ADVERTISEMENT

Any Frank Martin fans out there? Yes, the '16

permacock70

Aug 31, 2000
senior laden and talented team got hot at the right time and it was a fantastic three weekends. However, in my opinion the guy has demonstrated that he can not coach (rant) or recruit on a consistent level that we deserve or demand. Too much money for average results.

Love a knee jerk reaction post! Well done....Look, I took the day off to watch this pi$$ poor performance but I'm still bought in. ISU was banking in 3's, while most of the day we couldn't hit a 10 footer...Fact is they are the best opponent we've played and should have been in field of 64 last year.....Should we have won?Probably so, But I'll reserve judgement on the '17 quad a little longer......11:30am tip in Conway a little underwhelming than the beautiful island of PR also.....But whatever...We shall see what tomorrow brings...Hey at least tomorrow we can play at 10:30 :) and have day to celebrate !

senior laden and talented team got hot at the right time and it was a fantastic three weekends. However, in my opinion the guy has demonstrated that he can not coach (rant) or recruit on a consistent level that we deserve or demand. Too much money for average results.
Oh-Boy-Here-We-Go-Jim-Carrey-Reaction-In-Me-Myself-Irene.gif

You're ugly and your Momma dresses you funny.

Reactions: cocky4
Already...really? Some just look for a way to get a rise out of others...SMDH.

Love a knee jerk reaction post! Well done....Look, I took the day off to watch this pi$$ poor performance but I'm still bought in. ISU was banking in 3's, while most of the day we couldn't hit a 10 footer...Fact is they are the best opponent we've played and should have been in field of 64 last year.....Should we have won?Probably so, But I'll reserve judgement on the '17 quad a little longer......11:30am tip in Conway a little underwhelming than the beautiful island of PR also.....But whatever...We shall see what tomorrow brings...Hey at least tomorrow we can play at 10:30 :) and have day to celebrate !

are you in the clemson PR department? Lots of spin going on here.Illinois State, again Illinois State...Not Illinois, Not Northern Illinois, Not SIU or even EIU but Illinois State....Illinois Sate just gave up 98 to Florida Gulf Coast. They played 1 ranked team last year and lost to them both times by 39 and 20 points.....let that sink in for a minute.

are you in the clemson PR department? Lots of spin going on here.Illinois State, again Illinois State...Not Illinois, Not Northern Illinois, Not SIU or even EIU but Illinois State....Illinois Sate just gave up 98 to Florida Gulf Coast. They played 1 ranked team last year and lost to them both times by 39 and 20 points.....let that sink in for a minute.
Can you make any comments at all without mentioning Clemson? You're fooling nobody.

and Illinois St. beat them one time so that statement is misleading... Illinois St beat the team that is coached by the once savior of the SC basketball program

Last edited:
Not a Marin "fan" but I am a Gamecock "fan". Disappointing loss. Seems like the defense stepped up in the second half but our offense was off for most of the game. Not sure if it was good defense or we were just off. Certainly not going to have a childish temper tantrum over it though. Still a lot of basketball left.

I can't understand why the Gamecocks weren't up for this game. It's as if they had hopes of playing in PR or something and ended up on the Coastal campus instead. What team can't get fired up about playing in Conway instead of PR? Gotta be coaching.:D

and Illinois St. beat them one time so that statement is misleading... Illinois St beat the team that is coached by the once savior of the SC basketball program

That was last year. They lost their top three players from last year's squad - all three were all-conference players (and they were Ill St.'s only double digit scorers). This year's team is a shell of last year's team and is picked middle-of-the-pack in the MVC.

USC lost a lot too, but an SEC team should have a lot more talent on the roster to prevent losses to average mid-majors.

Frank is fine though. He may not be able to maintain each year, but at least he'll never dip like Horn (or Odom, or Folger). I think he'll get USC back to the tourney every couple of years.

That was last year. They lost their top three players from last year's squad - all three were all-conference players (and they were Ill St.'s only double digit scorers). This year's team is a shell of last year's team and is picked middle-of-the-pack in the MVC.

USC lost a lot too, but an SEC team should have a lot more talent on the roster to prevent losses to average mid-majors.

Frank is fine though. He may not be able to maintain each year, but at least he'll never dip like Horn (or Odom, or Folger). I think he'll get USC back to the tourney every couple of years.

just answering the man's question since he brought up who they beat...last year

Reactions: Logic1969
Ill St played that "ranked team" three times, why did you omit their win?

Ill St played that "ranked team" three times, why did you omit their win?

I mentioned that above
it fit his argument...I guess, "par for the course" around here
.he did all that research, knew the point spread in 2 games.

I mentioned that above
it fit his argument..he did all that research, knew the point spread in 2 games. i guess, "par for the course" around here
Illinois State has 3 straight years with at least one win vs that "ranked team".

Reactions: bosoxcock
The OP is so correct. This is Frank Martin basketball, and I hope ya'll get excited for the NeverInterestingTournament this year....and next....and next....and the year after....because boring basketball and the inability to recruit will isn't going to net you a fluke run every year. But we'll lose to Kentucky by single digits or something and most of our clueless fans will bleat like sheep about our progress.

Reactions: drawplay000
I think we're supposed to be better than Illinois State. Our coach is in his sixth year and coming off a Final Four appearance. I hope no one minds me feeling that way because you're stuck with it. I especially feel that way if we aren't playing them in their building. The part that is irksome is how we played in losing to them.

But perhaps Fogler's best team lost to two or three mid-major teams early in the season before going on to the Dance. I think that's the bunch that won the SEC regular season title. The time for wailing and gnashing of teeth might come, but it isn't here yet. Disappointment is what I feel right now.

Martin won 51 games in the last 2 full seasons at SC, and i dont care if some of those the wins were against the "sisters of the poor".during that stretch run SC weren't exactly considered world beaters
.......ain't message boards great, you can be dumb and anonymous at the same time

After Monday night I really thought we had a pretty decent team and so I'm disappointed today too. What I don't like here is, as a Conway native, some of you guys bashing on an 11:30 a.m. tip in Conway. WTH?!?!

I’m still down w Frank.

You are an idiot. Let that sink in for a minute!

The OP is so correct. This is Frank Martin basketball, and I hope ya'll get excited for the NeverInterestingTournament this year....and next....and next....and the year after....because boring basketball and the inability to recruit will isn't going to net you a fluke run every year. But we'll lose to Kentucky by single digits or something and most of our clueless fans will bleat like sheep about our progress.

If you think we're only a NIT team over the next few years, well. I won't comment on that. As far as recruiting, don't think he's done a bad job. You have to start somewhere, and he is getting some good recruits at least looking at the Gamecocks. Use to never have any good ones looking at us.

1ynw2z.jpg

Piffle.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty

We've only played 2 games. The sun will come up tomorrow and we will be fine. At some point this season, the game will click for the young players we have and we'll win games like we had today against a zone defense.

It is better to experiment with lineups, etc early in the season. Yes, there is pre-season practice but you have to see how they play in a real game. Plus, basketball is an endurance sport. You train the players to have peak endurance at tournament time, not now.

I agree!! he is just a flash in the pan, just like coach K, and John Wooden were.I think Geno is another one.Trust me,they will soon be exposed.You really have a sharp eye.Btw,i hope coach John Wooden is not exposed.Not now ,it too late. He passed away having fooled us all

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT