ADVERTISEMENT

Are we ready for LSU

AikenGameFan

May 29, 2024
I just felt good about the UK game. I picked us to win by a small margin. Here is exactly what I said...Looking forward to a good game today. It will be tough, but I see Carolina squeaking it out, 24-21.

Well, I feel good this week too, but still feel a little conservative, 28-21 Gamecocks.

I really hope they prove me wrong again. Those guys improved greatly in one week. I really hope they did that again. I have no clue what the score will be, it could be 3-0 or 31-6, but I just feel we are going to come out of this with a win.
Some people say UK isn't a good team. Well, they were ranked #23 to start the season. If they had been able to finish their first game, they may have been ranked higher. If we win, some on here will say LSU ain't so good. We might have to wait on the Ole Miss game to prove if we are any good are not. I just hope for a win this Saturday. Make us 3-0 and we might get ranked.

I will be there with my rain poncho on yelling like crazy. It is another sold out crowd. That crowd looked really good at the start of the ODU game. We just need them to make plenty of noise. We need that 12th man.

I just felt good about the UK game. I picked us to win by a small margin. Here is exactly what I said...Looking forward to a good game today. It will be tough, but I see Carolina squeaking it out, 24-21.

Well, I feel good this week too, but still feel a little conservative, 28-21 Gamecocks.

I really hope they prove me wrong again. Those guys improved greatly in one week. I really hope they did that again. I have no clue what the score will be, it could be 3-0 or 31-6, but I just feel we are going to come out of this with a win.
Some people say UK isn't a good team. Well, they were ranked #23 to start the season. If they had been able to finish their first game, they may have been ranked higher. If we win, some on here will say LSU ain't so good. We might have to wait on the Ole Miss game to prove if we are any good are not. I just hope for a win this Saturday. Make us 3-0 and we might get ranked.

I will be there with my rain poncho on yelling like crazy. It is another sold out crowd. That crowd looked really good at the start of the ODU game. We just need them to make plenty of noise. We need that 12th man.
Unfortunately Gamecock fans, and I am one, are now suffering from Irrational Exuberance based on one average game — as we so often do. LSU is LSU and will dominate the field. I hate to say it but I see us losing the game 38 - 10. Feel free to blast me if it turns out otherwise.

Reactions: Areukidding1
It's going to be tough, another physical trenches game with the exception that they have better QB and receivers. Their D has been suspect on the run game so hopefully we have a game plan to exploit that. We;ve had tons of seasons where we have a big win only to go flat the next game, this is a turn the corner game for Beamer to show he can keep the guys focused and continue to trend up. I'm thinking it's going to be close, I like our Dline, but I'm not sure our DB's have really been tested.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
LSU is typical; of what we will usually face in the SEC: a team with players more talented than ours. That has been the case BEFORE NIL, today and, in all likelihood, in the future. We just have to hope we are close enough that other factors, coaching, home field, can help us prevail.

This is the kind of game where special teams can make a difference. We will need that.

Southern Cal did us no favor. If LSU was to lose this game, they'd have to run the table to make the 12-team playoff. They know that. Thus, I expect to see their "A game" on Saturday.

I'm not playing so I don't have to be ready. LSU will be very tough and it's unlikely we win.

I don't really care either way. I have a great Saturday planned and the game is probably last on my list.

I'm meeting my son outside the stadium for a little while Saturday morning to visit with him while he does some of this work.

Then I am driving back home to try out a friend's boat that he is thinking about purchasing. Might not get to watch the game at all.

The old saying "it is never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems" usually holds true. I think the exuberance of much of the fan base is over the score spread. As I watched the replay the other day, I saw a team that played well defensively but gave up a lot of rushing yards in the first half, but overall did a great job. Offensively, I say a team that for 3 quarters played little better than the ODU game and never got a viable rushing threat established. KY had some breakdowns later in the game that we took advantage of in the passing game that allowed us to score and of course we had the pick six that added to the score.

We will have to do much better offensively against LSU to win and our defense will face a much better QB on a team that won't be nearly as one dimensional. They will not only have to continue to get pressure on the QB who has a much better Oline than KY but they will have to be able to stop the run as well.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
I don't see our offense being able to score enough points. I think it will be a very frustrating day offensively. I hope I am wrong. I was wrong about the Kentucky game.

If we had one receiver- just one- that was the type of player that a defense had to fear - that could go up and make the tough catch to keep drives alive and could run in space and chew up yards, we'd be a different threat. But we don't have that. I sure wish we did. We don't.

I just want this team to make a bowl game- any bowl game. That's ALL I care about this year.

Hats off to the Gamecock players and coaches for making this an important game nationally. Very exciting! I think most reasonable fans had this game chalked up preseason as a probable loss. Now it looks like we have a decent chance. A home game and LSU has not hit it's stride yet. They don't look dominant. I think we can win, but my concern is our strength (DL) plays into their strength (OL) and our offense still sucks.
I'm picking LSU to cover the 6. I hope I am wrong. Go Cocks!

Reactions: cockofdawn
Unfortunately Gamecock fans, and I am one, are now suffering from Irrational Exuberance based on one average game — as we so often do. LSU is LSU and will dominate the field. I hate to say it but I see us losing the game 38 - 10. Feel free to blast me if it turns out otherwise.
So you are saying we have a chance

The pressure is definitely on LSU. The longer the defense can keep us in the game, the greater that pressure will be for LSU. If the defense can keep it close into the 3rd quarter, we may have a chance. Hopefully the players haven't been distracted by all the hype and gameday mess all week.

Reactions: PC31 and cockn'fyr
Sellers and the WR core seem to have found a little rhythm versus UK.

However, our offense is going to have to perform much better to have a chance in this game.

LSU has athletes all over the field and the odds that our defense can reproduce a result similar to last week is are very low.

Ok. Headed down to Gamecock Park.

I'll be in the Carolina Panthers hat and shirt. Let's go keyboard lard butts. Man up. LOL

Playing a team from Louisiana brings back memories. I went to my first South Carolina football game on November 2, 1963. My pee wee football coaches took us all to Columbia to see Carolina play another team from Louisiana........ Tulane. Coming into that game, Tulane had a 17-game losing streak. I believe it was the longest losing streak in the nation at the time. Well, long story short, we lost 20-7 to Tulane that afternoon. Should I have taken a hint of things to come as a Carolina football fan? I would love for us to schedule Tulane again. I want revenge before I die.

Playing a team from Louisiana brings back memories. I went to my first South Carolina football game on November 2, 1963. My pee wee football coaches took us all to Columbia to see Carolina play another team from Louisiana........ Tulane. Coming into that game, Tulane had a 17-game losing streak. I believe it was the longest losing streak in the nation at the time. Well, long story short, we lost 20-7 to Tulane that afternoon. Should I have taken a hint of things to come as a Carolina football fan? I would love for us to schedule Tulane again. I want revenge before I die.

I was to our local high school game Thursday night. They had a lot of pee wee football teams there. They let them run all the way across the football field at one point- different teams at different times. They were having a ball. Most of them look to be under 10 years old.

Wow, you really aren't much of a fan.

I don't see our offense being able to score enough points. I think it will be a very frustrating day offensively.

If we had one receiver- just one- that was the type of player that a defense had to fear - that could go up and make the tough catch to keep drives alive and could run in space and chew up yards, we'd be a different threat. But we don't have that. I sure wish we did. We don't.

BUMP

Sellers doesn't get hurt, we win or...
one specific defensive back learns to tackle, we win or...
another specific defensive back doesn't have three brain farts in one game, we win.

Hats off to LSU but I dont know if I have ever seen a game of ours where the reasons for losing and what we need to do to clean up has been so obvious. Lots to build on as far as I am concerned. Hopefully this is the last we see of this beating ourselves crap.

Shane told post game news conference he tells players to block the QB on interceptions.

That's terrible advice and unnecessary.

Just get in the QB's way. The officials are watching the QB on such plays. They are going to protect the QB- probably the only player they are really focused on.

Get in his way, slow him down- or -most of the time the QB isn't trying to get in the play at all. So there is no reason to block him.

Coach Beamer needs to change this advice and approach. That coaching cost the team today.

Sellers doesn't get hurt, we win or...
one specific defensive back learns to tackle, we win or...
another specific defensive back doesn't have three brain farts in one game, we win.

Hats off to LSU but I dont know if I have ever seen a game of ours where the reasons for losing and what we need to do to clean up has been so obvious. Lots to build on as far as I am concerned. Hopefully this is the last we see of this beating ourselves crap.
Jim Carlen always said the first rule was "Not to beat ourselves".

Tough loss. Great game.

Very well coached by our staff.

We're obviously offensively challenged with all the new pieces.

To put up 33 points against a team who had over twice as many 4 and 5 star athletes on the field is quite impressive.

The inflection point in the game seemed like it was when we went into the zone pass defense up 17-0.

LSU's QB was totally rattled by the pressure and crowd noise up until that point.

Should have kept the boot on the neck at home and gone for the kill.

The 3-man front allowed him to settle in and find his rhythm.

Nonetheless, an excellent effort by our guys.

Quite the opposite. We have a lot of talent and lack the coaching.

I think any fair observer of our offense would say we are quite limited on offense. We don't have a lot of talent on offense.

We are quite talented on defense. No doubt about it.

Shane told post game news conference he tells players to block the QB on interceptions.

That's terrible advice and unnecessary.

Just get in the QB's way. The officials are watching the QB on such plays. They are going to protect the QB- probably the only player they are really focused on.

Get in his way, slow him down- or -most of the time the QB isn't trying to get in the play at all. So there is no reason to block him.

Coach Beamer needs to change this advice and approach. That coaching cost the team today.
That's awful advice from Beamer. That definitely cost the team today.

Beamer was right when he said you can't have 13 penalties in a game and expect to win.

We made too many mistakes, especially at critical times. 3 ineligible receiver penalties in one game. I've never seen that. SMH

All that said, the game was closer than I thought it would be.

The season certainly is not over. Yes, Bama and Oklahoma probably have better talent than LSU. But, I don't THINK Ole Miss and Missouri do. So a good season is certainly possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: cocks rule
That's awful advice from Beamer. That definitely cost the team today.

Beamer was right when he said you can't have 13 penalties in a game and expect to win.

We made too many mistakes, especially at critical times. 3 ineligible receiver penalties in one game. I've never seen that. SMH

All that said, the game was closer than I thought it would be.

The season certainly is not over. Yes, Bama and Oklahoma probably have better talent than LSU. But, I don't THINK Ole Miss and Missouri do. So a good season is certainly possible.

Mizzou looked pedestrian for a while today. I have just seen this too many times to get excited.

After blasting akron, we're going to ask for weeks where is the team that played LSU or UK.

Reactions: jonesz21
Mizzou looked pedestrian for a while today. I have just seen this too many times to get excited.

After blasting akron, we're going to ask for weeks where is the team that played LSU or UK.
Football can certainly be a mind game. Who would have thought that Kentucky would play Georgia off their feet after being demolished by us?

Reactions: Lurker123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT