ADVERTISEMENT

As for us being in the SEC ...

Mar 12, 2016
I understand we make a lot of money out of the deal, and I realize the level of competition can be good for us. But do any of you ever wish we were not in this conference? We will never be the dominant program in the SEC. Not going to happen. I’ll confess there are times I wish Carolina was in another conference where it has a chance to compete and win. I realize we’re not going to leave the SEC, but at times I dream and wish that we could.

From a historical perspective, we were not a dominant program in the ACC when we were there, or the Southern Conference before that. Nor were we a dominant program in the Major Independent years.

South Carolina not being a dominant program doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the SEC. This is a program that is around 20 games over .500 over 126 years of collegiate football.

But results have trended in a positive direction over the last 20 years (the Holtz/Spurrier/Muschamp era), with consistent bowl trips, relatively consistent bowl victories, and exponentially improved facilities and exposure.

No way I wouldn't want to be in the SEC.

I understand we make a lot of money out of the deal, and I realize the level of competition can be good for us. But do any of you ever wish we were not in this conference? We will never be the dominant program in the SEC. Not going to happen. I’ll confess there are times I wish Carolina was in another conference where it has a chance to compete and win. I realize we’re not going to leave the SEC, but at times I dream and wish that we could.

It is not advantageous to be in a difficult conference at this time in college football. Not at all.

In talking about traveling to the moon, President Kennedy said ...
"We choose to do these things, not because they are easy. We choose to do these things because they are hard."

It's easy to bitch and complain. It's easy on come on this board and 'spew your venom' (phrase borrowed from a long time poster, from years ago). It's even easy to quit. But, ya know what? It's even easier to not even try.

Would PARTICIPATION TROPHIES make y'all feel better???

Reactions: GatorlandGamecock
"We choose to do these things, not because they are easy. We choose to do these things because they are hard."

It's easy to bitch and complain. It's easy on come on this board and 'spew your venom' (phrase borrowed from a long time poster, from years ago). It's even easy to quit. But, ya know what? It's even easier to not even try.

I don’t think anyone here is bitching, spewing venom, or asking for participation trophies. It’s a calm conversation of exploring ideas. Good grief, man...

IMO the SEC is the only factor keeping us afloat. The conference and our unique stadium lighting. Remove the lights and the conference affiliation and we are anyone of these programs....Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, etc. Basically a crappy football program located at the State's flagship University.

We had 100 years before SEC membership to become a championship program. That didn’t happen either. So, maybe it’s not the conference. Might as well keep cashing the checks.
We gave up what leverage we had gained in 1971. We won the ACC Championship our last year in that league. We were leading the conference with respect to facilities at that point. We were in a position to remain at or near the top of that conference. Men's basketball would not have collapsed, either. Baseball was going strong. Independence killed us, despite a few good years under Morrison. As for football, it could be credibly argued that, had we remained in the conference and kept up our commitment to athletics, UPC would not have won two national championships.

Wow man, settle down. OP just asked a reasonable question for debate.

IMO the SEC is the only factor keeping us afloat. The conference and our unique stadium lighting. Remove the lights and the conference affiliation and we are anyone of these programs....Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, etc. Basically a crappy football program located at the State's flagship University.
We have lights?

We gave up what leverage we had gained in 1971. We won the ACC Championship our last year in that league. We were leading the conference with respect to facilities at that point. We were in a position to remain at or near the top of that conference. Men's basketball would not have collapsed, either. Baseball was going strong. Independence killed us, despite a few good years under Morrison. As for football, it could be credibly argued that, had we remained in the conference and kept up our commitment to athletics, UPC would not have won two national championships.

To be such a pessimist in the present, you sure have a rosy view of the past. We won that league one time in 18 years.

To be such a pessimist in the present, you sure have a rosy view of the past. We won that league one time in 18 years.
But we won it in the two biggest sports our last year in it. And we had built the infrastructure that had us positioned to stay up there. Acting upon our persecution complex was the biggest mistake ever made by any athletic administration in the history of college sports.

Reactions: atl-cock
But we won it in the two biggest sports our last year in it. And we had built the infrastructure that had us positioned to stay up there. Acting upon our persecution complex was the biggest mistake ever made by any athletic administration in the history of college sports.
Agree with King Ward, as have said several times on this site that leaving the ACC was a big mistake. We were founding members and am old enough to remember and still miss the great rivalries we had with the North Carolina schools.
Of course as some have pointed out, we only won the ACC in football one time, but King is right that we were on an upward trajectory in both football and basketball when we got our feelings hurt about a football recruit and just gave up the ACC.

Reactions: king ward

You could be right, but I think it’s a stretch. With the benefit of understanding 120+ years of Gamecock football, about 80 years at the time of our ACC departure, I lack confidence that staying in the ACC would have made a difference.

The long arc of Gamecock history always bends back towards .500.

One point of factual correction, if you will allow it. We did not win the ACC our last year in the conference. We were 4-7-1 in 1970. Hardly an emerging, nationally elite team.

On basketball, I agree with you. Becoming an independent destroyed a once prominent program.

And overall, I think the ACC was a better fit simply because of geography.

You could be right, but I think it’s a stretch. With the benefit of understanding 120+ years of Gamecock football, about 80 years at the time of our ACC departure, I lack confidence that staying in the ACC would have made a difference.

One point of factual correction, if you will allow it. We did not win the ACC our last year in the conference. We were 4-7-1 in 1970. Hardly an emerging, nationally elite team.

On basketball, I agree with you. Becoming an independent destroyed a once prominent program.

Think you are right about the geography aspect. South Carolina geography puts us at a disadvantage with the Georgias and Floridas, etc.

Even when we shared the ACC with Clemson our rival consistently fielded better football teams than we did. I think they have always been more serious about football, and their fans more sensible and more respectful of their players and coaches. Have no explanation for this opinion I have except that one of the most revered coaches in Clemson history whose rock they rug had a losing record against the Gamecocks.

Reactions: king ward

iu

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I wish Carolina was in the same conference as Clemson. Simply to open up another non-conference game giving both teams opportunities for quality home & home series with other teams.

Teams whose main rivals are in conference simply have more options for scheduling.
Take that common sense somewhere else! I’ll do u one better, We would be a lot better off simply bc we get an extra W on the schedule if our rival is in the same conference.

Reactions: Johnstonesplumbinng
No way I wouldn't want to be in the SEC.

PER-ZACKLY!!!!

As per all you other "whiney, wish we were in the acc, Boo_Hoo_Hoo, Crybabies", Man the "F" up and quit cryin'!!!

The FACT of the matter is as follows: The University of South Carolina is simply a better and naturally fitting member of The Southeastern Conference, and in fact has been such LONGER than any other athletic conference with which it has EVER been affiliated with!!*

USC BLESSEDLY joined The SEC in 1991. We are currently in our 28th year as a very proud member of The SEC!! For those of you that still wish we we're in the acc, all I can tell you is that you really need to man-up and face the most fortunate reality of our Athletics Department and our athletic teams!!!

28 years of SEC membership, and some of y'all continue to tear-up in regards to 18 years of "pucker up and kiss _ss" membership within the acc!!

As I stated, some of y'all need to get a grip and be thankful for reality. Since joining The SEC, our success within ALL OUR ATHLETIC TEAMS have been wonderfully amazing, and with a heckuvalot more appeal in regards to our branding*** and national prominance as a member of The SEC!!!

*The University of South Carolina began participation within the Atlantic Coast Conference from the time of its iinitial origination in 1953, until its final year of acc membership in 1970. During its time of membership within the acc, USC won the conference championship twice; once in 1969, but also in 1965** (see below in regards to the 65 acc championship, and you'll see what's been forgotten in regards to "initial fuel to the fire" in regards to departing the acc).

** USC football's lost title team of 1965

There are few reminders of what happened to the 1965 USC football team.

Its record is listed at 5-5 in the media guide. A few players are recognized for All-ACC and other postseason honors.

But a glimpse at page 91 of the ACC media guide shows what transpired that season. The page includes a list of all-time conference champions. At the bottom right is a box entitled "1965."

It reads: "Duke and South Carolina finished the 1965 regular season tied for conference leadership with identical 4-2 league marks before ACC Commissioner Jim Weaver ruled that the Gamecocks had violated league rules in regards to the eligibility of two players and were required to forfeit all conference games in which the two players had participated. Due to the forfeit wins they received, N.C. State and Clemson, which had both lost to South Carolina, were declared ACC co-champions with 5-2 records in league play."

*** “It’s a brand,” Pastides continued. “You look at that logo and that is one of the most valued brands, and it doesn’t only mean successful financially.” See here (a VERY telling article in regards to how better off we are now prior TO ANY OTHER PREVIOUS conference membership!!): Joining SEC opened door to big-time football for USC.

Last edited:

It's interesting. I know for certain we've never replaced the in-league rivalries - the utter hatred for multiple schools and vice versa. I think that we had at least attained upper-tier conference competitiveness. Other teams were going to have to chase us in terms of facilities also.

It's interesting. I know for certain we've never replaced the in-league rivalries - the utter hatred for multiple schools and vice versa. I think that we had at least attained upper-tier conference competitiveness. Other teams were going to have to chase us in terms of facilities also.

I feel some healthy hate for UGa, UF and Tenn. Oh, and we have manufactured rivalries with ATM and Mizzou, with trophies involved!

Reactions: Gaimcock
The final toll will be 18 team conferences. Notre dame and SC could round out the ACC. That would be a very nice league. The reality is SC will never sniff a SEC title in football and the closest that we ever come was a massive beatdown to Auburn in the SEC title game. Our best chance would've been in the Spurrier era with the rest of the east being way down and it didn't even happen then. It seems now UGA, UF, UK, and a good chance UT have all went ahead of us. We're very close to the bottom and do not have a coaching staff at the present to pull us up to at least a competitive upper tier program in the division. If in the ACC we could be contenders depending on the division this year alone.

I don’t think anyone here is bitching, spewing venom, or asking for participation trophies. It’s a calm conversation of exploring ideas. Good grief, man...

Wow man, settle down. OP just asked a reasonable question for debate.

While re-reading my post, I can appreciate that it could be received, in its written form, much more adamant and aggressive, than intended.

However, I do not apologize. My Readers Digest point is, Gamecocks do not quit ... especially when times are tough.

Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
While re-reading my post, I can appreciate that it could be received, in its written form, much more adamant and aggressive, than intended.

However, I do not apologize. My Readers Digest point is, Gamecocks do not quit ... especially when times are tough.
It’s ok, man. I do get what you’re saying about quitting. I do agree with you on persevering. I’m just frustrated, but I’m cool with you.

Reactions: The Garnet Baron
I feel some healthy hate for UGa, UF and Tenn. Oh, and we have manufactured rivalries with ATM and Mizzou, with trophies involved!
And I think there's coming a time when the sense of rivalry will be developed with other fanbases - but it takes both feeling the same way about it to make it a rivalry. The fruition of that mutual animosity is not foreseeable, especially when these schools already have other longstanding rivalries. But maybe when another hundred years or so have passed...

Reactions: atl-cock
Um, we won the ACC title in football in 1969. Wake won it in 1970. Otherwise, I agree with the above 100%.

The final toll will be 18 team conferences. Notre dame and SC could round out the ACC. That would be a very nice league. The reality is SC will never sniff a SEC title in football and the closest that we ever come was a massive beatdown to Auburn in the SEC title game. Our best chance would've been in the Spurrier era with the rest of the east being way down and it didn't even happen then. It seems now UGA, UF, UK, and a good chance UT have all went ahead of us. We're very close to the bottom and do not have a coaching staff at the present to pull us up to at least a competitive upper tier program in the division. If in the ACC we could be contenders depending on the division this year alone.
WADR of course, but Thank God we're no longer in the acc, and:

Hallelujah Praise Be,
That we are in,
The SEC!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT