ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one who does not follow music AT ALL?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
I know literally nothing about any current music. If you put a million bucks in front of me, I could not name 5 current songs and I’d be hard-pressed to come up with 5 current performers (is Beyoncé considered current?). My music knowledge doesn’t go past the 90s, and it’s spotty before then. I’ve just never been heavy into music and I’ve always been kind of mystified by those who are. A great friend of mine in grad school had thousands of songs on his computer. I was always amazed since I couldn’t name 1000 songs if you gave me 100 years.

I’m right there with you. I haven’t listened to current music/radio in years. Ever since I got a car with SiriusXM two years ago, it doesn’t take more than two hands to count the number of times I’ve had it on terrestrial radio. Between satellite and my phone, I’m good to go.

Over the years my wife and I amassed a huge collection of classical music on cds and that still rests in a room in my house. I have not listened to music since I was in my fifties, and I think my wife quit much later but she quit also nevertheless. Have no idea why either one of us gave up a lifelong habit like that.

I remember telling the Middle Easterners that I worked with that I never listened to music and had no interest in it. That left them as thunderstruck as when I told them that I did not particularly care for the company of children.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I’m right there with you. I haven’t listened to current music/radio in years. Ever since I got a car with SiriusXM two years ago, it doesn’t take more than two hands to count the number of times I’ve had it on terrestrial radio. Between satellite and my phone, I’m good to go.

I did the Sirius thing a couple years ago for my work commute here b/c I do like oldies (50s/60s) and 80s/90s country. But I found that I was hearing the same songs multiple times a week while there were other songs I rarely or never heard. I don't know if they have contracts to play certain artists/songs more or less or whatnot. At one point, I heard "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys 3 times in one week. So I ended up dropping it. We do have Amazon Music on our phones to play kids music and I find that does as well if I ever do get a hankering for some oldies or something.

Reactions: F-86F and SCexpat38
I did the Sirius thing a couple years ago for my work commute here b/c I do like oldies (50s/60s) and 80s/90s country. But I found that I was hearing the same songs multiple times a week while there were other songs I rarely or never heard. I don't know if they have contracts to play certain artists/songs more or less or whatnot. At one point, I heard "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys 3 times in one week. So I ended up dropping it. We do have Amazon Music on our phones to play kids music and I find that does as well if I ever do get a hankering for some oldies or something.

I would think it’s a little unreasonable to expect not to hear the same song in a week. Oldies and other stations are pulling from the most popular songs of that era. Then Sirius records most of its shows and plays them on a loop. It bothers you that bad to listen to the same song 3 times in a week? Hell sometimes I get stuck on a song and might listen to it 20 times in a day.

I would think it’s a little unreasonable to expect not to hear the same song in a week. Oldies and other stations are pulling from the most popular songs of that era. Then Sirius records most of its shows and plays them on a loop. It bothers you that bad to listen to the same song 3 times in a week? Hell sometimes I get stuck on a song and might listen to it 20 times in a day.

Well, there were tons of great songs I wasn't hearing. In my whole life I may have heard "Elvira" 10 times, so hearing 3 times in a week, seemed to be overkill.

Wife and I listen to a lot of music, always on in the evening when we're grilling. Hardly anything that's current. Me, it's mostly classic rock, southern rock, and country up until the 90's. I have a few Jamey Johnson, Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs, Eric Church, and Riley Green, but I don't listen to a vast majority of "pop" country. Her, she's into the Billy Joel, Barry Manilow, Chicago, Styx, things of that nature. We have a wide mix of things, and it's all good.

Speaking of music, we had plans to fly to Vegas in November to see Manilow. Already had stage tickets bought. She's always wanted to see him in concert (me, I couldn't care less..lol). We are cancelling everything now, due to restrictions and requirements. I guess we'll just sit on our porch and listen to him, fire up the grill, and let the rest of the world keep doing what they're doing. :cool:

I know literally nothing about any current music. If you put a million bucks in front of me, I could not name 5 current songs and I’d be hard-pressed to come up with 5 current performers (is Beyoncé considered current?). My music knowledge doesn’t go past the 90s, and it’s spotty before then. I’ve just never been heavy into music and I’ve always been kind of mystified by those who are. A great friend of mine in grad school had thousands of songs on his computer. I was always amazed since I couldn’t name 1000 songs if you gave me 100 years.
That really sucks OP. Sorry about your disability

Music is an essential in my life. One of the best mood enhancers there is. It also helps your mind stay in the present, rather than ruminate about useless things over and over. It also activates the vagus nerve (vibrations) which runs throughout the body and has profound impact on your nervous system. (parasympathetic)

Services like Spotify and Pandora are great as it allow you to explore new music based on your musical taste, and from any generation. SiriusXM is very good as well.

I find old music good for reminiscing; new music for drive and motivation.

Been involved with music since my very early childhood. Listening, playing, recording, etc
For me it's like oxygen, could not live without it. I'm always seeking new and different artists I've never heard before, from just about every genre.
I can't say I like everything, but I like a lot more than not.

As for not listening, or just listening to one genre, I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Dua Lipa
Doja Cat
SZA

that will hold you over for a while
I’m 52 and have recently discovered Dua Lipa and Dojacat (also Olivia Rodrigo) I really don’t care for some of the vulgar lyrics, but the music really grabs me.
That having been said, I’m like others here; I listen to and enjoy old country, new country, hair metal, pop, 80’s, some rap, smooth jazz….. darn near everything!
I think there’s a deep connection between music and the soul.

I am a classic rock , Southern rock, Jimmy Buffet , country music , bluegrass kind of guy. I like a bunch of today's stuff like Adele, Bruno Mars, Gaga, Pink and others. I don't listen to stuff that the lyrics include f this mf that or WAP. As a Christian, i don't use those words and don't like them spoken. I listen to smooth jazz and some new age stuff while relaxing or working at home. I too have SiriusXM and flip through the channels. I listen to their yacht rock channel to hear their announcements (they caricature the concept of yachts)

You're not the only one, to each his own, but for me going to a concert would be a gigantic waste of time. I would much rather be at a football or basketball game. I also make it a point to skip the Superbowl halftime show every year. Football and Basketball the loyalty to your team is forever, whereas with music what's considered popular right now will be considered old in two years. If I have the radio on in my car at all, it's on a sports station.

I have over 1500 LPS on my wall. I am a music junkie. I am not qualified to understand your point of view. I spend hours flipping through old records to find a fix. It never ends. I always find more albums that I do not have yet and dutifully leave my hard earned money at Papa Jazz like I have been doing since ‘81 or thereabouts every two weeks or so. If you have avoided this vice so far, I might stay away. It is addictive.

I do not know much of the new pop or country music that is out either. I stick mostly in the 90’s and earlier but do pick up some later stuff as it suits me. I picked up a Drive By Truckers album recently that I dig for example.

I am mostly into Jazz, Metal and Bluegrass, but listen to many different styles.

I have over 1500 LPS on my wall. I am a music junkie. I am not qualified to understand your point of view. I spend hours flipping through old records to find a fix. It never ends. I always find more albums that I do not have yet and dutifully leave my hard earned money at Papa Jazz like I have been doing since ‘81 or thereabouts every two weeks or so. If you have avoided this vice so far, I might stay away. It is addictive.

I do not know much of the new pop or country music that is out either. I stick mostly in the 90’s and earlier but do pick up some later stuff as it suits me. I picked up a Drive By Truckers album recently that I dig for example.

I am mostly into Jazz, Metal and Bluegrass, but listen to many different styles.
You and I can hang, Brother.

I love music. Spotify Premium is one of the best investments I've ever made, considering the cost-benefit analysis.

I'll listen to a ton of different genres and years, but like the OP, I would be hard-pressed to name current mainstream songs or artists. To my point, I generally have to google the super bowl halftime artist since I've not heard of them before...

I totally agree with you OP on the current state of music. I couldn't name 10 top songs. My top several that are on constant repeat are Heartcry of David, Joshua Aaron, Jeremy Camp and some occasional Shai Linne.

I cannot remember when music was not a part of my life. I go to sleep with a song in my head, dream with music playing and wake up with a song. Sometimes it’s annoying playing the same song over and over, but a little live music can change the tune. Sounds weird I know, but it doesn’t interfere with anything and most people have no idea I have this going on.

There is really no genre I don’t like. Currently and probably for a while I’m in to Americana. John Prine, Guy Clark, Jason Isbell, Steve Earle, etc. Singer songwriters are my favorites with heavy emphasis on the lyrics. Good topic, thanks for letting me be cathartic.

I semi kinda almost like a couple of those what's his name? The weekend songs

Classical, Easy Listening and old soft rock for me. Nothing modern. On the other hand, I love Dreams by Van Halen.

I cannot remember when music was not a part of my life. I go to sleep with a song in my head, dream with music playing and wake up with a song. Sometimes it’s annoying playing the same song over and over, but a little live music can change the tune. Sounds weird I know, but it doesn’t interfere with anything and most people have no idea I have this going on.

There is really no genre I don’t like. Currently and probably for a while I’m in to Americana. John Prine, Guy Clark, Jason Isbell, Steve Earle, etc. Singer songwriters are my favorites with heavy emphasis on the lyrics. Good topic, thanks for letting me be cathartic.
First time I ever heard of Guy Clark, I was at a concert and he was opening for Nanci Griffith. Became an instant fan.
BTW: Love your post.

Reactions: joebuckusc
I don't follow current music in any way. I like rock. New rock sucks. I only know Greta Van Fleet because my daughter likes them. They don't suck. But they're a Led Zeppelin clone. Once I told her that she got in to Zeppelin too. I've tried to break her into Black Sabbath, but she says they're boring. She does like Thin Lizzy.

Hank_Hill.png

"Today's music, I'll tell you hwat!"

Predominately 70’s, some 80’s, smattering of 90’s and Broadway. Yes, Broadway. My wife and I perform with the community theatre here when we can.

Reactions: F-86F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT