cynic in me feels often times it is not. Boston showed outstanding character in the immediate aftermath of a crushing defeat ending a dream season. She found some of her teammates who were emotional and hugged them and whispered to them, and the most impressive thing she did was gather all of her teammates as quickly as she could to line them up to shake hands and congratulate the Iowa team. Her display of sporstmanship and character should not go unnoticed in today's sports landscape. I coach boy's high school basketball and recorded that clip and sent it to my players. As if she didn't alright have a fan for life beacuse of her play, her character is now something I appreciate even more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT