ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance this week one of the local radio talking heads

mUSiC-man

Oct 10, 2003
takes up the cause to clean house in the Gamecock athletic department, starting with the AD? Or will it be another week of "I don't disagree with what you are saying, but," "I don't know, I just don't know y'all", or "my nuts hurt from straddling the fence on the subject!"

Reactions: FightinRooster
takes up the cause to clean house in the Gamecock athletic department, starting with the AD? Or will it be another week of "I don't disagree with what you are saying, but," "I don't know, I just don't know y'all", or "my nuts hurt from straddling the fence on the subject!"
One of them did ask Muschamp why he thought he was close after such a bad season. That was one of the times he got his feelings hurt.

The folks that need to take up the cause are the 5-10 or so top donating Gamecock Club members. We need their voice right now.

Reactions: Goose cock
Kornblut won't do it. He's highly protective of Tanner.

I dont see many of the radio guys taking up the banner to clean house. They will all straddle the fence as they want to stay in good terms with all in USC athletics. If they take a stand, and then everyone is still in place, they may not be high on the list to get access like they may have enjoyed

I dont see many of the radio guys taking up the banner to clean house. They will all straddle the fence as they want to stay in good terms with all in USC athletics. If they take a stand, and then everyone is still in place, they may not be high on the list to get access like they may have enjoyed
No doubt. Phil doesn't want to lose his press pass

Nope. The school has shown that you’ll be fired if you don’t toe the line.

I can hear them now.
“You knew you were gonna get beaten badly last weekend, so why is everyone mad? Clemson is the best team in the country. It takes time people. The defense held Clemson to under 40 points”

No chance. Ever since The State cut off Ron Morris' balls at the demand of Spurrier, no one has the guts.
No one we have at the University now has the kind of clout Spurrier had. My question is this: what if one of the talking heads DID come on the air with a clean-house rant? What difference would it make? People aren't going to be more upset than they already are. We're at saturation.

No one we have at the University now has the kind of clout Spurrier had. My question is this: what if one of the talking heads DID come on the air with a clean-house rant? What difference would it make? People aren't going to be more upset than they already are. We're at saturation.
IF that happened, I think it would be a lot harder for the administration to write off the angry fans as just a "vocal minority," like they always try to do.

But I doubt anyone really goes that far. The closest I could see is Pearson Fowler and/or Jay Philips continuing to ask the tough questions Ray and Co. are always trying to dodge.

No chance. Ever since The State cut off Ron Morris' balls at the demand of Spurrier, no one has the guts.
Please, let's not try to make a martyr out of MoRon. That jackass did everything in his power to make our University and it's athletic programs look bad. If he were still here, he would be lobbying to give Muschamp 3-4 more years.

This the problem, they lose their sources and access. I don’t know this, but I suspect they often get friendly with these guys they are reporting on and thus protective.

One would hope it would put pressure on the administration to make a move sooner than later.

Please, let's not try to make a martyr out of MoRon. That jackass did everything in his power to make our University and it's athletic programs look bad. If he were still here, he would be lobbying to give Muschamp 3-4 more years.
That's irrelevant, IMO. You can't pick and choose based on whether you agree if you want non-homer reporting.

If he deserved reprimanding due to his reporting and it was not done, that is on the editors. The feud between him and Spurrier had been going on for some time, yet The State did nothing. They didn't just have the scales fall from their eyes when Spurrier demanded change. They caved in to threats from USC to revoke their access. That, IMO, sent a clear message to the local media.

IF that happened, I think it would be a lot harder for the administration to write off the angry fans as just a "vocal minority," like they always try to do.

But I doubt anyone really goes that far. The closest I could see is Pearson Fowler and/or Jay Philips continuing to ask the tough questions Ray and Co. are always trying to dodge.
I think the local media has zero influence on people who have it made for life if they choose to have it their way.

If our media wasn't glad we have a loser at HC then they'd treat Muschamp like Bowden....

Kornblut: Coach, in your heart of hearts, why do think you should be allowed to make a 6th offensive coordinator hire when the first 5 were utter and complete failures?

Would only be fair but of course Kornblut is happy with the current state of affairs as are the rest of the local media, John Whittle etc.

That's irrelevant, IMO. You can't pick and choose based on whether you agree if you want non-homer reporting.

If he deserved reprimanding due to his reporting and it was not done, that is on the editors. The feud between him and Spurrier had been going on for some time, yet The State did nothing. They didn't just have the scales fall from their eyes when Spurrier demanded change. They caved in to threats from USC to revoke their access. That, IMO, sent a clear message to the local media.
It went far beyond his disputes with Spurrier. He went after Holtz relentlessly. The only coaches he took up for were the ones that were losing a lot. Remember, he wasn't a beat reporter, he was an opinion columnist. What got him in trouble wasn't that he was just negative about USC. The State was just fine with that.

What got him in trouble was he started printing absolute BS fact, when there was absolutely nothing to corroborate it, i.e. saying Spurrier "poached" Bruce Ellington from the basketball team.

That kind of will and should get any journalist in trouble.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
You'll know BOOM! is done for when you hear Jay Philips say on the radio broadcast that it's time to move on. He, Tommy and Heath did take a tough stance after some of the debacles this season. But then Ray came on Jay's show and pledged his unwavering gratitude to WM for all he's done, is doing and will do for USC and Jay toed the company line thereafter. If BMac is not at least demoted by Monday, they'll probably say "some things have to change with our offense". I think we all know the OC is not the real issue. All these OCs can do very little on BOOM!'s staff. What is the constant variable. BMac has to pay the price because BOOM!'s buyout is too high.

I’ll be surprised if any of them even mention the game.
Is there some soccer to discuss?

Jay: You know, Tommy, the Lady G's are off to a very good start.

Tommy: In 1923 Scooter O'Brien became the first baseball player to get hit by his own line drive while trying to stretch it into a double.

Heath: You're all idiots if you think the worst USC FB HC since the last worst HC should be fired for an unmitigated disaster in year 4 of a pretty-much complete rebuild with all the players he recruited. You callers' stupidity astounds me!

Or something like that.

It went far beyond his disputes with Spurrier. He went after Holtz relentlessly. The only coaches he took up for were the ones that were losing a lot. Remember, he wasn't a beat reporter, he was an opinion columnist. What got him in trouble wasn't that he was just negative about USC. The State was just fine with that.

What got him in trouble was he started printing absolute BS fact, when there was absolutely nothing to corroborate it, i.e. saying Spurrier "poached" Bruce Ellington from the basketball team.

That kind of will and should get any journalist in trouble.
All of which may be true (I was - and still am - living in MN at the time), but it is, again, irrelevant to my point.

If his journalism was so bad, then The State should have taken action. That they didn't, over such a long time, implies to me they were good with it.

They only took action when USC threatened to ban them from Spurrier's press conferences and deny them access. Even worse (for the point I am making) they appointed a Spurrier sycophant in his place, a person Spurrier specifically recommended for the job.

The clear message was that free press would not be tolerated by the USC athletic department.

This got a lot of attention from the national sports press. Here is one of a number of articles from Deadspin:

Reporter Who Was Critical Of Steve Spurrier Replaced By Spurrier's Pal

So, regardless of whether Morris should have been fired for cause, he was fired because USC wanted him fired.

I am fortunate to live in an area with local media who won't kowtow to the local sports teams. There are a few homers here and there (one who is even mocked for his homerism by other writers for the same paper), but there are also sports reporters and columnists who will print what they think should be printed. And the papers back them up (unlike The State).

The local Columbia media market is paying the price, I believe.

Is there some soccer to discuss?

Jay: You know, Tommy, the Lady G's are off to a very good start.

Tommy: In 1923 Scooter O'Brien became the first baseball player to get hit by his own line drive while trying to stretch it into a double.

Heath: You're all idiots if you think the worst USC FB HC since the last worst HC should be fired for an unmitigated disaster in year 4 of a pretty-much complete rebuild with all the players he recruited. You callers' stupidity astounds me!

Or something like that.
That's really good!

Reactions: TheReelEss
All of which may be true (I was - and still am - living in MN at the time), but it is, again, irrelevant to my point.

If his journalism was so bad, then The State should have taken action. That they didn't, over such a long time, implies to me they were good with it.

They only took action when USC threatened to ban them from Spurrier's press conferences and deny them access. Even worse (for the point I am making) they appointed a Spurrier sycophant in his place, a person Spurrier specifically recommended for the job.

The clear message was that free press would not be tolerated by the USC athletic department.

This got a lot of attention from the national sports press. Here is one of a number of articles from Deadspin:

Reporter Who Was Critical Of Steve Spurrier Replaced By Spurrier's Pal

So, regardless of whether Morris should have been fired for cause, he was fired because USC wanted him fired.

I am fortunate to live in an area with local media who won't kowtow to the local sports teams. There are a few homers here and there (one who is even mocked for his homerism by other writers for the same paper), but there are also sports reporters and columnists who will print what they think should be printed. And the papers back them up (unlike The State).

The local Columbia media market is paying the price, I believe.
And my point was that The State was and is always OK with someone taking shots at the University. That's why Morris was allowed to hang on for so long. But when he made that baseless claim that had no factual basis, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I also forgot to add that many Gamecock fans had grown tired of Morris's crap, and they were canceling their subscriptions. And when the print industry started taking hits due to the new online Sports News outlets, it was easy to let him go then. Spurrier was just a convenient scapegoat. But believe whatever you want.

And my point was that The State was and is always OK with someone taking shots at the University. That's why Morris was allowed to hang on for so long. But when he made that baseless claim that had no factual basis, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I also forgot to add that many Gamecock fans had grown tired of Morris's crap, and they were canceling their subscriptions. And when the print industry started taking hits due to the new online Sports News outlets, it was easy to let him go then. Spurrier was just a convenient scapegoat. But believe whatever you want.
We are in the post media age, guys. The people, via the Internet, or the money guys, make things happen.

My perspective is from 1200 miles away, and certainly I do not see it that way.

Any media outlet that lets the object of their reporting choose who gets to cover them is committing journalistic malpractice, and Columbia needs someone to stand up to the athletic department.

Regarding the complaints about The State always taking shots at the University, as I said before, you can't have non-homer journalism only when you agree with what they say. Having all of the media outlets in Columbia walking on egg shells, afraid to offend the University, is MUCH worse, IMO, than having a renegade columnist spewing baseless stories.

And, I'm not the only one who saw the Morris/Spurrier feud that way.

Some quotes from the above linked article:

Replacing Morris on the sports pages at The State?

Self-described Gamecock “Super Fan” Glenn Snyder.

“I love the University of South Carolina,” Snyder told Romenesko. “I love Steve Spurrier.”

Wow … can’t wait to read the incisive commentary coming from that guy, ...

This is not how it is supposed to work, people. Coaches prepare their teams and direct them during games – and columnists critique them based on the outcome. That’s the way it is.

A coach ousting a critic and replacing him with a stooge serves no one …

My perspective is from 1200 miles away, and certainly I do not see it that way.

Any media outlet that lets the object of their reporting choose who gets to cover them is committing journalistic malpractice, and Columbia needs someone to stand up to the athletic department.

Regarding the complaints about The State always taking shots at the University, as I said before, you can't have non-homer journalism only when you agree with what they say. Having all of the media outlets in Columbia walking on egg shells, afraid to offend the University, is MUCH worse, IMO, than having a renegade columnist spewing baseless stories.

And, I'm not the only one who saw the Morris/Spurrier feud that way.

Some quotes from the above linked article:

Replacing Morris on the sports pages at The State?

Self-described Gamecock “Super Fan” Glenn Snyder.

“I love the University of South Carolina,” Snyder told Romenesko. “I love Steve Spurrier.”

Wow … can’t wait to read the incisive commentary coming from that guy, ...

This is not how it is supposed to work, people. Coaches prepare their teams and direct them during games – and columnists critique them based on the outcome. That’s the way it is.

A coach ousting a critic and replacing him with a stooge serves no one …
*sighs* And MY point was that there has NEVER -- and I mean EVER -- been any "homer" sports coverage around here. The State has a long history of hiring writers who rejoice in denigrating and belittling USC. Ron Morris was just the latest and most blatant example.

It went beyond him and others' opinion pieces. Even in basic sports articles, they went out of their way to point out the negatives in our history, even when it had absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand. That's why Gamecock fans have been fed up with that paper for decades. You and a couple of other journalists can keep blaming Spurrier all you want. But you better believe that fans cancelling their subscriptions was the main catalyst for that guy losing his job.

By the way, if you want to see some real one-sided "journalism," where the HC gets to yank press credentials on a whim, I strongly suggest you look up our neighbors in Pickens County.

*sighs* And MY point was that there has NEVER -- and I mean EVER -- been any "homer" sports coverage around here.
Really? Glenn Snyder is, what, purely objective?
By the way, if you want to see some real one-sided "journalism," where the HC gets to yank press credentials on a whim, I strongly suggest you look up our neighbors in Pickens County.
Never pay any attention to any of the upstate media, and "But they do it too!" is hardly a justification.

And no need for the *sigh* :rolleyes:

I understand your point; I just don't agree that it justifies caving in to Spurrier.

And, the result is no one in Columbia media is willing to call it like it is at the University's athletic department.

Really? Glenn Snyder is, what, purely objective?
Never pay any attention to any of the upstate media, and "But they do it too!" is hardly a justification.

And no need for the *sigh* :rolleyes:

I understand your point; I just don't agree that it justifies caving in to Spurrier.

And, the result is no one in Columbia media is willing to call it like it is at the University's athletic department.
No, you're missing my point. As I've stated, truthfully and emphatically, there is no USC homerism here. So there is no "they do it too" because it doesn't get done here. If you want to continue to ignore that, then there's no need to continue this conversation. Hence, the "sigh."

Even if this Snyder guy is one -- I wouldn't know, never read him -- but if he is, that's ONE in a long line of journalists doing the exact opposite here. So, my apologies if I disagree that this one guy doesnt offset the decades of intentional horrible coverage of USC.

No, you're missing my point. As I've stated, truthfully and emphatically, there is no USC homerism here. So there is no "they do it too" because it doesn't get done here. If you want to continue to ignore that, then there's no need to continue this conversation. Hence, the "sigh."

Even if this Snyder guy is one -- I wouldn't know, never read him -- but if he is, that's ONE in a long line of journalists doing the exact opposite here. So, my apologies if I disagree that this one guy doesnt offset the decades of intentional horrible coverage of USC.
Well, nice sounding words, but you apparently misread my last post.

The "They do it too" had nothing to do with whether there is homerism here, but it had to do with your claim that Clemson forces out sports journalists that criticize.

If you don't see homerism in The State, then I submit you are choosing to not see it. It is clearly there.

Well, nice sounding words, but you apparently misread my last post.

The "They do it too" had nothing to do with whether there is homerism here, but it had to do with your claim that Clemson forces out sports journalists that criticize.

If you don't see homerism in The State, then I submit you are choosing to not see it. It is clearly there.
Perhaps, by your own admission, that your having lived far away for many years has blinded you to the reality that lies before you.

Perhaps if you took a poll of all Gamecock fans here -- from negatives to realists pumpers -- you may find that many agree with me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT