ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas fans take on the OC hire

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
Reading some Arkansas forums. Apparently Dowell is an outstanding recruiter. But they (fans) were worried he’d become their OC if Briles left. Others said hes resume was “too good” to keep him as just the TE coach.

I’ll say this…in this modern era, being a 5-star recruiter and 3-star play caller is probably more desirable than the inverse. Players have absolutely no sense of loyalty or commitment anymore. So developing them for 3-5 years in a great scheme is old news. Its plug and play now so we need recruiters, not playbook geniuses.

Reading some Arkansas forums. Apparently Dowell is an outstanding recruiter. But they (fans) were worried he’d become their OC if Briles left. Others said hes resume was “too good” to keep him as just the TE coach.

I’ll say this…in this modern era, being a 5-star recruiter and 3-star play caller is probably more desirable than the inverse. Players have absolutely no sense of loyalty or commitment anymore. So developing them for 3-5 years in a great scheme is old news. Its plug and play now so we need recruiters, not playbook geniuses.

I almost wonder if it's the opposite. Recruiting means less if the players just leave on a whim. The portal will fill the roster, so play calling with what you have seems even more important, imo.

I almost wonder if it's the opposite. Recruiting means less if the players just leave on a whim. The portal will fill the roster, so play calling with what you have seems even more important, imo.
Yeah thats my point though, bc modern players will just quit on their teams like its no more than a job at Chipotle, the coaches have to recruit 24/7/365 including the portal. I mean look how important Adkins is now. And Juice. Both were great FCS players that we plugged and played and they beat Clemson haha!

“They were worried about him being the OC if Briles left?“

Was AR good on offense this year? We made them look good with crap defense. Their last 8 games they scored 21, 26, 17, 35, 27, 19, 10, 42. Not great.

“They were worried about him being the OC if Briles left?“

Was AR good on offense this year? We made them look good with crap defense. Their last 8 games they scored 21, 26, 17, 35, 27, 19, 10, 42. Not great.
Dont know, just seen that on some Ark boards. They loved his recruiting but were worried he’d become OC if Briles left. They read the same resume we do I guess

Dont know, just seen that on some Ark boards. They loved his recruiting but were worried he’d become OC if Briles left. They read the same resume we do I guess
Hate to break it to them but just bc their oc has the name Briles doesnt mean he’s a good one. The names Jeff Scott and Skip Holtz come to mind

Hate to break it to them but just bc their oc has the name Briles doesnt mean he’s a good one. The names Jeff Scott and Skip Holtz come to mind

Bad head coach, but didn't Jeff Scott win national title (or two?) as an OC?

What bothers me is why we seem to have so many of our best players going through the portal. The ones we get seem to be big dogs at small schools or guys off the benches of big schools. With Shane Beamer being the positive energetic guy he is why don’t our best players want to stay?

You recruit those in the portal too. It diminishes hs recruiting but adds in portal recruiting.

Reactions: Lurker123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT