ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think the intensity of the rivalry on the school's part has fallen off over the years?

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Seems both schools and ADs are on their best behavior in the rivalry lately. I mean we got both our coaches this week practically blowing kisses at each other. Muschamp also never seemed to care much about it.

I can remember the school being more aggressive back in the 80s and early 90s. As a kid going to the rivalry game, I can remember showing up at WBS and seeing a very large stuffed tiger hung from the top of end zone scoreboard just above where Clempson's fans used to sit. For the game in 1981 when CU came in ranked #2, there was a large banner hung on the stadium that said "#2 in the nation today, #2 in the state tomorrow". Of course it didnt work out that way but was still cool. I remember one year Cocky rode into the stadium before the game on a tractor dressed in Clempson overalls and circled the entire field. I can remember driving to Columbia for the game and seeing Beat Clemson signs hanging all over the overpasses. I can remember driving into Clempson for the game and a USC frat had painted all over the orange tiger paws on the road. One year at Clempson, the band displayed a huge "Beat The Damn Farmers" sign. Cocky always showed up for the game wearing overalls and dragging a large stuffed tiger.

Haven't been able to attend the last few years and of course things haven't been going our way but that kind of stuff doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I don't think people are as passionate about sports in general as they used to be. The pandemic didn't help. However attendance was dropping off before the pandemic.

Reactions: Cybercock
While my behavior isn't at the 16-25 age level it used to be, my feelings and passion concerning north till you smell it and west till you step in it pickens county technical college, have improved about zero from my early years.

Every friend and related by marriage extended family member I know with any affiliation to clemtech also knows fully where I stand and that I do not pull for them and their is no illusion of my feeling or behaving in some other manner.

Every friend and related by marriage extended family member I know with any affiliation to clemtech also knows fully where I stand and that I do not pull for them and their is no illusion of my feeling or behaving in some other manner.
Pretty much me as well. My immediate family (parents, siblings, kids) are Gamecocks. However, through marriage, we now have taters in our midst, one or two that are annoying. My dear mother said lets do Thanksgiving on Saturday evening, then we can watch the ball game. I refuse to watch the ballgame with Dabo-nites, my dad feels the same. We're now eating at 3PM, and I will make my exit early. Don't know what my dad will do, but knowing him he will go to his bedroom, lock the door, and watch in there (not kidding either).

Was trying to post a photo of a Tater friend of mine who lost his bet and had to dress in Gamecock gear and take a photo holding up 5. (That sadly tells you how long ago that has been.) Why is this site so user un-friendly? Its impossible to post a picture on here unless you are paying for a photobucket account, etc.
So aggravating. However, this is the first year in the last 5-6 that we have even talked much smack because there was no point. This year, he is wanting me to bet him again and the loser has to do another photo shoot dressed in the other teams' stuff.

Unless you’re 7 there isn’t a lot of smack talk to be had when the series shifts to being one sided. I know there is some increased interest this year based on both teams being mediocre but even that is a hard sell on trash talk. It’s one thing to be fighting over two good teams but arguing about which team is the worst isn’t as exciting.

Hard to feel strongly about a rivalry when one team is consistently beating the brakes of the other team . Seeing the same thing in the OSU vs Michigan game . For it to be a rivalry there has to be a chance either team could win . That hasn’t been the case since SOS left the building and it won’t be the case this weekend . For all the good things Beamer has accomplished this year I’m expecting a beatdown Sat night . Even with the Taters having a down year they will still pummel us .

Everything used to be in ‘good fun’, no harm no foul. Everyone knew it was just fun. Now, all feelings are hurt and everything is punished with fines and/or jail, so it’s not worth it. Society sucks hard.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
The short answer is that the rivalry is less fervent than it was when I was young. Going away from Big Thursday took something special from the series and our leaving the ACC also played a big role because, once that game was moved from the final game of the season, it removed a lot of drama if the conference championship could be affected. Finally, the divergent fortunes of the programs, with them enjoying greater achievements than we more of the time, has made the rivalry less intense.

The short answer is that the rivalry is less fervent than it was when I was young. Going away from Big Thursday took something special from the series and our leaving the ACC also played a big role because, once that game was moved from the final game of the season, it removed a lot of drama if the conference championship could be affected. Finally, the divergent fortunes of the programs, with them enjoying greater achievements than we more of the time, has made the rivalry less intense.
I was blessed to be included at an early age to tiger steaks at cogburns.

Reactions: king ward
Political correctness, soft don't offend, yes, but I would add that we play SEC and they're ACC. It's been long enough since the game ment anything conference wise that they just don't care. Only us old farts that knew what it was see it differently than just another game and get worked up over the rivalry. If it was just because they have beaten us more, then no one would have cared many years ago.

Pretty much me as well. My immediate family (parents, siblings, kids) are Gamecocks. However, through marriage, we now have taters in our midst, one or two that are annoying. My dear mother said lets do Thanksgiving on Saturday evening, then we can watch the ball game. I refuse to watch the ballgame with Dabo-nites, my dad feels the same. We're now eating at 3PM, and I will make my exit early. Don't know what my dad will do, but knowing him he will go to his bedroom, lock the door, and watch in there (not kidding either).
SAME, precious few who wear the orange can visit our tailgate for a BEER, no need to stay too long, when they play in Pickens County Technical Stadium we don't watch with urange folk

Reactions: chief2791
It has nothing to do with the conferences or PC culture.

We haven’t been competitive with them for 7 years. Even when we lost in the 90s and 2000s you felt like we had a chance.

The last few years we knew what the outcome was going to be before the game. Hard to get motivated for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT