ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone eating crow concerning OC Marcus Satterfield?

What's your threshold? What does acceptable production look like to you?
Something better than the 100&something-teen-ranked offense in all of D1 football for starters!
Serious answer from me is, top-50 offense. That’s not asking too much considering our QB situation (as biting curve mentioned) as well as other skill position talent we have returning and coming in. No excuses next year.

Something better than the 100&something-teen-ranked offense in all of D1 football for starters!
Serious answer from me is, top-50 offense. That’s not asking too much considering our QB situation (as biting curve mentioned) as well as other skill position talent we have returning and coming in. No excuses next year.
I think that’s probably fair.

The bowl game was the result of a year of preparation. -not a few weeks.
You're pitiful
I wouldn't worry too much about Kawalski and his ALMOST 1 year long experience of being a USC Gamecock football fan. He will be a Tenn- Martin fan here in about 3 years most likely. I will only miss his beautiful, buxom picture that appears above his name. Maybe he is secretly admitting to being a "boob" with that wonderful picture?

Reactions: uscwatson21
If he made those changes and coached them up for the Mayo Bowl, then I don’t want to lose him to another school.

Any naysayers want to change your minds? BTW, I also wasn’t too sure about his capabilities either.
Uh, no.

Do you want to give him a pay raise and a contract extension?

We finished 111th in Total Offense in the nation. One game proves nothing. North Carolina had a poor defense. North Carolina just fired their Defensive Coordinator.

In Satterfield's previous stint as an Offensive Coordinator for 3 years at Temple, his offenses ranked 76th, 120th and 96th. We know that Satterfield is coming back. If his offense cannot finish among the Top 50 in the nation (which should be the minimum) next season, what will be the excuse? I am pulling for him, because he is our OC next season. He needs to produce. One game against a poor defense proves nothing to me.

Uh, no.

Do you want to give him a pay raise and a contract extension?

We finished 111th in Total Offense in the nation. One game proves nothing. North Carolina had a poor defense. North Carolina just fired their Defensive Coordinator.

In Satterfield's previous stint as an Offensive Coordinator for 3 years at Temple, his offenses ranked 76th, 120th and 96th. We know that Satterfield is coming back. If his offense cannot finish among the Top 50 in the nation (which should be the minimum) next season, what will be the excuse? I am pulling for him, because he is our OC next season. He needs to produce. One game against a poor defense proves nothing to me.
No. Never said that. Let’s see what we do next year.

That's the plan, evidently. Thus, no reason to eat crow regarding Satterfield. He has yet to prove that he should be an Offensive Coordinator.
For now.....give him credit for finding a star QB and another highly rated recruit.

But we got shut out at home v. CU.....that should not be forgotten. 🤬
I still would have fired him...but I'm not the HC.

No. Never said that. Let’s see what we do next year.
Oh we know how this is likely to play out. The offense will improve simply because of Rattler. If we end up in the top 50 everyone will go nuts about the improvement. If that happens and the defense doesn’t drop off it will be a fun season. After next year because of the improvement we will offer a raise and an extension and then go into 2023 with a number of project QBs who have had mediocre coaching at best and then we’ll be right back here having the same conversations with a bigger buyout.

I hope I’m wrong but history from both the school and the coach seem to fit.

For now.....give him credit for finding a star QB and another highly rated recruit.

I'm still on the fence, but I must say that given the magnitude and expectations of the Clemson game I was astounded that our offensive game plan appeared to be nothing more than just go out like we were the Oakland Raiders and impose our will on them. Reminded me of the offense at the end of Brad Scott's tenure.

Oh we know how this is likely to play out. The offense will improve simply because of Rattler. If we end up in the top 50 everyone will go nuts about the improvement. If that happens and the defense doesn’t drop off it will be a fun season. After next year because of the improvement we will offer a raise and an extension and then go into 2023 with a number of project QBs who have had mediocre coaching at best and then we’ll be right back here having the same conversations with a bigger buyout.

I think the hope is that Rattler leads the offense to some huge numbers, making Satterfield attractive to other job situations. Then Beamer can go out and hire a proven OC. That keeps him from having to fire his groomsman. I don't know that. But, that's my suspicion.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
This thread can be summarized by

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

So, you are already making excuses for the offenses success next year, because we will have a good QB.

LOL. It's almost like the QB makes a big difference in how successful your offense is. LOL.

That does seem like a likely scenario.

Howling monkeys already hypocrising.

This year's blame: 0% zero star/FCS GA players, 100% Satterfield.
Next year's credit: 100% 4/5 star players, 0% Satterfield.

gibbon-josh-woods.gif

So, you are already making excuses for the offenses success next year, because we will have a good QB.

LOL. It's almost like the QB makes a big difference in how successful your offense is. LOL.
That’s okay. I’m sure if we’re only around 75th in offense you’ll be here to tell us how complex the offense is and guys need 27.5 years in it to get the system.

That’s okay. I’m sure if we’re only around 75th in offense you’ll be here to tell us how complex the offense is and guys need 27.5 years in it to get the system.

Yeah, and if we improve a lot, I'm sure you will be here to quote some obscure, random stat from one year in his tenure at Temple 10 years ago to prove that it has absolutely nothing to do with him and everything to do with an upgrade at the equipment manager position. lol

100th will be called a success by some, because they're emotionally invested in defending a coordinator at the expense of the program.
And you're emotionally driven by disdain and have no idea what it takes to build a team.

To be fair, the message board would be a pretty barren place if comments and opinion were held until events played out.
But way more sensible. Arguing over what has already happened is a more intelligent practice than arguing over supposed reactions regarding future events which might or might not happen.

Last edited:
What's your threshold? What does acceptable production look like to you?
Objectively I’d like to see our offensive numbers all improve.

Subjectively I’d like to see our team look like everyone is on the same page, instead of the discombobulated confusion we showed in many of our games.

I think most people downplay the effects on our offense we had from a never healthy Doty, Harris and Lloyd not being healthy the majority of the season, and having to shuffle the OL because of injuries.

How much did all of that affect our offense? I can’t quantify it, but of course it changed how we played.

We’re the only team in SEC history (and likely CFB history) to have a former member of the coaching staff come off the bench with 90 seconds left and drive the field to win.

We played a starting WR/4th string QB in the Bowl game because our starting/former 3rd string QB left in the portal, he had the game of his life.

l think he deserves next season, with a likely Heisman finalist and hopefully a few more skill players. If we play next season tentative and confused, then he needs to go.

Subjectively I’d like to see our team look like everyone is on the same page, instead of the discombobulated confusion we showed in many of our games.

I think most people downplay the effects on our offense we had from a never healthy Doty, Harris and Lloyd not being healthy the majority of the season, and having to shuffle the OL because of injuries.

How much did all of that affect our offense? I can’t quantify it, but of course it changed how we played.

We’re the only team in SEC history (and likely CFB history) to have a former member of the coaching staff come off the bench with 90 seconds left and drive the field to win.

We played a starting WR/4th string QB in the Bowl game because our starting/former 3rd string QB left in the portal, he had the game of his life.

l think he deserves next season, with a likely Heisman finalist and hopefully a few more skill players. If we play next season tentative and confused, then he needs to go.

That's a very fair assessment. Talent matters. Injuries matter. Especially in a league like the SEC.

Beamer should be credited for Rattler. Go watch the interview with Rattler that was posted recently. He added Satterfield later like he was supposed to, but mentioned Beamer and Stogner several times initially when asked what it was about Columbia that drew him here. Either way, I'm hoping to see us with Satterfield's offense come out and light the world up next year and prove it. I don't think we should be giving him a pay raise or singing high praises until he produces a consistent product on the field worthy of such praise.

Let's not forget that Joyner was an Elite 11 QB. It's not like the cupboard is completely bare. For those that are complaining about a lack of talent, I'd say put some respect on that man's name.

Good post, but you caught me off guard with the "likely Heisman finalist" comment. I know he was mentioned as a leading candidate prior to being benched last year, but is your expectation that he will be a Heisman finalist this year?

Either way, I'm hoping to see us with Satterfield's offense come out and light the world up next year and prove it. I don't think we should be giving him a pay raise or singing high praises until he produces a consistent product on the field worthy of such praise.
I agree. Performance comes before pay raise, just like "A" comes before "B".

Reactions: 92Pony

This thread aged well.

I wonder, if biting curve is still around, if he sees what he wanted out of our offense?

He did end with, "If we play next season tentative and confused, then he needs to go."

That describes most of the season.

I agree, and that's what I was going for.

There were several comments in the thread by other posters, some vehement Satterfield supporters, about what they'd like to see as improvement. I'm just curious if failing to meet those expectations brings anyone to a conclusion. Or if a new set of excuses and goals for next year will just be brought out.

...l think he deserves next season, with a likely Heisman finalist and hopefully a few more skill players. If we play next season tentative and confused, then he needs to go.
Let me make sure I understand something. When you say "he", to whom are you referring? When you say "likely Heisman finalist", to whom are you referring?

If he made those changes and coached them up for the Mayo Bowl, then I don’t want to lose him to another school.

Any naysayers want to change your minds? BTW, I also wasn’t too sure about his capabilities either.

this post didn’t age very well! Lmao
Sorry SunShine PuMper, we still love ya!

I had hopes after the Mayo Bowl where I thought he showed a great game plan and creativity. Sadly he is going to have to go. Beamer has to know his career will be dragged down by keeping Satterfield.

Reactions: TAV31
I am not sold on him(Satterfield) yet. Lets see what happens next year. We still lack some key pieces on offense that I hope will be addressed in the off season. If we do, there are no excuses. Happy for the win today but blind squirrel and all that...
I still stand on my initial post. Although I have gotten to the point that I don't think I will ever be sold on him. Complexity is fine but you have to be able to scale it down to take advantage of what you have. He has not shown the ability to do so. Time for a change..

I'm usually for us as fans not to look too bad socially but I hope every website and every media meeting Beamer has he gets hit hard to get rid of Marcus. He's gotta go. If he doesn't, this experiment w Beamer will go South by year 4-5. I hope he can keep the defensive and special teams coaches around. But the OC has to go.

Reactions: Robhawk29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT