ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else not making the move to On3 ?

While I pull for USC sports I really only follow USC baseball and football. I took a look at On3 and it looks more like a yahoo or espn sports page.

it’s been fun following a few of you guys. FGF has gotten a little to liberal for me , which is OK - your perception is your reality . but it’s time for me to cut loose sites like this and focus on riding out this inflation wave that is starting to hit home.

Stay safe. Go Gamecocks.
I may not have always agreed with you politically, but I’m always respectful of the way you stated it. Go Gamecocks and best of luck to you!

wait. I must have missed something. What is On3? Is FGF leaving again? I've been a member since it was gamecockcentral.com
Nevermind. I just went over and looked at it. Looks like you have to pay to view content. I see they have an FGF and an insiders forum but you have to pay to view either one of them.

Last edited:
Once you get a user name, sign out once and sign back in and all of that goes away. Even if you don’t pay the dollar fee. And you can post, too. But yes, until you do that, the “premium content” message appears all over the place. It’s not really premium on the new FGF board.
That worked for me. When I first registered it looked like I had to pay to view. And Rod is over there if anyone has missed him. LOL

Reactions: atl-cock
There is TIF ($1 for 1st year) and FGF (free) over there as well.

The board is still “under construction” until the move is official. Kinks will get worked out I’m sure.

There is also rumor that this board may stay around ran by someone else, idk though.
From what I understand, this site will stay but the moderators will be from "off." I don't know about the Insiders Forum because GCC staff will be over there as well so I don't know where the good info will come from. I just cannot understand why people cannot give up $1 for a year. I'm over there, too, and I haven't experienced a single issue. Most members of the Insiders Forum stay away from FGF because of all the lurkers, false information and such. I guess it's too bad that Cocky Talk isn't around anymore for those searching for a free site. I'm a poor man living on disability payments that would scare you, but I love the Insiders Forum and gladly pay the $99/year for it. To each his own. Most of us won't miss you!

With respect to this move, I have learned that post counts will be migrated over but it will take some time. I don't know if that will work for people who register differently than they are known here.
I use the same name over there and even the same emoji. BTW: From what I understand, the $1 for a year ends tonight at midnight. After that, it will be $99.

If I come to this page and its no longer, I guess i will wonder over there...if I have to reup everything, I might lose interest while typing everything
You better pay the $1 before midnight tonight or it will be $99 to move. What do you lose but $1. You can cancel anytime before the year is up to stay free over there.

wait. I must have missed something. What is On3? Is FGF leaving again? I've been a member since it was gamecockcentral.com
Nevermind. I just went over and looked at it. Looks like you have to pay to view content. I see they have an FGF and an insiders forum but you have to pay to view either one of them.
No you don't. Even if you do, it's only $1 for a whole year of everything over there plus all the reporters from here. If you don't want to pay the $1 by midnight tonight, good luck because if you change your mind after that, it'll be $99.

I doubt I care.

You basically said earlier you're leaving because you have unrealistic expectations and no longer feel like supporting the university.

Which has nothing to do with moving to on3. So yeah. Post wasn't aimed at you and I don't care.
Bashby your a Fart Smeller

This has been refreshing for me. I remember the early 2000s and I was one of the very few liberals on here.
I think the bigger problem is that regardless whether you were a democrat or a republican... liberal or conservative... you could still have a healthy conversation or discussion on differences.

People have lost their minds living in their own echo chambers and lost empathy toward other people that might have a difference of opinion.

I think the bigger problem is that regardless whether you were a democrat or a republican... liberal or conservative... you could still have a healthy conversation or discussion on differences.

People have lost their minds living in their own echo chambers and lost empathy toward other people that might have a difference of opinion.

Agree.

It's because folks can now listen to people repeating what they want to hear 24 hours a day.

The outlets that get the most viewership/listenership on both sides are the ones that describe folks that don't agree with them as something close to evil. Too many people now believe that.

My wife is a teacher, She isn't political at all. She was talking to someone recently and they asked her if they taught CRT at her school. My wife wasn't really familiar with CRT or it's political context but the lady gave her definition for it and my wife told her that she spent her time at school teaching the SC standards. They didn't talk about anything like CRT or anything remotely like that. The lady, out of the blue, accused my wife of lying. My wife was very upset, and confused. I explained the entire thing to her about how this was now a big issue and if it comes up again just don't engage someone like that.

The world has gone absolutely nuts. My wife is now considering leaving teaching after 17 years to do something else.

Agree with this.

It started off as Republicans entered their own echo chambers. Now my fellow Democrats have entered their own echo chamber. So we are at quite the impasse these days.

From what I understand, this site will stay but the moderators will be from "off." I don't know about the Insiders Forum because GCC staff will be over there as well so I don't know where the good info will come from. I just cannot understand why people cannot give up $1 for a year. I'm over there, too, and I haven't experienced a single issue. Most members of the Insiders Forum stay away from FGF because of all the lurkers, false information and such. I guess it's too bad that Cocky Talk isn't around anymore for those searching for a free site. I'm a poor man living on disability payments that would scare you, but I love the Insiders Forum and gladly pay the $99/year for it. To each his own. Most of us won't miss you!
I miss CT. Gamecock Fanatics is a good free replacement board

Agree.

It's because folks can now listen to people repeating what they want to hear 24 hours a day.

The outlets that get the most viewership/listenership on both sides are the ones that describe folks that don't agree with them as something close to evil. Too many people now believe that.

My wife is a teacher, She isn't political at all. She was talking to someone recently and they asked her if they taught CRT at her school. My wife wasn't really familiar with CRT or it's political context but the lady gave her definition for it and my wife told her that she spent her time at school teaching the SC standards. They didn't talk about anything like CRT or anything remotely like that. The lady, out of the blue, accused my wife of lying. My wife was very upset, and confused. I explained the entire thing to her about how this was now a big issue and if it comes up again just don't engage someone like that.

The world has gone absolutely nuts. My wife is now considering leaving teaching after 17 years to do something else.
If she teaches in this state see if she can tough it out. She’s only 10 more years away from drawing a pension. I know it’s hard but so is starting over too. Then again it’s hard to blame any teacher that wants to bolt at this point.

Don’t let one stupid person ruin her joy. There are stupid people in all aspects of society.

Didn’t know we had an option - thought this site was closing up shop.

If she teaches in this state see if she can tough it out. She’s only 10 more years away from drawing a pension. I know it’s hard but so is starting over too. Then again it’s hard to blame any teacher that wants to bolt at this point.

Don’t let one stupid person ruin her joy. There are stupid people in all aspects of society.

I know but I'm pushing her to leave teaching too. She was born to do it (her grandma was a teacher, her grandpa was a teacher and principal back in the 50s and 60s, her mom was a teacher). But A LOT of her fellow teachers are leaving at the end of this year or left last year.

They are barely getting any new teachers in because people are not going into education in college like they were before. The numbers are down a lot.

Where teaching is really going to face a serious problem (other than the one it already faces) is folks like my 14 year old daughter. My wife use to really want my daughter to grow up and be a teacher because it's family tradition. But my 14 year old daughter has seen and heard what it's like and the one thing she says she will not do is be a teacher. The kids her age, for the most part, don't see teaching as a valuable or worthy job anymore.

It's just not worth it. That, plus the disrespect from the overall population is just too much for her to bear.

Your wife is too nice. I believe in being civil and fair, but your wife was accused of lying when she was absolutely correct so I would have given this woman a “dog cussing” in a way that she would avoided me for the rest of her life.

I wish your wife would reconsider. Trained teachers are sorely needed. Teachers are being hired now that have no degree. We need to hold on to those who can educate as long as we can.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I know but I'm pushing her to leave teaching too. She was born to do it (her grandma was a teacher, her grandpa was a teacher and principal back in the 50s and 60s, her mom was a teacher). But A LOT of her fellow teachers are leaving at the end of this year or left last year.

They are barely getting any new teachers in because people are not going into education in college like they were before. The numbers are down a lot.

Where teaching is really going to face a serious problem (other than the one it already faces) is folks like my 14 year old daughter. My wife use to really want my daughter to grow up and be a teacher because it's family tradition. But my 14 year old daughter has seen and heard what it's like and the one thing she says she will not do is be a teacher. The kids her age, for the most part, don't see teaching as a valuable or worthy job anymore.

It's just not worth it. That, plus the disrespect from the overall population is just too much for her to bear.
I agree. It’s a tough spot. On one end you hate to see someone give up something they love. On the other end, if they can’t come home and be happy life is way too short!

You’re right about the future generation. I’ve already told my kids before they think about teaching as a career they’re going to sit down and have the talk about what I do behind the scenes. If they still love it after knowing all that I will support them but honestly I don’t suspect they will.

Today I had an after school meeting for a recertification class. Tomorrow I will give up my lunch for a department meeting and then after school I’ll have a faculty meeting. All these are technically during my “free time”. That’s in addition to all the other stresses that come with the job.

If I weren’t on the same year as your wife, I would have bolted. I’m trying to squeeze ten more years out of it. Honestly there have been days I’ve told my spouse I’m not sure I can do it. Same talk.

I appreciate all you do to speak up for public education on this site.

We can do our part by being civil to each other and avoid inflammatory language, whether or not it's directed at any person or group.
You nailed it. I need to try to do better when someone goes on the offensive against me. I concede I have room for improvement in this category.

Reactions: PC31
I remember joining the board (whatever the name was back then) in 1995 timeframe ... has it been that long? I remember conversing with Plano, WCE, Taylors Cock (who I met at church one Wednesday evening when I moved to the upstate) ... I don't suspect I will move to another board ... I believe the cost was only $1? Not bad at all, but I enjoy(ed) coming here and reading, listening, learning, and occassionally sharing ... the only downfall, to me, is how we sit behind keyboards, pound our chests, and attack one another ... the divisiveness and vitriol (and not just on this board) is attacks the spirit ...
In 1995 I had just returned to SC from what I refer to as my exile from football country (to NC).
Along with my brother, we acquired "The Gamecock Football Web" from a guy in Augusta, that I wish I could credit. We are techies and felt a shortened domain name would be more "appropriate." Thus was born "usccocks.com." I borrowed a script from Matt Wright to get an interactive web board on line. The second revision of that script allowed us to "lock out" the aholes and it lived under the moniker "the duece." 1998 was the origen of gff as my brother and I were raising kids and could not keep up with the demands of some of our users.

I tried to check the new board out. Found it, but everything I click on says "premium" content. I'm pretty sure I was on the free board. Oh well. This page is working at least.

Reactions: uscedge21
I tried, but pictures/graphics/avatars don't show up on my PC. I've emailed back and forth with their tech support several times and nothing works. Everything still looks good here.

What was wrong with Rivals that precipitated On3? Or is it strictly a money play?

And yet here you both are.....posting on 2 forums. Surely there are fewer people if you only post on one?
Hypocrite much?

I don't agree with that logic at all. As someone said earlier on the thread, there's nothing wrong with being on two boards at once. And both might be better off with less people on each. They are not contradictory stances.

I'm so confused. Where am I right now? I thought this board was moving, but it was just the name that was moving? I didn't post on here because of the name.

Who are the mods now? Who owns this thing?

If you have children and grandchildren, you're a fool if you're not a conservative.

Well, I have 3 children and I am no conservative. My oldest is quite liberal. I don't consider myself or my oldest a fool either.

I don't subscribe to the beliefs of any one political party or political ideology. Personally, I think that requires checking your brain at the door to do such a thing.

Life is complicated. People are complicated. Ascribing opinions, ideas, beliefs, dreams, etc to a political ideology seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

I know people that are very liberal that are very successful in life. I know people that are very conservative that are very successful in life. I know people that are all over the board, depending on the issue, that are very successful in life.

So to me it's quite clear that just 1 ideology doesn't have all the answers (except the diehards of their own favorite ideology all think they alone are right - they do have that in common).

Reactions: The Yancey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT