ADVERTISEMENT

Always wondered why hitters almost always let a perfect pitch

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
go by for strike 1? I get you want to make a pitcher work. But it’s usually the best pitch you see. Why don’t more hitters look to sit on a certain pitch and if it’s there smack it?

Some just don’t want to swing at first pitch.

go by for strike 1? I get you want to make a pitcher work. But it’s usually the best pitch you see. Why don’t more hitters look to sit on a certain pitch and if it’s there smack it?

Reactions: Judson1
You might want to look at Gamecock baseball last year. We would get runners on with walks with the pitcher struggling and the next batter up swings at the first pitch into a weak out. As a hitter unless it was a great pitch I could handle, I made the pitcher throw that first pitch and then you are ready.

I agree. I have never understood why, when it is a 3-0 count, the batter almost never swings. Usually the pitch is right down the middle and he won't get a better pitch to hit.

You might want to look at Gamecock baseball last year. We would get runners on with walks with the pitcher struggling and the next batter up swings at the first pitch into a weak out. As a hitter unless it was a great pitch I could handle, I made the pitcher throw that first pitch and then you are ready.

If he’s struggling I totally agree. I was referring to these major league guys I watched last night. One in particular for Houston. They were saying how he’s so unhittable. And his stuff was nasty. But he almost always put one down the middle on the first pitch. I know every situation is different. But the majority of hitters seemingly concede that first pitch in hope of a ball.

If he’s struggling I totally agree. I was referring to these major league guys I watched last night. One in particular for Houston. They were saying how he’s so unhittable. And his stuff was nasty. But he almost always put one down the middle on the first pitch. I know every situation is different. But the majority of hitters seemingly concede that first pitch in hope of a ball.
Part of it is probably setting your mind right with the timing. You can watch him throw from the dugout all night, but the one coming right at you is your best judge of the actual speed you'll see. Call it a fine tuning calibration for the at bat, if you will.

Some hitters get more and more comfortable as they get deeper into the at bat. I always liked to work the count, especially batting lead off. The more you see, the more you know about the pitcher.

Plus it obviously helps to get his pitch count up to wear a good picher down. Hopefully, his pitches will flatten out later in the game.

Of course, every situation can be a little different. If he's starting off down the middle fast ball over and over, by all means let it rip. Most good pitchers, won't make it that easy.

Reactions: Judson1
Part of it is probably setting your mind right with the timing. You can watch him throw from the dugout all night, but the one coming right at you is your best judge of the actual speed you'll see. Call it a fine tuning calibration for the at bat, if you will.

Bingo...it’s timing. It is what makes a great hitter. Big strong guys top or hit under pitches if they can’t time a pitch to adjust their swing. Swing planes don’t change much unless you are chasing off speed stuff. How bout that JBJ?

You just answered your own question.
Scouting may indicate a pitchers first pitch to a RH will be a cutter, so you wait for it, instead a fastball is thrown, could be vice versa.
Your waiting for a certain pitch based on the count.

LOL
I agree. I have never understood why, when it is a 3-0 count, the batter almost never swings. Usually the pitch is right down the middle and he won't get a better pitch to hit.

Perhaps, it's because a Walk is as Good as a Hit. And even if that 4th pitch is a called strike, you still have at least two more opportunities to get the walk or the pitch you are looking for. Remember, not every good hitter wants one 'right down the middle'.

LOL

Perhaps, it's because a Walk is as Good as a Hit. And even if that 4th pitch is a called strike, you still have at least two more opportunities to get the walk or the pitch you are looking for. Remember, not every good hitter wants one 'right down the middle'.
And even the best hitters only get a hit less than a third of the time...

Last edited:
Reactions: The Garnet Baron
I've seen Gamecock fans complain about too many first pitch swings, while at the same time complaining about too many watching the first pitch.

Of course if the pitcher has thrown 4 straight balls to the guy before you, for the love of all things baseball, don't swing at the first pitch. MAKE HIM WORK. It really irritates me when our batters mess up our "BALL 5" chant.

Reactions: vacock# and gcock5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT