ADVERTISEMENT

As a well known Martin defender Im here to say...

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
We crapped ourselves today. We had a chance to beat the worst team in the SEC and lost. Win that game and I thought 2 SEC tourney wins (regardless of who) and we would be dancing.

Now it’s make history in Nashville or get ready for the NIT run.

Reactions: Gaimcock
We crapped ourselves today. We had a chance to beat the worst team in the SEC and lost. Win that game and I thought 2 SEC tourney wins (regardless of who) and we would be dancing.

And as a Martin defender you should be happy with the norm.

Ben you and I have discussed this previously, just frustrating and on the verge of insane how Martin’s teams end the season. We lost what... 3/5, wash rinse repeat. Just not sure what the next move is

Had we beat the bad non conference teams, we'd be in the tournament.

Probably. We had our chances even with those losses. There’s going to be about 7 games we look back on and if we would’ve won 4 of them we would be dancing.....

Ben you and I have discussed this previously, just frustrating and on the verge of insane how Martin’s teams end the season. We lost what... 3/5, wash rinse repeat. Just not sure what the next move is

I appreciate you not kicking me while I’m down. It is very frustrating. I’ve been a Frank defender. I know some want him gone now. I’ll say this....I’m good with a dance next year or clean out the office talk.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
I appreciate you not kicking me while I’m down. It is very frustrating. I’ve been a Frank defender. I know some want him gone now. I’ll say this....I’m good with a dance next year or clean out the office talk.
Damn, what is it with you people. Always the same mantra. One more year and if doesn't happen..... Well then I will have to find the excuse to keep FM again.
Injuries
Bad Officiating
Bad Uniforms
Not enough fan support.
Who else will come here.
It's a leap year, so we can't fire him now for that reason alone.

That Pat Adams ref should be banned from ever working a USC game again. Our radio guys complain about him every single game he works us. He wouldn't be the first ref banned from working games involving certain teams. It needs to be done. He's awful!

Damn, what is it with you people. Always the same mantra. One more year and if doesn't happen..... Well then I will have to find the excuse to keep FM again.
Injuries
Bad Officiating
Bad Uniforms
Not enough fan support.
Who else will come here.
It's a leap year, so we can't fire him now for that reason alone.

You assume firing Martin will make it better. You could get your wish and get another Steve Newton or Darrin Horn.

Remember when Tennessee thought they could do better than Phillip Fulmer?

But firing the coach is always the answer. Carry on

You assume firing Martin will make it better. You could get your wish and get another Steve Newton or Darrin Horn.

So is the answer to never fire coaches and just sit around giving out extensions and raises because we're afraid to try to do better? ALL schools make bad hires -- even the mighty Alabama.

I've said it before, but the schools that we aspire to be like aren't afraid to try to do better. If they hire a coach that doesn't work out, they'll keep going until they get it right. At least show some effort.

That Pat Adams ref should be banned from ever working a USC game again. Our radio guys complain about him every single game he works us. He wouldn't be the first ref banned from working games involving certain teams. It needs to be done. He's awful!
WADR here, 'cause this is MY ignorance w/ the inquiry, but what other ref's have been banned from ref'n certain teams??

Again and with all due respect, I'm just askin'!!

Nobody knows the future. The next guy may not be "the guy" either. But when you aren't happy with where you are, you can't let fear of the future keep you from making a move. If the next guy is no better than Frank, or worse, then we'll move on to the next one.

It's not as if we haven't seen enough of Frank to know who he is and what he can do. With the exception of a 4-game stretch during the tournament in 2017, it's pretty much the same thing every year. EVERY one of his Gamecocks team have faltered over the last 10 regular season games (see my other post with the stats). Might his team next year go to the tournament? Sure, it might. But it will be another one-off season and not indicative of a trend. If Frank is here for 20 years, he will never build this program into a consistent tournament team.

Having said all that, there is one legitimate reason for keeping Frank another year. As long as Ray Tanner is the guy in charge of hiring his replacement, I have no faith that the next hire will be a good one. There's no need to fire Martin or Muschamp until Ray is out too.

So is the answer to never fire coaches and just sit around giving out extensions and raises because we're afraid to try to do better? ALL schools make bad hires -- even the mighty Alabama.

I've said it before, but the schools that we aspire to be like aren't afraid to try to do better. If they hire a coach that doesn't work out, they'll keep going until they get it right. At least show some effort.

I didn’t say NEVER. In fact I said next year or walk. See the post above.

We’ve fired and hired coaches since Frank McGuire. How many would you rate successful?

WADR here, 'cause this is MY ignorance w/ the inquiry, but what other ref's have been banned from ref'n certain teams??

Again and with all due respect, I'm just askin'!!
I can speak for how it works with the SCHSL. Schools can make one request per year, but it isn't something made public.

I didn’t say NEVER. In fact I said next year or walk. See the post above.

We’ve fired and hired coaches since Frank McGuire. How many would you rate successful?
1. I realize that. But you seemed to be mocking everyone that wanted a change, using fear of the unknown as reason to stay put for another reason.

2. Again, because we haven't done much historically, it sounds like you're against doing anything -- for now. (BUT, Fogler did win us our only SECC.) It may not seem like it right now, but I have also defended Frank over the years. He did, after all, clean up Darren Horn's mess and got us to the FF on a miracle 2 week run. But it's been eight years, which is longer than anyone since FM1 has had (I think.) We know what we've got by now.

Nobody knows the future. The next guy may not be "the guy" either. But when you aren't happy with where you are, you can't let fear of the future keep you from making a move. If the next guy is no better than Frank, or worse, then we'll move on to the next one.

It's not as if we haven't seen enough of Frank to know who he is and what he can do. With the exception of a 4-game stretch during the tournament in 2017, it's pretty much the same thing every year. EVERY one of his Gamecocks team have faltered over the last 10 regular season games (see my other post with the stats). Might his team next year go to the tournament? Sure, it might. But it will be another one-off season and not indicative of a trend. If Frank is here for 20 years, he will never build this program into a consistent tournament team.

Having said all that, there is one legitimate reason for keeping Frank another year. As long as Ray Tanner is the guy in charge of hiring his replacement, I have no faith that the next hire will be a good one. There's no need to fire Martin or Muschamp until Ray is out too.

Saw your posts on the last 10 games. Good research. No debating that. Haven’t finished strong at all.

I know I’m not the majority. The easy thing to do is to hit reset. Doesn’t make it always right. He has a lion share of the team coming back and therefore the pressure should be on now. I do think this team should make the tournament the next 2 seasons given the fact that it was close this season and provided everyone stays healthy.

Of course Miami has been a rumor so who knows.

I can speak for how it works with the SCHSL. Schools can make one request per year, but it isn't something made public.

High School coaches can “blacklist” up to 3 officials at the varsity level. The only way to blacklist a 4th official is to remove one of the 3 already blacklisted. This cannot be done at the lower levels (JV, 9th, Middle school)

1. I realize that. But you seemed to be mocking everyone that wanted a change, using fear of the unknown as reason to stay put for another reason.

2. Again, because we haven't done much historically, it sounds like you're against doing anything -- for now. (BUT, Fogler did win us our only SECC.) It may not seem like it right now, but I have also defended Frank over the years. He did, after all, clean up Darren Horn's mess and got us to the FF on a miracle 2 week run. But it's been eight years, which is longer than anyone since FM1 has had (I think.) We know what we've got by now.

1. I wouldn’t say mock. I try to respect all realizing:
A. We’re all Gamecocks (supposedly)
B. It’s an opinion ( no wrong/right)

There was one poster on here last week in an attempt to make his position stronger about the importance of FT shooting started to use words like dumb, stupid, irrelevant, etc....Of course today we were shooting 80% from the FT line and down 10 in the second half.

2. Frank has had the same amount of time as Fogler. We could argue who has had a better 9 years. Fogler could’ve stayed longer but it was painfully obvious he was burnt out and he didn’t have a relationship with Mike McGee. Fogler had 2 great years. Martin one. Both inherited similar messes.

Fogler was a good coach. He knew basketball. Hiring Dave Odom and the “warchest of credibility” didn’t fix it. Horn turned us into a JUCO. You can make a solid argument the McGee-Fogler pissing contest set up the last 20 years of crap sandwiches minus the final 4 run.

High School coaches can “blacklist” up to 3 officials at the varsity level. The only way to blacklist a 4th official is to remove one of the 3 already blacklisted. This cannot be done at the lower levels (JV, 9th, Middle school)
It can absolutely be done. The past 10 years we have blacklisted two of them.

It can absolutely be done. The past 10 years we have blacklisted two of them.

Yes you can blacklist up to 3. But if you try to do more than that you will have to release one of the previous 3....unless they’ve retired or quit officiating.

Yes you can blacklist up to 3. But if you try to do more than that you will have to release one of the previous 3....unless they’ve retired or quit officiating.
Okay. However, the communication we received from our contact at the SCHSL says 1 per year. At least, that's what it said about 5 years ago when we inquired. (We obviously don't complain much about officiating)

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Okay. However, the communication we received from our contact at the SCHSL says 1 per year. At least, that's what it said about 5 years ago when we inquired. (We obviously don't complain much about officiating)

Yeah I never did either. Two of my 3 were left on from the previous coach and I didn’t even know they were on there until several years later when I took action on the one official. Guess once they are blacklisted it sticks even if the coach changes until the school requests otherwise.

There was one poster on here last week in an attempt to make his position stronger about the importance of FT shooting started to use words like dumb, stupid, irrelevant, etc....Of course today we were shooting 80% from the FT line and down 10 in the second half.

2. Frank has had the same amount of time as Fogler. We could argue who has had a better 9 years. Fogler could’ve stayed longer but it was painfully obvious he was burnt out and he didn’t have a relationship with Mike McGee. Fogler had 2 great years. Martin one. Both inherited similar messes.

Fogler was a good coach. He knew basketball. Hiring Dave Odom and the “warchest of credibility” didn’t fix it. Horn turned us into a JUCO. You can make a solid argument the McGee-Fogler pissing contest set up the last 20 years of crap sandwiches minus the final 4 run.
Yeah, it looks like Fogler and Martin have so far coached here the same amount of seasons. I honestly dont remember if Fogler left or was fired, but I agree that he and McGee did NOT along. And they didn't really bother hiding it.

The only thing I would maybe add is that Hyman realized his mistake with Horn and owned up to it and fired him. And he didn't even give the obligatory five years. He fired him after four, and for good reason. He recognized that nothing good was coming and made a move. That's the attitude I think we need to see again in our AD. JMHO.

Yeah I never did either. Two of my 3 were left on from the previous coach and I didn’t even know they were on there until several years later when I took action on the one official. Guess once they are blacklisted it sticks even if the coach changes until the school requests otherwise.
I made two requests. First, a ref blew a call (no big deal(, turned it into a flagrant against my guy (the video...and his supervisor once he was shown the video...said otherwise), and topped it off by standing in front of my bench while the other team shot the technical FTS. So I very calmly stood behind him, told him I'd send the video of his mistake in the next day and that the next time he saw a game in our gym it would cost him $5. I wasn't causing a scene, obviously, but I intended to keep going until I got a tech.

I made two requests. First, a ref blew a call (no big deal(, turned it into a flagrant against my guy (the video...and his supervisor once he was shown the video...said otherwise), and topped it off by standing in front of my bench while the other team shot the technical FTS. So I very calmly stood behind him, told him I'd send the video of his mistake in the next day and that the next time he saw a game in our gym it would cost him $5. I wasn't causing a scene, obviously, but I intended to keep going until I got a tech.

Officiating 101. If you blow the whistle for a Tech, go to the other side of the court.

I hate when refs do not do this. It’s a power trip. They’re trying to bait you into an ejection. Unfortunately the high school league could care less.

Officiating 101. If you blow the whistle for a Tech, go to the other side of the court.

I hate when refs do not do this. It’s a power trip. They’re trying to bait you into an ejection. Unfortunately the high school league could care less.
Yeah, I knew what he was doing. I smiled at my assistant and said, "it looks like he wants to hear from me."
And you are right. It irritated me because I KNEW he knew he should have stood across the court.
He isn't officiating anymore. (Nothing to do with me, I'm sure)

One more year! One more year!

Yeah, I mean who cares at this point? Let's just go ahead and lock him up so he retires here.

Interestingly, Fogler was a UNC grad andMcGee a Duke grad.

Actually I am not assuming anything.
But what is evidently clear that FM is delivering sub standard to mediocre results. Yes, you do have one notable year, but one should not continue to hang on to one singular performance to justify retention indefinitely.

Actually I am not assuming anything.
But what is evidently clear that FM is delivering sub standard to mediocre results. Yes, you do have one notable year, but one should not continue to hang on to one singular performance to justify retention indefinitely.
Yeah, I've never said we should fire Martin. Never. But yesterday was inexcusable. If he can't win against a lousy Vandy team, he should head to Miami. He's reached his ceiling and the ceiling is the about the same as Odom.

One more year! One more year!

Yeah, I mean who cares at this point? Let's just go ahead and lock him up so he retires here.

you make it sound like I’ve said this every year. Typical frank basher comment except the fact that there’s no evidence I’ve “been saying this for years”

I often wonder if social media were around in Frank McGuires day how many of you would have run him off in 8 years or less

you make it sound like I’ve said this every year. Typical frank basher comment except the fact that there’s no evidence I’ve “been saying this for years”

I often wonder if social media were around in Frank McGuires day how many of you would have run him off in 8 years or less

This.

I'm a FM supporter and remain so. I'm disappointed in the loss to Vandy but not ready to throw in towel on this team or this coach.

The same lot that want Frank gone now, no doubt about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT