ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas fires Mike Anderson

Which means we can do it again if we can get the talent. We can get the talent if we can get rid of the unethical AAU coaches

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Which means we can do it again if we can get the talent. We can get the talent if we can get rid of the unethical AAU coaches
Really Man? Get rid of grassroots basketball and then what? There will always be some form of shady ethics. Whether it be High School Coaches, AAU coaches, or handlers. We just have not learned how to navigate the landscape. That will still be a problem if AAU coaches went away tomorrow.

...and Arkansas had more consistent success than us. Yet, we continue to hang on because we made a Final Four one time.
I do not think Anderson made the final four while being the head coach at Arkansas. He has taken Arkansas to three NCAA tournaments and never advanced past the round of 32. If you look at the decade of the 1990's, with the exception of one year, (1997 N.I.T) Arkansas made the NCAA tournament (back to back final four and one NCAA championship) every season. Nolan Richardson previous success has raised the bar at Arkansas. I think Mike Anderson did a good job at Arkansas and should have no trouble landing a job.

What I interpreted from your post is that you are ready to cut ties with Coach Martin. I disagree, because Coach Martin has South Carolina competing in the SEC. In the last four seasons, Coach Martin has put South Carolina three times in the double bye bracket in the SEC tournament. They just need to get over that hump and win that Friday game. If his players stay during the duration of the scholarship timetable, they drastically improve. Even the transfers that came to South Carolina (Booker, Myers, Campbell) were very effective at the end of the season.

I am glad that Coach Martin came to Columbia and accepted the challenge to make South Carolina competitive in the SEC. I think that no matter how much money you offer some coaches they will refuse to come to Columbia because it is a challenge.

I do not think Anderson made the final four while being the head coach at Arkansas. He has taken Arkansas to three NCAA tournaments and never advanced past the round of 32. If you look at the decade of the 1990's, with the exception of one year, (1997 N.I.T) Arkansas made the NCAA tournament (back to back final four and one NCAA championship) every season. Nolan Richardson previous success has raised the bar at Arkansas. I think Mike Anderson did a good job at Arkansas and should have no trouble landing a job.

What I interpreted from your post is that you are ready to cut ties with Coach Martin. I disagree, because Coach Martin has South Carolina competing in the SEC. In the last four seasons, Coach Martin has put South Carolina three times in the double bye bracket in the SEC tournament. They just need to get over that hump and win that Friday game. If his players stay during the duration of the scholarship timetable, they drastically improve. Even the transfers that came to South Carolina (Booker, Myers, Campbell) were very effective at the end of the season.

I am glad that Coach Martin came to Columbia and accepted the challenge to make South Carolina competitive in the SEC. I think that no matter how much money you offer some coaches they will refuse to come to Columbia because it is a challenge.
I am not quite there with Martin. However, there should be no excuses next year. He either has us dancing or this program needs to move on. We played well in the SEC season, but Martin didn't have his team ready to play in December. Those games count too. Every year, except for the Final Four Year, there always seems to be something holding us back and the head man, like him or not, has to take responsibility for that. I have never thought that Martin's style lended itself to recruiting well and sustained success. I felt that way when he came here and nothing has really happened for me to change that perception. Actually, I wouldn't be bent if we let Martin go and hired Mike Anderson.

Reactions: uscg1984
Boy Arkansas has had no success whatsoever since the coach that won a National Championship left. Can't remember his name.

...and Arkansas had more consistent success than us. Yet, we continue to hang on because we made a Final Four one time.

Arkansas demands more and cares more about basketball. Besides UK, Arkansas is the most passionate basketball fanbases. The program has a NC and 6 final 4s so they have far more success than Carolina and demands better teams.

Gamecock fan attitude is "Well, Frank has a Final 4 and a bunch of mediocre seasons but we've always been mediocre" Arkansas attitude is "Mike won on average 20+ games a year, but we have near 40 tournament appearances and a NC. We need better than good"

His teams have underachieved and it seems like they always had trouble in the half court and shooting the basketball. When he was at UAB I wanted him for our next head coach. I thought he would have done better than he has.

It seems Arkansas thinks they can do better. The most common argument I've seen for retaining Frank is that he's mediocre and we've mostly always been mediocre and we probably can't do better.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Po little Arkansas. Dem hillbillies is crazy. They'll never do better. - typical SC fan.

As someone who thinks FM is a good coach who's second right now only to McGuire, maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Maybe what we really need to represent SC is a Rick Pitino, someone who will win lots of games and run a high profile program where the only thing that matters is winning and making sure there's enough hookers and sneaker money to go around.

How's all those tourney bids going.. competing in the sec is fine. But if you only make the tourney once in seven years..that ain't getting it done

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT