ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think the sec recent bowl struggles are due to disappointment.

Jan 8, 2016
The NFL draft has proven that the SEC is where all the talent is. If a SEC team isn't playing in the playoff or New Years bowl, why would they care about it?

The Texas AM game had me thinking about it. Kansas State is a good team with undraftable players. The bowl game is their last time ever playing football. Most of the SEC rosters are the opposite, it's a meaningless game played before the draft.

Even Saban admitted his players did that when they lost to Ohio State.

Before people start hating on that, honestly take a step back and ask yourself, how can teams with the best NFL talent lose to garbage teams/players?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiger Guru
The NFL draft has proven that the SEC is where all the talent is. If a SEC team isn't playing in the playoff or New Years bowl, why would they care about it?

The Texas AM game had me thinking about it. Kansas State is a good team with undraftable players. The bowl game is their last time ever playing football. Most of the SEC rosters are the opposite, it's a meaningless game played before the draft.

Even Satan admitted his players did that when they lost to Ohio State.

Before people start hating on that, honestly take a step back and ask yourself, how can teams with the best NFL talent lose to garbage teams/players?

Starting to believe you are not a Gamecock fan and just post outlandish things to make Gamecock fans look bad. Wolf in Sheeps clothing.

Starting to believe you are not a Gamecock fan and just post outlandish things to make Gamecock fans look bad. Wolf in Sheeps clothing.
Base on what? The stuff I post on my schools board is thins you disagree with? Think what you want and continue to think the SEC isnt the best. You know good and well Bama is coming. Your taters will be lucky to lose to Ohio state so they don't play them.

Base on what? The stuff I post on my schools board is thins you disagree with? Think what you want and continue to think the SEC isnt the best. You know good and well Bama is coming. Your taters will be lucky to lose to Ohio state so they don't play them.
Because you always post the dumbest stuff I've ever seen. And, your avatar is the biggest anti-Semite since Hitler. You can't be real.

Reactions: colatiger803

That's my position.

Yes, I agree. The SEC hasn't had any "recent bowl struggles." In fact, conference teams went 9-2 in bowl games last year. A record number of wins that won't likely be broken for a long time (though if they keep creating new bowls, who knows?). The OP is taking a subtle dig at the SEC by repeating a false narrative.

Yes, I agree. The SEC hasn't had any "recent bowl struggles." In fact, conference teams went 9-2 in bowl games last year. A record number of wins that won't likely be broken for a long time (though if they keep creating new bowls, who knows?). The OP is taking a subtle dig at the SEC by repeating a false narrative.
Recent as in the last 3 sec bowl games.

I think the sec has an overload of talent on the defensive side, while having a scarcity of offense talent on most teams.

The league has went from a dominating league to a stout defensive league. It'll equal back out but it'll take some catching up to do on offense. The pro style QB is out for most college systems, and we're going towards a dual threat to combat athletic defenses. It's all about styles, they come and go and come back again.

you make it sound like 90% of the SEC gets drafted! not quite. Also there is a big difference in signing 1st round to free agent. Bowl gives another chance for anyone not elite 1st rounder to showcase their skills and affect their signing

There are no excuses...You win or you lose...It's a HBCs job to get his team ready to compete and win...I agree with those posting our conference aside from Bama wasn't very good this season...The future looks very bright very soon..There are new HBCs and some very talented freshmen QBs in the league

I have no doubt some teams are not as excited to be what the believe to be a lesser bowl than the one they perceive they belong. Look back a couple of years ago when Clemson play Tennessee and then LSU. Players from both SEC teams said they belonged in a bigger bowl and played very uninspired football. Also adding to the less than inspired play, LSU had almost there entire defense declare for the draft and played not to get hurt (leaving out blundering coaching decisions to pass the ball 3 times in a row with less than 3 minutes left in the game). There is only so much a coach can do to motivate a team.

But, I also think we get some crappy match-ups. For example, our game, we struggled to get to 6-6, were 5th in our division, and are a very average team (at best). We are playing the 25th ranked team in the country, with a 10-2 record, that was #2 in their division. We are not the only SEC team with this type of match-up.

Everything is cyclical..what is up will go down, and what is down will go up.

I just want to make sure I understand the arguments here.

If the SEC wins a bowl game it proves they are the toughest, strongest conference in college football.
If the SEC loses a bowl game, it proves they didn't really want to be there and had no interest in actually competing because they already play in the toughest conference in college football and all of the players are headed to the NFL.

Did I do it right?

Doesn't matter how - only that they do. I guess we've reached the point now that the only place being a winner matters is in the NFL. Great what we've done to the college game, or what the NFL has done to it.

Taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm going to say that the losing teams have less talent, poorer coaching or some combination of the two. This is the best explanation for losing. Everything else sounds like excuses, which is weak.

I really enjoy your posts. Please keep them coming.

I've stated for a long time now that USC doesn't get up for a meaningless bowl game against meaningless opponents.

Definetely agree with this thinking OP.

I think spurrier was on to something by recruiting all those 2 and 3 stars. He was trying to find some guys who could perform come bowl season.

We are just "out-talenting" USF today. Feels bad man.

There are just too many NFL players on the gamecock roster and they don't stand a chance against the bulls. But when can you do when all those NFL caliber gamecock lineman are just waiting for the NFL draft?
(Sigh...)

Everything is cyclical..what is up will go down, and what is down will go up.
I think the playoffs have taken the interest out of the bowl season, especially for the NFL bound players. We all know going in that one of 4 teams will be national champion so only those 3 games have any relevance. In prior years, there were opportunities for unexpected upsets to happen in the bowls that changed the final outcome.

Let's see... the last game was against the #3 team in the nation which also just happened to be a chance to beat SC's most hated rival and knock them out of the playoffs. So "up" for that one I guess. How'd it go again?

The whole thing is revisionist excuse-making of the most embarrassing kind. About on the level of "the election is rigged if I don't win." Why not just follow that example and be proactive about next season? "If we don't beat Clemson and win the title, the refs cheated us!" I'm sure sure enough people will swallow it.

SEC! LOL.

I think the playoffs have taken the interest out of the bowl season, especially for the NFL bound players. We all know going in that one of 4 teams will be national champion so only those 3 games have any relevance. In prior years, there were opportunities for unexpected upsets to happen in the bowls that changed the final outcome.
I think that was more true during the BCS era. At least now, two bowl games serve as playoff semi-final contests.

You've sunk to a new level. There's no need to make excuses for the SEC. Why did they win these games most every other year? No, the simplest, and most accurate explanation, is that the SEC just isn't as good this year as it usually is. Tough pill to swallow, I know.

The playoff shouldn't effect the belk bowl, or any bowl not played on New Years day

Reactions: Risses
You've sunk to a new level. There's no need to make excuses for the SEC. Why did they win these games most every other year? No, the simplest, and most accurate explanation, is that the SEC just isn't as good this year as it usually is. Tough pill to swallow, I know.
Why is this a tough pill to swallow? It should give you hope that you can reach the top of the conference faster. Still don't understand pulling for a conference unless you are winning the conference and want a higher strength of schedule

Can you point to the year between 1999 and 2013 when the national championship was not given to one of the two teams participating in the BCS National Championship game? I seriously don't know what you're talking about, so my memory may be going quicker than I thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT