ADVERTISEMENT

As for us being in the SEC ...

remind me again what swafford did n regard 2 unc & how we may have received the same benefit.............the history of that conference kinda tells ya what they will continue 2 do................i'll hang up now & listen
With the conference as big and widespread as it is now, there is no narrow nexus of power now and the historical modus operandi has gone by the board. But it's all academic. The only way we will ever be in the ACC again is if we are placed there as part of a four or five super-conference structure that defines college athletics' largest division in the future..

I was only 12 or 13 at the time. Who was the recruit and what’s the story?
I believe the name was Isaac Jackson, but the same concerns could have been applied to Freddie Soloman. They could not have been admitted here using ACC admission standards in place at the beginning of the 1970s. But all of that was soon to change when the NCAA adopted uniform test score and GPA standards (achieved while taking a core curriculum) for admission, as well as scholarship limitations for all Division One schools.

With the conference as big and widespread as it is now, there is no narrow nexus of power now and the historical modus operandi has gone by the board. But it's all academic. The only way we will ever be in the ACC again is if we are placed there as part of a four or five super-conference structure that defines college athletics' largest division in the future..

rest assured everythin' still goes thru greensboro.............always has, always will.......chapel hill, durham & raleigh the proverbial devils triangle

Reactions: Gaimcock
rest assured everythin' still goes thru greensboro.............always has, always will.......chapel hill, durham & raleigh the proverbial devils triangle
The Tobacco Road hegemony has been greatly diminished. Plus, three of those schools literally hate each other.

We will never play for a NC while in the SEC. I cringe every time I hear fans chanting SEC SEC....although...it really is the only thing we can hang our hat on historically (playing in the hardest football conf) other than the 3 good Spurrier years. At some point reality sits in and we just become great Cock fans. Good or bad.....screw the fairweather fans!

Correct. Even now, the ACC we left no longer exists.

I'd still like to schedule more of our old ACC rivals in as many sports as is feasible. For me, Maryland counts as such a rival while Georgia Tech and VPI do not, even though I'd like to see the Hokie Gobblers and Yellow Jackets show up on schedules as well.

Glad Frank II has UVA on the schedule this year as a regular season, non-tournament game. Long time coming - it should have happened 45 years ago for the first time instead of 2018.

I believe the name was Isaac Jackson, but the same concerns could have been applied to Freddie Soloman. They could not have been admitted here using ACC admission standards in place at the beginning of the 1970s. But all of that was soon to change when the NCAA adopted uniform test score and GPA standards (achieved while taking a core curriculum) for admission, as well as scholarship limitations for all Division One schools.
If you couldn't score at least a 900 on the old SAT, maybe college wasn't for you.

If you couldn't score at least a 900 on the old SAT, maybe college wasn't for you.
I think all you needed was 800. But the ACC limited football scholarships to 40 per year when SEC schools were signing 90 and then weeding them out. But NCAA action leveled the playing field almost as soon as we left the ACC.

PER-ZACKLY!!!!

As per all you other "whiney, wish we were in the acc, Boo_Hoo_Hoo, Crybabies", Man the "F" up and quit cryin'!!!

The FACT of the matter is as follows: The University of South Carolina is simply a better and naturally fitting member of The Southeastern Conference, and in fact has been such LONGER than any other athletic conference with which it has EVER been affiliated with!!*

USC BLESSEDLY joined The SEC in 1991. We are currently in our 28th year as a very proud member of The SEC!! For those of you that still wish we we're in the acc, all I can tell you is that you really need to man-up and face the most fortunate reality of our Athletics Department and our athletic teams!!!

28 years of SEC membership, and some of y'all continue to tear-up in regards to 18 years of "pucker up and kiss _ss" membership within the acc!!

As I stated, some of y'all need to get a grip and be thankful for reality. Since joining The SEC, our success within ALL OUR ATHLETIC TEAMS have been wonderfully amazing, and with a heckuvalot more appeal in regards to our branding*** and national prominance as a member of The SEC!!!

*The University of South Carolina began participation within the Atlantic Coast Conference from the time of its iinitial origination in 1953, until its final year of acc membership in 1970. During its time of membership within the acc, USC won the conference championship twice; once in 1969, but also in 1965** (see below in regards to the 65 acc championship, and you'll see what's been forgotten in regards to "initial fuel to the fire" in regards to departing the acc).

** USC football's lost title team of 1965

There are few reminders of what happened to the 1965 USC football team.

Its record is listed at 5-5 in the media guide. A few players are recognized for All-ACC and other postseason honors.

But a glimpse at page 91 of the ACC media guide shows what transpired that season. The page includes a list of all-time conference champions. At the bottom right is a box entitled "1965."

It reads: "Duke and South Carolina finished the 1965 regular season tied for conference leadership with identical 4-2 league marks before ACC Commissioner Jim Weaver ruled that the Gamecocks had violated league rules in regards to the eligibility of two players and were required to forfeit all conference games in which the two players had participated. Due to the forfeit wins they received, N.C. State and Clemson, which had both lost to South Carolina, were declared ACC co-champions with 5-2 records in league play."

*** “It’s a brand,” Pastides continued. “You look at that logo and that is one of the most valued brands, and it doesn’t only mean successful financially.” See here (a VERY telling article in regards to how better off we are now prior TO ANY OTHER PREVIOUS conference membership!!): Joining SEC opened door to big-time football for USC.

I think most are just tired of losing especially in football and somewhat in basketball. That just has to change otherwise we are just in it for the money and not wisely investing it to win. I'm not against Ray but Hyman and McGee were pretty tough cookies. Coaches knew they had to win. Got to look at these high paid coaches and say, "Here's everything you need. Now go win"

Reactions: PC31
To be such a pessimist in the present, you sure have a rosy view of the past. We won that league one time in 18 years.
Not the same. That was the culmination of putting ourselves in a position we had built towards, and were prepared to continue. How long have we been in the SEC? 26 years? How many times have we won that? And have we placed ourselves in the top position for success in any way? We are always trying to catch up. We're building a football facility right now that will be second best in our own state - inferior to that of an ACC team we used to be ahead of in facilities. How have we been in the SEC this long and pulled off such a feat?

Reactions: Aoq
Her brother is a Tech alumnus.

How much of a "threat" Tech is depends on the sport.

Tulane's SEC departure was based mainly on the school's de-emphasis of varsity athletics. The asked the SEC for some football "relief", which was refused. Thus, the Green Wave's last SEC football contest took place in the fall of 1965, a 62-0 drubbing at the hands of LSU.

LSU and Tulane continued to schedule each other in football for many years after Tulane left the SEC, but dropped the series about a dozen years ago, since it wasn't competitive. They still compete against each other in all other sports.
Again, I know. I had two years of Latin in high school. Use alum for both sexes as it seems simpler and easier, and have observed from reading the posts that most do not have a clue about alumnus, alumna, alumni, alumnae, etc., and don’t seem to care anyway.

I think all you needed was 800. But the ACC limited football scholarships to 40 per year when SEC schools were signing 90 and then weeding them out. But NCAA action leveled the playing field almost as soon as we left the ACC.

J. Samuel Walker addresses the "800 rule" in his ACC Basketball book as well.

It was the 90 and weeding out which disturbed Bobby Dodd enough to convince the Georgia Tech administration to leave the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Okay Earle, assuming that I am geographically challenged, where, in your opinion, are the geographic centers of the SEC & ACC?

it ain't greensboro, maybe south of the border where u can also pic up some fireworks.........uknow fireworks.....somethin' like u'd find @ the cheetah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT