ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here been to Falcons game at their new stadium? - Very nice facility- USC could learn a lot- if they would listen

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
I took a tour with a church youth group of the stadium.

I loved the areas for the fans and how nice and spacious the areas were. When I was there (pre-covid) a fan could buy a soda and get a free refill themselves at the soda dispensers.

I know Williams Brice is no pro stadium but I guess I had spent so many years at Willy B, when I saw a nice pro stadium I was blown away at the differences in things like restrooms and fan areas.

I took a tour with a church youth group of the stadium.

I loved the areas for the fans and how nice and spacious the areas were. When I was there (pre-covid) a fan could buy a soda and get a free refill themselves at the soda dispensers.

I know Williams Brice is no pro stadium but I guess I had spent so many years at Willy B, when I saw a nice pro stadium I was blown away at the differences in things like restrooms and fan areas.
Falcons fan here. I’ve done a couple of games in the new stadium. It’s definitely a better experience than most places can offer.

I went to a game and concert post Covid in that stadium. The deal with the drinks stands. Low cost concessions which is in my opinion the way to go.

As a fan I come to that stadium hungry and spend my dollars in the stadium. With the overpriced concessions at a typical ball game I typically eat out before or after the game and just don’t purchase anything inside the stadium. More people should adopt the Falcons low cost concessions model.

I’ve done a few soccer games and a concert there. It’s outstanding. The atmosphere for soccer is unbelievable. Also randomly met Arthur Blank as he was going up to his suite and got a few pictures with him and our friends, and he couldn’t have been a nicer guy.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
As a fan I come to that stadium hungry and spend my dollars in the stadium. With the overpriced concessions at a typical ball game I typically eat out before or after the game and just don’t purchase anything inside the stadium. More people should adopt the Falcons low cost concessions model.

I emailed our athletic department that exact idea after I visited the Falcon's stadium.

I was so impressed that they have low costs concessions that I thought at the time- I'd actually spend money on them if they were lower priced. Instead, I can't remember the last time I bought anything at any game.

But of course USC ignored that advice.

I emailed our athletic department that exact idea after I visited the Falcon's stadium.

I was so impressed that they have low costs concessions that I thought at the time- I'd actually spend money on them if they were lower priced. Instead, I can't remember the last time I bought anything at any game.

But of course USC ignored that advice.
My Carolina. In fact I read where the Falcons were making killer profits in their concessions despite the lower prices and the fact that the team hasn’t exactly crushed it on the field.

You’d think they would at least send a thank you note or look into it. There’s been a few times I’ve bought concessions to keep one of my kids interested for another quarter but any time I’ve gone solo or with another adult they don’t get a penny of concession money from me.

My Carolina. In fact I read where the Falcons were making killer profits in their concessions despite the lower prices and the fact that the team hasn’t exactly crushed it on the field.

You’d think they would at least send a thank you note or look into it. There’s been a few times I’ve bought concessions to keep one of my kids interested for another quarter but any time I’ve gone solo or with another adult they don’t get a penny of concession money from me.

The problem is that our athletic department is not going to change anything with regards to concessions unless other SEC teams do the same thing.

They will consider it a terrible idea until 4-6 other teams do it, then they'll do it and act as if it was the common sense thing to do.

I've even asked radio folks in town- via email- to ask Ray Tanner that very question- and so far they won't even do it. It's like it's a taboo subject.

Imagine going to a game and buying a coke for $1.50

a Bottled water for $1.50

a Hot dog for $2.00

A basic hamburger with either catsup or mustard for $3.00

a bag of peanuts for $2.00

Cotton Candy for the kids - $1.00

a Chicken sandwich for $5.00

An order of Fries or Nachos for $3.00

They'd sell so many darn items, over half the stadium would buy items and they'd make a killing.

The problem is that our athletic department is not going to change anything with regards to concessions unless other SEC teams do the same thing.

They will consider it a terrible idea until 4-6 other teams do it, then they'll do it and act as if it was the common sense thing to do.

I've even asked radio folks in town- via email- to ask Ray Tanner that very question- and so far they won't even do it. It's like it's a taboo subject.

a Hot dog for $2.00

They'd sell so many darn items, over half the stadium would buy items and they'd make a killing.
Not only that but they have vendors dying to get in there. Moes, Chic Fil A and a few restaurants I was not familiar with are in the Dome. It clearly works. I took my daughter to a concert and we were running behind so we just ate at the show. Was cheaper than our lunch in Atlanta earlier that day and better.

a Hot dog for $2.00

This model works extremely well for The Masters. If you are fortunate enough to get a badge to go in, you can eat and drink all day for $20-$30. They COULD charge US Open prices if they wanted, but they are heavily invested in the patron experience instead.

This model works extremely well for The Masters. If you are fortunate enough to get a badge to go in, you can eat and drink all day for $20-$30. They COULD charge US Open prices if they wanted, but they are heavily invested in the patron experience instead.

You make a great point.

I've been to the Masters quite a few times. They know the deal and know how to treat their fans -Patrons-

I GLADLY spend hundreds in the gift shop and it's expensive stuff - but the gift shop isn't required. It's strictly voluntary. No one needs a shirt or souvenir.

and BTW- the gift shop folks and the concession employees are very friendly.

Getting something to drink and eat is required and The Masters offers many items for a very reasonable price.

It's too bad the USC athletic department couldn't learn from the experts 80 miles away in Augusta.

BTW- the gift shop at The Masters employs a number of part time students from UofSC's hospitality program to work the shop during Masters week. I know because I've talked to them when I've been checking out.

It's too bad Ray Tanner's staff couldn't learn something from them.

At the Masters last spring - a good egg salad or pimento cheese sandwich for $1.50. A cold beer for $4.00.
At a Hornets game last month (they called it special pricing - you got a deal) - a hot dog for $4 plain, you put the ketchup or mustard and relish on it out of a packet at the side stand. A 12 oz. Bud for $7. $7 for a beer that they paid maybe 50 cents for - now that’s a markup.

NASCAR used to do it right in the old days (last century). All the cooler you could carry through the turnstile - fill it with ham biscuits and a case of beer. The last race I attended was at Bristol in the spring, 2008 I think (the one Kyle Busch won in overtime). They limited the size of coolers but you could still get in 8-10 beers and your ham biscuits. I remember going to the World 600 in the mid-70s when they started at noon. You needed every wet towel and beverage you could carry to sit in that heat.

a Hot dog for $2.00

Can u imagine when u can buy a pre rolled joint!

You can't get to the concessions now. Lowering the prices and upping the demand would mean missing the game

You can't get to the concessions now. Lowering the prices and upping the demand would mean missing the game
I know, right? The concessions at the volleyball games are outrageously high, but the line is long.

"Ray needs to lower prices"
lol

Reactions: Dizzy01

There are management practices that can help solve that issue or make it more reasonable.

The football stadium has more possibilities with respect to layout, options, and methods to make waits more reasonable.

It could require some construction, alterations, planning to do but if the Falcons can do it at their stadium, or The Masters can shuffle through tens of thousands very quickly at lunch with really no wait at all, there is no reason why we can't.

You make a great point.

I've been to the Masters quite a few times. They know the deal and know how to treat their fans -Patrons-

I GLADLY spend hundreds in the gift shop and it's expensive stuff - but the gift shop isn't required. It's strictly voluntary. No one needs a shirt or souvenir.

and BTW- the gift shop folks and the concession employees are very friendly.

Getting something to drink and eat is required and The Masters offers many items for a very reasonable price.

It's too bad the USC athletic department couldn't learn from the experts 80 miles away in Augusta.

BTW- the gift shop at The Masters employs a number of part time students from UofSC's hospitality program to work the shop during Masters week. I know because I've talked to them when I've been checking out.

It's too bad Ray Tanner's staff couldn't learn something from them.
They also employ the Department of Retailing students to work in the merchandise buildings/gift shop and the Sport Management students to work the event as well. UofSC is quite well represented in providing the whole “experience” of the Masters Tournament.

Im in full agreement that the prices are too high and the quality sucks BUT if you have basically all the business you can handle at the crazy prices, why would you lower the prices?

Im in full agreement that the prices are too high and the quality sucks BUT if you have basically all the business you can handle at the crazy prices, why would you lower the prices?

I'm not sure eying long lines is really the best way to determine if they have all the business they can handle.

I mean if they need to do a formal evaluation, opinion survey, and logistics survey of the football stadium to learn if lower prices would make sense, that sounds fine to me.

and I'd like to know how many of those folks in those lines are getting 1 item, 2 items and never coming back to the line versus those that would return to buy another item in the 2nd half if the prices were cheaper.

or how many folks go buy $20 in concessions for themselves and a child, but never consider buying tickets to another game because it's too expensive to return - or it's too expensive to bring their family back to a game because the concessions are too expensive.

I'm not saying I know for sure- but I'd sure like to see it studied seriously (if it hasn't been) and rely on actual data compared to just watching some long lines and assuming it must be ok.

I've stood in long lines for concessions myself at various places - all the while vowing I wouldn't get in that line ever again.

I've also went through the concession line multiple times in a day at The Masters buying numerous items for myself, my kids, my wife because the prices were cheap.

Last edited:
The Falcons stadium is now the gold standard in the country, maybe the world. It’s visually stunning inside and out, technologically superior, designed perfectly for game day experience, and As others have mentioned distinguished itself with a slam dunk business plan.

I don’t like the Falcons - but job well done to Blank and his franchises.

Last time I ate at Willy B stadium was in 2014. I bought one of those little personal pizzas. I think Dominos? Or a bastardized version of it they put together just for games? The thing tasted like it had been kept warm since the game from the prior week. And it probably had been because it made me sick as a dog. I almost reported it to the health department. I don’t remember the cost- but remember it being wayyy too much for what it was- even if it wasn’t poisonous.

Last time I ate at Willy B stadium was in 2014. I bought one of those little personal pizzas. I think Dominos? Or a bastardized version of it they put together just for games? The thing tasted like it had been kept warm since the game from the prior week. And it probably had been because it made me sick as a dog. I almost reported it to the health department. I don’t remember the cost- but remember it being wayyy too much for what it was- even if it wasn’t poisonous.

One of those pizzas with a drink with doo doo ice in the cup was probably the culprit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT